Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
good OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Cartoon posted:

Maybe if enough brain dead blokes get Filipino/Thai wives it will all happen without too much effort in any case.

:chanpop:

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Please forums poster Cartoon tell me more about being braindead and marrying a Thai or Filipino lady.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
We should have built Nuclear subs.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
If anyone could make good use of Nuclear subs it's Australia. Ideally unmanned ones that could lie dormant for months then suddenly surface in Jakarta Bay, unleash a swarm of drones, then vanish.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Jobs, baseload power that is way safer and cheaper than anything else on a $/joule metric, and greatly improved defenses more suited to our region. We have low population density, stable geotectonics and a shitload of empty space to store waste. It's madness that we aren't nuclear already.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
^^^ because we're an island and it's way better to sink ships before they drop an invasion force on our shore. Haven't you ever played Civ?

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Who said it'd be trivial?

The best way to maintain peace is not to look like an easy target.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Periphery posted:

I have found a solution to the issue of buying expensive military equipment form other countries:

Abandon all our military capabilities except for the SAS (probably need to keep some guys with guns around and you may as well keep only the "best" ones) and replace it with an emergency response force that helps people instead of murdering them. Retrain and equip them to quickly respond and assist in the recovery/rebuilding of places effected by natural disasters and humanitarian crisis'.

and then we can all hold hands and sing Kumbaya, secure in the knowledge that there will never be a military threat to Australia ever again.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

KennyTheFish posted:

Can I go with the humane asylum seeker policy?

Not torturing innocent people is a fairly simple line in the sand. Crossing it for any reason, makes you wrong on a fundamental level.

You are literally advocating crimes against humanity for the sake of political power.

I think it's a stretch to call it Torture. We're not waterboarding them, nor tearing off their fingernails, nor forcing them to go without sleep. They made the choice to try to come here knowing what would happen and are free to return to their own country at any time.

If I could teleport them instantly back to say Indonesia, I would.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

meteor9 posted:

People are literally killing themselves rather than go back to whatever they escaped from, and you keep trotting this out like they're just on loving vacation or something.

They didn't step across the border from some wartorn shithole and into Australia. They crossed through a heap of other countries first. If we're such bastards why not pick somewhere closer.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
and as I keep saying, we're being taken for fools and should just back out of the Refugee convention. This isn't WW2.

edit: As a hypothetical, suppose we did just this. Realistically are asylum seekers lives any worse off? According to this thread we're already torturing people until they kill themselves, and I doubt even Australia will create Holocaust 2.0, so I doubt it.

Without the convention in place we have much more freedom to come up with a cheaper, arguably more humane solution on the mainland. We are also free to take the worst of the troublemakers (rapists who use the "cultural differences" defense, murderers etc) and just put them on a cannon and shoot them into the sea without worrying about refoulement bs.

LibertyCat fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 2, 2016

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So these other countries should be made to take them while not being party to the convention, and we should pull out of the convention...so that we don't have to take them?

Other countries should not be able to put their fingers in their ears and go "you signed that bit of paper, you take em, we're just gonna let them travel through our borders and there's nothing you can do nyah nyah nyah"

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why? We signed the bit of paper because we thought that refugees should be protected.

Circumstances change. I'd like to see it an election issue.

UN conventions I'd like Australia to scrap:

Refugee Convention
Nuclear Non-Proliferation
Ottawa Treaty
Rights of the Child
Anything involving Agenda 21

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

GoldStandardConure posted:

what the serious gently caress is wrong with you
We have a lot of land with a small population and a tiny army. Force multipliers like landmines might be needed one day. It's not like we're gonna leave them everywhere like Angola etc.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
I doubt we'd ever need them but why limit ourselves for no good reason?

Australians are probably just a little more disciplined than troops involved in a decades-long civil war. With suitable R&D you could have minefields that could be remotely turned on and off via an encrypted radio link, minimizing the chance of civilian causalities after the conflict is over, but instantly denying enemy use of chokepoints.

Minefields are also good because they are defensive-only. Suppose we mined the poo poo out of parts of Australia. It would increase our defense capability without presenting any threat to other countries. If we used the same money to buy fancy new long-range bombers nearby countries would get nervous and upgrade their own bombing fleet.

LibertyCat fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 2, 2016

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Tokamak posted:

What is your opinion on the Chemical Weapons Convention?

If we're at the point where we'd seriously use chemicals weapons, we're already screwed.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Cleretic posted:

You realize that, if we did get invaded (un-loving-likely), they would be arriving on the coastlines, right? What with there being literally no other way to hit us?

Given that, I'm sure you also realize that almost every single one of our cities is a coastal city? Because there's poo poo loving all to found a city on in landlocked regions?

Landmines are one of the least valuable defenses we could ever have, because these hypothetical invaders aren't going to want to take land routes anyway because we're loving huge and have massive stretches of nothing. Which, as luck would have it, would also make landmines loving useless as a defense because of a lack of strategically advantageous places to put them. What, are you going to litter a country road between Melbourne and Sydney with them, when there's honking great stretches of flat land to go around them?

We can mine shorelines etc.

Look, I'm not advocating we temporarily close Surfers Paradise to put in a remotely-activated minefield. We'd probably never deploy them. But why restrict ourselves?

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
I'll stop posting here for as long as Negligent shuts up about Scott Morrison Bill Shorten. Brain fart.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
As soon as there are more people locked out of the housing market due to greedy fucks negatively gearing en masse, than negative gearers, it will become an election issue. It will happen eventually.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Big Willy Style posted:

My theory was that with the refugee crisis going on in Europe and things being up in the air there that they would leave dutton so if poo poo goes south for them he could be the scape goat being one of the last remnants of team Abbott. But now he just seems to be an albatross hanging around the LNPs neck.

The way I remember it, the albatross brought good luck until some idiot killed it.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Negligent posted:

i get a tax cut

dole bludgers have to go do work

what a great night

gently caress them so hard for setting the GST-free threshold to 0 though. Way to add a ton of PITA processing fees just to protect local rip-off merchants.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
This budget has me seriously considering voting ALP

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Bill Shorten hasn't even delivered his speech yet and this feckless Libertarian youth has already switched his vote.

"considering".

The GST thing really, really annoys me. Setting it to zero means they're going to make it a complete PITA to buy stuff and the processing could cost much more than the price of the item. It will probably cost me more than I'd save in tax cuts.

I also think Negative Gearing is terrible even though I am likely to personally benefit from it if Turnbull wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Anidav posted:

Or just raise Newstart by 200 dollars rather than creating a poo poo workplace environment with no protection.

Raising Newstart does not mean "fiddly office poo poo" will get done.

• Locked thread