Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Barring some weird offseason bullshit, I don't know how AB84 isn't a unanimous #1 overall in redraft, especially PPR. He dropped to me at 8 last year in a 12-team 0.5PPR which will never happen again.

What exactly is a slow draft? I would be interested in doing some mocks, which is the best site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I have been doing ESPN for the money league I commission with friends and it has worked out pretty well so far.

The one exception and it is fairly annoying is the lack of customization options on scoring. I really want to change defensive scoring to not be penalized when the offense gives up a TD which isn't possible in ESPN.

A league member suggested yahoo and I don't know much about it. The biggest problem I have is losing the 2 years of history (only 2 years I know) but if it's better in the long run I'll do it.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

What do you guys think of Tyler Eifert this year? I got lucky enough last year to pick him up in Round 11 or 12 last year so obviously got a huge amount of value out of him.

The biggest question I think is if he can maintain his TD numbers since his receptions/yardage totals weren't anything special. I want to say he will regress from 13 TD's last year, but let's look at the situation. The only other red-zone receiving threat on the team is AJ Green, and despite Eifert nabbing 13 TD's, Green still had 10 (only 1 less than his season-high), so I don't see that being cause for concern.

The other real unknown is if losing Sanu and Jones will open up more targets (and hence more receptions and yardage) for Eifert. I think it's reasonable to think they will go up since the Bengals did not pick up a WR in free agency, although they did grab one in the 2nd round.

Looking at TE's other than Gronk, Olsen is certainly at the top but I have to think his numbers go down slightly next year with Benjamin back in the mix. He also is not nearly the same red-zone threat as Eifert, given how often Cam/JStew run the ball in. I think that in the league I am in, even though there is decent competition, TE's are usually drafted on name recognition. I can see Reed and Walker slipping to the 6th+ where I think I can get good value. I know there is injury risk with Reed but the dude looked incredible last year and made some amazing plays and finished as the #2 TE in Standard playing only 14 games.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Well Eifert's going under the knife today so might want to see how he's recovering in a month or two.

e: I think he'll be healthy, and probably end up somewhere on the TE 2-5 rank.

Yah literally a minute after posting that, I saw he was going in for surgery. Hopefully he will be good for the season.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Reed is going to be outscored by at least three non-Gronk TEs. Walker, Olsen, Eifert, random guy we've never heard of, Ertz, Kelce, Green, Jimmy Graham's ghost, etc etc. TE is a shitshow, don't reach for Reed after he's had one healthy, contract year season.

Also did I miss something, or just more Rotoworld flavor?

Its true, he went down at least 2 rounds in my book when he tweeted that it was a good day when Creed's Greatest Hits was played during workouts.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I am definitely not trying to reach for Reed, and I don't think I was suggesting that by saying I would consider him at 6+. In my league, I would probably try for him around 8-9 because I think he will drop due to him not being a big name. I can't expect to get Tyler Eifert in the 12th value this year so I am looking at other options for stable TE play in the later rounds.

I actually think Delanie Walker would be a good pick around the same rounds as I as thinking for Reed.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 25, 2016

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Spoeank posted:

Jordan Reed's ADP in the last two weeks is round 4, Delanie round 6. There are plenty of value TEs though..

ASJ, Ebron, Ertz, Bennett are all double digit round ADPs since May 10.

You also have potential deep dive guys like Tye and Walford that are virtually undrafted.

Holy poo poo I thought his ADP was late 5th (he would drop in my league I think as well). Ebron I could see being worth a late round shot with Megatron gone, but he didn't look particularly good last year. ASJ is also a pretty solid late rounder, he just has very little to show in the last two years despite his obvious talent. I really don't like Ertz as he doesn't really see the targets to be consistent and I really don't know what to think of Bennett in New England. I think he will be effective, but he will still be the 3rd option behind Gronk/Edelman, with the added benefit of being in 2-TE sets in the red zone. I just feel like Bennett is the guy that has a really low floor and only a marginal ceiling.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Well, Parker's pace for the last 6 games, when he was presumably healthy, was 60-1200-8. Small sample size and seems like that might've been due to a few big plays (60 receptions would be super low for that yardage and TDs, no?), but he's got the draft pedigree. I just don't know whether I can trust Parker to start taking over more of the target share from Landry. I have no sense for how Gase's offense is supposed to pan out, except that people say it's good for Parker's value.

