Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Negligent posted:

I read something untrue on social media.

This is an outrage.

Harrison??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

open24hours posted:

Is this smart?

No, it is not.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Just caught up on the overnight posts and have to say: LibertyCat and EvilElmo, in the interest of debate I'm not saying don't post but jesus christ do you both have some awful opinions.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

BBJoey posted:

it would be tragic imo if dutton was burnt alive

I tried to roast some potatoes in coals once and burnt them pretty bad. That's sorta the same thing, right?

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Unbelievably nobody is jumping to the defence of Electric Bill.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
edit: replying to negligent

Except that the statement is misleading.

Amethyst posted:

Politicians selectively manipulate statistics to serve their agenda.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Negligent posted:

to the normal voter, middle = average

"Normal voter"'s would take "the average Australian income is $x" to mean $x is what most Australians earn. This isn't true.

Unfortunately most people don't think about it for more than a half a second.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Negligent posted:

A person of average intelligence gives no fucks about the difference between mean and median and would rather watch masterchef than stare at a graph purportedly showing how wrong something a politician said is

Then how is perpetuating a misconception a good thing? Isn't it far better to get people to realise they're being mislead?

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
They're waiting to see public opinion on it. Obviously the most popular opinion is the right one.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Negligent posted:

My mum always taught us it's rude to ask people who they're voting for.

Just to play negligent advocate here, my mum always said this too.

I have no idea why and how polling would fit in to her definition of rude though.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
In a shocking twist, Negligent is actually Brick Dust Otis's mother.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Poor Tones. All alone.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
It's not freedom of speech if someone disagrees with you (apparently)

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

In the interests of a fair campaign, all party leaders should have to share the same clapped out bus from Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

That way they'll also be on hand to respond to each other's comments.

You know, there are two things I don't like about you, Malcolm... your face. So how 'bout shutting both of them?

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What do you think about Malcolm Turnbull?

"If I was voting Liberal I would vote for him. There was a lot of things attributed to him, that he would do that he would say, that would be happening, now that they they're here well we don't see those things happening. Is that because it's an election year and they just want to protect themselves as much as they can?"

Dunno what this means mate.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Are there any issues that are important to you that you'd like to see them make a promise about?
"Oh make a promise, they do a lot of promise here. Work... I work in a kitchen. You can see people aren't coming anymore. They do the turtle, they put their head in and they don't spend money."

Well known cheapskates: Turtles.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Doesn't look like it http://nationals.org.au/candidates/

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Yeah, does seem like a token disagreement.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

You Am I posted:

Daniel Andrews has posted up the letters he has got from homophobic people about his support for the Safe Schools program:

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/arts-and-culture/woah-dan-andrews-showed-us-the-hectic-icky-homopho/db9bc15b-594b-4e73-a5d4-47e96b3f0d99.htm

Probably shouldn't have read that.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
TBH I've been pretty lucky in my life and haven't really encountered anyone so actively anti-gay, so to be reminded that these people exist is a little disconcerting. I'm sure there's more/worse out there for sure.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
I could have sworn I saw Nathan Fielder of Nathan for you handing out Labor pamphlets at the train station this morning. Should have taken a photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Anidav posted:

"To have a candidate in uniform promoting views like same-sex marriage and safe schools gives the impression that they are views supported by the ADF," he said.

"They are not."[/b]

How much the ADF's opinions on these issues matter:

• Locked thread