Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

krushgroove posted:

I'm happy to report that Mr. Green will be guiding you all through the Oath Thread this season, thanks to some awesome webcomics done by goon moths and his wife! This one features, as past drawings did, the intrepid Mr. Green, the Ork With No Name (but he actually...does...have a name? don't worry about that!)

It should probably be noted that until the day before this thread went live, the first month's theme was about painting your oldest model! We promise future themes will be more relevant to the webcomic!

I'm so happy to see art in the Oath thread again! I was bummed that I had too much going on and couldn't do it anymore, but I'm glad the reins have been passed to more capable and talented goon artists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I, SRM, Oath a Contemptor Dreadnought for Warhammer 40k, 28mm, by Games Workshop

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Foolster41 posted:

Are people here using phone cameras,. or reguilar cameras? Everyone's photos here look great. I just can't seem to get a non-blurry photo any more. I must have taken close to 50 pictures with differetnt light configurations and angles and settings (such as turning auto-focus off). Even using my (old) digital camera didn't work.

I stopped using my camera and started using my iPhone 6. The camera on that's lovely. The lighting is what really does it, IMO.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
OATH COMPLETE!

And a Word Bearers helmet, on the ground where they belong:

No theme on this one; I'll see if I can find a dragon-esque model to do this month.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I, SRM, Oath these 6 Guildball guys by Steamforged Games (28mm)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Oath Complete!

I would like to claim the theme for Rage, who's chilling out with his butcher knife and a fine cigar.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Endman posted:

I thought I'd do a little work in progress. I've almost finished the first of five miniatures (the sarge) for my oath this month, and I think the scheme is solid and it's turning out rather well.

That's a sharp scheme, you're definitely getting good results so far.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm curious how he'd look with a black base rim, but he's lookin good.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I, SRM, oath 20 Empire Crossbowmen for Warhammer Fantasy Battles for the month of July:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Endman posted:

Here's another WIP shot; I just finished my Tempestus Scion:

You might notice he's missing his antenna. That's because the bastard snapped off with the tiniest nudge and was forever lost in the carpet. So we'll just pretend it's retracted.

That Scion loving owns. I love your scheme.
OATH COMPLETE!

I would also like to claim #SquadGoals and box art

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

One trick I learned when it comes to scorch effects on a flamer is that, after painting it like you did there, give it a wash with brown ink. Not a wash, an ink--the ink gives it a richer color.

Would the GW gloss washes give that effect or would you want to specifically get an ink?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GoodBee posted:

You didn't paint the cat.

Also, my brain tried to process those blood splatters as tiny kitten footprints.

Note to self: get red paint, set up near cat

Endman posted:

I won't be able to complete my oath this month; my can of primer ran out and I can't get another until Wednesday, which will be in August. But here are the miniatures I did manage to get done:

I had a lot of fun painting these guys, and I'm looking forward to next month!
Batch painting, yo. These guys look dope but you'd probably get a playable force sooner if you were doing more batch work. At the very least you could batch prime them together if you're not already.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mugaaz posted:

Batch painting is a destroyer of souls. The gain in efficiency isn't worth it.

It's necessary if you want to get an army out. To a certain point it's totally worth it. Batches of 5 or 10 guys are definitely doable. Earlier this month I did a batch of 20 Empire Crossbowmen and I wanted to slit my wrists though, that was the worst.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I, SRM, Oath 5 Invictus Suzerians for August (Forgeworld, 28mm)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

I can't wait to see these.

I'm pretty sure seeing yours is what got me to finally pull the trigger :)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
:agesilaus:OATH COMPLETE:agesilaus:

I'd like to claim #SquadGoals for these boyos.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zark the Damned posted:

You'd like to, but you can't :P

Oops! Thought it was a repeatable one. My bad!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ilor posted:

Oath complete!

I am claiming the theme challenge, because what psychotic, shotgun-wielding, cycle-ganger's ride is complete without FLAMES!?!?

The hotrod flames are a great touch on this dude. The sculpt's awesome and the skin looks excellent too.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I, SRM, Oath 5 Space Marine Scouts for the game of Lost Patrol (GW, 28mm)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
OATH COMPLETE!

No theme or anything; there's not enough yellow on the chainsword to justify the theme and I wasn't gonna go ahead and paint Imperial Fists :v:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheFinalTuba posted:

And the Galwegians

Pretty much just copied the studio scheme as close as I could (I'm obviously no Angel haha), but super happy with these guys. Especially the teeny tiny tartan haha.

