Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Well at this rate I'll never start a chat thread, oh well at least I can get on the first page of this one.

Helped brother load up the E28 535is parts car last night onto a tow dolly. Bad part was he forgot the key, wheels were at full lock, had to push it up hill and we didn't have a jack or come-along. That is one heavy rear end car but we got it done. Then we took the 928 out to celebrate, let him drive and we got the best parking spot. Two people looking at it today, here's hoping I end the day with some cash in my pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Promise to and also put some effort into an OP and we'll let you have it
Was joking, I don't want it

fyodor posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on having children or any strong opinions about handheld consumer electronics?
Nope none whatsoever. I like dogs, here's Mom's 12 week old pup

Beer festival in town, rained for a good 1/4 of it. Still some drat good beer and good times. They really should have worked with some of the local food trucks though, would have made a killing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Tide posted:

Holy poo poo. GIVE THAT DOGGE ALL THE PETTES RIGHT NOW.
Dog routinely gets all the pettes all the time. I got home in a few weeks, sorry family but I'm only going to see the dogs and race

Wrar posted:

Holy gently caress Orphan Black.
Yeah pretty much, gets a little convoluted at some points but is a pretty good show

blk posted:

The Lotus Esprit was my childhood dream car. I told myself I would never bother with one unless it was an S4S in a nice color like silver.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162049210344?rmvSB=true
gently caress. I should really put that money to college savings for my kid instead. Right? Right?
What do you think this is Automotive Sanity? Always loved the Esprit and lucked out years ago having a student bring one to a HPDE, fun little cars. Can't remember what model his was exactly but I remember it being boosted and it hung with the E36 M3's on track with MUCH more style. I'm all for buying clean, low mile examples of old cars that are also fun as hell to drive.

freelop posted:

Totally missed the April chat.
Did people say gently caress 2016 a whole lot?
Na, we argued about pointless poo poo a lot instead.

Thanks to KozmoNaut's coffee effort post in last months thread had the best cup of coffee I've made at home today.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 1, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Trump is in town.

Someone just told me that can't wait for that ni&&er to get booted out of the White House.

The only political signs I've seen out by my house in the middle of nowhere are his. I really want to take one and deface it then stick it in my yard but Trump supporters are loving nuts and I don't want my house burnt down or tires slashed.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Seriously are any of y'all going to EDCNY?
Because you should.
Also we should chill.
Was thinking about it but too much poo poo going on at work and other people being out of town. Also no go for me picking up the project car and visiting you this weekend :( Dang people taking time off. Any chance you're headed to Imagine in late August?

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I used to have dreams toward the tail end of semesters that I had a class that I had just forgotten to go to for months. Fortunately that was never real.
poo poo I still have those from time to time and I graduated almost eight years ago.

meatpimp posted:

Edit: I know nerds are going to poo poo an eggroll about this, but I just got a Google OnHub router to play with. Easiest loving setup of any router I've ever seen. Basic app to control it, up an running in less than a minute. Signal range seems pretty good and strong... better than I had expected... and I haven't even started to play with the IFTTT integration that they just added (and the reason that I got it). It may even replace my main router (and older Netgear R6300) if it keeps making me happy.
I saw the IFTTT mention for this a couple days ago, hadn't even heard about it before but now I'm kind of thinking of buying one. Not sure what I would actually use it for though. I use IFTTT on my phone but so far only to change backgrounds and auto turn off my hue lights.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Honestly tho, maybe I'll do myself in with an early heart attack anyway but I am noticing a widening gap between other men around my age and myself as to physical condition. I'm nothing special to say the least but still......
poo poo I turned 30 this year and the physical condition gap of friends and peers is scary. I'm not in perfect shape and never will be but I'm not 300lb and can run up a flight of stairs without getting winded. Not going to lie I love it and it makes dating pretty easy. Have a date with a hot doctor tonight who seems really excited to meet me!

Time to go load a truck, yay!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

I dunno about Imagine but I'll be at Moonrise (with literallyafish and AcidRonin) in early August.
I'll see if I can swing it, that's the weekend after a race but that's a pretty nice lineup already. We'll be camping at Imagine and have at least four spots so far confirmed with several more likely.

