Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Les Affaires posted:

Does anybody know anything about immigration law? My girlfriend has a few weeks to get a job or a uni offer before she has to leave the country.

Register an ABN, then employ her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Ey motherfuckers LNP Queensland Leadership spill is about to go down on May Day.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
High court even recently said marriages marriages of convenience were just as valid as any other marriage, so you're completely in the clear if you go that route.

e:Woops federal court.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 2, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Negligent posted:

a guy at work married his Chinese girlfriend because she was going to get booted out of the country otherwise

Pretty sure you need a months minimum notice to get married.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Have you been together long enough to be de facto?

https://www.border.gov.au/about/corporate/information/fact-sheets/35relationship

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 2, 2016

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Les Affaires posted:

Does anybody know anything about immigration law? My girlfriend has a few weeks to get a job or a uni offer before she has to leave the country.

If you apply for Perm Residency, you'll be awarded a bridging visa during your application period. I got the same letter when I graduated, I applied for PR the next day. There was actually a 4 day gap that appeared between the termination of my student visa and the first date of my bridging visa which caused some headache when applying for citizenship (as that has a requirement that you were continuously on a valid visa over X years) but they were able to give me an exception when I explained what happened

If I recall correctly, my bridging visa was approved within a couple of days of paying the PR application fee. That grant a bridging visa regardless of the strength of your PR application so I can imagine a scenario where you submit an application knowing it will fail but knowing you'll be on a bridging visa in the meantime and that it takes 12-18 months to fully process a PR application

E: this info is from 2010 so your mileage may vary

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Serrath posted:

If you apply for Perm Residency, you'll be awarded a bridging visa during your application period. I got the same letter when I graduated, I applied for PR the next day. There was actually a 4 day gap that appeared between the termination of my student visa and the first date of my bridging visa which caused some headache when applying for citizenship (as that has a requirement that you were continuously on a valid visa over X years) but they were able to give me an exception when I explained what happened

If I recall correctly, my bridging visa was approved within a couple of days of paying the PR application fee. That grant a bridging visa regardless of the strength of your PR application so I can imagine a scenario where you submit an application knowing it will fail but knowing you'll be on a bridging visa in the meantime and that it takes 12-18 months to fully process a PR application

E: this info is from 2010 so your mileage may vary

Does the bridging visa grant working rights in the meantime?

E: just saw the edit, yeah laws have changed a bit in the last six years what with various political parties and all. :(

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Les Affaires posted:

Yes it grants all rights of perm residence. It's a visa in lieu of PR

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Les Affaires posted:

E: just saw the edit, yeah laws have changed a bit in the last six years what with various political parties and all. :(

Serrath posted:

Yes it grants all rights of perm residence. It's a visa in lieu of PR

Not entirely true. It looks like it depends on what restrictions are already on your visa. But even if the bridging visa restricts your working rights, you an apply for that to be changed if you can show financial hardship.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/010-

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Everyone is missing the most important issue, how can we use these subs to stop the boats?

I thought it was pretty obvious

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

I know we've had this discussion before but why do we even have a war footing submarine fleet?

Apparently they do heaps of sig-int and stuff, but why do we even bother with torpedoes and poo poo on them?

There are a slew of articles about the submarine arms race currently going on in Asia, but I did read one some months ago that contrasts with buying terrible US planes for Australia. Reasons why subs are good for Australia are similar to those for Asian countries:

* They're cost-effective. It can be cheaper to build subs or buy them than a fleet of planes. And they're multi-functional, from intelligence to weaponry to border-protection.

* They're a good deterrent. As mentioned here, they're harder to track, they can be anywhere, and a sub with a nuclear missile or just a bunch of powerful conventional ones is quite the problem in that regard. For small Asian countries, its the number one reason to feel safer. It's being called an asymmetric advantage. But until there's an actual shooting war, no one knows for sure.

* They've got better range than planes, literally being able to stay at sea for months.

* Since we're talking about the elephant in the room, its believed China's submarines aren't up to snuff with current generation technology, but that could change easily.

