Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
the brain death is clearly unrelated in some cases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Freudian Slip posted:

As a health researcher this scares the poo poo out of me. For decades we have been warned about antibiotic resistant bacteria, but we kept overusing them particularly in factory farming to cut costs. Thanks antibiotics! It was nice having you for the past 70 years!

http://www.smh.com.au/world/the-superbug-that-could-render-antibiotics-useless-just-hit-the-us-20160526-gp4yl3.html

The other issue is that we are not spending anywhere near enough money on looking for new antibiotics or alternatives. That's because antibiotics are cheap - so there is little money to be made in discovering a new one, so most of the research is being done by the public sector.

You understand the gravity of this, but this news is going to roll off the back of everyone who isn't in the health field, nobody else will care and nothing will change, especially with regard to farming practices. That's the truly concerning thing. We're going to have an antibiotic crisis soon, at this stage it's fairly well unavoidable :(

• Locked thread