Adiabatic posted:

Anyone here churn, or do all of you have really lovely credit scores?
The wife and I are going on some trips later this year on Southwest's dime :getin:
No idea what the churn thing is it was called churn but with all the international trips, miles over the year and switching cards a few times for bonuses I've been able to do a few trips on different airlines. Now I'm almost out of miles :( Should look into things and see if it would be worth switching to a different card and/or airline or even just switching cards and using bonuses.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Siochain posted:

Weathers nice, gardens on the go, yard work getting done, and I bought a kick-rear end new RC that I can hoon the gently caress out of.
What did you get?

88h88 posted:

Seeing as this is the AI forum, can I have opinions on the film Speed Racer? Personally I feel it's a massively underrated film, pure joy from start to finish, and oh what a finish it is.
Still watch it occasionally. It's so over the top it's great. Roommate in college and I probably watched it 2-3 times a month on the projector while pre-gaming.

:agreed: and it's going to be a good month all drat month long

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Siochain posted:

Arma Talion - 1/8th scale 4wd truggy. Brushless, goes like loving stink, tumbles like a dirty bastard. Its incredible. So much fun.
Good choice, 1/8th buggies/truggies are the best bashers. First thing I did when I bought my T-Maxx (original, long time ago) was drop it to buggy height, slap in a .21 then proceed to break everything. And that's how I learned to fix poo poo which eventually transitioned to cars.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Nice! Good to see you finally settled on something. Lithium batteries and brushless motors have made the hobby so much easier than days of old. Essentially maintenance free silent land missiles with run times of 30+ minutes? Count me in! I dropped every last nitro car 9 years ago after getting my first lipo brushless setup. I do still have the 1/5 scale gassers but those are different animals entirely.
I for some reason still have every R/C I've ever owned even though they just collect dust. I come back to them every couple years for a few months and most of the time can't be bothered to mess with the nitro stuff anymore. So much easier to toss a lipo on the charger and go tear around the yard. Only exception is my original Raptor 30, fucker fires right up and runs great on whatever I throw at it.

jamal posted:

Got charged by a bear with a cub today, that was pretty exciting. I yelled at it and it stopped and I was riding downhill so I kept rolling. Glad I didn't have to try to fight it off with my bike or something, did not have any bear spray with. She was pretty small at least.
Saw a mountain lion or some big mean looking cat when I was out on the trials bike last summer. I've never gone so fast through that section of trail in my life.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

"Guys, please stop hitting Reply All!"

Work just migrated all our email to the cloud, the default reply action when using the web interface is reply all. As expected it's been a mess

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Hey, he could have purchased a BMW 1-series 116d like the jackhole that cut me off earlier. :v:

Didn't even know they did those in the US.
I had one of those as a rental overseas and loved it. Didn't know they were available in the US either Not showing up on BMW USA site :( Would have been more than I want to spend on a VW replacement anyway.

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm throwing my resume at pretty much every non-embedded s/w job on glassdoor, then i'm going to go on us jobs.gov and go ham on there too

TIME TO GET ME A BIG BOY JOB, BOYS
Didn't you just start the newest job? Thought it was going good

MustardFacial posted:

It's front wheel drive, just do some lunch tray doughnuts.
Metal trays last much longer

Got the fun cars out just in time for European Cars and Coffee today. Forgot how much smoother and quieter the E28 is at speed compared to the 928. Need to tear into the VW today and see if my pads or rotors are shot, it's giving me the VW version of Goatse on the dash.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 7, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Tide posted:

I loving bored.
I get in the same slump once and a while. Usually just have to force myself to start projects for a while until it becomes a habit again. Even if I dread starting I usually enjoy it once I'm started even if it's something as stupid as pressure wash the deck or fix the dryer :argh: Also lists as iwentdoodie mentioned, crossing poo poo off that list feels good.

Ferremit posted:

This weather here is insane! We've had 30mm of rain in the last 4hrs, recorded a 63kph wind gust in my back yard, Averaging 42kph and it just shredded my steel back fence. The cats are going bonkers and its generally shitfull and raining sideways outside.

