Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

xthetenth posted:

If the money matters to you, the 480 will likely be a solid pick. The 4/8 GB difference may make a difference in the long run, especially if you don't want to play with settings, but it may be a decent place to save a bit of money considering some of the cards it performs even with (970, 980, 290, 290X) are 4 GB cards.

8GB vs 4GB RX 480 is a no-brainer choice for the former. The difference is only $30 for a part with a useful life of like 2 years? Don't be penny-wise, pound-foolish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Quite A Tool posted:

What country are you in? 'Merica

What are you using the system for? Gaming and web browsing, future use includes poo poo like MATLAB

Budget: Preferably sub $800 before a monitor, $800'ish after a decent monitor would be incredible.

Resolution: I'd like to do some Overwatch at 1080p/60fps on high-ish settings if possible, and Witcher 3 better than my PS4, beyond that I'm probably playing games a few years older so I don't really need to over do it.

I haven't built a PC in years so I'm basically running off the thread recommendations, but my main goals are keeping the whole thing small, wifi capable and sub $800 bucks before a monitor. I'd appreciate any advice on hitting these goals as I've already managed to blow out the budget by $100. I overwrote Superbiiz because I've heard there were some issues ordering from them (shipping?) and am using Amazon as much as possible due to extra cash-back from Discover + I have Prime. Monitor suggestions are welcome, too!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($38.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.48 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($36.00 @ B&H)
Total: $916.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-05 21:12 EDT-0400

Availability is a bitch but grab a ~$250 1060 if you can find one.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
SLI has a suspect future anyway when game support is getting worse and Nvidia themselves are already downplaying it. Wouldn't bother picking a mobo just for it.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 8, 2016

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
http://ark.intel.com/products/97143/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G4560-3M-Cache-3_50-GHz

All hail your new $64 budget CPU overlord.

Oh and BTW the 7700K boosts to 4.4GHz on all cores.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ideally he'd want a Z68 "Gen3" or Z77 board so he could take advantage of PCIe 3.0 (even though it doesn't really offer much of a benefit over 2.0 at the moment). The only place you're going to find that is by playing the eBay lottery, though. Here's one that isn't exorbitantly priced: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Mother...u4AAOSwUKxYZ0Fm

If it wouldn't break you, you could basically refresh your entire system for ~$750 if you have a Micro Center nearby. I initially put $500 in there until I remembered 6GB 1060s are ~$250-275 now.

If anything, this gives me a semi-decent idea...when us Sandy/Ivy Bridgers decide to trade up, we should advertise our Z68s/Z77s in here for fair-trade prices to people who might have the wrong setup but don't want to pay $200 for a dead-end board. I'd rather sell to a goon for ~$75 than put it up for $200 on eBay and have to wait months-to-infinity for it to sell.

If I'm him, I will sell The 3570K and non-Z mobo for $150, then get a brand new G4560 and a budget DDR3 Skylake mobo for more or less the same price. It's a sidegrade but at least it opens a upgrade path to a 7700K with warranty to boot while waiting for whatever CPU price war AMD brings later this year. Paying the $100 lottery for a 5-year old used Z-board when the better alternative exists seems silly.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 4, 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

IMO this is way better for the same money:
7700K = $340
MSI H110i PRO-AC = $85
RX470 4GB = $170

You won't be able to use DDR4 over 2133 speeds, but you get a far higher clocked 4.4GHz all-core Turbo CPU with HT that doesn't need any OC at all that stomps the i5 and a GPU that is just a tad slower than a 1060 6GB.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 23, 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Geburan posted:

My laptop abruptly melted and I need a new system quickly. I do some gaming but don't require crazy settings. 1080p is fine. I no longer require the mobility of a laptop.

In terms of just getting started on my search, is logicalincrements.com a mostly up to date and reasonable starting point? I also see Dell is having a sale and am trying to gauge if it is worth building my own from scratch or tweaking a pre-built.

