Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I, GoodBee, oath one Skorne Archidon Heavy Warbeast for WarMachine/Hordes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Germ posted:

Would July-ke to paint some terrain, my Lord?

For the month of July, include some terrain in your oath to get entered into a special prize drawing. Any scale will do, but it should be suitable terrain, not just a scenic objective marker, unit filler, or the like.

The winner of the prize draw will get a selection of resin terrain from Worldsmith Industries. I'll work out with the winner the specifics of what they want, but expect something in the range of $75 worth of terrain. Anything on the we store would be fair game, as would anything I've prototyped but is not yet available for public sale.

I was going to ask what if we painted up a whole bunch of scenic objective markers but then I saw the area terrain system on Worldsmith Industries and that actually looks even better.

It looks like you can use them all together as terrain or take off the inserts and use them as objectives, depending on your needs for a particular game. Is that how you can use them?

I generally prefer to play with flat terrain but would like to use better objectives than just empty bases. The area terrain bases look like they're pretty flat without the inserts.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Germ posted:

For flat terrain, if you painted a mousepad or equivalent to look like a pond or the like, that would totally count as terrain for the contest!

Holy crap, that is also a good idea. Bulk blank white mousepads are apparently pretty cheap. Good thing I've got until July to figure out what to do.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

krushgroove posted:

I'd like to figure out some way to offer new avatars to people who complete their Oaths, but can't think of anything that is manageable and also doesn't burn out the artists that want to make them.

Maybe a random drawing for however many avatars the artists feel like making at the time? Maybe get an extra entry for doing both the theme and technical challenge? Let the artist pick their own challenges?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

malal posted:

This is turning out to be really fun, it's like building an army list except I'm configuring optimum aesthetics and a build order instead of unit viability and equipment load out.

Previous to this my favorite gaming points have been escalation leagues, I love painting so much to meet the deadlines. This is like an unbound escalation league that lasts a year, haha.

I'm planning out my whole year, including purchasing new stuff because I don't have anything to fit a theme or technical challenge. Some examples, I want to get started with Guild Ball, I want to play Fishermen, I don't have a water themed model for July so it's a perfect match! I've had some Croe's Cutthroats for WarMachine that have been knocking around unpainted for years and I think they'd look really awesome in autumn colors for November. I'd been having a hard time figuring out what to do with those guys.

I'm planning to oath fairly conservatively and work on my backlog at the same time. This month I've oathed my Archidon but I'm setting an additional goal for myself to finish up my half painted Titan Sentry and a couple spare Paingivers. Plus assemble, gap fill and prime my July entry.

I want to say I really like the incentive that "They're multiplying" gives for oath additions. A regular oath addition just seems detrimental but I can be easily motivated by imaginary Internet points to paint more. I've already got my next monster picked out and I'll add it if I can get the first one painted in a timely manner. I'm still waiting on some some supplies I'd ordered because I didn't check that something was backordered. My whole order has shipped now so I'm just waiting for UPS.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

malal posted:

Quick question though, what is the "they're multiplying" challenge? I made a cheat sheet for all possible challenges, but I don't see that one on it.

Search Zark's posts. It's just a bonus for this month, it doesn't add to season points.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Pash posted:

Hey quick question. I know things are supposed to be 1 color, but is zenithal primed stuff okay?

It looks like you should be fine. Second post:

krushgroove posted:

How to Oath your model:
2. Your model must be photographed out of its package and in one of these states:
2a. still on sprue, off the sprue and unassembled, partially assembled or fully assembled
2b. unpainted, primed or basecoated in a SINGLE color
2c. zenithal priming IS allowed, however pre-shading or picking out details is NOT allowed**

If you're not sure, post a pic before you paint more.

I'm going to assemble and prime all my poo poo before I oath it in the future. I hosed up my priming this month but I think I can live with it on this model.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Zark the Damned posted:

You can do a few so long as they're part of the 'its a rescue' achievement, but that's only for one Oath.

Can we post our half finished crap along with our oaths? Not for points but so we can feel shame when we don't finish? We can use Not an Oath.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Oath Complete!

Claiming Where are my DRAGONS!: Technical Challenge and Monster MAY-HEM

I wanted to make sure I got my photo in before the deadline so here's a crappy painting desk shot.

I can still base him and upload better pics tomorrow, right? If I've got time.

Edit: Technical challenge, not Theme challenge.

GoodBee fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 31, 2016

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

chutche2 posted:

Too bad, I would've painted up my Archidon if I knew about this before. Going to try to participate in the June oath, whatever that will be.

Is your Rasheth painted? Because that's what I'm going to do.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

chutche2 posted:

Is this pose relaxed enough?

Was going to do Rasheth, but I really should get my khador finished up since I'll be playing them more. If this guy's fine I'll paint him up with some pikemen.

Paint both!

