Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

richyp posted:

Veteran crew checking in, first oath since season 1 or 2. I was going to paint one of the many skeletons in my closet but I decided they should probably stay there for a while. So I went with robots and barbarians and kept my skeletons locked away.

Oath veteran checking in. I crashed and burned out of one of the previous threads a few years ago, and I have been goaded into trying again this year. Going to take it easy to start, I haven't painted since I failed out last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Ok I guess let's get this started.

I, Ashcans, pledge this Reaper Miniatures Rosie, Chronotechnician (25mm) for May

As for the monthly theme, uh, I guess I can say that this oath is dragon me back into painting? v:v:v Maybe I'll add something else that fits if I can get this done.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Weirdo posted:

How about "Girl with the dragon tattoo"?

Would that actually count? I don't mind missing out on the monthly theme, but I could try some freehand work if that would qualify...

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

:siren: Oath Complete :siren:

This is the first miniature that I have painted in something like two years, so I am pretty happy just to have done it, even if it took me all month and the camera reveals any number of problems. :) I did not manage to freehand a dragon or anything, so I am not claiming the theme for the month. Just happy to be back painting!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Signal posted:

Oath Complete!

Alguaciles

Their brave leader (and the model I'm least happy with)

Jaguars

Bandit (sneaky bastard is in my oath declaration post, but I forgot to call him out. Hope he still counts)

Claiming Journal for Daenerys Lupe's shoulder dragon. Also claiming the SquadGoals Achievement, which I believe these qualify for.

I dunno what these are for/from, but they look great!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

For June, I oath one Assault on Black Reach Ork Boy by GW

He'll need a little work to meet the theme, but I have a knife here.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

I will be claiming Backstory this month, as well as the Time to Relax theme:

Hundreds of restless boyz milled around the hold of the great space hulk, angry muttering breaking out into scuffles and grunts of pain. Guided by the maniacal genius of the resident Meks, the ship had landed in orbit of a rich, verdant world... one that had proved, impossibly, to be completely bereft of interesting life. Not that Orkz were opposed to gunning down vast herds of grazing animals, it just wasn't get amusing for long. The Boss had promised a scrap, and the mood was turning sour as the head Ork himself heaved into sight on a platform overlooking the bay. The crackle and squeal of haphazard amplification drew the baleful red glare of a thousand disappointed eyes. "Right lads, I's got bad news and good news. The bad news iz, da Mekz say dey need ten days to get us to some real scrappin', an that's no matter how hard I hit 'em." Shouts came up from the crowd, and more than a few bullets whined their way toward the platform in protest. "BUT!" the warboss thundered, drawing a brief pause from the crowd. "Da good news, dats time enough for some proper krumpin'! Get yer lads together, squigbeer for everyone and the best team iz first into the scrap when we get dere, right? Games on!" A great cheer went up from the crowd as enormous barrels were rolled into the hold; by the time the boyz were done with the game, they'd be close enough to a new target...

I couldn't imagine an Ork finding anything relaxing besides a solid sports riot, so I exchanged this guys weapons for scratch-built beer and a foam finger. :toot:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Endman posted:

I thought I'd do a little work in progress. I've almost finished the first of five miniatures (the sarge) for my oath this month, and I think the scheme is solid and it's turning out rather well.

Just wanted to say this is looking really nice, the scheme is solid and the implementation is tops.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath this Reaper 'Captain Razig' Skeleton Pirate Captain for July

Links to the large version so you can see the miniature properly. Looks like I have some pinhole gaps in my prime so I'll be fixing those before I get started.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I am happy to say Oath Complete, despite a trip to the in-laws this month.

I am also claiming Box Art for this, as I did my best to copy the display job on reaper's site. My skills aren't quite up to par, so I fell short on several aspects, most notably the use marks on the sword and the woodgrain. :( I feel pretty good about the bone and the coat though, so there's that.

Also, as a pirate, I assume the Captain qualifies for the monthly theme of being water-themed.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath one Privateer Press Warmachine Mercenaries Rover Heavy Warjack for August

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

I am claiming the theme with the smoke on this guy. Not totally sure I am happy with the effect, but I think its the best this iteration is going to get. :shrug:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I really wish that I had the time to make a school bus converted to being an Ok trukk. :( Someone with more time and energy fulfill this dream for me.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath this Skink shaman for September

This guy is sort of scratch built, but a bunch of the parts and the end goal I guess make him a GW 28mm Warhammer figure :shrug:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Don't say you're failing your oath until the month is done, slackers! :argh:

Speaking of which, Oath complete

I am claiming the challenge for this month, because just look at how yellow this loving guy is. I missed painting yellow lizards!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath one Reaper 28mm Netikerti, Nefsokar Mage (its a mummy) for October

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

moths posted:

I, moths, oath ten space marines (GW / 28mm):

(I took the photo yesterday but had some problems getting it off my phone, I hope that's OK.)

moths eat the eggs.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete!

Despite only being one miniature, this was competing against making the family halloween costumes and I barely got it done. The base is still drying.

Also claiming JURNAL because oooooo, it's a scary mummy!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I just realized I forgot to put my username on my completed post. Oh well!

I oath three snotlings for November. These are 28mm Games Workshop miniatures I guess, originally for Warhammer, but they're seriously OOP. I have been slowly using them up as furnishing and these are my last few.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete!

I only oathed three snotlings this month, but then I went all in on basing and the theme, and ended up with a snotling harvest festival dioarama....

