Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How long does the average 10-12 person dynasty draft take?

(The first draft of a new dynasty league I mean, not the yearly rookie draft)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Where should I look for strategies on how to do a first year Dynasty draft? My normal re-draft league is going to also do everyone's first dynasty league this year, and I'd like to try to take advantage of our lack of knowledge.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I assume most people will bring some sort of dynasty based rankings. Is there anything like "Ignore all older players and load up on young lottery tickets, etc" that would give me some strategy beyond trying to land the most valuable player possible with each pick?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated! I'm excited!

Is there an agreed up "default" set of dynasty league rules? Auction would be the preferred draft type, correct? What about salary caps, penalties for keeping players multiple years, etc.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Please do a write-up if you don't mind. I'd love to hear your reasoning, and like you said: it's Friday, and dynasty fantasy football is the poo poo.

Question: What does "taxi squad" mean?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 13, 2016

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

(Just catching up to the thread but) I've been saying for two or three years that Reuben Randle was worth owning in most leagues and I always got shouted down by Giants homers yelling about his terrible rout running. That's fine, I've enjoyed winning games with his fantasy points.

In 1ppr ESPN standard he averaged over 11 points a game last year, putting him at #32 among wideouts, making him a solid matchup/flex option. In our 14 team league I was often the only one interested in owning him. It's bizarre.

Sterling Shepard, my man.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Why do my keepers always get suspended :(

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

:siren:Keeper Question!:siren:

Looking to get some opinions on who to keep this year. I'm allowed to keep (2) TWO players. They are available to be kept in whatever round they were drafted in. Here's my best options:
(1QB/2RB/3WR/FLEX/TE/K/DEF - Non-ppr standard scoring)

LeVeon Bell - 3rd
Jordy Nelson - 15th
Kelvin Benjamin - 16th
CJ Anderson - 18th
Josh Gordon - 18th

I also sold off a few players last year so I have an extra 4th round pick, two extra 6th round picks, and an extra 11th round pick this year.

I'm leaning towards keeping LeVeon and Jordy, but I can probably make a case for LeVeon/CJ, Jordy/Kelvin, Jordy/CJ, Kelvin/CJ.

Thoughts?

(I am also in talks about trading Kelvin Benjamin for a 6th round pick to a team with poor keeper options. This would give me FOUR! 6th round picks this year :getin:)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is tough. Do you keep them in that spot in perpetuity? Nelson is good value but I worry about the long term. Keeping Bell seems smart.

Two year max on keepers, then they have to be released back into the pool. I kept Bell and Anderson last year, so if I keep them again this year, I have to let them go the following season.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would still keep Bell, unless you have the first overall pick or that suspension goes through. When do you need to decide?

Around August 20th (don't have an exact date yet).

I think Bell and Jordy is my best bet.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I had to choose between trading Jordy or Kelvin this offseason. (Can keep either in the 15th). Hope this means I made the right choice.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Let's compile a list of sleeper targets!

Funchess
Aiken
Coates
Sterling Shepard
Josh Gordon

Who else?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Assuming Le'Veon Bell's appeal doesn't go well, and he remains suspended for the first four games, would you rather keep:

Le'Veon Bell in the 3rd

OR

CJ Anderson in the 18th

At first I was sure I would go with Bell, but now I'm wavering.

No matter which one I keep this year, they will go back in the pool next year.

Standard scoring, non-ppr.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Well I've prepared several rankings sheets for my buddy in prison. He's stoked for the season to be back and says it's one of the few things that keeps his mind occupied on the inside.

That's pretty cool. How does that work? Do they do a draft on the inside or does he tell you who to draft for him? I want more info!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

It actually took us a couple weeks to hash out the best method, and it's pretty funny. Basically half the league or more is signing up for a prisoner calling service called pigeon.ly (what a great name for prison communication!). The service provides the inmate with 60 minutes per person of calling time monthly. He's been rationing his time between me and two other members (we're his go to calls for commissary scratch and outside info). Come draft day he's going to hang out by the phones all day (it's a line, once he hangs up he has to go to the back of the line), he'll try to pace it so he gets close to his draft pick, call one of us and hang out on the phone until his pick or make the pick quickly and hang up. He only gets 15 minutes per call though so he can't be too early or too late. He can't switch between email and phone since they are in different parts of the facility or else we'd email him 3-4 picks before his so he had time to get in line and make the call.

We've all agreed to pause the draft when it gets to him if he hasn't called us.

