Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
AHAHAHA good OP and nice sniping :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Promise to and also put some effort into an OP and we'll let you have it

meatpimp posted:

Somebody has a huge hard on for making the monthly chat threads. That is a really sad crown to wear.

No, just got tired of the very low effort thread sniping. Put some effort into it when making an OP. Plus.....

quote:

For those that are late;

This is a chat thread for anyone who reads AI. We talk about computers, life, how much alcohol we drink, how long it will take Ricco to relapse and fail a pee test at his new job, where it's finally getting warm in the USA, STR amuses us with delivery driver stories, Mad Max, I occasionally slam truth bombs while CAT INTERCEPTOR infects our minds and sends us all to the cycle asylum, meatpimp insults everyone, we post cat pics, whatever! Just imagine this as one large garage and we are all pretending to work on some broken rear end Falcon Coupe while talking poo poo about anything that comes up. Anyone who is just wandering by, stop and say hello! We don't bite and we're a pretty chilled out bunch of normal people. Except apparently when [list of topics you already know to avoid] comes up. anyway.

:D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

I'll be coming across some money soon, and flipping the mental coin whether to get a new FGX Falcon or go for a second hand Ecoboost G6/G6E.

Kinda be a good bookend to go with my XP Falcon ute

I'm kinda tempted to trade in my VE for one of the last Commodores next year. Maybe even step up to some sort of HSV - I really doubt they will lose much value. Either that or keep the present car in good ocndition - I cant see it really losing too much value now, any Holden or Ford V8 or Turbo I6 I suspect will become collectors vehicles.

Hell, I saw a LH Torana G-Pak of all things now asking for 20 grand. And GETTING it. That just blew my mind so maybe sitting on a V8 for 20-30 years might be worth it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

I want to drive the Falcon as a daily, and the Turbo 6 would get a bit too expensive to run. Whereas the Turbo 4 is as good as the standard 6, but weighs less.

Holy poo poo, a G-Pak? Then again the GS pack Falcons are getting a fair amount of coin these days, considering they were the GT for tight arses.

Dad bought one new in 1975(?) and we had it for I think 17 years. The real crazy thing is that a G-Pak was just basically a red motor 202, M20 four speed and some gee whiz poo poo like...a radio and black "sporty" upholsty (which of course in summer was loving hot as hell), unique hubcaps, radial tyres and racy stripes. Supposedly had 100Kw out of 3.3 litres and after a LC model rally spec cam and twin Strombergs plus a bigger exhaust, might have had 110Kw or a bit more.

http://www.gmh-torana.com.au/forums/topic/1006-torana-lh-g-pak/

For the moon residents that have NFI what a Torana or a G-Pak actually is.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

literally a fish posted:

my grandma passed away this morning :smith:

It's okay, though. She'd been in a nursing home for two years slowly withering away thanks to dementia / alzheimers / one stroke after another... I said my goodbyes last year.

It's better this way. No machines, no pain. We reckon the flu vaccine was the final domino.

Condolances but also thankfully the suffering is now over. I know exactly how hosed up Dementia truly is

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

literally a fish posted:

I made chicken soup because for the next two weeks I can only eat liquids that can go up a straw.

Might I enquire as to why?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

In the UK, we cite Arkell vs Pressdram.

Meatpimp, DO THIS

Cat chat - I dont care who you are, if you declaw a cat you are a flaming cuntrocket that needs to die in a dumpster fire. God Almighty, that sends cats insane

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Q. What do you call a dead politican?

A. A GOOD loving START

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

I forget, are you an Aussie? Because they have some near-trump level politicians.

All politicians are scumbags, lets face it. Most just hide it better than Trump and have even shittier views in private, let alone the amazing hypocracy they have, like you know family values while loving boys in public restrooms. Or going on about truth when lying their rear end off

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Politicians are scum simply because the systems we have in place for electing them select in favour of scum. Blame the game not the players.

Guess who set the game up?

Hmmm... yeah, politicans.

Rhyno posted:

Well, the Republicans anyways.

Kiddie loving isnt just a conservative value in a politician. But it does seem the more conservative, the more likely they get caught with their dick balls deep in a 10 year old.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Actually decades of public indifference and willful ignorance on the part of ordinary people did.

And who has been making sure that is the case for the last 300 years or longer so they can get away with murder?

Rhyno posted:

True, but the 'publicans seem to be the most frequent offenders. Other than Catholic Priests.

Oh now that's true. Basically these days if I hear some politician making GBS threads on about family values, DEM GAYS!! or Think of the Children, I just presume they are either loving someone on the side (Which in politics is actually very common), they are gay or they shouldnt be allowed near children.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tide posted:

Damnit....

