Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Somebody has a huge hard on for making the monthly chat threads. That is a really sad crown to wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Usually I agree with you but this is just rude.

Rude or not, it's tiring to see someone race to, in effect, post "FIRST POST" month after month.

And he made such an effortpost splash about ignoring me that he'd only see what I said if it gets quoted, anyway. Welp.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Also rude.

People quit being rude.

I didn't respond to tr because I didn't want to be rude. I expressed a strong statement about laf because I think the monthly "race" to first post is silly and laf's ignoring effortpost was rude. meatpimp often responds in kind.

In other news, Spring cleaning is taking a lot more time and effort than I thought. I've been in the garage all morning and finally have space to work again... and I can see the top of my workbench. PROGRESS.

Rhyno posted:

Your face is rude.

Yours isn't. :swoon:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Those chunks aren't supposed to be there.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I need to drive my E39 more. I spent all day charging the battery, only to find that there's a bee making a home in the right rear wheel.

I don't know what those little holes are for, but I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to be filled with pollen and have a bee in them.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That made me look it up. From what I can see, it's for alignment... specifically a Beissbarth KDS machine?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That was a goddamned joke grenade. Well done. :golfclap:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

literally a fish posted:

my grandma passed away this morning :smith:

Sorry about that, dude. That always changes perspectives. :(

literally a fish posted:

Man, you make one silly two-frame gif and a guy decides that you hate him with the burning intensity of a thousand suns :sun: :v:

If you can see this, we can still be cool. :unsmith:

You Am I posted:

I will have to face this in the future as my dad has Alzheimer's Dementia.

My mom went through that with her dad... Nothing I can add to make that better, but I feel for you. That's some hard poo poo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

The combined efforts of RockAuto and FedEx:

When did you order? It sometimes takes a while to get a proper scan... sometimes the first time it shows on the tracking screen, it's well on its way.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I never thought I'd learn something from Archer, along with being entertained...

Thomas Edison really did electrocute an elephant to demonstrate how AC current was unsafe (granted, he fed the elephant 6600V, which is ridiculous overkill). Plus, he shot video of it: :nsfw: obviously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoKi4coyFw0

:dogbutton:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

fyodor posted:

Yes there is no middle ground between forced exuberance and surly anger. Please don't be stupid and or dishonest in your conversations.

I was going to say "welcome to the internet,"

fyodor posted:

And another one vying for the dumbest motherfucker in AI title. meatpimp you're on notice.

then I saw this.

Now I'm confused and don't know how to feel. AI, tell me how to feel.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

A goddamned idiot student posted:

Mr. meatpimp:
I understand from your email response that you will not let me take an incomplete for your class. However, I have submitted paperwork to the college requesting an incomplete in your class.

How do I put :fuckoff: in an email without using a smilie?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

Okay, I'll bite: what's the issue with giving an incomplete?

Student skipped days totaling 6 out of 14 weeks so far. Skipped several major assignments. When he/she figured out that they were completely hosed in the class, pulled out the "I have ADD" card and is tying to unfuck themselves.

Not going to happen. He/she actively made choices over the course of the semester. There are consequences for those choices. In this case? The consequence is a big ol' F. You cannot make up the in-class lectures and material provided in them, by "getting an incomplete." I'll teach the same class next semester, feel free to re-register next semester, slacker.

keykey posted:

I felt your response was fairly straight forward. Then again, I also have no idea what's wrong with just giving somebody an incomplete which is what they want either.. Maybe vanity is getting in Mr. Pimps way of actually giving somebody what they want since it's not an a-f anyway? :shrug:

Yes, I have insufferable vanity when dealing with college students. :rolleyes:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 2, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

In the UK, we cite Arkell vs Pressdram.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Meatpimp, DO THIS

I had to look that up. https://www.lettersofnote.com/2013/08/arkell-v-pressdram.html

Quality response, right there.

Rhyno posted:

The piss machine cat

Give it to SAC. :regd08:

Edit: I know nerds are going to poo poo an eggroll about this, but I just got a Google OnHub router to play with. Easiest loving setup of any router I've ever seen. Basic app to control it, up an running in less than a minute. Signal range seems pretty good and strong... better than I had expected... and I haven't even started to play with the IFTTT integration that they just added (and the reason that I got it). It may even replace my main router (and older Netgear R6300) if it keeps making me happy.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 3, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BraveUlysses posted:

I've had that dream too. Even after I was done with college.

For many, that dream is reality. At least the not going part... idk about the "forgetting."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Anyone here churn, or do all of you have really lovely credit scores?

250k miles here... is that a "yes"?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

drat yo. What airlines?

That Companion Pass though...

United. I still need to do the Sapphire Preferred 40k pickup for my wife, I've just been lazy.

That said, I put almost everything I buy on credit for the points, so it's not all churn points.