I'd like to keep total budget under $1k USD, but need a monitor in that total as well.

With my computer down, I'm trying to do a lot of this on my phone.

Thanks!

There were people in the Intel thread nabbing entire Ivy bridge i5 quads + 80GB SSDs refurb desktops for ~$120 (preferably the full tower form factor). Add in a regular or low profile 1050 Ti into there and there is simply nothing that will remotely match this in performance/price.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BIG HEADLINE posted:

We also recommend the Cryorig H7: https://www.amazon.com/CRYORIG-Tower-Cooler-Intel-CPUs/dp/B00S7YA5FQ

It's a bit more expensive, but it's better-engineered than the Hyper 212 EVO. In both cases, look up the vertical clearance necessary to fit them and ensure there's room in your case first.

The 212 cooler is like the Arctic Silver 5 of thermal paste: people still keep recommending them even long after better alternatives exist at similar pricing.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

So should I buy this 7600k or not :colbert:

When the next i3 is rumored to just as fast as a 7700K and much cheaper, why would you do so?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

NovaLion posted:

I'm building a new pc to wear a lot of different hats. How's this looking for recording/editing purposes? I also like to fail miserably at the occasional game.

Quick edit: In general I need it to be as quiet as possible. Silence obviously isn't a concern when I'm just gaming.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($306.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler ($199.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - Z270 GAMING M7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($201.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($118.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($549.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 Blackout Edition w/ Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2057.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-21 03:36 EDT-0400

Ryzen 1600 or 1700 non-X + B350 mobo is a better and much cheaper option for your needs, but you have to do some homework to buy DDR4-3000/3200 that is able to run at such speeds with Ryzen to get the most performance out of the CPU. There is no reason to for anybody to even think about buying Intel until Coffee Lake arrives.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

mellowjournalism posted:

Dammit someone sell me a Sandy bridge or newer because I was so hyped to finally replace my processor this week but it looks like it'll be another few months. I just need any old used chip because my decrepit i7 870 is a champ with VR (who'da thunk?) but it can't run Onward without making GBS threads the bed. Don't really need much more power to the engines, just a liiittle more to keep up.

Any recommendations on what would be a good generation/price to shoot for in the second-hand market? Is there a new and cool place to look for used computer bits besides ebay/SA-Mart?

3rd gen i5s.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Munkeymon posted:

Is PC Power & Cooling still a good brand? I've got a ten year old power supply from them and, aside from needing adapters for SATA drives, still works fine as long as I only want one graphics card, but it's not modular, so there's a massive cable bundle zip tied up in a corner which is not so bad in my giant old case but I'm getting a more reasonable-sized one this time. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NCH323/pc-power--cooling-power-supply-ppcmk3s750 looks like it would keep cable clutter down.

Nobody even cares about their brand anymore, eVGA PSUs based on Seasonic and Superflower designs are the new overlords.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SuperTeeJay posted:

Sound/headphones chat:

I'm using a Hyper X Cloud II for gaming/Discord but I want to switch to an open-back pair and Amazon UK is currently selling the Philips Fidelio X2 headphones for £130 (a bargain compared to its usual price here). How is onboard audio in new/modern boards? My mobo is ancient and I'll be replacing it after the 8700k launches.

Just stick with onboard + 48KHz sampling rates. There is so much placebo-laden bullshit surrounding the myth of "onboard audio = must be bad" I don't even know where to start.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ughhhh posted:

no, i was using a mobo (z97 chipset) with ddr3 1600 2x4gb ram and while cleaning my basement found a set of ddr3 1333 2x6gb ram. I dont really need an upgrade, but just wanted to ask which of the numbers were better to have more of (mhz or GB). Might as well just keep things the same, because i am too lazy to open the pc and replace the ram anyways.

