Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kat Delacour posted:

We laugh, but it worked for Howard when he redefined what the border of Australian territory was for boat arrivals.

On 30 October 2012, the Labor party resolved to excise the entire Australian mainland from the migration zone, in order to remove any incentive for asylum seekers traveling from Indonesia to try to reach the mainland instead of the previously excised territories which are closer to Indonesia.[4] The legislation to excise the mainland itself from the migration zone was passed by Parliament on 16 May 2013.[5][6] Before the excise, asylum seekers who reached the mainland by boat could not be sent offshore to Australian immigration detention facilities on Nauru or Papua New Guinea's Manus Island for immigration processing.[7]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I stand corrected, though I could've sworn Howard did it too, something to do with Christmas island.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah he did, just never went so far as to excise the friggin' continent from the migration zone.

Speaking of, remember how Rudd said people shouldn't stand for his removal because it'd lead to a lurch right on asylum seekers, then the moment he ousted Gillard he decided persecuting brown people was actually really cool?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

quote:

I hate lnp but I hate islamists even more.Question is who's tougher on border security when ISIS has inbedded thousands of soliders and their families amoungst the syrian refugees.What's wrong with resettling christian refugees?You know the actual victims of islam.Im voting for Pauline Hanson,Jaquie lambie and ALA.

I'm voting on who I hate the most and damnit if it isnt brown people > lnp

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Kat Delacour posted:

I stand corrected, though I could've sworn Howard did it too, something to do with Christmas island.

The Howard government also changed how unemployment was counted, and then claimed credit for the falling unemployment rate.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Mad Katter posted:

The Howard government also changed how unemployment was counted, and then claimed credit for the falling unemployment rate.

Ahh... I'm happy to be corrected but I'm pretty sure we've used ILO definitions for unemployment for decades.

e: More than anyone not named Greg Jericho would reasonably care about here: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/6102.0.55.001Chapter62013

Resident Idiot fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 30, 2016

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

trunkh posted:

Completely unfounded but I feel it's partly from them getting page space in the press here while being seen as preferable to the two majors. There definitely a sense of being thrown under a bus by the major parties and he has seemingly captured a Dems 2.0 feel of keeping bastards honest so to speak because of it.

Eventually he will pull a meg lees or who ever hosed the Dems previously with penalty rates and the cycle will begin a new.

That depends on the kind of person Xenophon is at heart. I was only a kid when it happened, but as I understand it Lees hosed us over to curry favour with Howard and because she was a bigot who was sick of gays "taking over" the party. What REALLY hosed us over a few years ago, though, was John Davey and company stealing $22,000 out of the National Executive's bank account in order to save himself from bankruptcy, and tricking his minions (not the yellow pill-shaped kind) into attempting a very crude and ultimately unsuccessful coup of the party leadership. The bureaucratic mess of the aftermath combined with changing requirements was what got us deregistered. We actually have the numbers to be a party again, but there's a lot of red tape we need to cut through.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
It looks like Xenophon will eat any cake the dems would need for a comeback. The dems also need a state to be the nest of initial mainstream support.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
I'm not sure how people could be describing for Nick Xenophon as "right wing", most of his policy principles are vague but seem to support harm minimisation for drugs, state ownership of essential utilities, federal ICAC, strong personal privacy laws, no university fee deregulation etc etc. The kind of things that would get News Ltd shrills screeching about him being a lefty: https://nxt.org.au/whats-nxt/policy-principles/

Kat Delacour posted:

Maybe you're talking about the retrospective excision of Ashmore reef, requiring an emergency sitting of Parliament, so they could keep claiming that no boats had arrived.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 30, 2016

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Could be, I wasn't following auspol this closely until the last couple years. The tl;dr version being changing the goalposts is par for the course when Liberals go electioneering

And yes the alp are poo poo too

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Mr Chips posted:

in 20 years of being renter and landlord, I'm yet to come across a rental property manager who wasn't malcious, incompetent scum.

from last page, but kill all real estate agents

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
My rental agent has not bothered to inspect my unit or raise the rent since I moved in 3 years ago. I love the apathetic bastards and never want to move.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad

Mr Chips posted:

I'm not sure how people could be describing for Nick Xenophon as "right wing", most of his policy principles are vague but seem to support harm minimisation for drugs, state ownership of essential utilities, federal ICAC, strong personal privacy laws, no university fee deregulation etc etc. The kind of things that would get News Ltd shrills screeching about him being a lefty.

