Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

dr_rat posted:

I assume bolt is just hoping Peta can help bring down Turnbull same as she helped Abbott out? I mean he must now that Abbott and Peta are as politically poisonous as each other.

Why do you last names for males but first names for females?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

and then we can all hold hands and sing Kumbaya, secure in the knowledge that there will never be a military threat to Australia ever again.

Compare and contrast this to what has happened in Costa Rica.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

, but I'll console myself with the hope that's what's happened and you're not actually this hosed in the head.

This is auspol. Your hope is sorely misplaced.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

AAAAnnndd gently caress off Bronwyn Bishop

And Bill Heffernan.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

#Greenstakingcreditforthings

We relied on a Green vote in the lower house to form Government. The Greens weren't in the party room, nor in cabinet, where ALP policy is decided. No Greens were Ministers.

Nice try though.

This is hilarious.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

But like Greens across Australia, the average age of members is about 70, they don't doorknock, they set up a few community stalls and letterbox. No phonebanking or layered voter contact.

Lets just sit back and marvel at this post for a minute shall we?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

It would explain why in the progressive area in Australia, you have 1 member in Parliament.

Its completely wrong, but dont let that stop you from spinning it into something that suits your narrative.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

the gently caress is this?

Elmo being a torture apologist.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

Feel free to point out the doorknocking that's happened in the ACT in the last 5 months? When they last phonebanked?

Im not up 100% on the ACT greens activites, but I can tell you, without any trace of doubt, that phone banking happens in other states, along with a shitload of doorknocking. Admittedly there isnt too much letterboxing going on, because apparently its not that effective a tactic, but to state "like Greens across Australia, the average age of members is about 70, they don't doorknock, they set up a few community stalls and letterbox. No phonebanking or layered voter contact." is just hilariously wrong.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mithranderp posted:

but you're definitely full of poo poo EvilElmo

Ftfy

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Negligent posted:

80k is pretty much the average full time income according to the ABS

sorry you don't know anyone that has a job

Try getting one it's really great

Now explain the difference between average and median, you imbecile.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hey Elmo, care to explain this video, specifically why labor denied the motion?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efi0tXjQd6E

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Laserface posted:

OH WOW whatta sick burn, that'll get them to change their tune RE: refugees!!!!
good choice of words there champ.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bigis posted:

I'm pretty sure Dutton reads

let me correct you before you go any further.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

knowing fully well that the government doesn't give a gently caress, isn't it straight up illegal to return asylum seekers to their place of alleged persecution without checking the eligibility?

yeah its called refoulement

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

I assumed the guy using twitter to decry his lack of freedom of speech to entire internet had to be satire.

Nope, they actually think that.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Xerxes17 posted:

So hey, how do I vote while I am overseas?
Head to your closest Australian consulate

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

I think it is a term chosen by fuckheads for it's fairly strong negative connotation to refer to the changes in western culture and values towards a more progressive and inclusive society. They've realised you look like a bit of a tool in this day and age if you say 'racism is great or equal rights for women and minorities is a bad thing' so they dress it up a bit and call it cultural marxism.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/19/cultural-marxism-a-uniting-theory-for-rightwingers-who-love-to-play-the-victim

pretty much.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Can someone buy Negligent an avatar of Bill Shorten with the subtitle: "I know who I'm going to vote for this election. I'm going to put people first."

If anyone has the spare cash to spend on such a pathetic waste of oxygen, they should donate it to a good cause instead.

msf, unhcr, red cross all deserve the money more than that.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Well there's one WA seat the ALP are going to hold for sure

You mean with their candidate that just got disendorsed and hasnt been replaced yet?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Exclamation Marx posted:

You're really bad at posting

Exclamation Marx posted:

I see your Greens have finally decided to go right-wing

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Either you were reposting poo poo that has been gone over extensively in the thread already, or you jump into a slowish moving thread without bothering to read the last page or so.

