Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Randaconda posted:

So, I have an Dell Optiplex 960 minitower, and was gifted a GTX 1050ti mini graphics card. It doesn't quite fit, but I think it will if I take off the plastic face plate. Would that render it worthless?

It shouldn't as long as it's just the plastic part coming off. Underneath that is the metal heatsink, and as long as the fan stays in tact to it, I don't see why you *need* the plastic part. Seems it's just for aesthetics. Just keep an eye on your temps, but they should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Quick question with RAM, i've got a new i5-8400 on the way but I need RAM, sadly finding 8GB of sub £100 DDR4 3000mhz RAM is hard, does it matter if the clock speed is below 3000mhz? I'm just playing games if that matters.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

by.a.teammate posted:

Quick question with RAM, i've got a new i5-8400 on the way but I need RAM, sadly finding 8GB of sub £100 DDR4 3000mhz RAM is hard, does it matter if the clock speed is below 3000mhz? I'm just playing games if that matters.

It doesn't have a huge impact, but it's there. You're unlikely to find huge savings going below 3000MHz, but you can try one or two steps down if you want. 2666MHz is the "standard" rate for Coffee Lake, anything above that is technically overclocking.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Primarily gaming, with some video editing
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. ~3k with monitor
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I'd like to hit 1440p as fast as possible. I'm okay with turning settings down.

I've got a big christmas bonus coming in, and want to treat myself to a new gaming rig. I want to build around the 1440p 144hz monitor, and everyone I talk to seems to says I need a 1080ti. Is there anything I'm missing on this build?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($404.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING (WI-FI AC) Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($386.86 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($289.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 Video Card ($769.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.11 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($92.99 @ B&H)
Monitor: Acer - XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor ($799.99 @ B&H)
Total: $3137.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-18 14:31 EST-0500

mrking fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 18, 2017

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
For a high end build like that you can probably afford to step up the CPU cooler to something like a D15S or a 240/280mm liquid cooler. Though a lot of large tower coolers like the regular D15 block the first PCIe slot, which happens to be the graphics card slot on most mATX boards like this one.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Wasn't quite sure where to put this, but what is the current recommended AV of choice?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Etrips posted:

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, but what is the current recommended AV of choice?

Just use Windows Defender. Everything else makes your system less secure, not better.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

mrking posted:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Primarily gaming, with some video editing
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. ~3k with monitor
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I'd like to hit 1440p as fast as possible. I'm okay with turning settings down.

I've got a big christmas bonus coming in, and want to treat myself to a new gaming rig. I want to build around the 1440p 144hz monitor, and everyone I talk to seems to says I need a 1080ti. Is there anything I'm missing on this build?

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($404.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING (WI-FI AC) Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($386.86 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($289.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 Video Card ($769.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.11 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($92.99 @ B&H)
Monitor: Acer - XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor ($799.99 @ B&H)
Total: $3137.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-18 14:31 EST-0500

You kinda need a 1080Ti for 4k, but for 1440p it's mostly overkill - a regular 1080 should be perfectly fine, especially if you don't insist on ultra high graphics settings. I don't play many AAA titles myself and you should look up benchmarks for your favorite games if you're uncertain (a quick glance says a 1080 should do 90-100fps or more at 1440p and highest settings in most modern titles). Anecdotally, I have a 1080 myself (one of Asus' overclocked variants that I added another 100MHz to with MSI Afterburner, nothing particularly special though) and it easily manages Witcher 3 on ultra settings at 60fps at 1440p (I only have a 60Hz monitor so it seems capped to 60fps), or a very playable 40-50fps at 4k on high/very high settings. I haven't pulled the trigger on most of my own upgrade just yet so that's with my now five years old i5-3570K, too.

Other than that, as already mentioned, if you wanna overclock that CPU you should probably spend a bit more on the cooler.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 19, 2017

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Depending on how loose that tilde means of an "about", you could A) keep the 1080 Ti but B) stretch your monitor budget a cpl extra hundred bucks and get that Dell AW3418DW ultra-wide panel, and then absolutely that Ti card will help fill all those 3440x1440 pixels. Just an option. :D

Catullus
Oct 1, 2003

What country are you in? Norway (so disregard prices :( )
What are you using the system for? Mainly gaming (Overwatch, random AAA-titles)
What's your budget? unlimited within reason, not buying the new Titan etc. Already have monitor.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1440p@144hz, aiming for high FPS 250~ to avoid input lag when g-sync kicks in.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($404.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($194.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($214.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($297.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($789.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($152.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ B&H)

Sanity check on this one? The power supply chosen is "old", but had an unopened one lying around.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Cross-posting from the GPU thread, apologies if this is bad etiquette:

Since I want a GTX 1080 by New Year's, the store I'm ordering from offered me a choice between a Zotac Mini and a MSI Aero OC as a replacement for the one I ordered.