WE ARENT MEANT TO GET CYCLONES IN ADELAIDE?
Please don't die, that looks like some nasty poo poo

Ferremit posted:

100% fool proof way to kill poo poo with it is mix it 40ml in 1000ml of diesel and apply it to cut stems, it will gently caress up trees if you do that!
All this blackberry talk minds me I have a bunch of thorny bramble poo poo at the base of my yard right by my neighbors fence I need to deal with this year. Was going to clear it out before it grew in this year but that didn't happen. I swear the mess went from just vines and sticks to thick fully grown in a weekend. Chemical warfare might be the right solution but I'd have to be careful, neighbor of course has massive rose bushes growing along the fence line.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I'm surprised how many people didn't realize this (not calling you out). I know a few people who have dropped 50+ lb and they have to watch their intake very closely and if they stop working out for any reason (sick/injury) they have to drastically reduce calories otherwise the pounds pile back on fast. It really sucks but just further enforces the 'healthy is a lifestyle' thing. Was talking with someone last night that dropped 35-40 pounds in the last year and despite training twice a day four days a week minimum her maintenance calories are super low.

MustardFacial posted:

$3200 2015 Birel chassis with LO206 engine, an extra set of tires and the kart stand. Wife won't let me get it because "you're going to be a dad in 3 weeks." Someone doesn't have their priorities straight. :colbert:

Why did I have to move somewhere with no good kart tracks less than three and a half hours away :( Those things are so fun and comparatively so cheap. As Leica mentioned once the kid is old enough if they're interested get them in a kart asap. Friends son races in the kiddie league at 5 I think and absolutely loves it.

Adiabatic posted:

Pull Sumo Eat Butt
Have hit a wall on conventional, looking at switching to sumo if I don't get through it this cycle (5/3/1). Also trap bar DL's own

Brother just had a mandatory health screening at work...came back overweight, depressed and high cholesterol. Maybe he'll finally take me up on the offer to use my garage gym that he drives by twice a day and is free.

Deadpool DVD arrived last night, watched it at a friends on their big rear end TV and great surround sound system. Some decent extras from what we watched. First movie I've bought in at least 5 years other than gifts for other people.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

Spending the next week on the Gulf coast and proposing to my GF while down there so wish me luck dudes.

We've talked about it enough that's it not really going to be a huge surprise to her, it's just the formality of the thing has me nervous. :shobon:
Dude you've got this, congratulations!

literally a fish posted:

Everywhere you go, no matter the place, no matter the industry, when you peel back the curtain, everything is held together with duct tape and prayers.
So drat true it's scary. At every level it's just fancier duct tape. I spent most of my day yesterday driving, seven hour round trip, to spend less than an hour on site looking at something. The customer demanded an engineer on site to look at a couple things, didn't even fix anything just voiced my opinion on a few things.

Noise Complaint posted:

Anyway, the wife is looking at ~2012 TDI Sportwagens to replace her Jeep. Anything we should look out for? The prices are very nice right now.
Haven't heard any horror stories from the couple people I know that have them, they love them. Prices may drop a little more once everyone gets their $5k from VW for depreciation.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

100 on a bike also totally depends on the bike. If you're on a quiet, sport touring bike or the like and you're in full gear with reflective gear most cops don't even glance at you.
Aerostich on a BMW sport touring cops will wave as you go by them most of the time. Even my SV650 seemed invisible to cops...and other drivers :sigh:

Around here they won't bother chasing most of the time. They'll just wait for you to wreck then scrape you off the pavement. Once they have your plate and description it isn't worth the risk, a few have run only to find them waiting in the driveway when they get home.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

A lot of cheap jeans don't stretch, which I need for riding bikes. If I get non stretch jeans that fit my thighs, then the leg openings are too loose and catch on the chainring.
Any recommendations? I'm buying new jeans every 6 months to fit my thighs, getting annoying.

Anyone have any info on longevity of Dodge engines? 2008 caravan with the 3.8L engine. Maintained according to schedule and currently has 180k, we're wondering how long they usually last. 90% or more miles are interstate going back and forth to dog shows. She's just worried it's going to hit 200k and blow up leaving her stranded somewhere.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

ilkhan posted:

I'm wearing 541s. They fit well and have enough thigh room for me. Be nice to have a little more lower leg taper, but they are ok as is.
I'll give them a shot

leica posted:

I change the oil in my Toro once every two years. It's about ten years old now and I'm still waiting for it to poo poo so I can get an electric mower and be done with gas powered lawn tools for good.
Bought a new mower last spring, should have went electric but oh well. I'll probably replace my weed wacker and leaf blower with electric this or next year, they don't get used much and mixing small batches of gas is stupid.

