Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

quote:

One of the examples I wrote about in my book The Gaslight Effect: How to Spot and Survive the Hidden Manipulations Other People Use to Control Your Life, concerns a lovely woman, Melanie. In the story told, Melanie was frantic because she couldn't find the "right" kind of salmon (her husband likes wild salmon and the grocery only had farm raised) to serve at the dinner party for her husband's company. She knew her husband would accuse her of not caring enough about him to go to the store earlier in the day. Incidents like this were happening so much at home, Melanie began to believe he was right. After all, what was more important than her husband? Why wasn't she a more considerate wife?

She was unhappy almost all the time and, she really believed that she could be a better, more considerate wife. She began to look for evidence of her poor behavior. Melanie had lost the ability, over time, to see anything else wrong with the relationship, besides that she was a less than adequate wife.
It took a long time, and a lot of reflection and analysis, reality testing and self-management, for Melanie's view to shift and for her to reclaim her reality and her life.

/

source:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/power-in-relationships/200905/are-you-being-gaslighted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I had a nice discussion with my mom about gaslighting and how it negatively effects people when people behave that way towards them true story well peace

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Celluloid Sam posted:

I had a nice discussion with my mom about gaslighting and how it negatively effects people when people behave that way towards them true story well peace

thank you for your story sid

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

thanks, hirsute cabbage patch doll

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

just like social justice, gaslighting takes on an entirely different meaning when it's used by a bunch of internet losers

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I have to work on my birthday haha what's up with that no but seriously I work seven days a week it's pretty crazy

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Is there going to be a Discovery Channel show about this thread?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

VendaGoat posted:

Is there going to be a Discovery Channel show about this thread?

most likely.

I just noticed something....

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
how to avoid gaslighting: have an iq over 100

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKqE6jYfFnE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Relin posted:

how to avoid gaslighting: have an iq over 100

I don't want to join Mensa

• Locked thread