Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Bye you insane dork. Thanks for opposing some of the more ridiculous measures in that Hockey budget that one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Kat Delacour posted:

I do find that even the gap charge doctors in my area are still very reasonable and will let me go through as a bulk billing patient if I'm just in for something very quick like a script refill or referral update.

Yeah, I've never not been bulk billed for either of these two things.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Kat Delacour posted:

Has anyone in the media seriously and specifically called out the repeated assertion of 80k as middle income? Because SloMo kept saying middle income over and over and over and over and over in his mini presser this morning and it makes my loving blood boil because surely if it's middle income I should know a few people who earn that much

If someone called them out they'd probably site the ABS median household income, which was $80,704 in 2013-14.

quote:

While there is some good data on household incomes by organisations such as the National Centre for Social and Economic Modelling, every two years the Australian Bureau of Statistics releases its survey of Household Income and Wealth.

The latest release shows that the median gross household income in 2013-14 was $80,704, and the average of all households was $107,276:

Buuuut...

quote:

As you might imagine, these figures are a bit misleading.

Yes, if you live in a household that brings in more than $80,704 yours is in the richest 50% of all households, but such figures don’t account for differences in household size. The gross income figures effectively treats a household with a family of five the same as that of a single person.

So saying you live in a household that brings in $80,000 doesn’t tell us much. If you are living alone, you’re clearly doing a lot better than another household on the same income that has two adults and three kids.

This is why the ABS uses “equivalised” household incomes. This measure allows us to compare households like for like – by firstly looking at disposable income, which gives a better indication of the income a household has available to meet its needs, and then by allowing for differences of household sizes.

The formula adds 50% to an income for each adult and 30% for each child under 15. So, for example a single person earning $1,000 a week would be on the same equivalised income as a household with a single parent with one child who earned $1,300.

Using this measure the median annual disposable income for a single person is $43,836 and for a family of two adults and two children it is $92,056:

quote:

It’s a bit hard to work out what you’d need to earn before tax to hit that median, assuming your income comes via work and not government benefits, which is rarely the case. But for a single person to take home $43,836 after income tax and the Medicare levy has been paid, they’d need to be on about $53,800.

For a family of two it is even harder to estimate, given we need to know the split of incomes earned. But assuming a 70/30 split of income (ie one partner earns 70% of the household’s income), one partner would need a job paying $85,900, while the other earned $30,000, for a total pre-tax income of $115,900.

Interestingly, the amount at which a household with two kids under 12 stops receiving any Family Tax Benefit A is $109,427 – thus a level below the median household income.

Using the same split, households earning $185,000, far from being “not especially high” would be in the top 25% of all households.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Oh yeah, one of my friends felt that quake in the APY lands so it must have rattled a pretty large area. I remember reading a report that suggested that Adelaide has a similar earthquake risk as Christchurch and then a couple of days later I read a newspaper article that casually mentioned that an elevated roadway there wasn't built with earthquake reinforcements.

Despite what people say about Australia being tectonically inactive, there'll probably be an earthquake in Aus at some point that racks up a bit of a body count, maybe in Newcastle or Adelaide. Probably Adelaide, since historically the epicentre of earthquakes (like the 1954 one) has been less than 10km from the CBD.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Snod. posted:

Vote #1 Anidav

australia would got exploited by all the bigger nations

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

MaliciousOnion posted:

bugs_bunny_cutting_off_qldwa.gif

I got your back son

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
The NXT thing isn't really a new phenomenon. A large minority of South Australians have voted third party since the 1980's. During the gradual collapse of manufacturing in the 20th century, Adelaide dropped from the third to the fifth largest city in terms of population and around the time Perth overtook Adelaide in the 80's Adelaide basically became Democrats heartland. At least personally I don't really think those two things are unrelated. After the Democrats disappeared from the scene Xenophon's vote started to increase, until the 2013 election, where he had a higher primary vote than the ALP. Basically as long as people (rightly) feel that NSW is overrepresented in Australian politics, a bunch of them will vote third party. I guess since it's mostly urban voters they're not voting for a joke of a person like Katter but I guess it's a similar principle to an region that feels neglected like FNQ.

Though, with the exception of the northern suburbs which are doomed, I don't think Adelaide is in as long term strife as people think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I remember a few years back when I worked in a supermarket chain the SDA negotiated a new contract that shortened our breaks :psyduck: Actually the managers just ignored it because even they realised that 10 minute breaks were a bit of a joke so even the hardline ones let us have 15 minutes.

• Locked thread