Either way

Exclamation Marx posted:

You're really bad at posting

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

turdbucket posted:

Again what RDN did wasn't illegal but he took advantage of the kind of thing the Greens are fighting against, and as he has decided to appoint himself the representative of the party
No he didnt. He was voted in.

quote:

and it's members without consultation with the members
No he didnt. At the bare minimum he would have had to be put forward by the members of his local group.

quote:

he should be ready to face the extra scrutiny that deserves. He's a true "pragmatic" politician like Nick Clegg and a whole jumble of Green politicians around the world who have watered down and backed away from left wing positions in order to win a little influence in government.

What positions has he backed away from?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

turdbucket posted:

Really? I don't live in Victoria so I didn't vote for him at preselection. I also don't remember voting for him to represent the party? He likes to sent me letters constantly telling me he is my leader yet I don't remember ever having the option of voting for or against him. Don't act like MPs voting for the leader count is in any way democratic.
Thats not what you stated. If you would like to change your argument, then go for it, but to say he appointed himself is entirely wrong.

quote:

Backed away from free education,
Still greens policy.

quote:

backed away from basic income,
Still greens policy

quote:

backed away from pushing our IR laws and left wing rhetoric in favour of appealing to small l liberals.
He still pushing left wing rhetoric

quote:

At the moment he's still bound by member policy but who knows what he will do when the ALP offer him a cabinet position if they need the Greens to form government.

Defend him all you want but don't pretend like the members had any say in his election to the leadership or have any say in removing him from the leadership. Defending someone who has shown he has little regard for the grassroots membership in a grassroots party is beyond idiotic, do you want a repeat of Tasmania or Germany?
They could have if they wanted to. Pretty sure there was a committee that established and voted for who should be on the leadership panel and it was made up of members of the greens party. Im sorry that the party doesnt consult you personally for every decision. Maybe you should join the quick action committee if you would like a bigger say in what goes on? What committees are you a part of?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

NEWSFLASH: I'm a migrant and I agree with Peter Dutton.

How do you internally reconcile the fact that the government let's in around a million people on temporary work visas with the idea that it's the refugees that are taking the jobs?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mr Chips posted:

Is it really a million people? The only numbers I can quickly find while eating my brekkie is ~120k 457 workers in 2013, and ~144k 417 (working holiday visas) in 2015.

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2016/03/australias-disgrace-the-exploitation-of-temp-workers/

quote:

The Senate Education and Employment References Committee has released a scathing report entitled A National Disgrace: The Exploitation of Temporary Work Visa Holders, which documents the abuses of Australia’s temporary visa system for foreign workers.

According to the report, there are over 1.8 million temporary visa holders in Australia (see Table 2.5 below), with approximately 1.4 million of them having work rights. This means that temporary visa holders comprise around 10% of Australia’s labour force.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

And in the country side surrounding Fukushima where over 100k people will never be able to return home again. .... Yep - people are totally overreacting to this.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

This sort of stuff gives me the shits. I had to go back to uni and added an extra $80,000 onto my HECS/FEE HELP taking a couple of postgrad courses because it was too hard to find permanent work once I finished undergrad and moving from temp job to temp job was becoming pretty soul destroying. When the unemployment and underemployment rate is as high as it currently is there is no reason for a lot of those 1.4 million extra people to be in the workforce. Granted some of them will have skills that don't exist in the country but I'd be shocked if a large number of them were hired because they don't cost as much and are less likely to join a union.

I think you just hit on your reason.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Freudian Slip posted:

As a health researcher this scares the poo poo out of me. For decades we have been warned about antibiotic resistant bacteria, but we kept overusing them particularly in factory farming to cut costs. Thanks antibiotics! It was nice having you for the past 70 years!

http://www.smh.com.au/world/the-superbug-that-could-render-antibiotics-useless-just-hit-the-us-20160526-gp4yl3.html

The other issue is that we are not spending anywhere near enough money on looking for new antibiotics or alternatives. That's because antibiotics are cheap - so there is little money to be made in discovering a new one, so most of the research is being done by the public sector.

One of my good friends who works in science communications has given up on worrying about climate change because he thinks humans wont be around in big enough numbers for it to be much of an issue.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

There is a poster up at my workplace about shift bidding coming soon.

This is bad, yes?

What would you be bidding with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

As far as I know it's usually the amount of money your labour is worth. No details yet, but it sounded ominous.

I would start looking for a new job. There is no way this can turn out good for the employee.

• Locked thread