Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The LibertyCat emerged from its burrow. The election is coming early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Everyone is missing the most important issue, how can we use these subs to stop the boats?

How do you think the boats get leaky and begin to sink?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

LibertyCat posted:

We have a lot of land with a small population and a tiny army. Force multipliers like landmines might be needed one day. It's not like we're gonna leave them everywhere like Angola etc.

What is your opinion on the Chemical Weapons Convention?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

LibertyCat posted:

We can mine shorelines etc.

Look, I'm not advocating we temporarily close Surfers Paradise to put in a remotely-activated minefield. We'd probably never deploy them. But why restrict ourselves?

Why restrict ourselves with chemical weapons? It is a better alternative than feasibly landmining our coastline, you can just sarin gas the approaching ships. Rocketry is better than what it was in World War II. It's bullshit that Americans get to use it in 'nam, but we can't in our fantasy World War III scenarios.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:gary:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

tithin posted:

I miss tones

If we’re honest, most of us would accept that a bad prime minister is a little bit like a bad employment services provider or a bad real estate agent. Not withstanding all his or her faults, you find that he tends to do more good than harm. He might be a bad prime minister but at least he’s blaming someone else while he is in fact the prime minister.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Negligent has been melting down more than usual lately. Maybe this means that Bill Shorten is going to become prime minister.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

open24hours posted:

ABS has everything on their website.
http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D3310114.nsf/home/About+TableBuilder

Looks like it was a bit less than $65k.

I'm the Cum.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/728135304058540033

Why did it leak though?

E: Could it be that Tony is that butthurt?

Yes, it’s a long bow but reckon this could add to the federal destabilization.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Surprisingly few journos in the room.

Their mothers are more important than this garbage.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

A browser extension removed the post code entry form, so I selected NSW. The first question was about refugees. Then I went back and entered my postcode. Now the first question is about a federal corruption watchdog. lmao.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I just discovered that after moving a suburb over I've gone from an electorate that is a somewhat safe Labor seat, to a marginal Liberal seat :getin:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Skellybones posted:

I think it's randomised each time you load it.

When you think the program is being more clever than it actually is :downs:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Cartoon posted:

This is quite a piece of work:

Nutella, pizza and Nutella pizza are all good. Sign me up.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Snod. posted:

Is a $6000 toaster actually code for a minimum wage employee to toast poo poo for you

Or get New Start interns and turn it into a -$6000/yr toaster.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Negligent posted:

Tony Abbott is very smart with money. He bought a fridge off Gumtree saving hundreds of dollars compared to buying new.

Truly a man of the people.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Mithranderp posted:

Somewhat, but it can also mean that larger councils get the 'I can do whatever the gently caress I want' attitude like BCC did, and run roughshod over smaller businesses. Not to mention that, for example, BCC seems rife with opportunistic corruption, so they don't tend to stand up to big developers as much as you might expect.

The councils in my area are notorious for being corrupt. Amalgamating them would turn them into a large, corrupt council. Size has nothing to do with it. Maybe the councillors will tear each other apart trying to retain their influence in the new council, so perhaps it would be a good thing.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Redcordial posted:

Are there any videos or streams available to watch last nights debate?

I've tried the Google with no success and I'm eagerly awaiting being able to watch it.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/politics/PeoplesForumLive.html

I watched it later and was pretty underwhelmed by the whole thing. There was a lady asking an asinine question and waffled on for what seemed like forever. Not only did the moderator not cut her off, he gave the mic back to her to let her waffle on some more.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 14, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

^^
You guessed it.

Although after that debate I thought, I can't believe that Bill Shitten will become our PM.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

starkebn posted:

bold this part

That was the debate in a nutshell. Turnbull saying tax cuts are good for jobs and growth, asset sales where it makes sense, and getting the best value for your dollar in health/education/etc. Shorten said the opposite, we should tax businesses, keep our assets and spend more on health/education/etc, and people ate it up. He pretty much hoisted Turnbull by his own ideological petard, because people are sick of letting banks and big businesses get away with murder and government services being perpetually underfunded.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Seagull posted:

they won't do this because they know they'd get smashed

They don't even want to do the plebiscite due to this reason. People will start to get belligerent and expect them to act on it if there is popular support :cry:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Lid posted:

The Greens-Liberal Axis has (probably) claimed another Battler victim!

It is "hypocritical" for Labor frontbencher David Feeney to negatively gear a house when his party's policy is to abolish the practice, Federal Finance Minister Mathias Cormann says.

Mr Feeney has failed to declare a $2.3 million house on his parliamentary register of interests, saying it was an oversight.

He also negatively gears the house.

If that is bad, then Malcolm Turnbull should be kicked out of politics for being involved with a Panama shell company with no obvious purpose other than to rort the tax system. Thumbing your nose at your own countries sovereignty to collect business tax which funds your job as a member of parliament must be near the top of the charts for hypocrisy.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It was pretty much just that post. The rest of it was his usual, Bill Shorten is a bad man who is going to lose.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

open24hours posted:

The au pair thing doesn't seem that bad if you think about what an au pair is, which is generally a young woman on some sort of cultural exchange (i.e. a working holiday) and only staying for a short time. If being an au pair was a career then I'd understand the outrage.