This is awesome. You are good friends.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

With LeVeon only missing 3 games now do I keep him in the 3rd or CJ Anderson in the 18th? Non ppr and neither can be kept after this year.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

wrl posted:

Question about a keeper league.

Someone drops a player prior to week 16 2015 and the player gets picked up off of waivers Wednesday after the finals. If rules regarding off season pickups were not firmly established, is this a valid pickup for keeping or not?

If there's no rule against it, then of course it's valid. That's what rules are for.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I decided to go against the conventional wisdom of the thread and kept LeVeon Bell in the 3rd, instead of CJ Anderson in the 18th.

I know the value of CJ Anderson in the 18th is better than LeVeon in the 3rd, but I had to take the sure thing on a great offense, rather than an average RB in one of the worst offenses in the league. I just can't take a season of defenses lining up 9 men in the box against Denver constantly.

Someone tell me I'm not an idiot.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

dy. posted:

I would have done the same thing, especially if you believe your roster is at a "win now" point. Yes, CJ is a better value, but you are guaranteeing yourself elite talent for at least this season with LeVeon Bell.

Exactly my thinking. I'm glad someone agrees. I'm keeping LeVeon in the 3rd and Jordy Nelson in the 15th. I am also pretty stacked with draft picks. I have an extra 4th rounder, THREE extra 6th rounders, and an extra 11th rounder. I'm going for the gold this year!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Jordan Matthews is terrible.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm big on Charles this year as well. Barring an injury I think he will do great, as usual.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Beersheets get updated tomorrow right? Just wondering if I should print them out now for my draft on Sunday or wait until tomorrow?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I've got my two $100 leagues both drafting on Sunday. One at 1pm and one at 5pm. My only concern is how drunk I will be by the time the second draft rolls around. Either way, my body is ready. It's fantasy season boys!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Papes posted:

Save your 6th round pick and get another wr or te. Moncrief and djax might be there depending on league.

I was about to say this. Don't take a QB that early.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Forever_Peace posted:

How many WRs are you starting that you need Cobb and Tate as 5 and 6?

Cobb or Tate would be his 3rd WR. It's tough to have 5 or 6 WR's by the 3rd round.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ben Nevis posted:

Regarding draft strategy, how do you drink during the draft? For my two longest draft (14 team auction and 12 team deep keeper) I tend to go for a bomber follow by cans. I tend to stick towards lighter beers since it's August. I feel this is a pretty typical draft strategy. And on the whole it's a good system, leaving me willing to make a few risky plays as the draft goes on while still being fairly coherent by the end. This year I'm starting with a 7.5 and dropping to a 5.2. How do you mix it up? I feel like a heavier beer might balls it up a bit. Does anyone do cocktails? Is it worth bringing a high alcohol beer and sharing around to try and get a leg up, sobriety wise?

One of my leagues is all old friends from high school. We do the draft at a friends backyard in a pool. Everyone floats around on inner tubes and drinks. It's encouraged to splash water all over people's sheets to gently caress with them. It's actually a hell of a lot of fun. We drink pretty hard though. Multiple shots and shotgunning beers are not uncommon. Unfortunately this year we have our draft at noon on Sunday, and I have another $100 league drafting at 5pm the same day. I have a feeling I wont draft so well in that second league.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I drafted Matt Jones and my league laughed at me saying he's injured. How worried should I be. News seems to say he should be ready by week 1.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Well, he's probably going to be back at worst a week or two into the season, and possible for week 1 yeah, but he's also bad.

Ehh a starting RB for a 11th round pick or whenever I got him isn't too much of a risk for me.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I have a "Who do I drop" question. I never draft Defense, Kicker, or Defensive players, so I'm going to have to drop 4 guys from my bench in order to fill the DEF, K, Defensive Player, and Defensive Back positions before week 1. I'd like some advice as to who I should drop.

My team:
QB- Wilson
RB- Bell (K)
RB- Elliot
WR- Nelson (K)
WR- Watkins
WR- Tate
FLEX- Langford
TE- Ertz
B- John Brown
B- DeAngelo Williams
B- Marvin Jones
B- Matt Jones
B- Sterling Shepard
B- Emannuel Sanders
B- Bilal Powell
B- Devin Funchess
B- Willie Snead
B- Deandre Washington

My last 4 picks were Powell, Funchess, Snead, and Washington so I'm leaning towards dropping them.

*Note* Due to trades, my last pick out of an 18th round draft was round 12 - So I should probably look at packaging some or all of these 4 players for a pick or player in return right? I know they will probably get scooped off waivers immediately

Thoughts? Also if ya'll wanna rate my team go ahead even though this isn't the thread for that :)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cervixalot posted:

Tate and Marvin Jones are going to be maddening to own and sit/start, especially early on.