Yah I have a lot of doubts if that is sustainable over a season for Parker because that would be 20yds/reception. That would put him right there with Desean Jackson & Mike Wallace's BEST seasons. Not saying he doesn't have the potential but I wouldn't bet on that type of productivity next season.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I am going to have a real hard time outdoing my idea last year for selecting draft order in my 12-team re-draft league. I had everyone select a character from N64 Smash Brothers, made a bracket, and then assigned everyone a level 9 computer of their character, turned all items on high, and then let the computers go at it. A little more than half the league was able to attend and we were screaming at the AI characters for a good 45 minutes, rooting and disparaging them much like we would our fantasy players.

I am trying to find something that would be equally fair (the fights are so random, it barely matters what character you pick), interactive, with the possibility to participate remotely. If I can't think of anything, I might just go with the same idea since it went so well last year. Anyone have any cool draft order challenges?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

In looking at the first Beersheet, I wanted to take a deeper look at the top 10 RB's (included Doug Martin at 11) and re-rank them according to my own preference with a bit of reasoning. I will also try to highlight whether I would pick them at their current ADP given the rankings. I feel like RB is the position where I have the most uncertainty so please feel free to pick apart my rankings. I'll do 10-20 later when I have some more time.

Beersheet's Rankings - (My Ranking) - Player - Explanation

1. (1) Le'Veon Bell - I agree that Bell is the best fantasy back in the league, but I don' think I would draft him unless AB84, OBJ, and Julio were off the board. I might even consider Hopkins over him.
2. (7) David Johnson - Johnson looked great running last year when CJ2K went down, but I am extremely hesitant to blow a first round pick on a 6-game sample size with 1 huge outlier game against a poo poo run defense.
3. (8) Todd Gurley - Gurley is amazing but it worries me how much he was shut down towards the end of last year. I don't know that getting a rookie QB and still having 0 receiving options of note will help his case much.
4. (3) Devonta Freeman - He probably can't keep up that TD production but ignoring his rushing, he had 73 catches on 97 targets last year which was second only to Danny Woodhead. I think he will have a good year but will also be drafted too high.
5. (2) Adrian Peterson - I'll believe AP is going to fall off when I actually see it happen and probably not before then barring massive injury. I don't like rooting for him at all though.
6. (10) Ezekiel Elliott - It's hard to know what he will do next year but one thing is for sure, he will be drafted way above where he should be. With all of the unknowns, I wouldn't feel comfortable drafting him until the 4th.
7. (5) Jamaal Charles - Still one of the most dynamic backs in the league but injury risk is definitely a concern along with the emergence of West/Ware.
8. (4) Lamar Miller - I'm a huge Lamar Miller fan as he has helped me reach the championship the last 2 years in my league (winning one) despite criminal underuse by Miami. He has been begging for the chance to be a featured back and like the Texans, I am willing to give him that chance. I think getting him in the mid-late 2nd is incredible value. Hell, that's where I drafted him last year (probably a reach) and I think his situation is much better now.
9. (11) Mark Ingram - I had Ingram last year and he had a really solid floor each week, but never did anything flashy. A late 3rd round wouldn't be a bad option, but I might opt to see if he drops to the 4th.
10. (9) LeSean McCoy - Injury kept him out of 4 games last year, but extrapolating his performance to those 4 games, he would have hit 1200yds rushing and easily made the top 5 in standard. The Bills run the ball a lot and I don't see that changing.
11. (6) Doug Martin - Call me crazy but I think I am ready to trust in the Muscle Ham...oh whoops I mean Dougernaut. His game log from last year is really impressive, as is the fact that he finished 3rd in standard with a relatively low TD total compared to the other top RB's. I would probably take him in the 3rd and be happy about it.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 26, 2016

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm mostly on board with this, but think you're way too low on Ingram. He was on pace for something like 1600 total yards, 65-70 catches, and 8 TDs. TDs are a bit low for a bellcow, but overall those are some great numbers and he put them up for 3/4 of a season. Would've been top 3 RB for a full season in full PPR, wouldn't it?