I did turn 43 today.

Awesome bday present. THANKS OBAMA

Yesterday I was cycling and stopped at the lights that just so happened to have a pub. Some fat barely able to waddle boozo yells out "Where's your car?" and all his fat boozed up mates laugh. Not feeling entirely sociable, I asked "So how old are you?"

"53, why?"

"I'm 47 and I don't need a car. Or a wheelchair. Later!"

Umm....what was the point I was making again?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

What if you adopt a cat that's already declawed? :ohdear:

I would never declaw a cat, but mine was sans front claws when I got him.

You didnt do it so..... that's fine, you didnt mutilate it. Love your kitty

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

You won.

Oh. Ummm... yeah, that too.

Honestly tho, maybe I'll do myself in with an early heart attack anyway but I am noticing a widening gap between other men around my age and myself as to physical condition. I'm nothing special to say the least but still......

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Have you noticed the more sexually repressed your culture / religion is the more violent you are?

Well not me personally but yes theres a correlation to that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

And here it is, 3rd May or the 3rd anniversary I got 100% serious about cycling as marked in Strava and just never stopped

Started on a Specialized Roubaix that died in a car altercation after 10,393 kms

Got a S-Works Venge

Also a Epic Marathon for mountain biking

After the Roubaix, came the S-Works Tarmac I called the Assassin for it's ridculous silence and road vibration killing. 9386 kms and sadly it cracked.

That brings me up to the S-Works Tarmac Assassin Mk II that got some upgrades at the same time as the new frame - now up to 10,950 kms in just 10 months!

So at the end of three years I'm now up to 40,573 kms since I rode off from Jet Cycles on the then new Roubaix. I said I was never going to stop and I havent.

And I wouldnt swap any of those kms for just about anything in the world.

(Lets see... the Tarmac
S-Works Tarmac 2016
S-Works Power saddle with rear carbon bottle mount
Other carbon cages
Xentis 4.2 Silver Squad wheels / hubs
3T Aeroroad Stealth carbon bars
S-Works stem
Ultegra 9000 shifters
Dura-Ace 9000 brakes
Dura Ace 11 spd mech front / rear
S-Works 52/36 spider
Quarq power meter
S-Works carbon cranks
SPD MTB pedals to troll

One day I'll upgrade to DuraAce shifters. Meh, it's not like the Ultegra ones are poo poo)

quote:

I always love the assumption that the guy on the bike that cost more than whatever the redneck in question is driving can't afford and doesn't own a car. gently caress you, I own 2 cars I barely drive (that are still better than your 2001 Focus).

Yeah, the road bike I just added it up and drat near had a heart attack how much it would be to replace - The wheels alone are 3000 and this is a bike I commute with. Granted my commute is rather long and a good bike makes that a lot nicer....... The TT bike wasnt cheap to say the least either.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 3, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Jesus seems like a pretty cool dude, it's the fan club that bothers me.

The fan club bothers a whole lot of people who groked what Jesus actually said and try to not be assholes. The modern church would be told to eat a dick by a returned Jesus... and the modern church would crucify the gently caress out of a returned Jesus all over again.

THe message really is as simple as "Dont be an rear end in a top hat" and yet it gets hosed up.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

LOL @ Donald Trump gutting and leaving to rot yet another career politician. The amount of political corpses in his wake is just mindblowing and it just better!

DISCLAIMER - NOT A POLITICAL OPINION ON HOW WORTHY CANDIDATES ARE FROM HEREON

As much as the pundit class are all thinking Trump doesn't have a chance, the sheer carnage he has unleashed on the political class frankly says to me Clinton or Sanders are in for a much much tougher fight than they imagined 6 months ago. This is truly facinating to watch - there's going to be all sorts of textbooks and many MANY words written about this election season, it's truly remarkable.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

leica posted:

Haha Trump is going to be president. Whats the over/under on him getting assassinated?

If Obama hasnt been shot, I doubt Trump will be.

I didnt say it was a good thing, it's just more of a remarkable thing. A truly remarkable yoooog and luxurious thing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

And Cruz drops out... that's kinda sudden with the rhetoric he was throwing just a couple days ago...

Kinda hard to stay in when he said Indiana was a must win and he got not just beaten but torn to shreds - He got the political equivalent of having his lower intestine ripped out and Trump wearing it as a scarf... that joins the scarfs and ties Trump has made out of everyone that's gone against him this election cycle.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah one thing I will say is as scary as four year of trump sounds, four years of Cruz seemed horrific.

