Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

bolind posted:

They're going to discontinue the Falcon? Aw, man... :sigh:

Honestly with Ford axing most market specific models years ago I'm surprised it lasted this long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

the spyder posted:

Suggestions for a IP camera? I'm looking for a good picture and decent night vision.

If you have ~$130 to spend I'd suggest Ubiquiti's UniFi line of cameras. I installed several of that exact model for a business I do occasional IT consulting for, the hardware is hard to beat at that price point and the software suite included has some very nice features. Only drawback is like most of Ubiquiti's products shortages are so common that they might as well be vaporware.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

literally a fish posted:

And that is why forcing students to keep their phones in their lockers is stupid. Much harder to steal something that's on your person at all times.

I'm still shocked at how liberal schools have become with electronic devices. When I was in high school getting caught with a phone in your possession (just having it, not using it) was pretty much an automatic three day out of school suspension, even if it was powered off in your locker. Hell, one day the police did a drug dog sweep (if the dog alerted on your car you were called out to the parking lot to open it for them) and several people were suspended for having a phone in their car during the school day.

Wrar posted:

I don't know why anyone steals a phone these days, you just call the carrier and it's effectively useless until you tell them otherwise. IMEI numbers are a thing.

To be fair it sounds like we're talking about 12-13 year old kids here, I doubt they've thought this through much past "awesome, free phone!"

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

Maybe on the chassis and frame. Mazda 6 body panels are notorious for rusting.

Fixed. At least if we're talking about cars built in the 2000s.

Geirskogul posted:

Yeah, the body panels are manufactured (IIRC) in the separate plants, but the C platform is shared and has a common source. That said, even the floor pans are different between some manufacturers, and come from different plants.

:eng101: the C platform underpinned compacts like the Mazda 3, Volvo S40 and MKII/III Focus. The 6 and Fusion shared the Mazda GG (aka Ford CD3) platform.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Liquid Communism posted:

No, because you'd get to your first fuel stop and get turbofucked, because they can just park a helicopter over your rear end.

They're not going to chase you by car, they'll do it by radio instead.

If the biker tries it in a major metro area this might happen, but most law enforcement agencies outside of major cities don't have helicopters, when they do they don't have the budget to keep them flying constantly or even have a flight crew on standby to scramble on moment's notice - even then they probably couldn't get on station fast enough for it to make a difference.

Last fourth of July I witnessed a sports bike flee from an OSHP cruiser, and the patrolman made it through the intersection before turning his lights off and pulling into a gas station.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BraveUlysses posted:

You are legally required to have 8 hours between end of shift and start of another. Tell them to pound sand or let you out at 1am.

This isn't a federal regulation and as far as I can tell with a cursory Google search there aren't any states that implement it either. Unless you work in a heavily regulated industry (truck drivers, pilots, etc.) your employer can tell you to work 24 hours a day in perpetuity and not run afoul of labor laws.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BraveUlysses posted:

poo poo, you're right. Another labor law myth :(

FWIW even if that was a federal regulation it (like most other labor laws) wouldn't be terribly effective, since your employer could just fire you for some other "unrelated" reason for not voluntarily going along with < 8 hours off between shifts.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Extra posted:

Avoid anything that says 2.0L Split Port on the valve cover. 2.0 Zetec or 2.3L Duratec is fine. Comfy gas efficient cars with kinda-IRS and ultra ultra cheap parts.

Seconding this suggestion, excellent cars for something designed nearly 2 decades ago.

If you settle on a first generation ('00-'04) look for something manufactured 2002.5 or later, they had most of the kinks sorted out by then.

e: also any C170 based Focus (2000-2011) has full IRS, unless you're counting a swaybar as kinda-IRS.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 22, 2016

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CharlesM posted:

How does the signal strength of those saucer shaped APs compare to a high-end router with external antennas?

The "antennas" on most consumer-grade WiFi equipment are little more than a hollow plastic tube with a straight run of wire inside. They're largely for show.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
e: yes, have her buy the UniFi unit. You can't touch their quality without spending at least twice as much on enterprise-grade equipment.

kastein posted:

a quarter-wave whip antenna for 2.4GHz is right around 3cm long

So what about that precludes it from fitting inside the aforementioned saucer-shaped units with no external antennas, most of which are >6" (or ~15cm) in diameter? I stand by my comment that the external antennas are a gimmick.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 28, 2016

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kastein posted:

Because many devices have a vertically polarized antenna, for one, and also, MIMO works best (aka at all) if the antennas are parallel (or close to it) in a plane, like fenceposts, unless it is specifically designed to work with the antennas at certain angles. Also you want the antenna away from any other circuitry that can interfere with it, couple signals into it, or block/reflect/absorb its signal, which results in a lovely radiation pattern. Stop pretending you know things you don't, it's obvious to anyone who has any clue about RF that you're talking out your rear end.

You should write an angry-worded letter to practically every major networking equipment manufacturer who makes a wireless AP. Almost every high-dollar prosumer/enterprise level access point lacks external antennas, yet somehow they not only work (at all) but do so very well.

But I'm sure you know better than the likes of Cisco does in this regard, right?

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

88h88 posted:

but still, that was pretty brave as that thing looks ghetto as gently caress.

I'm honestly amazed at how many people lived through the pre-1950s/60s just because of how "we give no fucks" industrial equipment manufacturers were regarding safety of the people using their products.

• Locked thread