You are absolutely right that I have Ingram valued too low. He quietly put up amazing totals despite having only 2 games where he scored 17+ points. That is a really consistent level of performance from game to game. Probably should be closer to 6-7 on my list.

After looking at FP's rankings, I think I probably have Devonta Freeman ranked way too high, but I think 15 is pretty low, especially in full PPR where he had the 2nd highest receptions for an RB this season. Any particular reason you are so down on Freeman? I know last year was his first good year, but it was really loving good.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Forever_Peace posted:

Mostly because I think it'll be a timeshare. It's likely that Coleman is the better runner. I'll be targeting him late in all my drafts. Hopefully the receptions will still give Freeman a solid floor, though.

I guess the question I have is, does it matter that Coleman may be the better runner? As a coach in the NFL, looking at the season Freeman had last year, I can't see a reason not to let that play out. The Falcons offense last year was honestly really weird. Who would have though they would have torn poo poo up in the run game, while really struggling to score in the red zone with anyone other than Freeman. I still don't know how Julio had such a great season when the Falcons passing offense looked like dogshit at times. Definitely a testament to his ability to fight through double coverage to make plays. I really don't have much hope for Sanu drawing coverage off of Julio, but its at least intriguing in the new offense.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Forever_Peace posted:

Yeah 200 carries is maybe where I think the soft cap is. Maybe only a 5-15% chance of surpassing that in a season where both backs stay healthy.

Atlanta ran the ball a bit over 26 times per game during the regular season last year.
Coleman hits 200 carries if he shoulders only about 48% of that rushing load.
He hits 175 carries with 42% of that load.
He hits 150 with 36% of that load.

35-50% of the ground game seems like a reasonable range for Coleman to me.

For reference, the Hill/Gio split was 48%/32% (the rest was mostly the QBs - portion of running back load is close to 55%/39%), with Gio also taking a lot of the passing-down work.

I think the Hill/Gio split is about the most optimistic scenario for Coleman. Freeman is the better pass-catcher, so I don't think Coleman is stealing any passing-down work.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Dandy Kaiser posted:

My friend is adamant that David Johnson is RB1 over LVB which I think is p funny but isn't necessarily anything more than a difference of preference, but when he says that he'd take him at 1.1 I'm like :psyduck:

I would say that thinking David Johnson is better than LVB is way more than a difference of preference and is actually borderline crazy. Johnson has started 6 NFL games and while yes he looked great, his stats are really padded by the monstrosity of a game he had against the worst run defense in the NFL. I think he will be a great RB but don't make the mistake of extrapolating 6 games across an entire season. I would definitely take him in the second, i just think he isn't a sure enough thing for a first rounder.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Tiptoes posted:

I'm all about taking the guy YOU want in the first above all so I can't blame a dude if he decides that's David Johnson this year. LVB's injuries worry me at this point. I'm leaning Todd Gurley as my RB1. He's a legitimately special talent as a runner and this offseason he gets to work out instead of recover from ACL surgery. I think that'll make a difference for year two. And Fisher is such a conservative coach too so his workload should be pretty consistent.

I mean if he is in your league I would encourage him to take HIS GUY if his guy is a huge reach where he's drafting. Otherwise you can absolutely blame him and ridicule him for making an extremely risky first round selection.

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I mean, I agree with you wholeheartedly, but I also agree with Tiptoes, so I can't really hate on him for ranking DJ over LVB even if It's Wrong, but I just think that the idea that either of them (it's LVB) is even remotely close to worth being picked over AB/OBJ/Julio (he's not) is loving ludicrous

Absolutlely agree that I would take any of those 3 WRs before I take a single RB and I might even consider Hopkins.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Tiptoes posted:

It's "extremely risky" to you but David Johnson is a top ten pick this year. Taking him in the top five or top three really isn't that much of a reach.