That is an opinion that should be agreed to. No matter how bad Trump may or may not be, a guy who WANTS Armageddon and has the finger on nukes is loving poo poo scary idea. Plus his rephensible views make the Taliban blush

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Minor note here: Trump has only gone against the feeble and the infirm thus far, and I feel it it will be he who is wearing his guts for garters once Hillary "Can we do more Benghazi Hearings? Please?" Clinton gets a chance to debate him directly and the RNC isn't there to protect him from mean Fox News anchors asking questions that are more difficult than "You have a huge penis. Tell us about it" which is the only thing he's faced to this point.

The lineup only looks infirm and feeble after Trump shredded them. When he announced, Trump was a joke candidate against the huge warchest of Walker, the name and establishment recognition of Bush, let alone the other more favoured candidates. I will say that when he announced, I thought he was the actual best candidate (NOT SAYING HE WOULD BE AN ACCEPTABLE ONE, just the rest of them ranged from scary to downright run the gently caress away in fear) but no one had any clue he would just destroy anything in his path and I certainly didn't think he would actually win the nomination.

Clinton might turn out to be more roadkill. I doubt it but Trump has beaten the Republican Party and I think anyone dismissing Trump now is wearing blinders. There is a lot of anger in the electorate and Trump is a uniquely teflon candidate with a real artform of cutting down opponents with great one liners. Plus Clinton isnt exactly liked herself to say the least

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Do you think the Clinton campaign is going to treat his various bankruptcies, court cases, and whatever nefarious criminal bullshit he's gotten up to the last 30 years with as much delicate respect as these hard-hitting supercandidates he's just disemboweled did? I think they may not.

And you think Trump isnt going to double down on every even imagined scandal on Clinton? And you bet your bottom dollar he will find a one liner that will make her fodder for mocking. The sole thing the chattering class have had in common is severely underestimate Trump's ability to tear an opponent to pieces and to be complete teflon.

Any other candidate I would agree, he should be destroyed easily. Not this time. The electorate is coming after the political class with baseball bats as well, standard messaging wont work.

CommieGIR posted:

Trump is a loose cannon too, and feels that we should have the right to use force wherever we want. He's not much better in that regard.

I'm not entirely sure on that one. My gut feel with no evidence to back it up is he appears less hawkish than Clinton. The thing is that he is distinctly left of Clinton on some issues so who knows. I guess now we start having a good look.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I bet the Australians are just :allears: at this.

Australia just looks at humans with their modern tech and says "Challenge Accepted"

quote:

The weather so far this year is really strange (lots of spikes). It's going to be back into the mid 80's for the high by Friday supposedly.

The only good thing about the weather definatly being completely screwy (It's late autumn. It's loving 28C. I'm cycling in the dark in short sleeves) is that it's finally smashing home the point climate change is a real loving thing and whelp this El Nino got supercharged by all the poo poo we are pouring into the air and water. And now you are having an Australian style firestorm in Canada. CANADA. In spring where it still is supposed to be thawing out.

Apart from the length of daylight, you wouldn't even know we were approaching winter. I'm confused where I see trees without leaves and I'm still in T-shirts because that's just not right. I've also noticed the local possums are way fatter than usual as it hasn't gotten cold enough to kill off the insects and they are having as late season feast.

(TBH, I am very much enjoying the extended warmth. But it is weird as gently caress I can still swim outside)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Midnight Oil is reforming. This is good news.

Hopefully they make some good new music

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

the spyder posted:

For the love of god someone take away my checkbook.

If you are not single, I'm trying to comphrend how. My S.O. is much more accepting for stray vehicles than just about any other woman but even then I need to resort to bribery to keep the peace

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Im watching bout a thousand fit women race at a triathlon. Oh and also on three weeks holiday. (On volunteer race crew )

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fyodor posted:

Dear Penthouse Forum,

End month wont get better

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

corn in the fridge posted:

That mustang meme is insanely dumb and you're pretty much a retard if you think its funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EezFNU4qmAQ

Edit : Hooooly poo poo there are lot of these things!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBmZLPRivc4

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Fine a whale shark then...

Oh come on, this is Strayla. He's Literally a Fat oval office of a Fish

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

literally a fish posted:

Maybe I'll drown and get a swimming pool named after me

Yeah right, you are going to be taken by the Chinese in a sub off Portsea.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

literally a fish posted:

Yes. It would cost more to do than the entire vehicle would be worth. It takes a lot more than resistors to permanently fool a modern-ish ECU - a lot of them will throw codes if they never see any variance in a sensor because that's an indicator of failure, amongst other multitudes of issues.

It could be done.

It should never be done.

It would be orders of magnitude cheaper to build a standalone system to run whatever components you want the stock box to run, or reprogram the stock box to not give a poo poo that it's not running the motor anymore.

