Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Frogmanv2 posted:

Why do you last names for males but first names for females?

Oh my loving god who gives a gently caress you pedantic oval office.

E: Page snype like a boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I think its way more interesting and surprising that a politician on a politicians salary 'could really use' five grand.

Like, five grand would make a significant difference to my life on my :siren: median :siren: salary, what the gently caress is Tones spending his $700k/year on or whatever the gently caress PMs get paid that 5 grand would actually make a difference?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

katlington posted:

What I can tell you, Minister Dutton, is that asylum seekers are not self-harming because of the advocates.

Asylum seekers are self-harming because of you

OH WOW whatta sick burn, that'll get them to change their tune RE: refugees!!!!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Frogmanv2 posted:

good choice of words there champ.

I thought so too!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wow all you guys are as left as the Greens or More so colour me surprised.

Also Green

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Hahaha holy poo poo

https://www.facebook.com/browncardigan/posts/1148025308594442

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Birdstrike posted:

you should take that dude's advice

Be homophobic?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I work with a number of cafes and restaurants and any toaster worth a poo poo is over $1000.

When they have to be on basically all day and not fail they do need to be robust and reliable and a $30 breville doesnt really cut it. Our staffroom unit is a breville and its been replaced 3-4 times in the last 12 months.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I should clarify that a $6000 toaster is still a terrible argument to make in the context and not at all acceptable but industrial toasters are expensive for a reason.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

CrazyTolradi posted:

What is your opinion on coffee machines that go for $20,000USD?

Coffee machines are bullshit. Coffee is bullshit. Tea is the superior beverage.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Australias_voting_habits.txt

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Duncan reminds me of my GFs dad. Hes had the same lovely abusive childhood and since society at the time never did anything about it, he was in turn abusive to his kids. He is definitely in need of the welfare system but not without some pretty terrible flaws that make him ultimately a bad person that she would rather cut out of her life than have in it.

Being a lovely dad doesnt mean you dont deserve welfare or charity though and this new information only really goes to show that we SHOULD be helping these people MORE to break the cycle.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A good article on the NSW amalgamations and Westconnex

https://medium.com/@bitcloud/from-baird-to-worse-b415189c320a#.eo4zpafal

quote:

As Australians we enjoy hard won freedoms. Every year on Anzac Day we’re reminded of the Australians who fought and died so that we might have a voice, a vote, and be able to live in peace without worry that our liberty, our property or our homes might be taken from us by force.
For many of us, this just changed.
I’ll explain how, but first a little backstory. The last few months have been busy for Mike Baird. In March this year, Baird announced tough new laws banning the right to protest development, with fines of up to $5500, as well as warrant-less searches and seizures.
Later that month, in a move blasted by civil rights group, Baird announced a set of draconian new laws to be put into place that will allow anyone to be locked up for 14 days without charge, including children as young as 15. That’s anyone, plucked off the street with no charge, and held captive for 14 days.
While a clear violation of civil liberties, it seemed like nothing more than a directionless power grab, but why now? What could be coming up that would require such a comprehensive plan to squash protesters and detain without charge?
$15 billion dollars.
That’s the price tag of Australia’s largest ever transportation development, Westconnex. Foreign investors and contractors all have their hands out ready for a slice of the pie, but what has former investment banker, and current NSW Premier Mike Baird got to do with this?
First, let’s first take a look at Westconnex.

WestConnex. Building for the future whether you like it or not.
This proposed private NSW transportation project would see highways and tunnels carved, in three stages, through Paramatta, The Inner West and out through Georges River & surrounds. A development like any other, you might think.
But here’s where it gets interesting. This week, with the pressure to cancel Westconnex rising, Baird unexpectedly announced that 43 Councils in Sydney were to be dismantled. Elected officials out and administrators in. That’s 43 elected councils, 43 Mayors who were thrown on the street.
But surely this is just a merger? Won’t we elect a new council?
Not quite. The mergers have taken place at a crucial time in WestConnex’ approval process. Many councils have blocked approval due to concerns from their constituents. Those councils have been removed, and there is no opportunity for a challenge to these councils until elections in September.
In areas such as Paramatta and the surrounds there are a combination of Labor, Liberal and Independent Mayors and Councillors. These Councillors were all fired and a Liberal Party “Administrator” was installed. In Paramatta for example, The Liberal Party’s Amanda Chadwick has this week taken over the role, providing an uncontested path through much of Westconnex Stage 1.
Mike Baird has this morning sacked me as the Mayor of Leichhardt and abolished Leichhardt Council… stand with us and fight against Baird and his dictator.
 — Darcy Byrne, Mayor of Leichhardt
In areas like the Inner West, it gets even more interesting. Independent Mayor of Marrickville, Victor Macri was one of the most vocal critics of Westconnex. This week he was unceremoniously removed from office, and in his place Baird installed Westconnex’ own, Richard Pearson — a high level staffer from Westconnex’ Department of Planning and Infrastructure. It probably doesn’t need to be mentioned that opposition to Stage 3 will be silenced, allowing this proposal to pass as if by dictatorial decree.
Let me repeat this. The elected Mayor of Marrickville was removed after blocking Westconnex, and replaced with an unelected high level Westconnex staffer.
ENHANCE.
The rot doesn’t stop there. When you take the WestConnex Maps, and you overlay them with the new Council zoning maps something striking happens.
The new zonings for all three stages have been set up to border the proposed Westconnex routes accurately. The maps line up. Relevant zones are now controlled directly by Baird’s own council dictators with the exception of court contested regions.

“Where are we now” according to Westconnex. Waiting on Council approval, but not for much longer.
So what happens next?
Already people are being evicted for refusing to accept the purchase price on their property. It was revealed this week that properties all along the Westconnex route were secretly undervalued, with a $100,000 report being hidden from the public. The valuation of this land theft is in the millions, with many people being left drastically out of pocket.

Protestor Bill Holliday refusing to leave a home in Haberfield due to be demolished for WestConnex. Photo: Supplied
This leaves many questions for the future. Can the people protest? Will the protest laws be used against them? Can the people plan demonstrations? Are protesters at risk of being searched without warrant, or detained for 14 days without charge? Will people be detained for periods long enough to pass laws crucial to pushing Westconnex past a public that doesn’t want it?
Can the people even contact their elected Councillors? Not until they actually get elected Councillors in September, by which time it will be too late.
With 43 ousted mayors, hundreds of undermined Councillors and millions of citizens denied representation on the local level you can be certain that this isn’t a story that’s going to conveniently fade into the background any time soon. The curtains are open and with a little digging hopefully every speck of the rot and corruption that is the Baird Government will come to light.
Australians have fought and died for the kind of freedoms that are being dismantled by Baird as we speak. I can’t imagine we’re going to sit back while those freedoms are traded for foreign profits.
There is, of course, a protest at Town Hall, Sunday 29th May at 1:30pm.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The ANZAC bit definitely felt out of place but it is an interesting point to consider how glorified the ANZAC spirit is in our culture and how people are continually OK with politicians stripping away more freedoms than the Turks or the Germans ever would have.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The article does mention that the houses were purposefully undervalued in the range of 100K.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anidav we already have Carls Jnr. its on the Central Coast in Wyong.

They havea queue out the door every day and traffic management for the drive thru.

it wasnt even that good.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

No less than three times a day in my office when the inevitable election discussion arises, I hear "they are just as bad as the other, I wish there was another party to vote for"

Yeah, imagine if there was a third option, that wasnt like the other two! they could even have their own colour, say, green?

Laserface fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Big Willy Style posted:

Green isn't a primary colour

and it'll never be a government forming colour either.

• Locked thread