Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I once went to an Indian restaurant and they asked me on a scale of 1-10 how spicy I'd like my dish and being a dumb idiot I said 10 and paid the price, sacrificing my tastebuds in the process. Out of curiosity, can you train yourself to enjoy spicy foods and build up a tolerance to it, or is it just a personal tolerance that's different between individuals? I don't mind spicy things but I realized after a certain point I can't concentrate on the flavor of the dish and all I taste is the heat.

I've heard that if you cook red Indian peppers in coconut milk it makes the tongue-burning sensation last longer. Can anyone verify that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

CommonShore posted:

Yeah basically, to both. I've built up heat tolerance over my whole life. I remember being a real hot food wimp when I was like 18-19, but then I worked in a tex mex restaurant with practical jokers, and now here I am. I've known quite a few people who have gotten used to hot food from previously having been unable even to put black pepper on their food. I'm essentially at a point where I can eat any level of heat more or less, but I don't ask for "10." I tell them "make it tasty and I don't care how hot it is."
And coconut milk can make the heat spread around your mouth more. Capsaicin is fat-soluable, so... there you go.
Thanks. As far as paneer is concerned from what I've read the primary difference between it and cottage cheese is using lemon-juice in place of vinegar and adding it just after the milk is done heating up. Then when you're done squeezing out the whey and adding the salt you form it into a brick and press it down with weight for about an hour.

Control Volume posted:

Also the hard limit of how much heat you can handle is how much heat you can poop
Then I have been training myself well all these years.

Tamarind gets used a lot in Chinese/Korean/Thai dishes as well. I know I've heard of some specific recipes its been in but for the life of me I can't remember. My family bought some one time to make a weird Indian salsa. I've heard it's really good for barbecue sauces, and a cursory Google search mentioned Tamarind tea and candy.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I just had a thought. What if one made paneer with coconut milk and seasoned it with turmeric, paprika, and cumin?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

In regards to making paneer, this goon made a pretty good post about it complete with pictures in a cheesemaking thread. I think a proper cheesemaking thread would be great for any knowledgeable goon willing to write an OP for it, but here's a good blog post about it by ColdPie.

dino. posted:

For the person who asked about making paneer out of coconut milk: it won't work. In fact, coconut milk doesn't coagulate that way, so we use it in the South when we make dishes that call for a fair bit of acid, and a creamy consistency. It's that non-curdling that makes it so ideal in Thai curries that contain tomato, lime juice, and/or vinegar, and then vigorous cooking.

Thanks, you saved me from a disappointed afternoon of crappy coconut curd-milk. I did a quick google search and it looks like the paneer that is made from coconut milk goes through a different process with different ingredients, like gelatin. So really it's a mock-paneer for vegans/health-nuts. I'll stick with the ridiculously simple/delicious method.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 2, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Chicken (and Shrimp) Tikka Masala!

It turned out great! My dad bought a box of Indian spices most of which I know nothing about. I threw in some smoke powder, Ajwain seeds, and Pomegranate Powder. I don't know what difference they made but this was a lot better than the last version. I also used "whole" coconut milk and the tomato paste that comes from a tube rather than the canned kind. This is probably the best tasting thing I've made all year.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

CommonShore posted:

That does look good. Any more specific rundown to your recipe or method?

I just did the Food Wishes recipe, and since you have to both visit his blog and watch the video to see the recipe and it's not actually written down anywhere, I'll relate it here with additions in bold and substitutions in parentheses.

Vegetable Oil (Olive oil)
1/8 tsp each cardamom, smoke powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp each turmeric, coriander, smoked paprika, ajwain seeds, pomegranate powder
2 tsp each cumin, garam masala, salt
1 rounded tsp ginger, grated
4 cloves garlic, grated (or minced, whatever)
2-3 tbs clarified butter
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs (2 lbs diced chicken)
1 lb shrimp
1 onion, chopped
13.5 oz can coconut milk
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or not)
splash of chicken stock
2 tbs cilantro, chopped
feta cheese

Mix together cardamom, cayenne, black pepper, salt, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, coriander, smoked paprika, ajwain seeds, and pomegranate powder. Coat chicken in olive oil and spice mixture and brown in clarified butter in a pot over high heat. Remove from pot, lower heat to Medium-High and add onions. Cook until softened. Add tomato paste and cook for 5-6 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add in crushed tomatoes and deglaze bottom of pan. Add in coconut milk. Bring to a simmer, change heat to medium low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Cut up chicken to bite-sized pieces (or just buy it that way in the first place) and add to sauce with cilantro and smoke powder. Simmer 10-15 minutes (or 20 while you cook the rice) and add shrimp in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Serve over rice and garnish with feta cheese and more chopped cilantro.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Ranter posted:

Aside from Tikka Masala, are there any other British inventions attributed as Indian but not technically authentic that people really like eating? Wondering if there's other dishes I'm not getting access to in the USA. Tikka Masala is the only thing I know of.