Off the top of my head, recent support for the ABCC and weakening penalty rates, although he has softened on the penalty rates (and Labor is not much better). Ever since he showed up in SA, he always seemed pretty centrist, but since I've been out of the country, it seems the whole country has moved to the right, and he went along for the ride.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sticko posted:

Off the top of my head, recent support for the ABCC and weakening penalty rates, although he has softened on the penalty rates (and Labor is not much better). Ever since he showed up in SA, he always seemed pretty centrist, but since I've been out of the country, it seems the whole country has moved to the right, and he went along for the ride.

Yeah, I'd describe Xenophon as 'centrist' if we're going by the left-right scale. You want to describe it more accurately, I'd go with 'community protectionist'. It really seems like his primary drive politically is to fight back against what's hurting the average person, with I'd say a particular focus on the problems that face Adelaide's suburbs.

You want to know why he's getting so much traction? I think a big part of it is because he's specifically standing up for the city that's most constantly shat on federally. Neither of the major parties offer anything to Adelaide, or really anyone in South Australia, because it's a dying city with no easy answers and huge swathes of safe seats that aren't worth the effort. The rare times they get anything it's either fragile and probably going to disappear after the election shuffles sitting members around (I've mentioned it several times, but the Adelaide-Gawler train line still isn't electrified because it goes through nothing but safe Labor seats, so it's only ever a priority when Labor are scared of losing, and then when they do the Liberals snuff it out), or a national loving emergency that threatens to kill our whole economy (hi manufacturing industry). Xenophon's party, regardless of its views, is local; unlike any other party you could elect down there, his party will happily back up his constituency.

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

I'm so proud of my wife and her terrible handwriting.
Postal Vote Fuckery

Beaucoup Haram fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 30, 2016

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
The NXT thing isn't really a new phenomenon. A large minority of South Australians have voted third party since the 1980's. During the gradual collapse of manufacturing in the 20th century, Adelaide dropped from the third to the fifth largest city in terms of population and around the time Perth overtook Adelaide in the 80's Adelaide basically became Democrats heartland. At least personally I don't really think those two things are unrelated. After the Democrats disappeared from the scene Xenophon's vote started to increase, until the 2013 election, where he had a higher primary vote than the ALP. Basically as long as people (rightly) feel that NSW is overrepresented in Australian politics, a bunch of them will vote third party. I guess since it's mostly urban voters they're not voting for a joke of a person like Katter but I guess it's a similar principle to an region that feels neglected like FNQ.

Though, with the exception of the northern suburbs which are doomed, I don't think Adelaide is in as long term strife as people think.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

StealthBus posted:

I'm so proud of my wife and her terrible handwriting.
Postal Vote Fuckery

Your wifes handwriting has the hooked loops and incomplete counters of a compulsive larsenist. I suggest you hire a private detective immediately.

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Your wifes handwriting has the hooked loops and incomplete counters of a compulsive larsenist. I suggest you hire a private detective immediately.

It's alright, I know where she lives.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

quote:

Q. It is often reported that the party is against penalty rates, particularly for nurses. Why is this?
A. We are NOT anti-penalty rates for nurses, doctors, or any other shift worker, or any employee that works overtime or non-standard hours. There is only one group of employer - small businesses - where we believe the current pay rate on a Sunday is stifling employment. In SA for example, the penalty rate was 150% when 7-day trading commenced. At this time substantially more small businesses chose to open. With penalty rates up to 200% it is cost prohibitive for many small businesses to open and take on extra staff. The NXT position, modified after much consultation, is to support the independent umpire the Fair Work Commission. Click to view our Penalty Rates Policy Principle.

Trustworthy?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Wheezle posted:

Trustworthy?

So the same policy position as Labor then. Could be worse.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm pretty sure Dr. Gannon's first meeting with Susan Ley went a little like this:

It's from way back - but I wanted to say that's a nice piece of writing.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Wheezle posted:

Trustworthy?

Are Sunday penalty rates actually 200%? I'm in a different industry, and in Victoria, but I only get 175%.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Essential: 51/49 to LNP :(

I WANNA BE A TWINK
Mar 27, 2016

norp posted:

Essential: 51/49 to LNP :(

Not on ghost who votes or essential website, got source?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I WANNA BE A TWINK posted:

Not on ghost who votes or essential website, got source?

Crikey posted:

Essential: Coalition back in the lead (but 20% don't know when election is)

31 May 2016

The Coalition has regained a lead for the first time since mid-April, with today’s Essential Report polling showing a fall in Labor’s vote. The two-point drop to 35% in Labor’s primary vote means the Coalition, with a stable primary vote of 41%, takes a 51%-49% two-party preferred lead with five weeks to go; the Greens remain on 9% and the Nick Xenophon Team is up a point to 4%.

