Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

krushgroove posted:

I'm happy to report that Mr. Green will be guiding you all through the Oath Thread this season, thanks to some awesome webcomics done by goon moths and his wife! This one features, as past drawings did, the intrepid Mr. Green, the Ork With No Name (but he actually...does...have a name? don't worry about that!)

It should probably be noted that until the day before this thread went live, the first month's theme was about painting your oldest model! We promise future themes will be more relevant to the webcomic!

The return of Mr Green, and the first one features Moola :magical:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Welcome to the newcomers, and welcome back to the old people :v:

I, NTRabbit, open my Season 7 account by oathing to paint

1 Dragon Turtle by Reaper Minniatures (25mm)

If that's not dragony enough for Krushgroove, or monstery enough for Zark, then I'm only just getting started :unsmigghh:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

krushgroove posted:

Unfortunately I can't recall who made this app originally, which is a big shame because it was really helpful! If someone remembers (or if you're the awesome goon that did this), please let me know!

Thanks to the power of the internet, I can tell you it was originally made by Deanut Pancer

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Foolster41 posted:

Are people here using phone cameras,. or reguilar cameras? Everyone's photos here look great. I just can't seem to get a non-blurry photo any more. I must have taken close to 50 pictures with differetnt light configurations and angles and settings (such as turning auto-focus off). Even using my (old) digital camera didn't work.

I usually end up using my camera, because my tablet is busted, so I need my phone for the worldtimeserver.com display. Before my tablet broke, I'd usually use my phone, an original Xperia Z. For the completed oaths though, always my camera, but that's because I have a nice one.

Ugleb posted:

I use my phone and find that turning the torch on helps compensate for the screen glare and lights up my models. I frequently struggle with oath complete pics though, as I have no lightbox setup.

Not sure if my oath pic link is working, the imgur app is weird. I'll fix it later if needed.

For some reason your image isn't loading on the page, but is when I open it in a new tab :shrug: e: Oh, you've img linked to the page rather than directly to the image, that's why it isn't working

Also my poor man's lightbox is a white Ikea SKUBB box, with an Ikea DIODER 4 piece strip lighting set on top for the light.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 4, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ugleb posted:

I do not understand the logic of the imgur app's UI, my brain just doesn't get it at all. :shrug:

Will check out that ghetto lightbox though, cheers.

The lights aren't so ghetto, but I bought them for something else and just haven't installed them yet, but the box is super cheap and you can use any strong light.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

krushgroove posted:

(it'd be great to have a newsletter to keep people informed and interested!)

Mailchimp, friend :ocelot:

krushgroove posted:

an avatartist

I absolutely read that in the voice of Sid James

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Deanut Pancer posted:

Good news everyone! I've updated the app with another 12 months of oath dates. I'm glad some of you found it useful. Happy oathing!

Thanks Deanut Pancer :buddy:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Cool shoutout to this thread from KR Multicase on their Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153574304331778&id=199053616777

I can't figure out how to post the pics of the painted cases but they all look great :downs:

Neat :yayclod:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

A lightbox of some kind does wonders, there should be a section about photography in the painting thread OP

OATH ADDITION

• 12x Goblins and 2x Gores by Mantic (28mm)
  • 2x cooking pots, 2x large fires, and picket fence by 3T Studios (25mm)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

nesbit37 posted:

Here is a picture of nesbit37 incinerating the rest of the thread participants with plasma, in a widely applauded mercy killing

Yeah ok whatever, gently caress

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

lilljonas posted:

I came home today and found a note that there was a package waiting at the post office. And indeed, I got to pick up this nifty KR multicase bag:

That's how cool and nice the KR guys are, I had completely forgotten the KR competition in last oath thread. Major kudos, this is perfect for my new Viking skirmish force!

Indolent Bastard posted:

My prize case just arrived yesterday. It's pretty drat keen.

Just to check, am I the only winner from the season 6 KR competition yet to receive their prize from KR?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

krushgroove posted:

You're in Australia, correct? I'd imagine either transit times or Customs - if you haven't had anything after another week or so email me.

