Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
e: god drat it I misspelled headset in my title

Problem description: I bought a Logitech headset (audio + mic combo; only clarifying this because I've tried Googling and people seem to confuse headset with headphones) that comes with a standard audio plug, not USB. The headset works fine plugged into my iPhone, but plugging it into my computer the mic doesn't pick up anything at all.

Attempted fixes: These aren't my pictures:

1. Initially plugging in the headset (in the green port, in both my front and rear panels) did not recognize a mic being plugged in, just the audio portion. If I went to my recording devices it showed the mic not plugged in. I found some posts saying to tick off (set to disable) this setting in my Realtek HD Audio Manager from the control panel. Doing this made my computer recognize a mic was now plugged in. The headset also worked to play audio. Testing my mic in various programs including the built in speech setup utility (the one that makes you recite something about Peter... it was apparent that the mic wasn't picking up anything at all.

2. I went to my recording devices for the mic and enablged the gain to max (+30 dB) and also set the microphone level to 100. I also went to my playback devices and set the "microphone" levels to 100 as well. Testing the mic still produced no pickup.

3. In the microphone/recording devices thing under "enhancements" I played around with disabling all enhancements, to enabling various combinations of them. I only had the options for "noise suppression" and "acoustic echo cancellation," but no combination of these made the mic work.

4. If I test my mic in Mumble with +30 dB mic gain set in the recording devices system menu then Mumble starts picking up a feedback loop.

5. The above I've tested on both my front panel and rear panel.

Recent changes: Nope.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64bit

System specs: ASRock Z97M-ITX, 4690k. Realtek HD Audio drivers are the most up to date downloaded from ASRock. Right clicking to check audio drivers from Windows Update tells me there's no update. Couldn't get Realtek's website to actually load to check if they have an updated driver.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Any help would be great.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Does the headset have separate microphone and headphone plugs? If not it won't typically work with computers, which use separate jacks, unless you have a combined jack on your front panel.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Alereon posted:

Does the headset have separate microphone and headphone plugs? If not it won't typically work with computers, which use separate jacks, unless you have a combined jack on your front panel.

Thanks for fixing my stupidity :v:

The headset only has one audio plug, like your standard iPhone headsets but without an inline remote. I can understand if the front panel of my case doesn't support a headphone + mic combo plug but I'd find it really hard to believe the rear panel wouldn't? Also The Wirecutter's #1 recommended gaming headset is this one. That's not my headset but that one also comes with a single audio jack thing so I'd find it really hard to believe that they don't work for computers.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
The rear panel ports will almost certainly not take a headset. Computers use separate jacks for the microphone and headphones, which is why headsets for PC gamers use separate cables. The HyperX Cloud you linked uses two separate cables with an adapter to combine them for devices that need that. If you want to use your current headset you can buy a splitter adapter to allow that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Well that's a bummer. Guess I'll just return this thing and get a USB headset so I don't have to worry about adapters and dongles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Note that a USB headset will create an additional audio device that you'll need to set your games and applications to use.

E: To clarify, this is because a USB headset is basically a USB soundcard with the headphones/microphone permanently connected.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 2, 2016

• Locked thread