Yeah, I definitely foresee this being very gut-wrenching. Oh well, what are you gonna do. There's a lot of value there if one of them gets the clear cut WR1 job.

RVProfootballer posted:

Hmm, this is a bit painful. All accounts have Funchess tearing it up, but I'm not sure you have a better candidate to drop. Packaging up two or three for one deals to upgrade is ideal. I'd also kinda hate to drop season-long potentially useful players rather than Deangelo Williams, but I'd also hate to give another team three weeks of RB1 production. Tough.

I'm talking to a few people regarding trades. Hopefully I can put something together.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Boosh! posted:

How early are you fellas reaching for Josh Gordon? My gameplan right now is to try and nab him in the 6th (12 man snake, picking 8th).

He went in the 6th and 7th round in both of my 10 man non-ppr drafts this weekend. I personally think that's way too soon, but the upside is certainly there.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Everyone knows this is the year Christine Michael goes to the pro-bowl.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

coronaball posted:

Holy poo poo don't keep a TE when you could keep Rodgers in a 2 QB 6 pt TD league.

This a thousand times.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Wasn't thrilled with the way this draft ended up... Thoughts?

There's a rate your team thread, but since you already posted this here I'll comment.

You have the top rated QB in the league. There was no reason for you to draft another QB. That roster spot should be used on RB/WR depth. In your case, running back depth. After going WR/WR, you should have focused more on bolstering RB depth instead of the multiple WR's you took in the middle rounds. Overall the team is solid. I especially like being able to roll out Green and Robinson every week. Focus on getting some solid RB backups. Maybe package Winston and a WR in a deal for one.

On another note, this Charles news sucks. He better return to form soon or my 2nd round pick is going to look real bad.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

There was just no RB I was thrilled to take when I grabbed Winston...

Understandable, but Winston is basically a wasted roster spot now. You will never start him over Cam in any circumstance (barring an injury to Cam obviously). So basically you are down a bench spot an entire year just so you can plug Winston in on Cam's bye week. You'd get a ton more value having any RB/WR lottery ticket in that slot, rather than the extra 5 points or so Winston will get compared to whatever waiver wire QB you could have streamed on Cam's bye week.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Marshall/Miller easily.

This.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What are the chances all this Jamaal Charles news is nonsense and he starts week 1? I'm just going to blindly believe that as an Charles owner who doesn't have Ware.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

RCarr posted:

I have a "Who do I drop" question. I never draft Defense, Kicker, or Defensive players, so I'm going to have to drop 4 guys from my bench in order to fill the DEF, K, Defensive Player, and Defensive Back positions before week 1. I'd like some advice as to who I should drop.

My team:
QB- Wilson
RB- Bell (K)
RB- Elliot
WR- Nelson (K)
WR- Watkins
WR- Tate
FLEX- Langford
TE- Ertz
B- John Brown
B- DeAngelo Williams
B- Marvin Jones
B- Matt Jones
B- Sterling Shepard
B- Emannuel Sanders
B- Bilal Powell
B- Devin Funchess
B- Willie Snead
B- Deandre Washington

My last 4 picks were Powell, Funchess, Snead, and Washington so I'm leaning towards dropping them.

*Note* Due to trades, my last pick out of an 18th round draft was round 12 - So I should probably look at packaging some or all of these 4 players for a pick or player in return right? I know they will probably get scooped off waivers immediately

Thoughts? Also if ya'll wanna rate my team go ahead even though this isn't the thread for that :)

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

So I have since traded Tate+Powell for 2017 5th round pick, and Deandre Washington for a 2017 15th round pick. (I was able to pick up Rams DEF, Vinatieri, and NaVorro Bowman) I have to trade or drop one more player to make room for my Defensive Back slot. Who's the least valuable to me between these guys?

B- Matt Jones
B- Sterling Shepard
B- Emannuel Sanders
B- Devin Funchess
B- Willie Snead

I'm leaning Snead. Thoughts?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Any reason to grab Forsett if he was dropped? Is he expected to be resigned? I'd probably be dropping Michael Thomas or Rishad Matthews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

Also, are people still high on Ertz?

As an Ertz owner, I'd like to know this as well. Seems like Bradford leaving really hurts his value. Should I drop him for one of the TE's sitting on waivers? Dwayne Allen, Martellus Bennett, Tyler Eifert, Jimmy Graham, Zach Miller, Vance McDonald are all available. (Non-ppr)

• Locked thread