My kids barely know what "hand money" is.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sinestro posted:

And on perfect timing, I finally got graded work from my stupid online programming class back, giving us the entire semester at once. Now I mathematically can't get anything better than an D, because I used "// Bonus:" instead of "// BONUS:" in my assignments and a couple didn't compile because I used C++11 features and I guess the professor decided that in TYOOL 2016 g++ -std=c++98 is still the way to go, but then again he's the kind of person who doesn't know how to use grep -i in his grading script and responded with "I'll be offering the class again in the fall" when I asked him about any kind of a correction because I turned in a litany of perfectly correct work that demonstrates a level of knowledge well beyond what's required by the class.

gently caress lovely College.

"I'll be offering the class again in the fall" is one of the harshest "gently caress you" replies you'll get from a professor, fyi. Sounds like there may be more than a minor mistake at play.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sinestro posted:

I don't know what I did. I mean, if he can see that I've not opened any of his lectures maybe he's angry at me for that, but it's not my fault that my school has a credit by examination policy not far from "gently caress off". I shouldn't be in this class at all, it's the basic 'intro to computar do the things' when I've taken most of the higher classes already by challenging the pre-req and gotten all As there and I've been programming since I was like six, but it turns out the class is required now.

This has been my only interaction with him other than emailing him like a month in to ask when he'd have some of the assignments graded because I was curious how I did, so I have no idea what it could be. Some people are just pricks, I guess.

So it was an online class and you didn't even open the lectures? Yes, he can see that. He can probably see when you log on, how much time you spend on and what you open/use while you're on.

If you didn't engage with any of that, you basically told him that you knew everything already and your poo poo would be straight correct.

poo poo wasn't straight correct and... welp.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

And Cruz drops out... that's kinda sudden with the rhetoric he was throwing just a couple days ago...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tusen Takk posted:

This is the second day in a row I've had to scrub doggy diarrhoea out of my hallway carpet at 5:30a because rascal got stressed out from going to the vet and it did a number on his gut

Fucker

You want a big dog? Get used to cleaning up big dog sick. Both ends. Just part of the joy of puppydom.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Negromancer posted:

The internet has broken me. I honestly can not tell if that guy is being serious or not.

(he's not)

and that video is ridiculously on point.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah we were both still learning about the phone, you have to enable find my phone to find your phone. I know that now, if we replace it or get lucky with lost and found, we'll set that up first thing.

In two and a half years this is only the second time she's ever lost a phone. She's really beating herself up over it too. I fuckin warned her and warned her, this is a phone people WANT to steal. It might have actually been stolen out of her locker.

drat, that sucks. Middle school is the worst. She was probably excited and told/showed someone and some other dickbag took that as an opportunity to make her a mark. Middle school is where innocence gets raped. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tusen Takk posted:

did you really sell an e30 to Gabe or just his lookalike

Geirskogul posted:

We've been through this.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

QuarkMartial posted:

Seen just now and I think it's cool:

Supremely cool. :swoon:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Mat_Drinks posted:

Jeez dude. You all right?

I don't know, man, as an American, I am plagued with guilt for something that happened three generations ago. I also feel personal responsibility for slavery. I spend nights awake flogging myself for killing the Indians. Because, you see, the American culture was forced upon the rest of the world by use of force and not from other cultures' emulation.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Slavvy posted:

I think your biggest cultural crime is not knowing how to take a joke :)

And yours is not recognizing sarcasm, I guess. :shrug:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

gently caress deer.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Fuckin' a. That happen tonight? Everybody ok?

Yep, last night, whole family was in the car. We were ~15 miles from home after traveling a couple hours. Damned truck was running perfectly with the dash showing I averaged right at 20mpg, which was the best the truck had ever done.

My wife and I have different accounts based on our perspective. I saw one, thought "poo poo, there's gonna be another (because deer always travel in groups)." As soon as I thought that, and before I could even get on the brakes, the second one was RIGHT in front of us and a third was right behind it. No chance to brake, no chance to swerve (and no point, since there were deer on either side).

My wife says there were way more than three deer, which is totally possible, I was just "target focused" on what was immediately in front of us.

Pham Nuwen posted:

The deer's probably not doing so hot

Geirskogul posted:

Does your insurance cover deer strikes?

Powershift posted:

Fuckin deer probably didn't even have insurance, he had no business being on the road. :argh:

The loving deer doesn't need any insurance, he was a total. Took the full brunt of a ~5,000 pound truck full-on in the side. I didn't see it after impact, but it didn't even take another step. It was running at the time and was thrown forward and into the ditch at the side of the road. It was a ~180lb buck and the impact sheared its rack right off. gently caress that deer.

My insurance will cover it, I don't know yet if deer strikes are considered chargeable collisions by my insurance company or not.

Ferremit posted:

Looks like a perfect excuse for a big bullbar on the insurance companys dime...

