Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My brother is great. He had no mechanical aptitude until he bought a knackered Spitfire, learnt everything. This week he picked up new timing gear and fast road cams and sent me pictures of the neat stuff the shop had in front, i.e. Prototype hatchback Triumph Herald. In the background, real AC Cobra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I have hopes for the priesthood improving, assuming the Cardinals don't throw Pope Francis out a window in the next year or two.

Abolish abstinence and let priests be normal family men and women, maybe in 70 years it'll have improved.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Have you noticed the more sexually repressed your culture / religion is the more violent you are?

The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth

Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.

Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.

When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.

If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.

Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.

Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.

Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.

Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.

Do not harm little children.

Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.

When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah if I was to rewrite that for me I'd say if you achieve something by chance alone don't make anyone yourself included think it was due to skill.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

The battery in my Galaxy S4 Mini is bulging in a rather unnerving way, but the new 4th-generation Moto G won't be out for another month or two :emo:

E: Are any of last year's model phone worth a drat? Like the Nexus 5X or Moto X or something? Battery life is important.

The answer is always moto G.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jared592 posted:

The touch screen accuracy sucks though. :(

I've not noticed this in mine compared to any previous phone.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Jesus seems like a pretty cool dude, it's the fan club that bothers me.

I want to know what was on the other 6 tablets Moses didn't carry down from the mountain all at the same time because he was a gigantic pussy ONE TRIP EVERY TIME HRNGGGGG

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

So I posted these partly in jest but:

Cakefool posted:

The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth

Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
Don't stick your nose in where it doesn't belong, seems pretty good.

Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
Flip side of the above? No problem

When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
I have no problem with this one

If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy. Don't take poo poo from idiots, okay, seems a little extremely worded but again, flip side of the above

Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal. loving bingo right there.

Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
shalt not steal, gotcha.

Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.Kastein covered this one. :haw:

Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
I like this one. If you chose to do it to yourself it's on you.

Do not harm little children. No poo poo

Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food. I'm not a big hunting for sport fan anyway. What's a human animal?

When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him. Strong wording but turning the other cheek just lets jerks be jerks. What's that they say about all evil needing to flourish?

I have no problem with these really, welp, looks like I'm a Satanist.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We need a lot fewer English people in Canada. They bring their thug culture of soccer riots and daytime alcoholism here and don't even know what side of the road to drive on.

Can we set up an exchange whereby if someone proves they're not a colossal dipshit they can be exchanged with someone who is?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

This seems like an exquisitely bad idea but I'm also kinda at half-mast over here already. It's not visible in the pictures but after 10 years in the sun, the rear view mirror plastic basically crumbled and is spread all over the floor. Luckily they had louvres on the back, a cover on the (already-cracked) dash, so only the front seats got turbo-hosed.

I assume because this was posted in the past you now own this?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tide posted:

I loving bored.

I feel like I've just hit a wall with anything and everything that brought me enjoyment. I haven't turned my ps4 on in like 4 weeks, completely disinterested in flying (thou last few months bills from the club I'm in probably has something to do with that - which is why I am serious entertaining buying a plane), no car projects look interesting...

There's some home improvement projects I need (and want) to do but I just can't make myself start them.

It's weird. For the first time in a long time I have both the means and time to do just about whatever I want and not really interested in doing anything. Just a rut?

Build a plane.

But seriously,

nm posted:

Buy a bicycle.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

meatpimp posted:

How does a fish drown? This whole page confuses me.

If it held it's breath would it drown or suffocate?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Anyobe drive the new turbo Mustang yet?

Not read about any mass pedestrian deaths so I'd guess no?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cage posted:

And iceburg lettuce is poo poo for you and is basically junk food after you add cheese and dressing and whatever else.

That's nearly the dumbest thing I've read all day.

Rice is junk food after you add cheese and sauce and whatever else.

Ice is junk food after you add cheese and sauce and whatever else.

An empty plate is junk food after you know what forget it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cage posted:

Tbh what you said is pretty dumb too. Plain rice tastes delicious and no one eats ice by itself just like no one eats plain lettuce by itself. I'm just saying iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value.

Saying it's junk food because of what you put on it is dumb. No it's not a fad "super food" but it contains vit A, K and fibre. You might eat plain rice and think it's delicious but others don't, just like some people think lettuce by itself is nice.

Why the gently caress am I defending lettuce on the internet?

E: just to be sure I'm replacing lettuce in my diet with whisky.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just checked and no-one cares what lettuce is in my fridge. Not even me and I'm the only person who eats it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Just finished taking a licensing test to teach special education and I feel like I did really well on it. Will have results in 17 days, and it'll open more teaching doors for me.

Also makes you uniquely qualified to talk to us :yayclod:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've just realised what the Google self driving golf car reminds me of from the front, a tiny bay window vw bus. That's been bugging me for ages.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Have you seen the Subaru kei van ones? :3:

Yes :3:

iwentdoodie posted:

Question for the UK people: how is the graham norton show seen by you guys? Funny or poo poo?

Enough people think he's hilarious to sustain his lucrative career. Personally I dislike his gimmick but I watch almost no tv of that type.