Do you mean 2x8GB? I'm pretty sure 6GB sticks dont exist. The 2x8GB is also better, you get twice the RAM and virtually all DDR3-1333 after Sandy Bridge will hit 1600 speeds without issues. 8GB of total RAM is cutting rough at this point, 16GB is a much more comfortable place to be at.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Struensee posted:

You were exactly the guy I was hoping to hear from. What kind of use cases would push you to recommend the 8600K vs the 8700K?

Unlocked i5s are no longer attractive; the paltry price savings over the i7s is penny-wise pound-foolish wise when this new gen of chips are gonna be viable for like 5 years. It's either 8700 non-K running with or without multicore enhancement, or the K for very slightly more OC and e-peen factor.

Pair either with Z370 + DDR4-3200+.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Odobenidae posted:

Thinking of getting another 8gb of RAM but I just looked and what the gently caress now it's twice as expensive as when I built my PC 2 years ago. I get that it's canadian monopoly money but why on earth does 2x4gb of RAM cost over $100 now?

Semiconductor die shrinks are getting harder and more expensive and production is shifting towards mobile sector, Ryzen and CFL finally made people care about DDR4 and of course the good old DRAM oligopoly price fixing.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Eletriarnation posted:

e: The point was less about denying that the 8350K is an upgrade (because I'm not, it is noticeably better) anyway and more about questioning why you'd bother if you already have a good quad and hexcores are a thing now. Someone who wanted what is effectively a 6600K could have bought it a long time ago.

All the 8350K at $180 is to make the 8400 and 8700NK look like a steal.

it's the second coming of the wildly overrated G3258 "ZOMG EASY OVERCLOCKING" while ignoring a stock Haswell i3 at $40 more is getting almost 2x FPS in GTA5 despite even with a 1.2GHz clock deficit.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

It's an i5 4690 3.50GHz and my googling appears to be weak today, so can't seem to find a definitive answer on whether it's a k-series. I don't think it is.

A bit surprised on having to ebay for the board - is going for something like this a bad idea? https://www.ebuyer.com/546303-asus-h81-plus-socket-1150-8-channel-hd-audio-atx-motherboard-h81-plus

I bought my Asus H81i mobo sometime in Aug 2014 and it works out of the box with my 4790K, so there is an overwhelmingly good chance a brand new one now will work with yours.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Bubbacub posted:

Huh, mine too. If it weren't dying, I'd probably be fine with keeping it around. The slow upgrade cycles on current hardware seem strange compared to the Celeron 300A days.

I bought a Lenovo i5-3470 refurb, added DDR3 to 8GB + old 840 Evo and I was like holy poo poo this still feels blazing fast.

The only truly new stuff I bought this year is a $110 Benq GW2470H AMVA+ since my 6 year U2311H is starting to leak backlight at the upper corners and I'm kinda sick of the 1000:1 contrast ratio and typical glow of IPS panels that never seems to get improved forever.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zigmidge posted:

Stressful? Man I find it to be so relaxing. I've been lurking this thread for a few months now because I'm working out the budgeting and timing for a new build and it's been fun picturing myself building all the systems people post.

I dunno man, I'm 15 years into this thing and it feels like a chore.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

lapse posted:

It's time for an upgrade... I have been using this computer since Reagan was president and men were free. I have decent monitors that are only a few years old 2 x 27" @ 1080p but everything else is garbage from 2011.

Looking to catch up on some games that have been on my list but I couldn't run. Witcher 3, Deus Ex, Dark Souls 3, and uhhh, those are actually the only ones I can think of right now that probably use a lot of resources. But hopefully a few years of new stuff also.

Let me know if I am doing anything stupid here like skimping on something I shouldn't, picking a trash brand or bottle-necking anything major. Budget isn't really a concern, I could go + $250 if there is something worthwhile to upgrade. Overclocking... I haven't done it in forever, but wanted to keep the option open, in case I ever decide to explore that... Can the MB I picked do that? Better choices with this in mind?