"Look, the factory bumper is $1500 unpainted and by the time you paint it up and fit it you'll be looking at $2-3K. This bullbar is only $1800, how bout it?"

Thats how i got my winch bar on the red hilux!

I don't know what the financial game will be. It needs all the RF corner sheet metal and grille/support stuff. Radiator and AC condenser immediately vented and they got shoved into the (expensive electronic viscous) fan... don't know if that did anything to the water pump or motor.

Either way, it's going to be close to 75% of the value on initial estimate... It could go one of several ways, we'll see.

some texas redneck posted:

I bet you're real glad you didn't pay full retail for that grill now, aren'tcha? :colbert:

I didn't, but the insurance company will. :colbert: Ironically, that may be the part that pushes it into "totaled" land.

I'll keep my stupid thread posted with the insurance process. It's already been stupid.

AWWWWW YISS... STR-esque megapost from meatpimp. :D

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

SCA Enthusiast posted:

No antlers in May.

There were nubs in the top of the head where something freshly broke off? It was dark, though, and I didn't see any pieces. Edit: Now that I think about it, it could have just been partially scalped from the way it looks like it hit the hood...

leica posted:

Isn't that what comprehensive is for? It's not like you can predict how an act of god is going to damage your vehicle.

I don't know, I've never hit a deer in 30 years of driving (other than the one that JUMPED over the hood of my Forester while I was doing 35+... and the only trace was a slight hoof drag mark on the hood scoop.

I can see it argued either way, but comprehensive is fine by me. I just wished it somehow hosed up the back... the only dents in the car are in the tailgate and LR fender... the front _was_ perfect...

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 8, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

Mustang owner spotted.

Corn is Luke Skywalker in your avatar after that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

literally a fish posted:

Maybe I'll drown and get a swimming pool named after me

How does a fish drown? This whole page confuses me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

QuarkMartial posted:

Car-related: Parents own a 2006 XC90 with the 2.5T engine.

Best motor for that car.

Take the pipe off and put it back on, it's one of the turbo system pipes and there may be some oily residue in it, but nothing is going to pour out (if it does, something else, much more major is wrong).

Plug change should be no big deal. But if he's struggling with securing a couple of Torx bits, maybe he is better off getting it done professionally.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MustardFacial posted:

So I'm going back to school in September. About a month ago I went to the school's Open House just to get a lay of the land, get some questions answered, that sort of thing. While I was there I entered a contest to win a $5000 tuition voucher on a whim. Got an email today saying that I won.

:what:

:drat:

Congratulations! (or is it one of those for-profit schools that is trying to rope you in with "free" stuff at the beginning to try to keep you there so that they can feed off you for a few years?)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

keykey posted:

Don't fool yourself, every school is for profit, you'd be surprised how often I have to remind people here. Just because we're a community college doesn't mean we're not for profit. Guess what has to happen when attendance dips? Sorry people, we have to trim the fat somewhere and it's usually in the area of part-timers and then it's by newer hires first unless older faculty/classified/managers want to take a golden parachute.

I've worked in it for 15 years. I know the way the system works. There's still a difference between state funded schools and straight for-profit schools.

I looked at teaching at a for-profit school. Lasted all of the orientation meeting where it was entirely focused on taking attendance at multiple times of the class session to document who was present and when, so that the financial aid could be kept properly... there were no shits given for the scripted curriculum. At least at a State school I can teach what I want, when I want, how I want, as long as I stay within some very broad goals/guidelines.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Locator posted:

I'd spend the extra 20, that's cheap for the difference in coverage. Full disclosure, I carry 250/500/150 (not sure on that 150).

Do you have assets that anyone you run over could sue you for? How much do the cars cost on the road around you every day? It's incredibly easy to go over $30k just with property damage to any semi-newish car, let alone if there are medical bills involved. God forbid that you are at fault for nailing a new SUV of pretty much any variety, or something like a Tesla Model S, let alone any sort of luxury car or higher end sports car.

There are just way too many expensive vehicles on the road to gamble all your assets on low coverage if you can afford the higher levels.

Agreed. I am dealing with insurance poo poo and I was just looking at my auto policy -- 300/300/100 with a 1M umbrella.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tusen Takk posted:

Hmm, that's a really good way to look at it, especially considering i put in my CV

"as amazing as yours" is pandering. That'd turn me off if I saw it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tusen Takk posted:

Good point, I'll change that right now

I don't teach technical and business writing for nothin', motherfucker.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So we mistakenly ordered 2,000,000' of 10,000" reels of fiber instead of 200,000'. :stare:

Cool, just run some fiber to me in Ohio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

fyodor posted:

Oh god you didn't have to post it. Let people google the horror for themselves.

Why did I watch that? Especially knowing what was going to happen... I don't know which is worse -- his doing it, or my watching it.

• Locked thread