Negromancer posted:

Any suggestions for any software to help design a small building? I am trying to finalize the design for a 10x10ft detached office I am building in my backyard, and just wanted something other than graph paper. I was messing around with sketchup, but it just seems overkill for what I want and I can't quite wrap my head around it. I should probably also figure out somewhere to post my basic plans just to be sure I am not being stupid, though I am pretty sure I am going to over build it.
If you just want layout type stuff floorplanner.com is pretty good. Otherwise sketchup or autocad are what I use for basic framing type stuff.

MrChips posted:

New Sheep Game time ahoy!
Click the sheep in the Subaru and follow your dreams...

Also, something interesting for this Sheep Game - through the generosity of the folks at Camshaft Software, I have been given a Steam key for Automation: The Car Company Tycoon Game to give to the winner of this edition!
YES

Phone posted:

lawnmower chat: I'm moving in July (i need to get a mobile cool shirt setup working stat) and i need to mow the lawn
find something off of CL or just grab a toro/honda from lowe depot and go nuts?
Holy poo poo cool shirt for mowing, genius. I had one setup for motorcycle touring but never though to use it for yard bullshit. I watched CL and pawn shops for a while but ended up getting something from Lowes with a three year warranty. If I was doing it again I would have bought electric.

Spent a long weekend in WI visiting my parents and racing. Got to play with this little monster, 3 months old and 31lb. Now I really really want a dog :argh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rhyno posted:

New question. How do I move this heap 100 feet without a tow truck?

Know anyone with a 2-wheel car dolly? Otherwise I'd jack up that corner, toss it on a moving dolly/skateboard and push/pull it. Have moved several hosed up cars this way...including through the yard.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

bolind posted:

So the old man's new Octavia is fitted with the 1.0 engine... On one hand, it's pretty impressive that they're able to wring out 115hp and 200Nm out of a one liter three cyl. On the other hand, FFS Dad, jut for once tick a fun box or two.
I've spent the last week looking at building up an older BMW engine I have laying around with a goal of around 100hp/l. The fact that a cheap commuter motor is making 115hp/l is pretty drat impressive especially because it will likely do that for at least 100k miles with only basic maintenance.

Looks like I'll be spending my day doing online training, open up email this morning and a bunch of classes have been assigned due Monday :fuckoff: Tunes and snacks, here we go.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Well that's a fun new toy? Plans for it?

Cage posted:

I bought something from rockauto yesterday at 10am and its being delivered today. Never had that happen before.
I wonder what magnet Im going to get.
Hope your rockauto luck is better than mine. New master cylinder arrived DOA after taking a week to show up :argh: I just want to get that stupid car on the road but everything is taking way longer than it should. As I hit submit they called, new one arrived!

Kastein saw your wiring sperg in Spyder's thread, I'll be bugging you when I start putting together the harness for the race car. Will most likely be building it from scratch and while I don't need to go full motorsport levels (https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_ecu.html) I may.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 26, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I'm not supposed to have my phone in the cable company head end but I do anyways, fuggit. Just left a job at the poo poo plant. Not a fun couple hours smelling that.
He's not talking 'not supposed to have your phone in here'. He's talking bring in your phone and you will never see it again, do it a couple times and lose your job.

leica posted:

I honestly like watches/jewelry but wearing it drives me insane and I can't stop fidgeting with it :smith:
I like watches, I've gotten a few as gifts but can't stand wearing them either. Thought I'd get used to it but no even after a month it bugged the poo poo out of me. Same with all those fitness bands and crap.

About to go pick up the 320i:woot: It has driven less than 50 miles under its own power in the last ~4 years, tomorrow I start daily driving it. Guesses on what fails first and how many days/miles I can go before a failure?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

About to go pick up the 320i:woot: It has driven less than 50 miles under its own power in the last ~4 years, tomorrow I start daily driving it. Guesses on what fails first and how many days/miles I can go before a failure?
Well so much for that. They mentioned the brakes were pretty bad but worked so I didn't bother bringing a trailer or anything. Worked is apparently really open to interpretation, they barely stopped the car at parking lot speeds. Then I got to see the work their "expert welder" did and it looks like garbage. Now I have to figure out when I can borrow a truck and rent a tow dolly to go get it. Dammit now I remember why I always do all my own work and never take anything to a shop. Was in a great mood and looking forward to driving it home but not anymore :fuckoff:

Pham Nuwen posted:

Some places, they toss it in the electronics chipper after confiscating it! Fun times.
Always fun to see the reaction when people realize they really aren't getting their phone back. All those signs you walked by aren't a joke and we weren't asking to bug you. If they're feeling really really generous they'll just wipe it and give it back after a few factory resets.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

MustardFacial posted:

Dudes. I have a daughter. Let's hope I don't gently caress it up.