A 8700K + ~$120 Z370 board is almost always a better choice. I would swap the 500GB 960 EVO for a SATA 1TB 850 Evo too, there is zero real world speed difference between the two in gaming. I would also grab a Seasonic Focus Plus 550W to 750W which is more expensive but it's also a better quality unit and has a 10 year warranty.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Too bad nobody let goes of their IVB and later i7-Ks at any reasonable prices

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Krycek posted:

I'm looking to build a new machine between now and the first of the year. CPU is my hold-up as I was looking to snag an 8700k on release, but it didn't happen. I figure I have 3 options: 1) buy now and get a ryzen instead, 2) keep stalking newegg until I get lucky or 3) wait for the next-best-thing from Intel, whenever that might be.

Secondary question, what's the latest hotness in SSDs? I saw something called m.2, looks like it fits in a PCIe slot? Is there an advantage over SATA? Apologies for newb questions, I haven't kept up with pc parts for awhile. How do most gamers setup\partition their drives these days?

The M.2 interface is one of the most confusing interface seen for a long time (because some dumbass designer decided it needed to support an utterly pointless SATA mode). The tl;dr version is if you want to use M.2, you want your motherboard M.2 slot and your M.2 SSD to support NVMe and avoid the M.2 SATA drives like a plague. Even then a NVMe drive isn't really worth the ~50% price premium over regular cabled SATA3 version of equivalent GB size if you are not going to do disk-intensive productivity work.

My M550 1TB goes like 200GB for Win10 system partition and rest of it in another separate partition for games.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 27, 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KingKapalone posted:

I game at 1440p with a 1070. I have an i5-4670k. Is this new generation of CPUs THE ONE to upgrade to?

If you can't feel any slowness yet, it's always best to wait some more.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pretty much, but it's not like it's real hard to overclock these days either. Even if you literally don't do anything except bump the voltage up and set the multiplier you will probably get at least 4.7-4.8 GHz all-core. All-core is a big improvement over single-core turbo.

On one hand, core components rarely go on deep discounts on Black Friday anymore. On the other hand, Pascal is on the way out and NVIDIA/partners might be looking to clear inventories here.

From what I can tell, PC stuff rarely gets discounts anymore and even if they do the savings are meager at best. The best time to buy next-gen anything is ASAP after the scalping dies down.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Drop the hideously expensive $250 mobo and you will and can get the 1080 Ti, it's a no brainer.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10706/market-trends-q2-2016-ssd-shipments-up-41-percent-yoy

To show how insignificant consumer SSD demand are, I pulled some recent SSD shipment data out of my rear end: ~30M SSDs at 278 GB each on average in Q2 2016.

Iphone alone are a 50M at probably 64GB each on average in that quarter, and that's not even including a single Android device at like ~5x the volume of iPhones.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

GobiasIndustries posted:

My old pc, Phenom X2 processor I think, randomly powered off today. I opened the case up and it appears the fan on the processors heatsink is dying, it isn’t spinning fast at all and sometimes doesn’t spin at all. Computer is currently off. I’m not in a position to get a whole new pc, is replacing just the fan possible?

From my google-fu your stock HSF is probably using an 80mm fan. The depth of the new one doesn't really matter as long as it has a 3-pin connector, but the noise it's gonna be pretty noticeable and the overall cooling performance is subpar compared to modern 120mm fan tower coolers like the Cryorig H7, so I would recommend the latter and since you can carry that over to a new build. You can probably look at a cheap upgrade with a used Phenom II X4 955 and it's beefier stock cooler combo if you want.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 8, 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Thoughts? A few years ago Seasonic was one of the best PSU makers, is that still the case?

That PSU is hands down the best one in terms of value at the moment thanks to the 10 year warranty.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Khablam posted:

You can also not void your warranty, and care a little less about temperatures.
You might maybe (i.e., mostly you won't) get another 100Mhz on a de-lidded CPU vs not, and/or a few C temperature difference, that'll never be a meaningful difference vis-a-vis lifespan.

For that, you lose your warranty and have a decent chance at breaking it.

