Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Does your insurance cover deer strikes?

Also, I'm slightly drunk and watching the grand finale of Mythbusters. I swear I'm not gonna cry. I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

The deer's probably not doing so hot

Fuckin deer probably didn't even have insurance, he had no business being on the road. :argh:

I've been playing around with dashcommand on ios, and it doesn't seem nearly as good as torque pro. I haven't tried it with the powerstroke, but in the 540 it can't pick up anything from the transmission.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Looks like a perfect excuse for a big bullbar on the insurance companys dime...

"Look, the factory bumper is $1500 unpainted and by the time you paint it up and fit it you'll be looking at $2-3K. This bullbar is only $1800, how bout it?"

Thats how i got my winch bar on the red hilux!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MustardFacial posted:

I will happily take British culture over the current redneck, good ol boy, confederate flag, lifted truck, fuckface culture we currently have.

How the gently caress do you think I feel as an openly gay dude in motherfucking Texas? :colbert:

Austin gets a pass. The rest of the state, not so much.

meatpimp posted:

gently caress deer.

I bet you're real glad you didn't pay full retail for that grill now, aren'tcha? :colbert:

(glad you're okay)

Pham Nuwen posted:

Edit: If I buy this car, can I buy stupid pants and blather on about euphoria, or is that reserved for 300ZX owners?

Not enough rust for stupid pants and euphoria.

Also that particular one is fuel injected, right? The ECU could have taken a poo poo - I'm almost positive that the ECU only handles fuel delivery, so feeding fuel into the throttle body will get it to sputter a bit.

If it is the ECU, nothing that Megasquirt can't fix. :getin:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Guys, I lied about becoming emotional during the Mythbusters finale.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's okay. A couple of other people did too.

v:v:v

okay fine one of those people was me

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Some pretty crazy northern lights happening, and the whole city smells like campfire.

I'm a camera noob without a tripod. There are streaks of blue you don't normally see this far south.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

gently caress deer.

"Kill all the loving deer." - Daryl Hall

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

some texas redneck posted:

How the gently caress do you think I feel as an openly gay dude in motherfucking Texas? :colbert:

Austin gets a pass. The rest of the state, not so much.

Come join us in Cascadia. There is a better world for you here.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
For gently caress's sake. 1. Installed new suspension 2. Alternator fails, replaced 3. Power steering fails tonight

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Can I please have ONE MOMENT to enjoy my car

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Can I please have ONE MOMENT to enjoy my car

You mean 30 year old german cars aren't reliable :aaaaa:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Powershift posted:

You mean 30 year old german cars aren't reliable :aaaaa:

It's only 25, it's younger than me, therefore it can't be more broken down than I am. :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Buddy I've seen 5 year old cars that were more broken than I am. And I'm pretty loving broken.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

It's okay. A couple of other people did too.

v:v:v

okay fine one of those people was me

I know, it's super sad seeing all that stuff get broken for no reason.

That '67 Impala deserved better! :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Agreed.

Holy gently caress. I just looked at my maintenance records... then glanced at the mileage.

4000 miles in 3 1/2 weeks. Nearly 10,000 since the 2nd week of February, and over 30k in the past year. :stonkhat:

Front tires (Falken Sinceras) are drat near worn out, despite two rotations. They have ~15k, with a 50k warranty. Guess it's time to go get the alignment checked out. What's weird is the lovely Ohtsus with no warranty (currently on the back) have made it to nearly 35k, and have more tread remaining.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Fuckin' a. That happen tonight? Everybody ok?

Yep, last night, whole family was in the car. We were ~15 miles from home after traveling a couple hours. Damned truck was running perfectly with the dash showing I averaged right at 20mpg, which was the best the truck had ever done.

My wife and I have different accounts based on our perspective. I saw one, thought "poo poo, there's gonna be another (because deer always travel in groups)." As soon as I thought that, and before I could even get on the brakes, the second one was RIGHT in front of us and a third was right behind it. No chance to brake, no chance to swerve (and no point, since there were deer on either side).