Solemn Sloth posted:

The whole war with China thing is blatant yellow perilism but the idea of not handing control over a strategic asset to a government owned company of a nation who has shown itself happy to throw muscle around by withholding contracted material is the least dumb thing he's ever written

It's a no-win situation. You can't join the arms race without the arms. Arms dealing is a government thing, Australia's efforts are small and specific, we have to depend on an arms dealer ie another government. In a shooting war, the arms dealer will definitely have leverage, but there is no instance of an arms dealer who never used that leverage either.

Blot tends to oversimplify issues like this for rhetorical wins, but looking at his arguments for more than a second exposes them for the trite nonsense they are.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

The whole war with China thing is blatant yellow perilism but the idea of not handing control over a strategic asset to a government owned company of a nation who has shown itself happy to throw muscle around by withholding contracted material is the least dumb thing he's ever written

Isn't withholding arms supplies just accepted as legitimate foreign policy? I would be genuinely interested to find out if there was a major arms dealing nation which would have a strict policy of making sure the goods get delivered no matter what.

He cites Japan as a more reliable nation but that looks like more Japan not having a domestic arms industry for very long (after it all got blown up) and having no opportunities to use it to its political advantage.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I remember the US delayed a few weapons shipments to Israel during the 2014 Gaza invasion. I would have thought it pretty commonplace when you were sending a message you weren't supportive of the military action.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I have found a solution to the issue of buying expensive military equipment form other countries:

Abandon all our military capabilities except for the SAS (probably need to keep some guys with guns around and you may as well keep only the "best" ones) and replace it with an emergency response force that helps people instead of murdering them. Retrain and equip them to quickly respond and assist in the recovery/rebuilding of places effected by natural disasters and humanitarian crisis'.

Essentially, make a professional, fully funded and full time version of the SES that has expanded capabilities to not only help Australia, but also other countries.

From a selfish point of view, not only would they be able to actively help Australia in times of disaster but as an added bonus more of the training they receive will be relevant and useful to society after they leave the service. Plus they couldn't be worse at creating enemies and perpetuating terriorism than the current military.

Any extra funding from current levels can be spent on education, health and other good poo poo.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I remember the US delayed a few weapons shipments to Israel during the 2014 Gaza invasion. I would have thought it pretty commonplace when you were sending a message you weren't supportive of the military action.

Hopefully when WW3 starts and France seizes the subs we will be provoked into joining the Central Powers and can make the New Germany poster a reality again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

the Deputy Prime Minister used Question Time to launch a forceful defence of the budget spend to infect carp with herpes

Barnaby 'Fishfucker' Joyce

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Tonight's Four Corners will be on Housing availability and is a must watch.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Creator of Bitcoin digital cash reveals identity

Australian entrepreneur Craig Wright has publicly identified himself as Bitcoin creator Satoshi Nakamoto.
His admission ends years of speculation about who came up with the original ideas underlying the digital cash system.
Mr Wright has provided technical proof to back up his claim using coins known to be owned by Bitcoin's creator.
Prominent members of the Bitcoin community and its core development team have also confirmed Mr Wright's claim.
Signed blocks
Mr Wright has revealed his identity to three media organisations - the BBC, the Economist and GQ.
At the meeting with the BBC, Mr Wright digitally signed messages using cryptographic keys created during the early days of Bitcoin's development. The keys are inextricably linked to blocks of bitcoins known to have been created or "mined" by Satoshi Nakamoto.
"These are the blocks used to send 10 bitcoins to Hal Finney in January [2009] as the first bitcoin transaction," said Mr Wright during his demonstration.
Renowned cryptographer Hal Finney was one of the engineers who helped turn Mr Wright's ideas into the Bitcoin protocol, he said.

"I was the main part of it, but other people helped me," he said.
Mr Wright said he planned to release information that would allow others to cryptographically verify that he is Satoshi Nakamoto.
Jon Matonis, an economist and one of the founding directors of the Bitcoin Foundation, said he was convinced that Mr Wright was who he claimed to be.
"During the London proof sessions, I had the opportunity to review the relevant data along three distinct lines: cryptographic, social, and technical," he said.
"It is my firm belief that Craig Wright satisfies all three categories."
'I want to work'
By going public, Mr Wright hopes to put an end to press speculation about the identity of Satoshi Nakamoto. The New Yorker, Fast Company, Newsweek and many other media organisations have all conducted long investigations seeking Bitcoin's creator and named many different people as candidates.
In December 2015, two magazines, Wired and Gizmodo, named Mr Wright as a candidate after receiving documents believed to be stolen from him that revealed his involvement with the project.
Soon after these stories were published, authorities in Australia raided the home of Mr Wright. The Australian Taxation Office said the raid was linked to a long-running investigation into tax payments rather than Bitcoin.

