Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even what Ocelot says rings true when referring to venom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's also cool how it affects the original metal gear and metal gear 2

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

All the snakes are virgins.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Big Boss hosed Miller on the beach.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
In my opinion, the story is parallel to what Kojima experienced at Konami, and is once again, genius.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

loving this.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

They just jacked off together.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

In Training posted:

How many times do I need to disprove this?

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Black Baby Goku posted:

It didn't work out as planned, which is why I found it interesting.

It could be interesting but I'll prolly be forever salty about the mgsV story. I try to bite my tounge about it tho because it makes fanboys have foxdie attacks when I point out the inconsistencies.

Retarded_Clown_ fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 30, 2016

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

It could be interesting but I'll prolly be forever salty about the mgsV story.

Don't be. Kojima is Nintendo made flesh.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Exactly. Once Kojima reveals MGSV was all a ruse and the REAL metal gear 5 is coming out any day now people will understand his brilliance.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

snake being a silent protagonist mostly was the most upsetting thing to me

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

I've been playing it recently more though because I've been trying to do runs spending as little GMP as possible in my loadout and I realized you can hold guys up with the squirt gun and if they won't submit right when they're lowering their arms you can squirt them and their red triangle will turn blue

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

If that's the case why bother giving venom snake the plastic surgery
tyhe patriots and skull face know what he looks like.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

tyhe patriots and skull face know what he looks like.

Why continue the ruse after he's dead then especially since most of the patriots are on big boss' side except for zero who is now braindead and the AI wasn't advanced enough to be a problem yet

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I dont think there's really much consistency between entries, I like that each one tells its own story. the tone of each is usually reflected in teh gameplay too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I dont think there's really much consistency between entries, I like that each one tells its own story. the tone of each is usually reflected in teh gameplay too.
Yeah, MGS4 makes no sense if you actually remember the other games, and MGS3 and V might as well be in totally different worlds from 1 and 2.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, MGS4 makes no sense if you actually remember the other games, and MGS3 and V might as well be in totally different worlds from 1 and 2.

its funny how 4 has to tell you what all the characters of 3 did after the game to make them weird enough to fit in

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

In Training posted:

They all work together for the most part until 5 where it just becomes glaring. Why would Big Boss go along with the plan to have a soldier serve as a pawn when he hates when soldiers are used as pawns. 5 is a great game but the story is trash.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

There are some stupid things about 4 but to me it fits in better with the overall story than V does (and that's saying a lot considering). 3 was a big retcon for a lot of things but it was acceptable.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

its funny how 4 has to tell you what all the characters of 3 did after the game to make them weird enough to fit in
I still don't buy Major Tom as some sort of world-changing mastermind.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

There are some stupid things about 4 but to me it fits in with the overall story than V does. 3 was a big retcon for a lot of things but it was acceptable.
I haven't finished V yet but it's definitely a totally different game in tone and content. I've just been ignoring the canon and Ocelot being a cowboy now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

They all work together for the most part until 5 where it just becomes glaring. Why would Big Boss go along with the plan to have a soldier serve as a pawn when he hates when soldiers are used as pawns. 5 is a great game but the story is trash.

It's more important that the story deals with the phantom pain themes than it has to gel with Big Boss's image, to me.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
i always thought he never had the plastic surgery and it's just in his mind. Every time he meets anyone who should know what Big Boss looks like (except Ocelot who's in on it and Kaz whose eyes are messed up) they don't recognize him or they realize immediately he's a different guy. All reflective surfaces show his real face. Even Quiet who presumably had been shown a picture of the guy shes supposed to kill knows it's not him-- "the patient in the next bed saw me" or whatever she says

I guess it doesn't make sense if your Venom isn't white and Eli insists he's your clone still. I don't know anymore

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I haven't finished V yet but it's definitely a totally different game in tone and content. I've just been ignoring the canon and Ocelot being a cowboy now.

Yeah it's fine if you ignore the plot the game is fine but I was really looking forward to that part which is why I'm salty but I've accepted it. at this point I feel like they should've just said outright in the trailers that you're playing as Big Boss #2 man or whatever and he was a willing participant in the ruse and just have it be marketed as 'the adventures of Big Boss second in command' from the get go.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not that attached to Big Boss, really, so that probably helps. I like Solid Snake more.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Yeah I actually wish we could've gotten another game with not-old solid snake

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Yeah I actually wish we could've gotten another game with not-old solid snake
I'd be interested in another present/future MGS game where you don't play as Snake but he shows up.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The Truth tapes are incredibly godlike.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think Kojima kinda did show you that you weren't playing as big boss from the get go... Looking back

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

The Truth tapes are incredibly godlike.

the one where cipher visits the hospital is insanely good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

There are some stupid things about 4 but to me it fits in better with the overall story than V does (and that's saying a lot considering). 3 was a big retcon for a lot of things but it was acceptable.

4 makes insane pains to fit itself, and MGS3 into a bigger story and that's why I always thought it felt so awkward and poorly written

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Alain Post posted:

4 makes insane pains to fit itself, and MGS3 into a bigger story and that's why I always thought it felt so awkward and poorly written

its cool because its insane

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MGS4 is mostly well-written and interesting, but the MGS3 tie-ins don't really work. All the stuff about the changing nature of war is amazing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You can't really call any game that opens with MGS4's first cutscene poorly-written.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think I just generally prefer it when games are like, their own things and don't care that much about a bigger franchise. MGS3 sometimes comes across as its own thing entirely, taking place in its own universe, but that's why I like it. It was self-contained.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Story: MGS2 > MGS3 > MGS4 = MGSV = MGS1 > Peace Walker

Gameplay: MGSV > MGS3 > MGS4 = MGS2 = MGS1 = Peace Walker

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i didnt appreciate the literally hour-long cutscenes in MGS2 that all amounted to nothing because the villain got possessed by a ghost at a critical moment. mgs2 is still an insanely cool game though

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Every MGS is a god-tier game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Black Baby Goku posted:

I think Kojima kinda did show you that you weren't playing as big boss from the get go... Looking back

Watching my friend start a new game the other day they make it extremely obvious even if you haven't played it before but it's not something you would even be thinking about the first time playing

• Locked thread