Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

meatpimp posted:

Somebody has a huge hard on for making the monthly chat threads. That is a really sad crown to wear.

Usually I agree with you but this is just rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

lol go beat off with your own tears or something

Also rude.

People quit being rude.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Seriously are any of y'all going to EDCNY?

Because you should.

Also we should chill.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Does anyone here know how to collimate a newtonian telescope with anything resembling accuracy? I've tried every bullshit cut a piece of paper peer through a pinhole pile of absolute loving horseshit on the net and nothing works, I Just Can't Do It. If I could pay someone to do this I would but there doesn't appear to be anything like that in this country and I'm out of ideas.

They sell laser collimators that plug into the eyepiece. There's really no other way to do it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Was thinking about it but too much poo poo going on at work and other people being out of town. Also no go for me picking up the project car and visiting you this weekend :( Dang people taking time off. Any chance you're headed to Imagine in late August?

No worries yo.

I dunno about Imagine but I'll be at Moonrise (with literallyafish and AcidRonin) in early August.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Anyone here churn, or do all of you have really lovely credit scores?

The wife and I are going on some trips later this year on Southwest's dime :getin:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

250k miles here... is that a "yes"?

drat yo. What airlines?

That Companion Pass though...

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

United. I still need to do the Sapphire Preferred 40k pickup for my wife, I've just been lazy.

That said, I put almost everything I buy on credit for the points, so it's not all churn points.

My kids barely know what "hand money" is.

That's awesome. I was looking at that Sapphire Preferred but I couldn't pass up that Southwest deal.... 110k points in three-ish months and the wife flies free.

keykey posted:

Not that I'm aware of and no. What's a churn?

Using sign-up awards and points accruals for credit cards to your advantage. Free airfare, flight status, free hotels, cash back, etc.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

AND MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE WHO I TOTALLY HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN ABOUT NO SIR NOPE

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'll see if I can swing it, that's the weekend after a race but that's a pretty nice lineup already. We'll be camping at Imagine and have at least four spots so far confirmed with several more likely.

No idea what the churn thing is it was called churn but with all the international trips, miles over the year and switching cards a few times for bonuses I've been able to do a few trips on different airlines. Now I'm almost out of miles :( Should look into things and see if it would be worth switching to a different card and/or airline or even just switching cards and using bonuses.

I have never heard of Imagine but I'll look it up for sure. Also blah blah blah reddit sucks check out r/churning

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hey guys

This month is pretty great, don't you think?

:unsmith:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:aaaaa:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hey does anyone remember the Samsung Galaxy S4?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Maybe the question isn't who, but what.

Has the Gorester been kept under constant surveillance?

I heard a rumbling last night. I'll check the garage for remains, Bajaha.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Man May is a saucy month

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

MrsAdiabatic posted:

Everyone should lift all the things anyway. Each of us should be developing our future old man strength now.

LOL if you're a goon who plans to live longer than below average lifespan though.

Came here to say this, but wifey beat me to it...

Pull Sumo Eat Butt

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The wife and I are gonna rent a manual 4x4 hilux when we go to costa rica later this year

:getin:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

keykey posted:

DONT! STOP! TURN BACK! When we go to Costa Rica we always hire transportation. If you get into an accident, even as a tourist, you won't be allowed to leave the country until your case is heard in.. Maņana..some friends of ours got out 3 weeks later.

It ain't that sort of trip. We'll take our chances I suspect.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

As a raging turbonerd I

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Both of you, tell me more. My wife and I were this close to going to Puerto Jimenez last year but spent too long hemming and hawing over it and then the prices spiked. Ended up being way cheaper to go to Hawaii, but Costa Rica is still very much on the to-do list.

I dunno yo. My wife and I got this Southwest Companion Pass jazz and a shitload of miles, and San Jose & Liberia are two of the international Southwest destinations. We're in the early phases of planning, but the wife is a pretty experienced international bum. Staying with friends, in hostels, camping, etc.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

alternate.eago posted:

At this point I'm not sure if you two are actually married or not.

I don't think you are, but I'm not 100% sure anymore

http://imgur.com/bWJCgO0

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Try being an interesting person.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Too mean.

I'm feeling rather saucy today

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Wait poo poo I'm confused who's winning the victim game

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Your outlets look sleepy

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

I'm also trying to switch industries and by the time I get out of school and start looking for a job I will be 34. I also feel like colossal loser.

Would you rather be in that industry or 34 or not be that industry at 34? It's the only pertinent question you should be focusing on.

IN OTHER NEWS...

:siren: I'M OFFICIALLY HALFWAY DONE WITH MY MASTER'S DEGREE :siren:

Despite sliding in with my rear end on fire in Power Systems Analysis this semester, I'm still 4.0 strong throughout the entire fucker. I'm gloating because gently caress you I'm legitimately proud of myself and I really want to savor this particular milestone.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

^

That makes me happy.

:krad::hf::perfect:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Enourmo posted:

Man all this over/under 30 talk scares the gently caress out of me considering I'm graduating right around my 30th birthday.

Don't let generalities dictate your specific actions. If you're good at what you do, those that are looking for good people will hire you no matter what.

We're looking for senior industrial piping/heat exchanger mechanical/process engineers, by the way. Doesn't matter how old you are.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

gimpsuitjones posted:

June Chat Thread: Bitch About Your Job (or lack thereof)

I hated my first job out of college, so after a year I transferred to a different department.

Figured out it was the company after another year so I lined up a few interviews and took vacation days to go about them.

Got my current job, and I loving love this job. I get to make my work and I have the freedom to work on whatever I deem important. I'm meeting with my VP today to pitch a multi-million dollar project that will save the power company SO much money, and it's all because they gave me the freedom and culture to be able to look around for opportunity.

GO GO 2016 HYAH

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Siochain posted:

Except he, unlike you, is correct.
gently caress Diamonds, gently caress the Diamond industry. Also, they are boring-assed gems. Buy your SO's something fun that isn't just a compressed piece of black poo poo.

Or, and go with me on this, maybe get her what she wants because you love her and understand that what you find important and what she finds important may not be mutually inclusive.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Or holy poo poo you like watches

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Omega Moonwatch or any Breitling is the correct watch choice.

My dad's got a Breitling Chronomat with the blue face. Man that is a beautiful watch.

He got me a Tag Heuer Formula 1 a few birthdays back, and it's one of my favorite possessions.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Posting a picture because I'm a big ol' nerd:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I have super duper small girl wrists

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

WANTED: Raleigh NC goon with a trailer or VA goon with a dealer license for Wet Hot Vantasy Action

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Enourmo posted:

I was being totally sincere, and definitely not sarcastically expressing the same sentiment you are sincerely.

How's puberty

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I actually like Rutledge Wood but he would be nicer on his own. If I had dumb money I would buy equally stupid poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPGNmVqF0c4

I mean look at this poo poo. Dude fits in with AI better than most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAGx0lsUN4I

Dude has an E30 monster truck. And an '83 Civic wagon with avocado green plaid Recaros. And a rear-wheel-drive turbocharged 2JZ swapped Scion xB.

I have a new appreciation for Rutledge Wood now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

My vote is to keep this thread open until July.

Noooo... despite starting out okay, this chat thread has devolved into an ugly black ooze of complaining and bitterness. It needs to die.

• Locked thread