Questioned about this raid, Mr Wright said he was cooperating fully with the ATO.
"We have lawyers negotiating with them over how much I have to pay," he said.
The stories in December have led to many more journalists and others pursuing him and people he knows, he said.
"There are lots of stories out there that have been made up and I don't like it hurting those people I care about," he said. "I don't want any of them to be impacted by this."
"I have not done this because it is what I wanted. It's not because of my choice," he said, adding that he had no plans to become the figurehead for bitcoins.
"I really do not want to be the public face of anything," he said, expressing regret that he had been forced to reveal his identity.
"I would rather not do it," he said. "I want to work, I want to keep doing what I want to do. I don't want money. I don't want fame. I don't want adoration. I just want to be left alone."
Bitcoins are now accepted as payment for a vast variety of goods and services - everything from international money transfers to ransoms for data encrypted by computer viruses. There are currently about 15.5 million bitcoins in circulation. Each one is worth about $449 (£306).
Satoshi Nakamoto is believed to amassed about one million Bitcoins which would give him a net worth, if all were converted to cash, of about $450m.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36168863

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I only accept dogecoins

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

SynthOrange posted:

Barnaby 'Fishfucker' Joyce

jfc, he just bellowed CAAAAAAAAAARP over and over again in qt, how the gently caress is this clown an elected official

oh yeah, the nats

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Negligent posted:

I only accept dogecoins

I mined a bunch of those and made about $16 moving them back and forth between other dumb nerd currencies.

It was an experience I'd describe as boring and pointless.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Barnaby Joyce has been the official prime minister of Australia more times than bill shorten ever will be

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Watch out those Carp don't evolve....

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dude McAwesome posted:

jfc, he just bellowed CAAAAAAAAAARP over and over again in qt, how the gently caress is this clown an elected official

oh yeah, the nats

Its not very effective

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

:eyepop:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

quote:

DON’T let Barnaby Joyce fool you. He might have convinced many he is a clumsy backwoods chump but he most certainly isn’t.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Dude McAwesome posted:

oh yeah, the nats

I guess you could say he was

Carping on

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Dude McAwesome posted:

oh yeah, the nats

Barnaby being a fuckwit aside it's actually a pretty good plan. Releasing the virus itself is really cheap, most of that money will be for stopping the rivers from getting choked with dead carp.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/727007711133474821

Julie Bishop is all like: is this nigga serious?

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Periphery posted:

I have found a solution to the issue of buying expensive military equipment form other countries:

Abandon all our military capabilities except for the SAS (probably need to keep some guys with guns around and you may as well keep only the "best" ones) and replace it with an emergency response force that helps people instead of murdering them. Retrain and equip them to quickly respond and assist in the recovery/rebuilding of places effected by natural disasters and humanitarian crisis'.

and then we can all hold hands and sing Kumbaya, secure in the knowledge that there will never be a military threat to Australia ever again.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
What the actual gently caress is wrong with Barnaby.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Zenithe posted:

What the actual gently caress is wrong with Barnaby.

National Party member.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Joyce's behavior in that clip has the telltale cadence of a teenager who's found what he thinks is a funny word and will shout it at any chance he gets.

Only with the timeline drastically compressed; I knew a kid like that and it'd take him at least a week to fit in that many instances of 'CAAAAAAAAARP'. With about as much reaction from others, though.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/may/02/widow-of-refugee-who-set-himself-alight-being-kept-in-hotel-and-denied-a-lawyer

They're going to play all these various 'snuck out to the media' recordings in a holocaust museum one day.

Send every single member of the LIberal and Labour governments off as war criminals. The lot of them should be hanged.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

and then we can all hold hands and sing Kumbaya, secure in the knowledge that there will never be a military threat to Australia ever again.