Essential polling: Who will you vote for? Coalition leads Labor

On a (unlikely) uniform national swing, 51%-49% would deliver Labor just five seats, leaving Malcolm Turnbull with a sizeable majority. Confirming that the worst is over for the Coalition, the fall in the Prime Minister’s personal ratings is also finished: after a brief dip into net negative territory a fortnight ago, his approval rating is up a point to 41%, while his disapproval rating is down three points to 39%. Bill Shorten, meanwhile, remains almost exactly where he has been for several weeks, with a 10-point (34% approval, 44% disapproval) net disapproval rating. The only good news for Labor is that Shorten has further narrowed the gap as preferred prime minister, with Malcolm Turnbull’s lead now down to 13 points (40%-27%) compared to 15 points a fortnight ago. In December, Turnbull led Shorten by 39 points.

The poll, however, also reveals a disturbing level of ignorance about the basics of the coming election: 23% of voters don’t think the election is in July, with 8% believing it’s in June, 4% in August, around 2% later, and 9% who don’t know at all. And just 50% know that they’ll be voting in a full double dissolution election: 8% think they’re voting in a normal half-Senate and House of Reps election, another 8% think it’s only for the House of Reps and 34% didn’t know. Liberal and Greens voters were the most knowledgeable, while Labor voters appear significantly more clueless about what they would be voting for.

Essential polling: what will you be voting for?

And 36% of voters were unable to identify the current Treasurer, with 13% saying the ambassador to the United States of America, Joe Hockey, was treasurer (including 18% of Greens voters); 64% identified Scott Morrison. In each case with these questions, older voters were far better informed than younger voters: just 62% of voters under 35, for example, knew the election was in July; only 44% of under-35s could identify Scott Morrison as treasurer.

There was, however, support for amending current laws that enable governments to hunt down and prosecute any whistleblower revealing government information, no matter the public benefits from it. In the wake of remarkable mid-election raids on Labor at the behest of an embarrassed NBN, half of all voters believe current laws that enable the pursuit and jailing of whistleblowers should be confined to national security matters, while 30% support existing laws. There was a strong partisan divide to the issue: Coalition voters more strongly support the current laws (45%) than support a national security limitation (41%) while 54% of Labor voters and 78% of Greens voters back limiting anti-whistleblower laws to national security matters.

Essential also asked voters about how they viewed Malcolm Turnbull and Bill Shorten in terms of social interaction. Turnbull was generally much more positively regarded than Shorten: 53% said they’d ask Turnbull’s advice about investing money, compared to just 11% who would ask Shorten; 34% said they’d trust Turnbull to give their children advice about the future compared to 17% Shorten; Turnbull was the preferred dinner guest (38% to 22%) and the preferred negotiator for a pay rise (36% to 27% for former union leader Shorten). However, Shorten was preferred as someone to look after your pet (no comment), preferred as someone to go to the pub for a beer, more likely to lend you money and more likely to help you.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

The results showed a massive amount of ignorance about the basic facts of the election. Clearly this is an accurate poll of the average Australian.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

ere was a strong partisan divide to the issue: Coalition voters more strongly support the current laws (45%) than support a national security limitation (41%) while 54% of Labor voters and 78% of Greens voters back limiting anti-whistleblower laws to national security matters.

small government liberal vs big government greens

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

small government liberal vs big government greens

underdog PM

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The only poll that matters is the one in July. Or June. Or August. Maybe.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Seems to me to just be the margin of error shifting around as some polls get more boomers and some polls get less.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Anidav posted:

Seems to me to just be the margin of error shifting around as some polls get more boomers and some polls get less.

Yeah, it's pretty sloppy not to mention the margin when it's within 2 points of the last poll

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
"Voter apathy at poo poo choices" doesn't make for as interesting reading as the photo finish. Journalism (or at least the lovely kind that Australia apparently thrives on) is all about the click bait.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
all those people not knowing the election date makes me think young people have not just disengaged with politics because it's poo poo, but they've disengaged with all news media as well for also being poo poo

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They probably never engaged in the first place, and why would you? It's pretty depressing stuff.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
I supposed the Libs squeezing in would do a lot of damage internally to them as well as to the whole public.
Right?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://twitter.com/Tim_Beshara/status/737494230734508033

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I dont know what date the election is and i just asked somebody else and they dont know either. I know there is one and i know its ages away. I'll know when its closer because advertising and thats when i would bother finding out the actual date if i hadnt heard it already

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I dont know what date the election is and i just asked somebody else and they dont know either. I know there is one and i know its ages away. I'll know when its closer because advertising and thats when i would bother finding out the actual date if i hadnt heard it already

July 2. Congrats, you're an informed voter now. Get in the bin with the rest of us lamos.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
yeah I don't think it really indicates anything if people don't know the exact date. So many of us just live from a calendar on a phone or something these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I guess abolishing penalty rates is even more urgent now that minimum wage has gone up.

• Locked thread