Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

In the last thread someone posted a good primer on Negative Gearing, can that get posted again? I'd like to refer someone to it.

I don't have it, but in a similar vein back in the Abbott/Hockey years there was of course the Medicare co-payment, and I remember that the numbers around the average number of visits per year were based on some very dodgy assumptions. I think maybe Freudian Slip had done them? Does anyone remember that story, and maybe have a link to the post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Thank you - ah, good times.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

EvilElmo posted:

edit: In the ACT the Greens get my #1 Senate vote to improve their chance of picking up the Liberal Senate seat here. Last election they ran a poo poo candidate, this time around they have a much better candidate. But like Greens across Australia, the average age of members is about 70, they don't doorknock, they set up a few community stalls and letterbox. No phonebanking or layered voter contact. Zed is a weak candidate and doesn't reflect the (small l) Liberals that make up most of the conservative vote. He should go this election, he attached himself to Abbott and should get punished at the ballot. He hardly got in at the last election, even though he was a very popular opposition leader at the Territory election. A poo poo candidate and bad campaigning made them miss out. Let's see if they can improve this time around.

I hate to go all local factors, but last election (particularly early in the campaign) you couldn't swing a cat in Canberra without knocking down five Simon Sheikh signs (and as the former head of GetUp he was pretty high profile); and Zed was dealing with the (deserved) reputation of having knifed the popular Gary Humphreys in a cynical bid for federal politics having failed at the Terrritory elections.

Edit: You're not wrong that Zed is a terrible candidate and representative, though.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

turdbucket posted:

On the subject of Centrelink. I can't find any information but if I started a degree in 2010 but dropped out due to sad brains and now want to return to uni as a mature age student to get a degree which will supposedly help me move up a bit in my industry (lol) will I able able to get Austudy?

I can't find any info but I'm sure I was told years ago that because I didn't complete my first degree they won't give me any assistance other than Newstart? If there is anywhere better to ask this let me know but Centrelink never pick up the phone and I need to work out what the gently caress i can do.

What you want to look at (assuming you're over 25) are the allowable time rules for Austudy. This is probably the link you want, but hunt around that part if it's not: http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/3/3/4/70

the Guide to Social Security Law posted:

Example: Jack enrolled in a Bachelor of Arts in Semester 1, 2005. At the end of Semester 2, 2005, he withdrew from his course and did not complete the degree. In Semester 2,2015, he enrolled in a Bachelor of Science. As he has undertaken study at the same level in the previous 10 years, the Semester 2 of his Bachelor of Arts from 2005 will be taken into account to assess his allowable time for his Bachelor of Science. Semester 1 of his Bachelor of Arts in 2005 will be disregarded as it is outside of 10 years. However, if Jack was to commence the Bachelor of Science in 2016, the Bachelor of Arts would not be taken into account as it has been more than 10 years since he has undertaken any previous study at the same level.

It should be noted that Jack's allowable time will be assessed from the day on which he enrols in his current course, not from when he enrols in each year of the course. If Jack enrols in the course in Semester 2, 2015, his allowable time will include the study from Semester 2, 2005. His allowable time will not be reset in Semester 1, 2016 even though the previous study would be more than 10 years ago.

Does this sound like you?

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Mad Katter posted:

The Howard government also changed how unemployment was counted, and then claimed credit for the falling unemployment rate.

Ahh... I'm happy to be corrected but I'm pretty sure we've used ILO definitions for unemployment for decades.

e: More than anyone not named Greg Jericho would reasonably care about here: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/6102.0.55.001Chapter62013

Resident Idiot fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 30, 2016

• Locked thread