My wife says there were way more than three deer, which is totally possible, I was just "target focused" on what was immediately in front of us.

Pham Nuwen posted:

The deer's probably not doing so hot

Geirskogul posted:

Does your insurance cover deer strikes?

Powershift posted:

Fuckin deer probably didn't even have insurance, he had no business being on the road. :argh:

The loving deer doesn't need any insurance, he was a total. Took the full brunt of a ~5,000 pound truck full-on in the side. I didn't see it after impact, but it didn't even take another step. It was running at the time and was thrown forward and into the ditch at the side of the road. It was a ~180lb buck and the impact sheared its rack right off. gently caress that deer.

My insurance will cover it, I don't know yet if deer strikes are considered chargeable collisions by my insurance company or not.

Ferremit posted:

Looks like a perfect excuse for a big bullbar on the insurance companys dime...

"Look, the factory bumper is $1500 unpainted and by the time you paint it up and fit it you'll be looking at $2-3K. This bullbar is only $1800, how bout it?"

Thats how i got my winch bar on the red hilux!

I don't know what the financial game will be. It needs all the RF corner sheet metal and grille/support stuff. Radiator and AC condenser immediately vented and they got shoved into the (expensive electronic viscous) fan... don't know if that did anything to the water pump or motor.

Either way, it's going to be close to 75% of the value on initial estimate... It could go one of several ways, we'll see.

I bet you're real glad you didn't pay full retail for that grill now, aren'tcha? :colbert:

I didn't, but the insurance company will. :colbert: Ironically, that may be the part that pushes it into "totaled" land.

I'll keep my stupid thread posted with the insurance process. It's already been stupid.

AWWWWW YISS... STR-esque megapost from meatpimp. :D

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

drat, that really blows dude. Glad the truck kept your family safe though.

Were you able to toss the antlers off into the bushes so you can retrieve them and mount them in the garage/do ancient black magic against all deer?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

My insurance will cover it, I don't know yet if deer strikes are considered chargeable collisions by my insurance company or not.

Isn't that what comprehensive is for? It's not like you can predict how an act of god is going to damage your vehicle.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

leica posted:

Isn't that what comprehensive is for? It's not like you can predict how an act of god is going to damage your vehicle.
Shouldn't it fall under collision, since he was moving?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don't know, I thought that any type of "act of god" situation fell under comprehensive.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

drat, that really blows dude. Glad the truck kept your family safe though.

Were you able to toss the antlers off into the bushes so you can retrieve them and mount them in the garage/do ancient black magic against all deer?

No antlers in May.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

SCA Enthusiast posted:

No antlers in May.

There were nubs in the top of the head where something freshly broke off? It was dark, though, and I didn't see any pieces. Edit: Now that I think about it, it could have just been partially scalped from the way it looks like it hit the hood...

leica posted:

I don't know, I've never hit a deer in 30 years of driving (other than the one that JUMPED over the hood of my Forester while I was doing 35+... and the only trace was a slight hoof drag mark on the hood scoop.

I can see it argued either way, but comprehensive is fine by me. I just wished it somehow hosed up the back... the only dents in the car are in the tailgate and LR fender... the front _was_ perfect...

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 8, 2016

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I thought if you hit garbage that was moving (i.e. fell off the back of a truck) it goes under comprehensive, whereas if you ran into debris that is stationary it's collision. Not sure how deer fit on that spectrum, or even if it's universal across insurance policies.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yay insurance companies! Well, you see, since the water was WIND-swept your flood insu-:yarg:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

meatpimp posted:

No chance to brake, no chance to swerve (and no point, since there were deer on either side).

Now, I think your deer are a bit bigger than ours (we've mainly got roe deer), but over here we say "never swerve for deer", as swerving off the road or into oncoming traffic is a lot more dangerous than just taking them head on. That being said; gently caress deer. Kill Bambi.

