Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

snuff posted:

That we live in 2016 and that's just how the world works, accept it.

"Companies want to invade your life so you should just accept it" is a terrible argument to make.

admiraldennis posted:

What are the chances we will actually be able to pre-order the 1080 thing at MSRP and get it shipped May 27th?

How real are these launch dates?

I'm just building a new machine with a 980ti (nabbed one for $545), still within my return window for another week or so and fortunately have not clipped the UPC for rebate yet...

I'd send the 980ti back and wait a bit unless you have a burning need for it right now. Being patient for a couple weeks means getting a hell of a lot more power for roughly the same price. Hell you could send it back and buy a used 980ti for probably less than $300 because people with them are trying to dump theirs for the 10xx series.

ColHannibal posted:

Holy poo poo, I normally am not one to pine over new tech but I may be selling my 980ti to get a 1080.

Am I nuts? I run a 1440p 165hz monitor so I actually need the power.

Here's Doom running on ultra settings at 1080p using a GTX 1080:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueRjbYdcXbs

140+ FPS when they remove the 60fps cap, though you already have a 980ti and while the 1080 is awesome I don't get the need people have to grab a 1080 when they already have a card that's really good unless you're going to be doing 4k gaming or a bunch of VR stuff. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Purple D. Link posted:

I bought one like three weeks ago, after doing the same thing... :v: Well, it should still be good for 1080p for a long time right???

A 970 is going to run a lot of stuff at 1080p for years I'd imagine. You might not get 60+fps on ultra pretty 3482973092x AA settings but it'll be plenty. If I had a 970 I don't think I'd have cared about the 10xx release at all. Even having a 780 would've probably made me wait another year.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

dexefiend posted:

Status Update: ebay E5-2670s arrived and work fine. RAM works fine. ... but the motherboard has a busted RAM slot.

I can get 56 gigs to work as long as i leave a certain slot empty. If i put RAM in that slot it wont post and has the 'b7' code. (Asus Z9PA-D8).

Replacement on the way! Gg amazon!

What are you using that PC for that you need 64GB of RAM. :stare:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Heya guys, a continuation question from the last thread (and about 2 months ago now) but I was wondering if anyone knew of a place that lets you choose parts and then have them assemble it that is actually any good?

I think HP, Dell, and most other major PC companies have (expensive) build-a-pc options. Though if you're friends with your IT department at work you could always ask one of them for a hand. You wouldn't have a warranty but it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I didn't realize how cheap memory's been getting. Was looking around at possible components for a PC and saw 2x16gb of RAM for $95 dollars on Newegg. :stare:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Monitor thread made it sound like it was more along the lines of $700+ for a good 1440p...

Starting to sound like a GTX 1080 is not only out of my price range, but I'd actually be waiting an unknown amount of time for a non "Founders' Edition"?

$700 is a new 27" 1440p 144hz monitor with g-sync. Go with refurbs and you can find one for 400-500 if you're willing to play the "maybe send it back once or twice" game with Acer like with these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Predator-XB1-27-WQHD-Monitor-2560x1440-XB271HU-bmiprz-/262374672683?hash=item3d16bfc92b (newer model)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Display-27-144-Hz-2560x1440-WideSceen-LCD-Monitor-XB270HUBPRZ-/262441979198?hash=item3d1ac2cd3e

I'm holding off on getting a monitor until I have my computer stuff ordered but I'll probably try getting a refurbished XB 270 or 271 to use with the PC I'm going to build with a 1070 or 1080 depending on how the 1070's benchmarks look.

Basic 1440p monitors can be $200-250 new so if you don't care for high refresh rate, *-sync, or so on then it's not bad.

If I had to pick between a $400 monitor and $700 card, or $700 monitor and $400 card I'd go with the latter though since as mentioned earlier the monitor will still be good well after the card's obsolete.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Muttonchips posted:

Now that the 1080 is out, is it a good idea to wait a few more weeks for prices for graphics card prices to drop? I don't feel comfortable buying used graphics cards.

I play at 1920x1080, so I was thinking a 970 or 980 would be more than good enough for what i need. How much further are prices expected to drop and how long does it take usually?

Or wait another 2-3 weeks and get a 1070, which is at least as good as a Titan X, for $400.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Alright I need to stop procrastinating and actually start working on my next PC.

What country are you in? United States
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming primarily, some occasional office work.
What's your budget? $1500, $2000 if including a good 1440p monitor
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1920x1200 currently, looking at upgrading to 1440p, possible VR in the future.

This is the rough draft setup I have so far. I have a KB/M and can do a free upgrade to Windows 10 still. Case-wise I'm thinking of doing air intake via the fans w/filters since that'll keep the inside from turning in to a dust-filled mess (as quickly) compared to the usual "fans wherever, suck in air and everything else with it" setup my PCs have usually had. Any suggestions to make this better? I haven't kept fully up to date on cpus and memory but I know Samsung SSDs are still supposed to be fantastic.
I'm still a little torn between the 1070 and 1080 but I'm leaning towards the 1070 unless I can be convinced well otherwise (non-FEs I guess).