Claiming Jurnal for the patterns on the kilts.
These guys own, just thought you should be aware of that.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I, SRM, oath this statue I made of an old Space Marine Captain:

Needless to say this will be an it's a rescue! attempt.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
OATH COMPLETE! Claiming backstory and it's a rescue

Backstory
In 006.M41, the Ultramarines launched an assault on the planet of Lutum III, colloquially known to the Imperial Guard unit stationed there as "Dirt Planet". There were few natural resources and it was of little tactical importance in the greater sector, but being a life-sustaining planet, Imperial decree demanded that it be wrenched from the hands of the Bad Moons Orks inhabiting it. The Ultramarines were lead by the then-Captain of the 2nd Company, Octavius. Stormbolter in one hand and chainsword in the other, Octavius led the men of his chapter and the Imperial Guard into battle countless times, leading from the front and besting countless Orks in combat. He went undefeated in his campaign until, shortly before the planet could be wholly brought into compliance, the Black Legion appeared, drawn by the heroic deeds of the captain and the blood spilled on Lutum III. Imperial Guard forces turned traitor, and while the 2nd company fought on, it was clear that they were losing more Marines with every battle and the campaign would end in the destruction of their company. On the final day of the campaign, Octavius oversaw the withdrawal of his forces from the planet. Before the survivors could load into their Thunderhawks, a contingent of renegade Imperial Guard struck the airfield. Their armor rolled through the fences and barricades nearly unopposed as the Ultramarines carried their wounded onto the dropships. They needed more time, and Octavius held the line with the remainder of his command squad. He was wounded repeatedly, but his armor and trusted apothecary kept him standing. As the ramp of the final Thunderhawk was about to close, Octavius and the apothecary ran for the ship. Lasbolt after lasbolt ricocheted off his armor until finally an autocannon round hit him square in the back, blowing off his powerpack and knocking him to the ground. Before he could get up, the shells from the traitor artillery had him ranged, and they tore up the earth around him. The apothecary was unable to save him, as he was obliterated by an earthshaker shell seconds later. The last Thunderhawk left Lutum III without its captain, but his sacrifice allowed the Marines of his company to live on and fight once more. While the planet was later purged by the Dark Angels under Master Kael, the sacrifice of Octavius was never forgotten by the 2nd company.

The actual story:
Back in 2006, I played a homebrew ruleset with my friends using 40k models and fluff. However, it was horribly, horribly unbalanced, and I ended up winning every game because we didn't have a points system or anything, just a vague "yeah, that looks right" feeling when putting the armies on the table. In every game, Octavius was my commander, and in every game he survived. At first it was just my buddy with his Guard and my other friend with his Orks, but then a fourth guy came along with Chaos and that's when things heated up. Finally, in one of the last games of the system we ever played, Chaos and Guard teamed up against my Ultramarines and my army got beat soundly. The last models alive on my side of the table were Octavius and his apothecary, who were running for the table edge when they got shot to pieces by a Chimera with an autocannon turret. I thought it would be a fun way to take an old model from my youth and memorialize the time I spent playing silly homebrew rules with my friends when I was a teenager, while still making something useful for my regular games of 40k.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ijyt posted:

SRM that childhood memory to fluff is great, not sure I've met anyone who doesn't enjoying doing that to fondly remembered battles.

Thanks! It was real fun to do :)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I, SRM, Oath one Empire Cannon, its four crew, a witch hunter, and Empire captain for the month of November

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
OATH COMPLETE

Individual shots:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I, SRM, oath 10 Ironsides Handgunners for Warhammer from Games Workshop/Forgeworld

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Oath Complete!

I'd like to claim challenge for all the red on these models.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ashcans posted:

Merry Christmas, Oathers!

This is a good page of good things but this loving owns.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I, SRM, oath these four Space Marines for January

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Oath Complete!

Theme is the snow basing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I, SRM, Oath Roboute Guilliman for February (28mm, Forgeworld)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ugleb posted:

How topical!

I need to paint him before the plastic one comes out so I can make them kiss.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Germ posted:

Second Place (2 Points) – SRM

Thank you! These guys were a lot of fun to paint, and I was excited to work in a different color scheme that I hadn't really tested before.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
:agesilaus:OATH COMPLETE:agesilaus:
I painted up Roboute Guilliman! The marble on the base was a nightmare, but the model itself was really fun to paint! I also got to mess around with the 'Eavy Metal painting guide for painting faces from October's White Dwarf, which I followed to get the face. I'm really proud of that part, even if I don't love the cape.

I also magnetized the base so I could stick him on a 40mm base:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

OATH COMPLETE!

Marine turned out a bit bland, but overall happy with them. Turns out the real challenge of the oaths is not painting, its taking pictures once they are done.

I like those Bloodbowl duders, but I think the only thing really missing for the Marine are some transfers and iconography. A tactical arrow on one shoulder, a Fist icon on the other, and maybe something like a lightning bolt on his knee and he'll be interesting. The old "I love my bolter" Marines are great canvases for stuff like that since they're such simple minis.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

Sorry SRM, what I meant to say was that he looks like a high school photo.

The names on his base aren't the planets he's conquered, but schools his lacrosse team beat.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I, SRM, Oath 5 Converted Scouts for March! Games Workshop, 28mm

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
OATH COMPLETE

All I've got for the theme is the helmets being a headswap; don't know if that's enough conversion to count for that.

More pictures in the painting thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692&pagenumber=301#lastpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I, SRM, Oath 10 Autocannon Marines and one kitbashed Master of Signals for April

• Locked thread