Schmetterling just got hers today over in the season 6 thread, so I guess mine shouldn't be far away

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Prize received, KR is the best :kimchi:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I think bases used to count, but there are now so many games with no bases, or deliberately blank/clear bases (ie X-Wing, Dreadball), that they only count if you call em out specific now.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:shroom:OATH COMPLETE:shroom:

Claiming Monster May-hem and WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS? with this Dragon Turtle, all painted up to breath fire. Apologies for the shinyness, but it's not yet varnished as I'm having issues with varnish drying and then un-drying on Bones at the moment. Also keeping his white plastic shoes until I figure out the basing scheme for his army, which won't be soon.

Also claiming #SquadGoals for these Goblins, busy cooking dinner - a selection of green or red - and feeding their Gores. They go with these guys from last month:

*Not an oath image

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Zark the Damned posted:

The only reason to do both challenges in a month is the feeling of smug superiority you feel over all of those one and none challenger doers :)

Or to be like Season 5 Zark the Damned, and win all of the regular and extra random draw prizes :doom:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint in the rest of June

1 Karnedge Gorefathom, Karkarion Boss by Reaper Minis (25mm)

The Scotch is for drinking, though :beerpal:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:eonwe: OATH COMPLETE :eonwe:

His bonesium platform shoe will once again be cut off once the basing for his army has been arranged, but he can't stand up without it, so I've left it on for now.

Claiming Box Art:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/karnedge/latest/03625#detail/03625_p_1_mp

Also claiming Summer’s here! Time to relax... with a mini that is well over 50% skin

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint in July

1 Kraken by Reaper (25mm)

readysetgo

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Oh right, Germ's special terrain comp this month :buddy: I completely forgot! In that case

OATH ADDITION

1 Large Drill Platform by Underground Lasers (28mm)

NTRabbit posted:

readysetgo

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pyrolocutus posted:

For the challenge, can we paint the water or does it need to be one of those water effects? Also, would a crack at swampwater be acceptable, or does it need to be brighter, happier water?

Water is water, green, blue, grey, or some weird purple poo poo that factory up the river is pumping out but it's ok because they said it's totally not carcinogenic!

And not to speak for Zark, but I'm pretty sure that if you can paint some kind of water it's enough, actual water effects gels and 1 or 2 part still water resins are just a cool looking way of doing it - I've found that, while the challenges are good for getting you to paint in new and different ways, they're never about making you go out and spend more money buying tools or ingredients just for that one challenge. There's always capacity for you to improvise with what you have on hand.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

We seem to have a fair dinkum, escalating terrain showdown happening here this month :clint:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

You forgot to include the cat on your oath list, I can see it there on the right

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Well poo poo, my terrain guy just announced today that he's winding the business back to eBay sales only, mostly tokens with terrain only on arranged request, because even though he's paid off the laser the income isn't steady enough, so he's going back to regular work.

Gonna paint as much of his stuff this month as I can.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Alright then terrain guy, this is for you, and I'm glad I only oathed the one mini to start with

OATH ADDITION
  • 20x 3" laser barrier sections, 4x corners for angled walls, 2x large acrylic billboards, 2x large shipping container, 2x shipping container, 1x angled wall with stairs and acrylic door, 1x Supercomputer by Underground Lasers (28mm)
  • 6x Q huts by Impudent Mortal (15mm)

NTRabbit posted:

readysetgo

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I am completely unfamiliar with the act of lining everything up for an oath photo, and then being able to repeat the photo up to a week later having done absolutely nothing :shepface:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:peanut: OATH COMPLETE :peanut:

6 Q Huts

Two billboards and supercomputer. Really all I did for the billboards was paint the supports black, but I oathed them anyway for good measure!

Two large shipping container, and two shipping container

The large drill platform, gate, corners, and laser fences all in one go

The stranger calling himself Survivor has brought the Eldar strike team to this strange place; "Uncover the secret of the Fernfield monument, and you too can join us in the Warpath"

Special rule for the piece:
In wine mode, whomever has the most points on the base at the end of each game turn gets a refill - minis underneath are worth 1 point, on the first floor 2 points, and the top floor 3 points.
In beer mode, as above, but the whole bottle must be drunk and replaced for the next turn.
In drill mode, each player turn the drill generates a token worth d6 minerals, which can then be carried off the board for an equal number of victory points, but the carrying unit cannot shoot back - do you moneyball out a pair of tokens worth 2 VP, or do you gamble on hooking and holding a big single toen worth 5 or 6?