Here's a riddle. If it's a dish that comes from a Bangladeshi cook that works at an Indian restaurant but the restaurant is in Glasgow, UK, is it Indian?

It's like calling hamburgers and frankfurters German dishes instead of from the good and true United States of America :911:.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Illinois Smith posted:

This is also why it's generally a bad idea to use olive oil like MrSlam did above, since it has a low smoke point and you want really hot oil for this (generally, throw a cumin seed in there, if it pops right away the oil is hot enough).

To be fair, all we had was olive oil and I didn't plan on cooking my chicken in excess of 410 degrees. Canola or peanut oil is usually the best widely available oil for high smoke-points, particularly peanut oil since it has a neutral flavor or so I have read. For some reason though peanut-oil is hard to find in my neighborhood, and when you do find it it's only in gallon-size portions.

But according to Wikipedia Ghee has a higher smoke point than either of those.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 10, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Ranter posted:

So I found a meetup on meetup dot com where a lovely woman will teach Indian cooking classes in a test/school kitchen. I've signed up for the next one in the bay area, and am looking forward to learning from someone that knows whats up from their own Indian mother.

Definitely report back on how it goes!

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How long does crushing spices take? TBH I don't even own a mortar and pestle.

Other folks probably have better experience than me. The only spice I've ever had trouble grinding in a mortar and pestle is cinnamon. We couldn't find it for whatever reason one time and I ended up using a bowl and a spoon. Some people have a grind setting on their food processor, and other people buy dedicated coffee grinders just to use on spices. It comes in handy, say, if you want to powderize some roasted dry peppers. But with just a mortar and pestle and simple spices it doesn't take very long at all.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Where is everyone buying goat meat? I want the goat meat.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Crosspostin

MrSlam posted:

Screw plating! Screw presentation! Here's a big ol dutch oven (half) full of Curry Stand Tikka Masala

I don't feel right using store-bought curry powder so I made my own with Chow Hound's "Traditional" British Curry Powder

Turned out pretty good. Could've used a bit more salt. Plus I used actual ginger instead of ground ginger which I think would've given it more kick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Mikedawson posted:

Hey, I'm poor and was looking to try something new that's also fairly cheap. What are some good curry recipes for someone who's experienced with cooking western dishes, but has never tried making indian food?

Also, this is embarrassing to admit, but certain hot things (e.g. tobasco sauce, cayenne pepper, sriracha) cause me to get the hiccups. With that in mind, would I be fine with a hot curry?

I wish I had something to share with ya but it's just a chicken Tikka Masala recipe. It's one of two ways that I know how to make it and that is all the Indian food I know how to cook so far. But I'm learning!

But food's food so the only major differences I've osmosis'd between western and Indian cooking is that there's a lot more spices (grind your own spices when you can and toast them as you're making it if you can) involved in Indian cooking and a lot more yogurt and clarified butter (ghee). The biggest problem I think you'd run into is getting spices cheap. A lot of the recipes I see call for Garam Masala which is a spice blend and is usually $5-6 where I shop. As far as hotness is concerned, I always substitute cayenne for non-hot paprika since everyone in my household hates spicy things. You can replace tobasco sauce with vinegar (mixed with paprika?) and sriracha with any sweet chili sauce that you can find in the Asian section of the grocery store.

As far as recipes to look up, I'd recommend Naan bread, tandoori (cooked with your oven broiler or a grill), Murg Mahkni (butter chicken), vindaloo, pakora (stuff fried in chickpea flour), and tikka masala.

Also an easy way to get clarified butter is to microwave the butter and skim out the solids. But I haven't been clarifying my butter lately cause I'm a lazy fat rear end in a top hat.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 2, 2016