Congratulations man! I'll echo the get her in the garage and a dirt track car or dirt bike asap

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Sigma X posted:

I tested out RaceRender, looks good. I'm going to start capturing datalogging as well, since I already have two tools to do it with. Hurrah.
What are you using for data/telemetry? I've thought about doing overlay on our car but right now the only thing we have for capturing data is the Aim Solo. Guys asked me if I could do a video feed and telemetry so I've been looking at options.

MustardFacial posted:

One of my friends took me out for a "hooray you're a father" drinks. In which we got into a discussion of what it would take to go to either the Montreal GP or the Austin GP. I quick texted my dad and he said he'd be down for lending me his 27' RV. So that's transportation and accommodation covered. We just need to save up the money for gas, food, booze, stupid bullshit and tickets.

This is a feasible plan :getin:
I'm trying to get a group of friends together for the Austin GP, you should go to that one.

Noise Complaint posted:

I got a VAG I can stuff things in. I'm pretty stoked. Turns out the whole emissions scandal means TDI prices are in the toilet. Considering this purchase is meant for the wife to drive into the ground like she did with her VW Rabbit I'd say we did pretty good.
Also the Sportwagen is pretty sexy-like.

Good choice that will be a great car. Last I heard VW was buying back (at pre-scandal prices) the cars and crushing them, Dad's not thrilled but I can't imagine it being mandatory.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I hope everyone is having a good Saturday :cheers:
Had a pillow fort date, highly recommended. Good Friday, good Saturday.

Anyone watching the Nurburg 24hr? I checked earlier this morning and watched some of the sleet/hail racing. Looks like conditions are much better now. Watching the official stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMc5Z3xJgUU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

TDIClub and nearly every VW Forum have gone this way.
TDIClub used to be so good too :saddowns: E30Tech used to be good then died, R3v is meh at best but there's good info if you're willing to dig.

ExplodingSims posted:

So does anyone here use the Big Green Egg?
It's time to get a new grill, and I keep hearing people say great things about the Egg, about the way it cooks and whatnot, so I'm wondering if it's worth the cash.
It'll be the first time I'll be using a charcoal grill as well, but everyone I've talked to who owns on loves it.
Friend has one and loves it, I love the food he makes on it. If you're not smoking things or plan on super slow cooking I don't think it would be worth it for general grilling. If you're just doing grilling occasionally a basic Weber seem to be the way to go.

Phone posted:

Nexus 5 + a 10Hz GPS + RaceChrono
:hfive: excellent

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

26 hours on the bike this week - 661kms in just 6 days. Was going for 700, back decided it wanted no more today. Hopefully I'll make 700 in a week tomorrow.
You're a mad man, that's impressive

Am I an idiot for thinking it would be fun to build up an engine instead of going with a stock one for a track car? Kind of have my heart set on a high revving I4 (build up) but a stock I6 would be safer, easier and more powerful. The ~100lb saved by the I4 is nice but in the end will only be a 5% difference in weight...will improve the handling though. Price SHOULD end up being pretty similar. I've never built an engine so that could be fun.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Wrar posted:

You can always start with stock and build one.
Hmm suppose that is an option

Holy poo poo end of this 24 hour Nurburgring race is amazing...about 1.25 laps left, 1st and 2nd place within a couple seconds of each other.

edit: final lap 0.7 seconds separating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

MustardFacial posted:

Bought myself a driving appliance on the weekend. 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS.

The seller knows one thing about cars* "change the oil every 5,000km" which he did religiously. In addition to that it, the guy wasn't a cheapskate and whenever the mechanic recommended that something be replaced, he did it. This was backed up by the 2" thick folder the guy had containing the invoice for every single thing he spent on the car, even down to the antenna ball. As a result this thing feels brand new even though it's got 103,000km on it. There is only one issue with it really and the reason why he sold it; the sway bar end links are done, looking at a diagram they look pretty simple to replace, let's see how much this will set me back:

Those are the people I love buying cars from, way less chance of hack jobs and PO fuckery. My first E30 was owned by the same guy all it's life and was always serviced at the dealership. Didn't even now when I went to look at it then he handed me several binders full of receipts. Then of course I bought it and hosed with everything :downs:

• Locked thread