Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Captain Yossarian posted:

I don't game a ton on my PC anymore, but I like to keep current, especially if it's something I can't get on console. That being said, what would be a reasonable upgrade to my gtx 970? I'm on 1080p for the foreseeable future, but I suppose I could always get a big tax return or bonus from work and build a whole new rig...

At 1080p, you could go for a RX 480, or a GTX 1060, for a mild performance boost and DX12/Vulkan support. But I'd advise against it, as a 970 is still good for almost anything at 1080p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

illestG posted:

I just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone had any suggestions. Last week, I managed to back up all my stuff and reformat my hard drive with a fresh copy of Window 7. Before that, my computer was so slow I could hardly surf the web. Now I'm back to playing Half Life 2 Death Match. It's like a brand new computer again. So I was wondering, with my current specs, what would make sense to upgrade? I legitimately have no idea about the current hardware game, so I was wondering if one of you nice folks could point me in some sort of direction.
Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
CPU: Core2duo e8400 @ 3GHz
GPU: Radeon HD 4850
2 gigs of ram

To be frank, everything you have is super ancient and, budget permitting, should opt for a totally new build.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

logikv9 posted:

Heyo thread. Finally getting around to upgrading my motherboard / CPU, because otherwise I'm still running my i7 920 from 2008-2009 :eyepop:

I have a semi-modern GPU and PSU with SSD so assume that I'll just use my old ones. The most strenuous thing that will be done on this computer is gaming on 2560×1440.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.64 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($37.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($224.97 @ Jet)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 6TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($212.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $828.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-04 12:22 EST-0500

I haven't done much in terms of choosing parts since that original build nearly 10 years ago, outside of recommending a part or two with friends. I know right now with Kaby Lake I'm on the bleeding edge(tm) so generally I want to make sure all my parts work together well enough.

If you're just gaming, you can definitely drop down to 16GB of DDR4-3000.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Right now? No. Buttcoiners have spiralled GPU prices into the goddamned stratosphere, and while it's certainly possible to get a 1060 now for MSRP, you pretty much have to get lucky or stab someone who's camping out in your local electronics store since he's got Skippy the Stock Boy on his payroll. Also, RAM prices are at a high-water mark at the moment, and the DRAM producers seem to be enjoying the spoils of that, so prices aren't set to go down until sometime in 2018. Lastly, Intel's panic at AMD finally putting out something that in its second revision could prove to be something that's a credible threat to them means we're going to see consumer-focused six-core processors sooner rather than later, but this means the Z270 board will be the singlemost short-lived, least-upgradable chipset platform I think Intel's ever put out, unless the rumor is true that Coffee Lake will use Z370 and Cannonlake will use Z390.

But since a picture tells the story better than :words:, here's why it's really hard to put together a custom system right now:

:eyepop:

Is it just 1060s/1070s that are being hoarded, or 1080Tis too? I'm thinking of upgrading my system later this year.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

ASUS and ASRock are generally good regardless. Gigabyte and MSI have too many horror stories about support and Gigabyte in particular about cutting corners on build quality for me to suggest them in anything other than a "build for bottom dollar" build, and even there ASRock generally has them beat on price, quality, and board support.

The only product I'd recommend of Gigabyte's are their laptops, and that's only because they don't build them, they just support them.

I've never heard anything bad about MSI's support, while I've heard tons of bad things about ASUS'.

Though I can also vouch for ASRock. EVGA is also making motherboards now too, and though I don't know how good the boards themselves are, EVGA's customer support is top-notch.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I have this monitor, is the 1080 GTX still the end all for maxing out 1080p? I'm away from home and can't remember which CPU I have, though I know it's an LGA1150 i5 of some kind, and I'm running a 970 GTX. Is there a cheaper solution than the 1080 GTX for ensuring 144+ FPS at all times?

Edit: I believe it is i5-4670k or i5-4690k. I bought a CPU that could be overclocked but not a mobo that could as the CPU was on sale.

At 1080p 144Hz, a GTX 1070 will be enough for the foreseeable future.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I usually go for ASUS, have any other brands gone up in quality?

ASUS, MSI, and EVGA are the usual suspects and are still all good. Zotac has also made some good offerings in the past couple years.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It should also be noted that that's the Cryorig H7, the smaller of their three tower-style HSFs. Only the M9 unit is smaller

Now imagine putting it on top of a tiny mini-ITX motherboard like I did. :shepface:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Are there any cases out there with particularly exceptional dust filtering?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Didn't Alan Wake have support for 8-core CPUs way back when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

orange juche posted:

There really isn't a wealth of SFF options in that particular form factor (horizontal A/V receiver style) I can think of perhaps 2-3 cases total that would work.

However, if Dizzybum wanted to consider a mini ITX tower, there's some REALLY pretty ITX towers out there. If a Mini ITX tower is an option, there's a massive amount of possible cases out there.

https://www.bitfenix.com/products/chassis/mini-itx/prodigy/

This is in my opinion one of the most attractive mini ITX towers to build in, great airflow too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZXDgjVY_EI
Review for white version but it's the same except with a mesh front panel.

E: drat hardware canucks tried to stuff a triple slot graphics card in an ITX case :facepalm: and a 1000w PSU. I don't think they are the best guys for ITX case reviews.

I have this case, and yeah it's real sharp looking and pretty quiet, but it's pretty big for an mITX case and the airflow isn't as good as it looks because there's practically no cable management.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 30, 2019