Kraken!

Claiming Life's a beach! for the Kraken

Also claiming Would July-ke to paint some terrain, my Lord? for all the terrain, picture time for the drill platform with minis on it, Rules Lawyer for the special rules, and hopefully it's enough overall for an epic bonus entry.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Still no sign of Krushgroove, but I'm pretty sure everyone realises by now the July deadline has come and gone

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Oh no no no, you're not done yet Zark, you still need to go back and approve all the July oaths as well :colbert:

:v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It's not a hazing for the new guy if you offer to do it for him!

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint for the month of August

4 Hexagonal containers, 2 Hexagonal half-containers, 1 Microwave Array, 1 Lightning Cannon, 1 Control Room kit, and 1 Planetary Gate kit by Underground Lasers (28mm)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Small versions of everything are cool, they don't have to be wargame or boardgame figures. I've got a 1/35 Tank Destroyer I'm slowly working on that will be oathed at some point

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Germ posted:

And, the random number generator says that the winner of the Terrain Prize draw is ....

NTRabbit!

:woop: CHICKEN DINNER! :woop:

I've been eyeing off some of your area terrain since the last KS, I'll do some calculations and email you about it soon.

Thanks for running the comp!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I'm going to have to declare an Oath Failed; due to a combination of trying to do too many things this month and sucking at most of them. Oh well, at least I'll have a couple of potential whales to save!

Oh, and congratulations to NTRabbit on the terrain prize draw! That was some cool stuff you did last month.

e: goddamn phone posting

Thanks :buddy: got some more coming this month, hoping to finish the last bit of it tomorrow, and a Worldsmith package is racing its way across the Pacific already.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:pgabz: OATH COMPLETE :pgabz:

Microwave Array

Lightning Cannon

Chevron seven, locked!

Control Room. I call this one the RTS chair.

Hex containers, in special medical cryo livery

Claiming the monthly challenge, and playing my :australia: card to swap seasonal challenges - using my mostly white hex containers to claim So C-C-Cold! it’s the middle of winter and my snot is frozen solid!, which means that in January I'll be doing Augut's heat wave challenge

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

counterspin posted:

Does anyone have any photography tips for people who have models that look nice on the table and hideous in photos? I'm using a basic miniature setting on my camera, but I always feel like the pictures are way uglier than the models.

There's this in the painting thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post442594526

Also minis almost always look worse in photos, because they magnify any small mistakes you've made that you would never notice on the tabletop.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

glitchkrieg posted:

Are these images broken for anyone else? I just looked at this thread at home and they're coming up as broken :/

Direct link seems to work though:

http://xerode.net/img/sa/oath/08_chaos_warrior.jpg

http://xerode.net/img/sa/oath/08_goblin_fanatics.jpg

http://xerode.net/img/sa/oath/08_frostgrave_tokens_03.jpg

They're all working for me, so you're fine

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

GoodBee posted:

Oath Complete

Claiming It's hot! Hot! Hot!

That image is not showing, do you have the right link/visibility settings?

Works like this though

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Terrain painting continues, this time onto the Deadzone group

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint for September

A helipad, train station, 6" container, 6" walkway, and 9" bridge by Underground Lasers (28mm)

(still to come in future oaths: Train group, Prison group, Wolsung group, 'original' group, 10/15mm group, Reaper+Acheson group, Worldsmith group)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Morning doorbell means delivery man!

Priority mail! I feel so important, wonder what it is

The tracker still had this in sorting, but :woop:

The box is full :aaa:

So much awesome terrain, and it's so big, and first access to rad new KS stuff :aaaaa:

Thanks Germ, I will enjoy it! Thanks for sponsoring the competition, and thanks Oath Thread :peanut:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nichol posted:

I see for scale and brand my Gundam has ???/???
For the record it is made by Bandai and is 1:144 scale.

I can't find where the spreadsheet represents Boxart/squads/wips etc?

Cheevos, sheet to the left of May

• Locked thread