I dropped about £600 this weekend on car parts, tyres and service bits. That's a lot for me but £140 was a complete set of tyres for the panda and most was brakes for the multipla. Ended up with two new calipers on the back because the piston was seized on one side, handbrake seized on the other but that brings the total service and wear cost over three years to £375 not including tyres. I don't think we're ever getting rid of this car unless the engine blows. Even then I think I'll put the effort in to swap in a replacement because it's a perfect family car.

So I was working on this hideous vehicle on the drive, jacked up, covered in brake dust and grease wearing garage clothes with tools strewn everywhere and a couple pull up in a body-kitted range rover to look at the house next to us. They see me and just reverse straight outta there without stopping, hilarious.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It getting however many kits you'll use works out the same price as buying decent ones of each you're ahead on space and maintenance.

E: apparently not lol

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Could you by a powered version of each tool separately for less?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Or look at it the other way, for only a little more, you could have an actual old tractor.

I have about 200sqm of lawn and when my wife was complaining about having difficulty manhandling and pull starting the lawnmower I found I could buy an old sit on mower for the price of a decent electric. They have electric start. Couldn't convince her it was justified.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fine but they're not measuring "high", just "had THC in their system", which could be days after.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Take the job, turn the company around and perform a bloody coup. Then give yourself a raise.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

So I thought getting into archery would be a fun little hobby, then I borrowed a bow I might buy and the club staff all nerded out hard setting it up for me, there are spreadsheets and everything. I spent three hours and shot like 60 arrows max.

Now it's pilsner and Archer to relax.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Recurve with basic sight and no fancy gimmicks or accessories.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

freelop posted:

I help run an archery club, we don't go into crazy detail like that.

Guessing you've gone for an archery GB affiliated learning course though?

Yep yep yep, completed, certificate, joined the club and got an Archery gb membership.

Tomarse posted:

I'm so sad that the club here are twats :( can I drive over your way and join yours?

South Moorlands Archery Club, Cheadle. They're always open to new members, bunch of old people but they're a laugh. I think they have a Facebook page now :yayclod:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Apparently I have good form and I've not yet come away having pulled a muscle. I understand getting the kit set up right is important but I'm looking forward to just working on my grouping rather than tweaking the bow.

Also I need to lift a weight, as this bow is forged and the one the club leant me was plastic :v: what's a good source of starter info/advice?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

freelop posted:

There's a good archery thread here

I haven't been able to shoot for a couple of months due to straining a muscle. It sucks

I didn't know we had an Archery thread! Thanks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think you all need to block corn.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

British post:
Con: A tooth just broke.
Pro: it'll be fixed this week for £60.

Local to me steam railway also has a military event on during my birthday this weekend, going to go pose the kids in some weapons of mass destruction.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fatbikes look great fun but I can't imagine actually buying one with real money on purpose.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

7th gen Civic vs 9th gen corolla vs 1st gen Cobalt.

with bonus points given to the Cobalt for having cheap parts and being easy to work on.

Go.

I'm sorry, AI has exceeded it's commuter car allotment, you're allowed a Buick Roadmaster or 80s turbo lotus :colbert:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Splash some water in your face, you'll feel better.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wait what are you guys talking about? I only know K-cars as tiny Japanese tax-dodging shoe boxes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Just had a nice long chat with someone about why their job sucks and this company shares some characteristics with cults, think that may have been the nudge needed for him to leave, I just hope he doesn't mention me in his exit interview :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Tangentially related, the Cappo got pulled up on its MOT for rust today. Nothing too horrible, just a small water trap created by the outboard rear mounting points for the seat.

In order to properly look at what I'm dealing with, I've had to pull up the carpet, and I'm pleased to see that there's a good Waxoyl residue in most places. If I can fix the small patches I have to do now and top up these and any other bits that have been missed previously, it should last a good while.

Not bored of it yet then? :forkbomb:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's my 35th today, the weather's fantastic, I've got a fridge full of local beers, there's a military weekend at the local steam railway, the day's looking good goons.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Poked around a couple of pingauzers, a Gaz radio truck and untold jeeps, rode the miniature railway with the kids, decent morning out. My parents are dropping by later, there's (locally brewed) beer cooling in the fridge, today has been a nice reminder that life can be good.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bloody Queef posted:

Oh yeah I should mention budget. I'd like to be at 7,500ish for a running okay example. This would be hard with the TR6, I think. And wouldn't be a daily driver, it'd be our 3rd car for 2 drivers.

E: I'm going to have to buy a first gen miata, aren't I?

Do you want to own a classic car, or enjoy one? Own, classic. Enjoy, miata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tomarse posted:

I've been rebuilding my dashboard today.

Behind the now-empty clock hole is my new brake fluid reservoir, which I can fill with a funnel (it used to have a remote reservoir on an expensive master cylinder. Now it has a normal cheap landrover larger bore combined unit!)

I want to make an easily removable cover for the hole. any good ideas on how to do it?

I was wondering if i could make it from steel and then use some magnets to keep it on there (the rest of the dash is ally, so i'd have to attach them behind it and make them strong)

Once I've worked out how to cover it, I want to mount a couple of gauges to the cover (just on a long wire). I've got a small LED strip fuel gauge and a flat digital Air/fuel gauge - so its got to be solid!

Is this the 101? I have to come see this at some point. I'd try to make a bayonet/screw fitting plug but I don't know how hard it'd be to mount something behind the hole that's bigger than the hole.

Yeah, maybe magnets.

• Locked thread