Compare and contrast this to what has happened in Costa Rica.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Frogmanv2 posted:

Compare and contrast this to what has happened in Costa Rica.

Big Boss will fight Peace Walkers in the rainforests of Queensland?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-02/negative-gearing-driving-house-prices-up-liberal-mp-says/7374478

quote:

Budget 2016: Negative gearing helping drive housing prices up, Liberal MP John Alexander says
BY BEN KNIGHT

The Liberal MP who led a parliamentary inquiry into housing affordability has conceded negative gearing has contributed to the current spike in house prices.

Key points:

• Housing boom forcing buyers into huge mortgages, or out to the fringes of the cities
  • Liberal MP John Alexander tells Four Corners negative gearing helped create price spike
  • Jeff Kennett says Labor's new negative gearing policy is reasonable and responsible

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has made it clear there will not be any changes to negative gearing in tomorrow's budget, but the debate is still going on, as house prices in Sydney and Melbourne remain out of reach for many first homebuyers.

The high prices are the result of a combination of factors — supply and demand, record low interest rates, and the mining boom — but many first homebuyers also blame negative gearing, which gives investors a big advantage in the market.

Liberal MP John Alexander led an inquiry into affordability, and told Four Corners negative gearing has led to a housing market "dominated by speculative investors".

"Too often we see the young couple getting beaten out at the auction, and then renting out the very place that they were trying to buy," he said.

Last year, more than half of new home loans went to investors, rather than to people wanting to buy a place to actually live in.

"We're travelling towards a market that is dominated by speculative investors. First homebuyers have really been unable to compete," Mr Alexander said.

Parliament's inquiry into housing affordability is due to report this year.

While his Liberal colleagues are singing the praises of negative gearing, Mr Alexander said it had helped to create the current price boom.

"Negative gearing has worked very well when it has provided affordable rental properties," Mr Alexander said.

"The moment that it intrudes on the marketplace and stops young families from buying the house, that's not ideal. And that's what's happened in this moment when interest rates have gotten so low."

Millennials shut out of market

In 2016, the generational divide in Australia splits along suburban streets.

It used to be that houses cost, on average, three or four times average earnings.

Now, it is more like 10 times average earnings in Melbourne. In Sydney, it is over 12 while in the middle and inner suburbs, it can be much, much higher, forcing first homebuyers into eye-wateringly large mortgages, or out to the fringes of the cities.

Australia's biggest ever housing boom has effectively shut millennials like Jules McKendry out of the market.

At 25, she and her partner have managed to save $150,000 for a deposit but they can not keep up with the rising price of houses.

Ms McKendry has bid at 20 auctions and says she has lost every one of them.

"With the savings I've got, and the money I earn, I wouldn't have thought I would be so far away from buying a house," she told Four Corners.

Negative gearing an election issue

Labor turned negative gearing into an election issue when it announced a policy to wind it back.

Mr Alexander says that would create a freefall in the housing market but there are other Liberals who have said negative gearing's time has come.

Former Victorian Premier Jeff Kennett told Four Corners Labor's policy is reasonable and responsible.

"I'm sure if Labor hadn't introduced a policy on negative gearing, the conservatives would have, which is the great disappointment of politics today," he said.

Mr Kennett is not alone, with former treasurer Joe Hockey also having called for negative gearing to be wound back before he left Parliament last year.

Back in 2005, Mr Turnbull himself described negative gearing as "tax avoidance" but "he's now arguing against the proposition he put out before," Mr Kennett says.

"I think there's a very simple reason. It's all about winning the next election," Mr Kennett said.

Last year, banking regulator APRA stepped in to cool down bank lending to investors.

It is having an effect — the housing market is slowing.

But Ms McKendry said it is not slowing enough to make a difference to her generation.

"If the prices keep doing what they are doing now, there's no way my kids will ever own a house," Ms McKendry said.

"To them it will be normal, because no-one will own houses."

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Everyone is missing the most important issue, how can we use these subs to stop the boats?

How do you think the boats get leaky and begin to sink?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
CAAAAAAAAAAAARRP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I think he might have caught a bit of the Carp Herpes.

• Locked thread