Being a top-10 pick based on your ADP does not make you worth that pick. Do we need to remember what happened to CJA last year when he was a top-10 pick? If anyone can explain to me why DJ is actually WORTH a top-10 pick, and not just say that's where his ADP is, I would love to hear it.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a valid question. I think his high ADP is a reflection of the uncertainty of the RB position. He is one of the few players to have a high chance of being an actual bellcow in a high tempo offense, and when he was finally given the starting role last year he performed at an extremely high level. He averaged 4.6 YPC over 125 carries and in spite of getting single digit carries for the first 12 Weeks he ended up as the RB7 in standard scoring. A significant portion of that performance was through the air; nearly half of his yards and a third of his touchdowns were receptions. All offseason signs are that he'll have an ever greater role to play in Arizona's offense, and with little in the way of competition there isn't much to hurt his floor of a RB1.

Other RBs are just as unproven. Bell was severely injured (again), Gurley had a solid season but who knows about the sophomore slump and the situation in LA, Freeman has Coleman as competition, Peterson is old, Elliott is a rookie, Charles is coming off of injury, and Miller is on a new team. So his first round grade is a combination of high performance, great opportunity, and a lack of elite prospects.

Thank you for this, it certainly helps explain his ADP a bit better and I don't disagree there are a lot of things to love about him. But I think you hot the nail on the head with RB being so uncertain and that is precisely the reason I am not going to spend a high pick on an RB if I can help it. I think Miller/Ingram/Martin are much safer picks at their ADP.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Hyde is going to run his rear end off, but there's this massive question at QB. And WR. If San Francisco has nothing but Carlos Hyde as an offense, that makes things very easy for defenders. Add in the general quality of defenses in the NFC West, and that puts potential limits on what Hyde will be able to do.

Of course there's also huge upside. If Chip can turn Kaep back into a dynamic read option quarterback who spreads defenses and can take off running and etc. etc. then Hyde could wind up in the top five easily for fantasy RBs. But I think the risk puts him at more of a second to third round pick, behind all of the guys Beer just mentioned. Not far behind them, but I'd take any of Bell, Gurley, AP, Charles, Miller, and Johnson ahead of Hyde, and I'd probably throw in Elliot too, maybe (although I'm much more skeptical of rookies in general these days so maybe not).

I would easily take Ingram, Martin, and McCoy over Hyde as well for most of the reasons you stated. There is upside for sure but I would not take Hyde until 3rd round at the earliest. Also I live in CA and most of my friends are 49ers fans so Hyde will likely get overdrafted due to rampant homerism (don't care if this is a word).

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Ingram scares me. His injury history is extremely high and if history is any indicator he'll miss around 4 games. I would gladly take Martin over him, and with respect to ADP it's pretty easy to do.

I did some research into Ingram's injury history and here is what I found.

2010 - Knee Sprain caused him to miss OTA's as a rookie. Had surgery and missed one game.
2011 - Turf Toe. Underwent surgery and missed last 3 games of season.
2012 - Healthy
2013 - Turf Toe. Missed 5 games in the beginning of the season.
2014 - Fractured Hand. Missed 5 games.
2015 - Shoulder injury, underwent surgery. Missed 5 games.

After 2013, I would have been concerned about re-occurring turf toe, but since then he hasn't dealt with that injury. A hand fracture and shoulder injury in the next two years don't really point to him being "injury prone" as those seem to be random injuries that can happen to pretty much any RB. I do understand the hesitation when you see that he has only had one full healthy year, but I think I am willing to look past that since the injuries weren't really serious (like ACL/MCL, etc.) and haven't shown that they are repeating.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Great article. Pretty much agree with everything you mentioned and I like ASJ and Ebron in the late rounds.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Tiptoes posted:

Fair enough. I'm content to agree to disagree. My gut instinct is just that ASJ could be a trap player this year. Like it's easy to default to the predraft narrative he had hyping him last year and I think the Bucs passing game is going to shake a little differently as people are underrating some of their role players. Think they'll be more of a productive regular football than a predictable fantasy group outside of Evans and the RBs.