And even then, get your carburetors away from my MPFI.

Okay wait, someone was seriously asking about putting a carby in a modern car??

LOL WTF

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Dude, everybody hates that loving song.

I *LOVE* that song :D

Bite me if you have a problem with my awful musical taste :p

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

Ah drat, Australian motoring journalist Bill Tuckey has passed away. Not a huge news thing, but I did enjoy his articles and books

http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/05/07/veteran-motoring-writer-bill-tuckey-dies/

The Great Race books were superb but frankly Romsey Quints was by far the best thing he ever did and more than made up for the rest of the volumes of poo poo he otherwise wrote.

quote:

Somehow you've managed to snap a shot of him that's even more insufferable than ever. Good job!

He does not suffer idiots and the flames he spews quite rightly at them are a joy to behold.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 12, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

Linus is a noted douchebag and insufferable shithead but I'm not sure what that post meant either

Stop posting utter crap. Linus is in fact quite a good guy to know and is drat good at his job. Oh booo loving hoo, he calls out idiot and guts them. Well that just happens to be GOOD. If someone does something that breaks Linux, there's a whoooole fuckload of systems that can go extremely wrong and frankly he gives people a lot of chances before he hauls them across the coals. Plus Linus isnt on a religious OSS crusade, he just wants to get the job done... which is a drat sight more than could be said about the fools who are critical of him like in the SFC - Karen Sandler, who basically made GNOME foundation bankrupt with her misguided gender politics. You should look that up, that is a true clustefuck of stupid. So stupid that when she tried to get on the Linux Foundation, the big players went No loving Way and made sure she would never get a seat. Oh then Matthew Garrett, someone who was correctly torched by Linus for being a clueless idiot over dipshit ideas about UEFI jumps up and down claiming to be a victim.

And Garrett continues to be a lying fuckwit about the situation and anything to do with Linus ever since.

If you get gutted by Linus, then you absolutly, completely and utterly deserved it. As I said, he is in fact quite a good guy who simply does not suffer stupidity.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

I think we've had Linus chat before so I'll gb2y with my Linpinions

Dont repeat the known lies of loving idiots is all I'm saying.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

I am obsessed with this 35 year old car infamous for its build quality, with no A/C, and with obvious rust on a monocoque body. However, it's less than 4' feet tall, is about as long as my current car's wheelbase, and is ME/RWD. I don't know why I'm counting these as a positives considering I'm 6'3, but I love these tiny, hideous, wedge cars (like the 914/6) for reasons that are beyond me

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5542215376.html

Stock form, the truth is they are loving awful even for their day. The positives are a rorty exhaust noise and quite direct steering.

What they are glorious for is they respond impossibly well to mods. I had a go in one that had a Lancia Beta 2 litre shoved in the back with a Lancia 5 speed, some suspesion mods and bigger brakes - now i think about it, in all honestly time has redefined "fast" where I have a road car that would smash it stupid but for the late 80's it was a firecracker.

Anyway, it's a good base to build up something.

Derail : Kinda funny to look back and think a high 14's / low 15's car was called stupid fast (which is was when the average V8 was doing 16's) when only a handful of years later the WRX appeared and you had that kind of speed stock.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

i believe that last time we had this discussion we all agreed that he could be less of a tyrant and we also discussed how if he acted that way at any other company, he would be canned or at least he would speak to HR a lot

so no, i'm not spewing complete stupidity. just because he runs the show doesn't mean he should act like that

and no, i have not had any commits shot down by Linus so i'm not salty either

You were indeed spewing complete stupidity. You are smarter than that and FFS, he's not being a bloody tyrant. How do you not get the concept of - try to commit something that breaks userspace = polite warning, try again = joking warning, third time = "This is why this commit is loving stupid". That's what he does and if you are a normal, well adjusted human being it's a perfectly fine way to behave when you are running the largest and most important coding project on the planet.

Why the gently caress are you even saying poo poo like this if you haven't met the guy or participated in the Kernel mailing list?

I'm gonna gently caress off and ride bikes.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

82km .... just turned around and 1150m vertical so far. Enjoyung a pie and a coke at Cowan before the run back to Sydney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

jamal posted:

Less distance, similar elevation. The burrito and beer were wonderful afterward. Here's a picture

I uhhhh...... went a tiny bit further and climbed a weeeeeee bit more

https://www.strava.com/activities/574478037

I dont know what I was thinking when I threw in the third and fourth gorge climb when I was "only" at 1400m vert and 105kms.

(155km, 2,477m vert. Holy gently caress are my legs gonna feel that one tomorrow)

• Locked thread