I guess you could also argue that being an au pair should be a career, and that treating them differently is exploitative and takes jobs away from professional nannies, but I'm not sure I find that argument convincing.

To me, It is mainly the fairness of deducting lodgings from a wage. The 'value' of lodgings for au pairs is far more abstract and nebulous than local rental and share housing prices for a number of reasons.

The accommodation is only provided on the provision that the person is taking a job, and would otherwise not be offered on the market. It is a granny flat or spare bedroom; it isn't a 'real' accommodation since you are a guest, not a tenant. In all likelihood you can't have social events and bring guests over, or have the freedom to behave as you'd would in a relaxed adult environment (nor would you be able to feel fully relaxed). The employer is creating value from something that would otherwise be valueless. Would they charge this amount to a relative who is visiting? It can only be accomplished by people who own and have bigger than necessary homes. A working parent who rents and might see this as a more beneficial arrangement than child care just doesn't have the means to take advantage of it. They are in a financially advantageous position to have spare space in one of the most expensive places to live in the world, so why charge board in the first place?

The accommodation is intrinsic to the job itself. The whole point of having an au pair live with the family is to be able to have easy access to their services. It is essentially a way to keep the employee satisfied and at work longer. It is no different from providing a well stocked break room with meals, hammocks/rest area, office shower etc. or perks to improve job satisfaction/retention such as a gym membership or taxi service. No one expects you to be docked below minimum wage in order for employers to provide these benefits, so why is it different for au pairs? The private accommodation is the place of employment. There is no rational way for a person to compartmentalise and separate these conflicting mental models. At least in the case of a job like fruit picking there is a physical separation between the job and your accommodation, you don't pick fruit to operate the stove or to move from room to room.

The hours might be more flexible than would be acceptable under an award. You might be working a few hours in the morning and a few in the evening. The hours might change week by week in a way that is incompatible with a second job. Or you might be asked to do extra work at the last minute, and have no real say in the matter. You don't get credited for hours if you are in the house when 'off duty', so you end up 'working' far more than the official hours. If you see a child doing something really dumb but you aren't working, you are still going to intervene; you are always passively working. What is and isn't work is murky, and always benefits the employer.

And finally, $300/week is essentially at or above market rate for share accommodation+utilities, but without many of the benefits of share accommodation. You might be getting food as well (again, this is more like a perk), but how much say are you really going to have with that? Do you expect your employer to also pay for cosmetic/hygiene products, and any extra food that wasn't already being prepared for a meal (beyond maybe being able to request some chips, biscuits and fruit)? It is harder to stretch $150 if you are locked in to your arrangements than if you had $450 but had more choice over where and how you lived, and opportunities for additional work.

Even if it is legal, it isn't the sort of thing a progressive politician should be taking advantage of. At the very least he should be paying minimum wage for those '25' hours. If these practices were done in a purely business environment by corporations, people would be far less forgiving. This doesn't even get into the exploitation of foreign/captive labour and women's work.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 22, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav posted:

Every man, woman and child deserves to eat at Carls Jr. Not because they want to but because they have to.

I would also legalize keeping Pademelons as pets.

I don't trust an American to make a quality burger.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Quantum Mechanic posted:

National Council or Conference choosing the leader would be a FAR fairer and more representative system.

And introducing the new leader of the Greens, Sarah Hanson-young. *Monkey paw closes its finger.*

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav posted:

The Turnbull government is pushing ahead with plans to place sensitive medical records under corporate management and will announce on Thursday that Telstra Health - a division of Telstra - has been awarded the contract to manage a new national cancer screening register from next year.

In this agile new economy, maybe we should contract the ATO out to Foxtel? Tax Returns now come in the form of Sportsbet prepaid cards because THATS MY TEAM

When I think of reliable companies that I want to manage cancer screening, I think of Telstra.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

*receives letter from Telstra Health*

Balance carried forward: $1
Cancer Screening Admin fee: $1
Late fee: $15

Amount due: $17

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Zenithe posted:

There is a poster up at my workplace about shift bidding coming soon.

This is bad, yes?

Probably. Instead of a fixed roster, they list the available shifts and it's up to you to request them, or you type in the hours you want to work and it spits out a roster that roughly matches your request. Whether that is a good thing or not depends on the type job, the hours you like to work, and whether there are enough shifts to go around. You can probably came up with more situations of it loving you over more often than not.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 29, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Young Labor should get on the dank meme train, and do some Bill and KFC Zinger burger mashups.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

thank you

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

adamantium|wang posted:

Death to the SDA.

I'm sure that Coles staff were lining up to take their blood donor, and emergency services leave!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Recoome posted:

Perth Lieutenant: Elijah Jacobson.
Eli has been an ardent supporter of the UPF since its formation. A mysterious but loyal man. His tenacity and dedication are unparalleled. He works under Huts in the Perth area.

Is he trying to say that he works at Pizza Hut?

• Locked thread