How can you call someone currently going in the 12th+ round a "trap player". If a late round selection like that puts up even mediocre numbers, it was a good selection. Just curious, what TE's do you like this year?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Tiptoes posted:

Maybe "avoiding" was the wrong word. I just don't view them as any better than streaming options so why leave a draft with one of them is my line of thinking. I don't see a reason to roster Witten with him as old as he is and as run-heavy as the Cowboys want to be this season. And Ebron... Ebron is a dude who needs to get much better at football before I'll seriously see him as a sleeper. He is not a player who consistently executes on his assignments and I'm not sure at this point if that's going to change this year and cause his role to grow. If I hear news otherwise, I'll re-consider him but he needs work as a player, not just a target void in the passing game.

Re: Clay
I just think he's an underrated player. He's a well-rounded TE. Dealt with injuries last year but he's still a good passcatcher. And entering 2016, the Bills still don't have many targets in the passing game. Watkins is recovering from foot surgery and Robert Woods isn't one of the better #2s in the league. Rex and his staff wanted Clay on this team so I think they could view him as an underutilized asset going into this second year and he could become a bigger factor in the passing game. Not one of my favorite late round targets, but I do think he could surprise this year.

Re: Bennett
As a Pats fan looking at their offense, I could easily see Bennett carving out a sizeable role. Gronk is the obvious top dog but Edelman/Amendola are both recovering from surgeries this offseason. Their WR corps is basically just them plus Chris Hogan rotating around while a rookie, Malcolm Mitchell, breaks in as the X receiver. Basically I think Dion Lewis and Bennett will be the next options where Brady gets creative in terms of creating one-on-one mismatches anywhere he wants. And Bennett is the healthiest of the group outside of Gronk right now. Back in 2011 when the Pats had Gronk and Hernandez, they ended the year as TE1 and TE3 (in 14 games) and ran two TE sets I think it was 55% of the time. The Pats are still going to run two TE sets probably something like 45% of the time this year so I think there's plenty of room for Bennett to get his numbers. Doesn't have to be TE3 but TE6-8 wouldn't surprise me. And then if Edelman gets hurt, his role in the middle of the field ought to increase. If Gronk gets hurt, his value skyrockets to every week top three play.

How many teams in your league? Because at 12-teams, streaming TE's does not seem to be a viable option at all. The quality of TE that you are getting off of the waiver wire is so unpredictable that I don't see why taking a guy in the 12th is so egregious when he has a legit chance to be a weekly starter at a fungible position. Unless you are playing in a really competitive league, there are at least 2-3 owners (likely more) who will roster or even draft multiple Tight Ends for whatever reason, making the field of players even smaller.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Spoeank posted:

Anywho, I'm about to write an article that's basically FF for newbies (the site I write for is primarily a lifestyle site). I'm thinking:

- K/DST late
- stream QBs or get 2 of the QB 10 - 15 range (QBs would be how I would explain VBD)
- handcuffs
- importance of RBs
- what is PPR?

Anything else I might be overlooking? I'm pretty much the fantasy football guy so I have no one to bounce anything off of there that's of any value.

Probably would want a section on the different waiver wire systems and how they work. A couple do's and don'ts for trading with other owners would be helpful as well such as:

-Generally don't want to do a straight up trade at the same position (RB for RB, WR for WR)
-Packaging a starter + bench player for an upgrade at the starter position

Tagging onto the last point, I would also point out the importance of depth at the RB/WR position. Injuries will happen and depth is your insurance policy.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Unless you're getting the better player...

I mean...yes, if someone is willing to give up the better RB in exchange for your RB, do it. But I feel like this never happens and for the most part, no one is interested in even looking at a trade that is a 1:1 same-position trade. In terms of suggestions for a new person looking at making trades, I would recommend packaging players to upgrade a position or preying on an opposing owner's weak spots and lowballing them.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I'm curious as to what everyone thinks about Dez Bryant this year. He had X-rays on his foot and still isn't cleared to participate fully in OTAs. Also Tony Romo is made out of dust and I don't think the Cowboys have done anything to address their backup QB situation. He is obviously incredibly talented but there are so many question marks that I think I might leave him off my board unless he takes a nosedive in adp.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Okay we need some action in this thread so here are a few "sleepers" or guys who will be under-drafted that I have been considering far too early.