What's going on here? Well, one of these fine chaps is busy harvesting fall pumpkins:

This fellow is collecting some mushrooms and using them to pinata pumpkins:

Meanwhile, the last of the trio is using... honestly, I am not sure what... to make a harvest brew:

Closeups of the mushroom circle and the back of the snotling still:

I am pretty happy with how this came out - almost everything is scratch built from bits and parts. The only thing I would like to fix are the pumpkins; I bought them as a kit, was irritated by the moldlines, tried to fix them, ended up having to paint them to try to hide the cut marks, and you can still see moldlines anyway. Drill your pumpkins!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

For December, I Ashcans oath 1 28mm Reaper Balthon, Overlords Cleric

In any case there is doubt, the multiple colors are because I primed him and tacked him to a chunk of cork so he would stay up for the picture.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

Bonus Point (1 Point): Ashcans – Everyone relaxes in their own way and even if this guy is ready to riot he's never felt better.

Thanks for this! I had a lot of fun putting this guy together, so I am glad it was appreciated.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete

I painted up my overlords cleric, and went with a red theme to meet this month's challenge. I also sculpted him a festive spring of holly and a big bag of presents. Behold the angriest santa! :toot:

Now I know what you are thinking. Ashcans, what is hell is up with your basing? Why is there a big ugly plinth? Why is it standing in a jar lid? Did you drink too much eggnog? Well, the answer is that when I go festive, I go all in:

He was guarding the tree from anyone on the naughty list this morning:

Merry Christmas, Oathers!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

Oath Complete!

This looks rad but you aren't going to lure me into another game I never get to play! You won't!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath one Hordes Circle Ouroboros Winter Argus by Privateer Press

Late to the oath this month due to traveling and holidays, hopefully I can still knock this out.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete!

Hey turns out that painting white is still as much of a pain in the rear end as ever, but I did it so claiming the technical challenge for my dog:

Looking at the photos I'd really like to take another swing at the faces, I clearly missed on getting the details on eyes in properly, but I'm done painting white so sorry!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Red Shoe posted:

Oath complete!
Keeping it light this month.

Proteus, also my theme submission.

Meatsac

Aw man, you had to post this right after me? :( I don't even know what that guy is but he's rad as gently caress

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath 2 Grots (GW 28mm 40k models) for February!

I guess if I get these guys done quickly I could add a couple more for squad goals. I think that works, right? hm.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I don't know what those funny squid ships are from but the paintjobs people are putting on them are awesome.

Oath Complete!

Well, I only oathed a pair of grots this month, so here they are...

Wait a minute! Those aren't just any grots. That looks like Grot Cassidy and the Badmoon Kid, two of the infamous Wild Boyz raiders. Why those boys raided space lanes for years before they finally got chased off. They say that they finally chased them down to some dusty rock and they finally went down shooting, but some say a couple of them got clean away and the bodies were never fit for identification. You never know...

I am claiming the Jurnal because I got a little carried away with my basing and ended up building these guys a last-stand hacienda where they could go down shooting, old west style.

And just in case everyone isn't the sucker for old westerns that I am, I'll point out that I styled this on the final shootout from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, as framed in the movie poster:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath this scratch-build/heavily converted Ork Trukk for March
The components for this are from all over the place, it has some scraps from a 40k tank as well as a 1/35 scale half-track toy, plus a bunch of plasticard and scrap.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete!

I finished my trukk/tank creation. I wanted to do more stuff with the fire but I was hitting a skill wall and just stopped there.

The last thing that an unfortunate guardsmen/grot rebellion may see bearing down on them:

Bonus picture with it stuffed with Orks from the previous iteration of this thread. I really thought I would get more in there, but nope.

I am claiming the Jurnal on account of me having built the entire thing from parts of a WWII half-track, some leman russ pieces, and a bunch of plasticard. Including building the driver from bits and converting a grot into an impromptu gunner. :orks101:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath these 5 28mm Eldar miniatures (plus support weapon) for April

In the spirit of this month's jurnal, these figures were all originally produced for Rogue Trader, and go back as far as 1987 - three of them are actually from the period where the models all had individual names, rather than just being a specific troop/type. I'm planning on doubling down on the jurnal by giving them classic paint jobs as well. :toot:

Edit: I know the support weapon looks like it has some stuff on it - that's the remains of a previous paintjob that is particularly stubborn. It will be completely re-primed before painting, let me know if you need pictures of the post-prime model.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

Bonus Point (1 Point): - Ashcans

This is basically the theme challenge we all wanted to see.
Thanks a lot! I had a lot of fun with that guy, and he'll probably be a recurring visitor on our tree now. :)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete!

These are some old miniatures, 1987-1990, and I decided to honor them by painting them in the old GW style and copying the five original craftworld schemes in the 2ed codex. This reminded me of why I hated basing so much before I discovered flock!

And I'm pulling my year's work together here for All for One. Thanks thread for keeping me on task this past year and pushing me into some fun and challenging projects. Here's to Season 8!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I forgot to claim it in my complete post, but can I still get #SquadGoals for painting five Eldar guardians?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

Bonus Point (1 Point): - Ashcans

This is the first photo in the album and I thought something had happened to my monitor's colors. These remind me so much of looking through my friend's old Warham books and magazines. It was a color palette that only the models of yesteryear could pull off.

Thanks a lot, glad they achieved the nostalgia effect! They're sitting in my cabinet looking decidedly out of place from all my more modern pieces, but at least they're not relegated to storage now.

• Locked thread