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($144.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.49 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: GTX 1070 $400
Optical Drive: ???
Total: $1193.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-08 20:34 EDT-0400

Optional: Monitor - Looking at something like an XB271HU for the monitor since it seems to be a pretty amazing display.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Here is an alternate build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($242.81 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.62 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 165Hz Monitor ($717.94 @ B&H)
Video Card: GTX 1070 ($420.00)
Total: $1922.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-08 20:56 EDT-0400

1) I changed the CPU cooler for a better one, just search Newegg for it and you will find it there.
2) I changed the motherboard for one that is about as good but cheaper.
3) I changed the PSU for a better one with a longer warranty.
4) I added an optical drive since it seems like you wanted one.
5) Lastly I added the XB271HU monitor since it should be perfect for your setup and budget.

There is some budget left to add some fans if you want. Also avoid SuperBiiz and OutletPC like the plague, they hide shipping charges and have been caught selling open box and used stuff as new.

Ordered the parts (used Amazon and Newegg, avoided those two you mentioned) but apparently that cooler gets shipped by the maker which is unfortunate since I'll be stuck waiting a few days for it. Gives me time to try my luck at getting a non-FE 1070 from MSI or EVGA I guess.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tim Jong-un posted:

Thank you very much for the help! $1154 is very much in the ballpark of what I wanted,any idea when the EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1070 will be out? It's not currently listed on Amazon.

When they'll be out and when you'll be able to get one is two entirely different things unless you manage to load a site like Newegg right as they get some in stock because they'll be gone in minutes. Newegg's page for the card only recently went up and god knows that the moment it has any to order they're going to get nailed by a lot of people when those alerts go out.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dazzo posted:

With these new video cards coming out I'm looking to do a full desktop rebuild. Please let me know if there are any suggested adjustments.

What country are you in? - USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? - Gaming
:words:

A 850W PSU seems like serious overkill for a single GPU. Especially since the 10-series has a low power draw. Wouldn't that setup work just fine with a 600-650W PSU or are you planning to get a 2nd card for SLI at some point?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

All parts are in for the PC except heatsink now (and GPU because goddamnit Nvidia). Newegg is selling the MSI 980ti for only $370 and it's really tempting. If it was EVGA I'd probably just get it and roll the dice on being able to trade up to a 1070 or 1080 in a month or so.

That monitor is 'only' $666 right now on Newegg. :devil:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

Wow yeah, isn't the 1TB 850 Evo the same price?

1TB EVO was about $315 when I ordered my 500GB one a few days ago, so they could've gotten one of those for the same amount of storage and saved a decent bit of money. Was almost tempted to get the 1TB SSD instead but I'll probably just either format an extra HDD I have from a prior PC or buy a new 1-2 TB HDD if/when I decide I want more internal storage than the SSD.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Lavender Philtrum posted:

It's a great monitor and I'm glad I got it, but keeping up with this thread has become kind of hilarious because every time AVeryLargeRadish posts a new build, there's a 50/50 chance there's gonna be _that_ monitor listed.

PC building megathread drinking game: Read the last 10 pages and take a shot every time AVeryLargeRadish recommends the Acer Predator bmiprz.

Mine just arrived today and even on my PC that'll be replaced in a few days it's amazing even though it's being limited to 120hz by a GTX 660. The monitor thread (and the rest of the internet) recommend the XB271 for good reason. :iia:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

With that setup I would try to get ahold of a GTX 1070, it will give you the ~144 FPS performance you are looking for at 1080. It will be hard to find one because they just came out and are selling out right away but there are shipments coming in at Newegg occasionally.

I'll just say anyone wanting a 1070 should read the last half dozen or so pages in the GPU thread since all the info about camping newegg/twitter and setting up alerts has been posted a few times there and you can also get a good idea at what you're in store for. A handful of people managed to grab 1070s earlier today on newegg so with luck (and :f5:ing pages right before they're suppose to get new stock) it's definitely possible.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Goddamn the CRYORIG cooler is huge. I'm sure (hoping) it'll fit just fine in the R5 case with everything else but lord this thing seems massive. I guess the paste ot comes with is fine. I don't have a tube of artic silver or w/e lying around.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 18, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

What're some good HDDs these days? I was going to format a 1TB I have and use it as extra storage in the PC I'm about to build but I was wondering if it'd just be better to buy a new1-2TB drive instead of using one that's probably 5-6 years old, though I don't think I ever had issues with it when I was using it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

New PC is up and running (minus the 1070 which arrives Tuesday) and the machine is just dead silent. I have to pretty much put my ear to the case to hear any of the fans running.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

whats_his_face posted:

That monitor looks pretty badass! I might have to splurge the extra money even though my wallet will hate me.

It's an incredible monitor. If you don't mind waiting you can try for a refurb or pray you can catch a good sale on a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ryuga Death posted:

My current machine is:

i5-4570
16gb ram
MSI GTX 970
Asrock B85M Pro4 mobo

I play games at 1080p and was wondering if the GTX 1070 was worth getting once it's easier to get (I know that may take a while). I don't really know too much about the power difference between GPUs but I've heard, from hearsay, that the 1070 is really strong.

I honestly wouldn't upgrade from a 970 to a 1070. Yes the 1070's a nice card but do you really want to drop $450 or so that small gain?