1. Allen Hurns - I actually don't see his production as a #2 regressing that much next year. I think the Jags have something special with the Allens and Hurns will continue to produce as at least a WR3 for a pick in the 6th or later.
2. Mark Ingram - He will likely go higher in competitive leagues but as a fellow poster pointed out to me, I completely undervalued him in my initial projections. It's easy to do when his numbers are more consistent than flashy.
3. Devante Parker - He finished out the season with some stellar numbers and with the departure of Matthews, he is definitely the #2 receiving option and has a chance to break out this year when defenses focus on Landry.
4. Marvin Jones - He is a receiver I will target at 10+ because I think the risk is worth the reward. He has shown flashes of great play and is going into an offense where the #1 receiver has exited. I am absolutely not saying he can fill Megatron's shoes, but his only competition is Tate and Ebron so the potential is there.
5. Austin Sefarian Jenkins - Loved Spoeank''s post on Tight End and i will be hitting the late round flier group like I did with Eifert last year
6. Eric Ebron - Same reasons as Jones in terms of opportunity, saw a lot of red zone targets and hopefully he continues to develop
7. Alfred Morris - I feel like he will be a TD vulture in the Cowboys offense and has the potential to carry a decent burden of the carries if Dallas decides to ease in Elliott. 10+ pick for me.
8. Dion Lewis - Currently going in the mid 5th but I think he slips to at least the 6th where I will be happy to take him.

I'll do more as they come to me. As always feel free to tear it apart.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Comments are based on a 10 team, 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1FLX league with 0.5 PPR.

Allen Hurns: Not much has changed between this year and last when Hurns put up 8 games as a WR3 and 4 as a WR1. Last year's WR14, I'm not entirely sure why his ADP is the middle of the 6th and his value projection has him as a borderline WR3. At least based on my projections I won't be drafting him. Jordan Matthews is a full two tiers ahead of him and goes around the same time, and his tier is filled with other late round gems like Devante Parker, Marvin Jones, and Torrey Smith. That said there's nothing preventing his upside from going high and the Jaguars look to be heading in the right direction so anyone who feels the need to "reach" for him isn't really looking terrible.

Mark Ingram: I won't be drafting Ingram. While he pulled RB2 or better games in 10 of the 12 games he played last year, he hasn't had a full healthy season since 2012. Of course there's nothing preventing you from drafting Tim Hightower late (he's currently undrafted) as a handcuff, but given the depth at RB this year I'd rather use that third round pick on a Brandon Marshall (assuming Fitzmagic is back) or Demaryius Thomas.

Devante Parker: Projections have him in the same tier as Hurns but going a full round later. He pulled WR3 numbers in 3 of the 8 games he played, but again the opportunity cost is a question. Should I draft a player like Parker on upside, or go for a player like Decker (again assuming Fitzmagic is back) who scored WR3 numbers in every game he played? I like Parker and have high hopes for the Miami offense in general, but it's hard to grab him when there are so many value plays I could pick up instead.

Marvin Jones: Once again we're in the same tier as Parker and Hurns, only now with an ADP of 11 there's a solid chance he'll be available. I think Detroit is going to do well with their new offensive coordinator and think everyone in this offense is underrated.

Austin Sefarian-Jenkins: He's basically free at this point. Projections remain super low (he's barely above Jimmy Graham and four of the seven players in his tier go undrafted), but if you believe the injury label is off and Tampa's offense will improve then he's worth taking a flyer on. That said there are other players ranked up in a higher tier that are drafted behind him and might be worth taking instead, like Julius Thomas or...

Eric Ebron: Ebron is projected as the TE11 in an offense that I expect to do well. If you're not interested in going with an elite prospect (incidentally Reed is currently projected to be in the same tier as Gronk) then drafting him late is a solid idea.

Alfred Morris: I love Alf and was sad to see him leave Washington. That said I'm not convinced he's worth drafting. I think it's more likely that if Elliott isn't the bellcow people expect (and I am not a fan of drafting rookies as starters), but there's nothing about Morris that stands out relative to McFadden. I mean he's a reliable and awesome guy, and behind that line it's hard not to love him, but I consider him to be solidly a flyer in a season where there are plenty of other RBs to snag late.