Edit: I just want to see a bunch of new Rasheth paint jobs ITT.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

chutche2 posted:

If I do paint him I'm going to give him a little cocktail umbrella.

:3:

I'm going to armor up my tiny titans. I'm also going to prime him before I post my oath and it's been raining here lately. I learned my lesson last month when I hosed up my priming. I've got a couple of back up plans if I gently caress up Rasheth.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

head58 posted:

[B]I, head58, oath Supreme Archdomina Makeda, Orin Midwinter and a Cyclops Shaman from Privateer Press (Skorne).

Is your Rasheth painted? I'm trying to make June Rasheth month. Although the Shaman probably has enough skin for the technical challenge and is a fantastic model.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

head58 posted:

Rasheth is who I'm hoping to get soon. Can't decide if I paint him up like Hedonismbot or not.

Like give him a wooden platform and paint him like a gold robot? That would be pretty hilarious. It would probably look pretty cool too, it just depends how he would look with the rest of your army. If it meshes or you don't care, do it!

Everyone I know calls him Hedonism bot anyway.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I, GoodBee, oath Dominar Rasheth. Privateer Press, 28mm.

I'm joining the fat man crew.

I'm also excited because the minis I ordered for my July oath came in today.

I've got a question about the July terrain challenge. I'm thinking about building a couple of small terrain pieces using balsa wood and maybe a small pond using water effects. I don't quite have a plan yet and I'm wondering at what stage should I oath it? I'm thinking parts of it will be painted before I build the rest. Should I do WIP pics on that to be safe? The other idea I might go with is some area terrain on mouse pad material.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

enri posted:

I'm kinda hoping stuff that's built but not yet painted is going to be ok, it's a good question. I've got a few bits built that I'm holding off undercoating because I'm saving them for July, but if it has to be built in the same month... well that's a different story, it takes me months to start and finish a piece of terrain :D

I figured completely built but unpainted would be fine. I was kind of planning to wing it and just start building and painting stuff until I liked the end result. I could probably plan better and assemble enough unpainted for my oath ahead of time.

It's been a really long time since I've built any terrain since we've been playing WMH on laminated printouts of hills, forests and walls and stuff.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It has been too rainy to get the matte varnish on them yet, but finished otherwise.

I matte varnished in my bathroom. :v:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Oath Complete! Claiming Theme Challenge Time to relax.

With username:

More photos:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

You forgot to include the cat on your oath list, I can see it there on the right

The cat has more than one color. Is it a rescue?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I, GoodBee, oath one Guild Ball Fishermen starter (Shark, Angel and Siren) + Salt, and these 7 pieces of terrain I made out of crap lying around my house for this game I have yet to play.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

GoodBee posted:

I, GoodBee, oath one Guild Ball Fishermen starter (Shark, Angel and Siren) + Salt, and these 7 pieces of terrain I made out of crap lying around my house for this game I have yet to play.

Terrain WIP pic:

I'm having way too much fun with terrain that I haven't started on my minis yet.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

GoodBee posted:

Terrain WIP pic:

Added swamp grass.

Edit: added clump foliage and some mossy stuff. Put one layer of water effects on one piece as a test. It looks like I'll need at least one more layer.

GoodBee fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 20, 2016

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Mugaaz posted:

Any way I can be part of this thread if models take me like 3-4 weeks to finish? It can work if I wait to start until the 1st of the month, but don't want to hold back painting for arbitrary date. If it's not possible I understand.

That sounds like it should work out well for you once you get into the swing of things. Join on the 1st, paint your dude(s) then oath again on the 1st of the next month.

You can do prep work in advance, like cleaning, assembling, and priming. If you've got your August oath ready to go, you can prep your September oath while you're waiting. Check out the challenges. If you've got stuff you want to paint to anyway that will fulfill a challenge, you can schedule to paint it for that month.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

You didn't paint the cat.

Also, my brain tried to process those blood splatters as tiny kitten footprints.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Oath Complete!

Claiming Life's a beach! Technical challenge for water effects and theme because they're Fishermen.
Also #SquadGoals

Shark

Siren

Angel

Claiming Speed Painting for Salt

Claiming I rolled a 6! for the ball marker

Would July-ke to paint some terrain, my Lord?

Picture Time!

It's an Epic amount of terrain since it's a full table's worth for Guild Ball.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I, GoodBee, oath three Reaper Fire Wizards.

I was going to just do one but I may never get around to painting the other two if I don't oath them all. Plus I couldn't decide.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Oath Complete

Claiming It's hot! Hot! Hot!

GoodBee fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 1, 2016

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

That image is not showing, do you have the right link/visibility settings?

Apparently not. Thanks. I fixed it.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I, GoodBee, oath to paint one Squire. Privateer Press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Oath Complete

Claiming Challenge for the yellow and Punks Love Dick because it's a little steam punk robot.

• Locked thread