Hail Satan.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

My parents' 16 year old LeSabre just puked all of its power steering fluid from the rack, and broke the serpentine belt. PS Pump is locked up. Looks like I'm car shopping for them again, though at 265,000 miles, I should have been prepared for the inevitable.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
As far as I know, animal strikes fall under comprehensive claims.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

meatpimp posted:

There were nubs in the top of the head where something freshly broke off? It was dark, though, and I didn't see any pieces. Edit: Now that I think about it, it could have just been partially scalped from the way it looks like it hit the hood...

They typically lose them in December or January after the rut, and then they start growing back in early summer, usually June or July*. There would absolutely be bare nubs where they fell off. Deer antlers are regenerated every year, getting bigger as the bucks get older to help them fight over does.

*These times are normal for where I am, and may vary depending on location.

e: I'm also refering to white-tailed deer. If you're out west and it was a mule deer it could vary as well, but with the exception of caribou, I think, all deer lose and regenerate their antlers yearly.

ee: Wrong about caribou. They also regenerate yearly but they are the only species where females also typically grow antlers.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 8, 2016

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Now, I think your deer are a bit bigger than ours (we've mainly got roe deer), but over here we say "never swerve for deer", as swerving off the road or into oncoming traffic is a lot more dangerous than just taking them head on. That being said; gently caress deer. Kill Bambi.

Hail Satan.

Louis CK was absolutely right about deer. I'm from Buenos Aires Upstate NY and I say kill 'em all (and eat them, venison is delicious).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Remember kids, recycle your plastics, and you can help our environment last ein tausend jährige.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, that new recycle symbol is...haunting. I forget if it's for the Chinese or Indian market.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Got to go the the WEC 6 hours of Spa at the weekend, took some snaps:

Album here

I've been to the Ring before but not Spa, it's an incredible track and if you get the opportunity you should totally go.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I thought this would be the best place to ask, but I'm wondering if I should make a thread about my new (old) Supra. I just got it back from the shop after it passed safety but it has a few issues that I need to sort out and I don't want to keep asking the quick question thread. Plus I'm probably going to be tinkering with it and trying to fix anything myself.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
New threads are always welcome. The activity is nice, even if it's like mine and sporadic.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Well, its up. I don't really make threads much so if I missed anything let me know in that thread.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I loving bored.

I feel like I've just hit a wall with anything and everything that brought me enjoyment. I haven't turned my ps4 on in like 4 weeks, completely disinterested in flying (thou last few months bills from the club I'm in probably has something to do with that - which is why I am serious entertaining buying a plane), no car projects look interesting...

There's some home improvement projects I need (and want) to do but I just can't make myself start them.

It's weird. For the first time in a long time I have both the means and time to do just about whatever I want and not really interested in doing anything. Just a rut?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Tide posted:

I loving bored.

I feel like I've just hit a wall with anything and everything that brought me enjoyment. I haven't turned my ps4 on in like 4 weeks, completely disinterested in flying (thou last few months bills from the club I'm in probably has something to do with that - which is why I am serious entertaining buying a plane), no car projects look interesting...

There's some home improvement projects I need (and want) to do but I just can't make myself start them.

It's weird. For the first time in a long time I have both the means and time to do just about whatever I want and not really interested in doing anything. Just a rut?

My last year.txt

Not that it's a TON better now, but honestly I just started writing poo poo down. If I want to do it, or need to do it, I wrote it down. Somehow it makes me feel more guilty if I don't. Then once I finally do it, or start it, everything feels right and normal and good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm getting anxious to leave for deployment. Let's get this show over with so I can get back to real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
gently caress.

I just found out that glyphostate only kills blackberries when applied in the fall. That was a waste of an afternoon.

I should just get a goat. That killed all of the blackberries in our yard when I was a kid.

• Locked thread