Dion Lewis: His ADP is 5.3, his ADP is 5.3, but his projections lump him in with the likes of Duke Johnson and Jay Ajayi (albeit with a skew that suggests a high level of upside). The reason? Two projections (FantasySharks and Rotowire) have him basically unstartable and that's dragging his value down. My guess is that they aren't as wiling to trust a NE RB as others.

Thank god someone responded. Overall you have a lot of great points but I'd like to run through them. I would really like to hear who you like at the positions I like these guys because I really have nothing to compare to.

Allen Hurns - Jordan Matthews looked terrible last year in that he couldn't catch an on-target pass to save his life. I think he is over-ranked for being the Philly #1 receiver but don't deny there is potential. Hard to trust him though.

Mark Ingram - I posted a bit about Ingram's injury history and why I feel the worry is not entirely warranted. Demaryius won't last until the third by the time the draft comes around. If Decker signs with the Jets, there is no way Marshall lasts until the third.

Devante Parker - Who are the value players you would grab at the same ADP? Decker will go a full round ahead of him at least.

Dion Lewis - I don't think the projections accurately take into account how the Pats use Lewis. He is like a hybrid back/Edelman and most of his big games were due to his receiving ability.

Keep in mind I am trying to think about where these guys end up come September but I really dont know anything.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is it? He's recovering from an ACL tear, and while we've seen significant improvements in recovery there's no guarantee that he comes back in the same form he was last year. While New England did nothing to address the RB position in the draft, LeGarrette Blount is only 29 and has plenty left in the tank. Lewis's ADP of 5.3 is not a place I would be drafting a player with that level of risk. There are plenty of other RBs going around him that would be worth considering like DeMarco Murray, Carlos Hyde, and Latavius Murray. WRs going around that point include Golden Tate, Jeremy Maclin, Randall Cobb, or Doug Baldwin. You could even luck out and get Jordan Reed who has an ADP in the middle of the fourth but could easily slide.

The earlier the pick the lower my tolerance for risk, and I don't think the upside Lewis offers is sufficient to warrant drafting him at his ADP.

This changes things a bit. I don't know how Murray/Hyde/Murray2 last until the 5th to be honest. Baldwin/Maclin/Cobb in the 5th would be nothing but money, I just don't see how they end up going that late.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Forever_Peace posted:

Other folks to look at in ppr that seem low: Danny Woodhead (5th/6th), Breshad Perriman (11th/12th), Matt Ryan (11th-13th), Kendall Wright (13th).

In the early and mid rounds I'll be scooping up Lewis/Cobb/Ingram/Rawls/Mathews/Tevin Coleman wherever I can.

Really like the mid-round RBs this year. If it stays this way, a ppr draft from the 4-6 of something like Nuke/Alshon/Rawls /Lewis/Woodhead/Brady/Abdullah/Moncrief seems within the realm of possibility.

Nuk is a 1st-2nd rounder, Alshon and Rawls are 2nd-3rd. I seriously doubt any of those 3 are available in the 4th, unless the other owners area bunch of potatoes.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Forever_Peace posted:

Sorry, I was proposing drafting from the 4-6 spot in a 12-team snake draft. Nuk would be the 1st, Alshon 2nd, Rawls 3rd.

Well now I feel silly.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Benne posted:

Pump the brakes on your ASJ hype train

Just came here to post about this. Its still early but certainly not a good sign in the beginning of camp.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Forever_Peace posted:

Agholor being investigated for rape.

Goddamnit. This offseason was relatively decent until now in terms of players being shitlords.

This brings up an interesting question. When you draft players in fantasy, do you shy away from players who have done terrible things? Thinking Roethlisberger and AP would likely be at the top of people's hate list. I'm not saying I would never draft a player like this, but I haven't up to this point and I certainly don't look to draft them.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Forever_Peace posted:

Weed guys own and should be drafted at every opportunity, because gently caress Goodell.

I root for all weed guys, unless they have done something actually terrible.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I agree with most of what you said, but I certainly don't think I am better than anyone else for not picking a terrible human for my fantasy team. It more comes down to the rooting for X player factor. I don't really get uppity about anyone picking Big Ben or AP, but I will certainly make relentless jokes about it. Last year, the one mother in our league drafted AP at #3 overall so it was too easy...