You should never be budgeting around something like that, it's exclusively for bleeding edge overclocks from hobbiest overclockers.

The adage of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"

Snowdog79 posted:

Appreciate it!

Grab the 850W Seasonic Focus Plus for 90 bucks in the Brazilian Rainforest.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ughhhh posted:

The ram is nearly as expensive as the gpu these days. Oh god...

I totally lucked out in 32GB DDR4 3200 for $220 in Feb 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

by.a.teammate posted:

I want to upgrade my i5 sandy bridge to the latest coffee lake but I saw on rps that it's be best to wait a few months for prices to drop (motherboard prices i assume? ) How much cheaper are things realistically gonna get?

For high demand parts, the rule is you should buy them ASAP as soon as it reaches near MSRP, since the prices of those are very stable over time after the scalping period, and also because time is also money.

E.g My GTX 1070 was about $80 more expensive in june last year than now, but keep in mind that also meant I'm enjoying it for 1.5 years earlier than if I bought it today.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I'm gonna buy DDR4 the moment it hits <$5/GB again even it I had zero use for it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zigmidge posted:

What do the colour highlights mean?

It means your 8700K is a super slow POS because you can only do 4.6GHz all cores on a low end board, according to the dick waving contestants over at OC.net.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Gothmog1065 posted:

Alright goons, tear it apart! If we can do less that would always be great, but I think anything below this is to get a Dell mentioned above (though this isn't terrible including a monitor).

What country are you in? 'Murrica!
What are you using the system for? Basic web browsing, Facebook games, basically something that doesn't take 5 minutes (literally) to load the lovely Centurylink webmail.
What's your budget? Less is more! $600 tops probably for this particular usage.

CPU: Intel - Core i3-7100 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B250I PRO Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($92.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master - Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone - 300W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($109.00 @ Amazon)
Monitor: HP - 22cwa 21.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $660.94

I did Amazon because reasons (prime!), and might have to substitute items (looks like potentially the SSD).

e: updated so most everything should be from Amazon.
e2: permalink because lazy: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PxXGsJ

If I were you I would just look for a <$200 i5-3470 refurb and put a SSD in.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Gothmog1065 posted:

So something along the lines of this with the Monitor and SSD?

Yeah something like that. Try to get a Dell/HP/Lenovo with the best balance of specs/$, or even better get one with a tower form factor if possbile so you have the option to put in a full size GPU later if you need it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

eli4672 posted:

Ok, I'm almost ready to buy parts for my mini-itx build. I realised I've been dreaming of a mini-itx build for too long to skip having a funky case, but I tried to bring the CPU and graphics card into balance for VR gaming. I am still a little worried about heat, but I'm hoping the Ryzen 1500x won't overwhelm the cases ventilation and I picked a graphics card with a blower to avoid having it dump heat into the case. Worst case scenario, the case gets too hot, temperatures suck and I buy the biggest cpu water cooler with 120mm radiator I can to fix it.

What do you think?

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B350-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($199.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($289.00 @ Shopping Express)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($295.00 @ Shopping Express)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Turbo Video Card ($389.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Case: BitFenix - Portal (White/Windowed) Mini ITX Tower Case ($209.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($118.00 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $1738.00

Not even sure what's a 4C/8T CPU doing on a $200 mobo.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
NVME is utterly overrated and useless for general and gaming tasks.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I should really sell my 1070 now while the demand's high, huh? I don't really do any PC gaming anymore. Haven't for a while. For games I've just been using my PS4 Pro exclusively.

I'm surprised by how little GPU demanding games I touched on my 1070 over the past 1.5 years while I'm increasingly watching all those let's play videos on my PC.

I think I logged more gaming hours on my phones/3DS/Switch than on my PC too.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
As I like to say in this thread: Refurbs, refurbs and refurbs for that sort of usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Don't even consider anything Intel earlier or slower than a i5-8400. You also probably don't need that overrated Noctua cooler anyway, just use the included stock 8400 cooler.