If I can get good value from one of those guys, though, I am pulling the trigger.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Dandy Kaiser posted:

We are all bad and Hobbes was right

This I can agree with.

What do you guys think of QB's this year for the late rounds? I got burned by Matt Ryan last year and don't like dropping a high pick on a QB. Looking at the current ADP, it seems like QBs would be going a little earlier in my league. I don't see Cam lasting until the 4th round and it seems like last year QB's were going much earlier in general.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Benne posted:

Torrey Smith will do what he always does -- have one random 120-yard game that gets everyone's hopes up, do fuckall for the next 4 weeks, have another random 120-yard game that gets everyone's hopes up, rinse repeat.

gently caress Torrey Smith.

I have to agree with Benne here. Torrey Smith isn't a guy that is going to be anywhere near consistent game to game and he doesn't have the size/possession ability of Boldin to be a regular target. Combine that with shaky QB play for a deep threat receiver and I am staying far away.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Spoeank posted:

I'm currently getting tut tutted and lectured on Twitter because I don't think ODB should be picked over AB84.

Why do I discuss this poo poo outside this thread.

You have some dumb twitter followers. It's not even loving close.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Metapod posted:

Did they have any good points or was it pure insanity?

What pray tell would be a good point?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Tiptoes posted:

I'd take ODB over AB without a second thought. ODB is a HOF-level talent constantly making sick plays and his best football is still to come. I absolutely believe his ceiling is higher than AB's. And he's insanely entertaining to watch and root for. Plus, I get to invoke Ol Dirty Bastard references constantly when he's on my teams. He's my #1 player going into this season.

ODB is a great player, and I don't outright disagree that his ceiling could be higher, but I don't think you are giving enough credit to AB84. Brown is just as much of a HoF talent as ODB, even moreso I would say because he has maintained an extremely high level of play for longer. Brown has more yards/catches in each of the last 3 years and it isn't even close. Their TD production is pretty even, with Beckham leading by 2 over the last 2 years.

Also, this isn't HoF, it is fantasy, and Brown's clear advantage in yardage/catches last year was enough to put him 50 points ahead of ODB at the end of the year in half ppr. 50 points!! That's an average of 3 points more per game which is HUGE.

Edit: Thinking more, I don't think it is clear that ODB's ceiling is higher than AB84. Brown had 1834 yards last year with Big Ben missing 4 games. I think its safe to say he hasn't hit his ceiling yet and is already well ahead of ODB.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Tiptoes posted:

Antonio Brown's career numbers at ODB's age: 85/1275/2. ODB's numbers stand at 187/2755/25. Brown's target/catch numbers are off the charts but to say his TD production is pretty even with ODB is just not true. Brown has 23 TDs in 32 games the last two years while ODB has 25 TDs in 27 games. So ODB is basically scoring TDs at the same rate as Gronk and also he has the most receiving yards of any player through their first two years. And I still think there's another level to his game wherein he becomes outright unstoppable. So I'm going to draft based on what I think will happen going forward and I think ODB becomes a fantasy god.

I think its really dumb comparing these two players as rookies. Some players take more time to develop and settle in than others. Brown had Mike Wallace, Hines Ward, and Heath Miller ahead of him when he came in as a rookie. ODB had 0 competition. I'm not going to go into more because the situations are completely different and comparing them is dumb because it has little to no bearing on where they are at now in their careers. You are right that I didn't account for ODB playing less games than Brown when comparing Touchdowns. The difference still wasn't enough to make up for the catches/yards that Brown gets. Essentially what you are doing is banking that the next year will be a huge step forward for ODB because that is the only way he can match Brown's current production, which I don't think has seen its peak yet. Antonio Brown is already a fantasy god (20 points/game average last year) and has been for the last 2 seasons.

Also maybe next time you should say that one of the reasons you want to pick ODB over Brown is you would rather watch him play. That is absolutely fine if you want to do that, but it has nothing to do with production which is really the only thing we can debate.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 15, 2016

• Locked thread