I know that the Zotac are bottom of the barrel stuff, is there anything bad about the MSI that I should reject it for? I understand blower cards don't have an 'off' mode, are they quiet enough while on stand-by?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'd like to upgrade from 8 gigs of RAM and a 3570k to 16 gigs & a 8700 or 8700k. I'm not in a tremendous hurry, but does it look like RAM prices are going to go down to reasonable anytime soon? I'd rather not spend 200+ on RAM if I don't have to.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
No, all the ram production is being used for phones/tablets/ssds etc. Crazy how expensive its gotten. I bought 8 gigs of new corsair DDR3 last summer for $34.

Samsung is apparently ramping up production Q1, 2018. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes until summer for prices to come down though

jeff8472 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 19, 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I'm gonna buy DDR4 the moment it hits <$5/GB again even it I had zero use for it.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
There was a deal on 16gb DDR4 for $120 a while back and I bought two because why not. 32gb baby!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

Tiger direct cancelled my order without even an email. :(

I got a response:

quote:

Dear Customer,

Over the weekend, we experienced a technical error on tigerdirect.com that caused some items on our website to show with incorrect pricing.

We have worked quickly to resolve this problem. Unfortunately, given the multiple instances of wide discrepancies, we have been forced to cancel your order.

We apologize for the confusion and inconvenience this may have caused, and would like to offer you a $10 discount* off of your next order of $100 or more!

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Yea I got the same one. I guess it's something, I had no expectation they would honor it but would've been cool.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I assume I can transfer the 10 dollar claim URL. anyone want it?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Given a few recent discounts on parts I've been able to bring the cost of my build far enough below budget that I'm considering upgrading my storage option. What are the pros/cons between the choices of:

$110 250GB M.2 960 EVO
$115 500GB 850 EVO

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

Given a few recent discounts on parts I've been able to bring the cost of my build far enough below budget that I'm considering upgrading my storage option. What are the pros/cons between the choices of:

$110 250GB M.2 960 EVO
$115 500GB 850 EVO
If you’re a gamer get the 850 Evo. The extra speed from the 960 is only worth the trade off (and is only used for) large video editing projects, databases, or scientific projects.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

If PC part picker says watts are are 310, would a 450 be big enough if you're not planning on doing an overclock?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
You want to be at about half of your capacity at load because you'll be right in the middle of the efficiency curve. I'd go for a 550 or 650 watt PSU.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Catullus posted:

What country are you in? Norway (so disregard prices :( )
What are you using the system for? Mainly gaming (Overwatch, random AAA-titles)
What's your budget? unlimited within reason, not buying the new Titan etc. Already have monitor.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1440p@144hz, aiming for high FPS 250~ to avoid input lag when g-sync kicks in.

CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($194.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($214.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($789.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($152.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ B&H)

Sanity check on this one? The power supply chosen is "old", but had an unopened one lying around.

Looking good.

Only thing I can conceivably come up with: if you're planning to delid the CPU, go all out on the overclocking and run heavy CPU loads at max clock for extended periods of time (as in, a week straight or more), the Strix-F motherboard is maybe a bit underdimensioned as far as voltage regulation goes and you might want something like the Asrock Z370 Taichi instead (or the Asus Maximus X Hero if you want to stick with Asus). If you're just gonna game at 5GHz, no worries, the Strix-F is perfectly good.

Reposting the VRM chart just in case some potential overclocker hadn't seen it yet:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
What do the colour highlights mean?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Catullus posted:

Do you need 1.5TB of storage? I would rather get a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO and get rid off the spinner drive.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

GutBomb posted:

You want to be at about half of your capacity at load because you'll be right in the middle of the efficiency curve. I'd go for a 550 or 650 watt PSU.

Eh... the efficiency curve isn't a bell curve and this isn't a big deal except <20% or >90%, you're talking about a few percent difference if that much in efficiency between 50% and 75% load on most supplies. 450 is a fine pick for a system that will never break 310, especially considering that it's not going to be pegged all the way up at 100% load all the time. The biggest issue with small supplies is just trying to find one that isn't also a cheap piece of poo poo, at least in ATX.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 19, 2017

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Zigmidge posted:

Dunno. There's a lot of words in the overclock.net thread if you want to dig into that. Keep in mind though that this chart is for a 336 hour AVX2 workload. Even bottom tier boards (anything in the red part of the chart) can be stable at 5.0GHz if you have a good enough 8700K that doesn't require a particularly high voltage, but they have pretty restrictive current limitations to the point where it's a limiting factor on even a decently overclockable CPU. Having only 4 PWM phases can also lead to thermal throttling of the VRM's even if the CPU is fine thermally speaking, as well as weird intermittent stability issues caused by voltage over/undershoots when clocking up and down. Realistically speaking anything with 8 phases is fine for any air cooled overclocking on a gaming PC, but if you do heavy workloads for long stretches of time you might want overdimensioned and decently cooled VRM's just to be sure they'll last the lifetime of the CPU. Asrock's 10-phase stuff is hilariously overdimensioned, but the Taichi is almost 70 euro cheaper than the Asus Hero here.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 19, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

NihilCredo posted:

Cross-posting from the GPU thread, apologies if this is bad etiquette:

Since I want a GTX 1080 by New Year's, the store I'm ordering from offered me a choice between a Zotac Mini and a MSI Aero OC as a replacement for the one I ordered.

I know that the Zotac are bottom of the barrel stuff, is there anything bad about the MSI that I should reject it for? I understand blower cards don't have an 'off' mode, are they quiet enough while on stand-by?

Those are both not ideal cards... I guess if you had to do one, the Zotac is better. The Zotac is medium noise and it has some coil whine, but it's also nice and small and would have some resale value.

The MSI blower, like all blowers that aren't the nicer Founders Edition vapor chamber, tend to be really loud and thermally throttle if you go to overclock them. When you go to sell it some day people are going to take one look and assume it was a mining card if it's the cheapest blower you could find.

Put it this way, I have a mining PC right now with three PNY 1070 blowers and a Zotac 1070ti mini, and even though the 1070ti mini has a higher TDP it is running 20c cooler and at a lower fan speed than all the blower cards.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Due to a stupid chain of happenstance that I'm not going to get into, I'm currently considering doing a last minute swapout of my cheap but apparently well-liked CPU cooler for a highly regarded AIO liquid unit, the Corsair H80i v2. I like what I've read about it but I'm not sure I understand the implications of its single 120mm radiator with two fans setup and whether or not that's going to be a space problem for me and my microATX Fractal Mini C.
This is my build.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
My sister asked me to build her a new PC. She doesn't do any gaming, it's mostly just Photoshop and browsing. I honestly have no idea where to begin! How does this look? I mostly looked at Tom's Hardware when it came to picking parts (except for the RAM, there's very little offer when it comes to 2x8gb DDR4-2400. The Ga-b250m website lists 2400 as compatible, but there's an asterisk and I wish I knew what that means)

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($87.93 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($175.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Black 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($63.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Deepcool - SMARTER MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: XFX - XT 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zigmidge posted:

It means your 8700K is a super slow POS because you can only do 4.6GHz all cores on a low end board, according to the dick waving contestants over at OC.net.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Alright goons, tear it apart! If we can do less that would always be great, but I think anything below this is to get a Dell mentioned above (though this isn't terrible including a monitor).

What country are you in? 'Murrica!
What are you using the system for? Basic web browsing, Facebook games, basically something that doesn't take 5 minutes (literally) to load the lovely Centurylink webmail.
What's your budget? Less is more! $600 tops probably for this particular usage.

CPU: Intel - Core i3-7100 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B250I PRO Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($92.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master - Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone - 300W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($109.00 @ Amazon)
Monitor: HP - 22cwa 21.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $660.94

I did Amazon because reasons (prime!), and might have to substitute items (looks like potentially the SSD).

e: updated so most everything should be from Amazon.
e2: permalink because lazy: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PxXGsJ

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 20, 2017

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Palladium posted:

It means your 8700K is a super slow POS because you can only do 4.6GHz all cores on a low end board, according to the dick waving contestants over at OC.net.

https://youtu.be/xbLeuxIzxcA

Exceptionally low voltage requirements for that CPU though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Gothmog1065 posted:

Alright goons, tear it apart! If we can do less that would always be great, but I think anything below this is to get a Dell mentioned above (though this isn't terrible including a monitor).

What country are you in? 'Murrica!
What are you using the system for? Basic web browsing, Facebook games, basically something that doesn't take 5 minutes (literally) to load the lovely Centurylink webmail.
What's your budget? Less is more! $600 tops probably for this particular usage.

CPU: Intel - Core i3-7100 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B250I PRO Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($92.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master - Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone - 300W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($109.00 @ Amazon)
Monitor: HP - 22cwa 21.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $660.94

I did Amazon because reasons (prime!), and might have to substitute items (looks like potentially the SSD).

e: updated so most everything should be from Amazon.
e2: permalink because lazy: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PxXGsJ

If I were you I would just look for a <$200 i5-3470 refurb and put a SSD in.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

TheFluff posted:

https://youtu.be/xbLeuxIzxcA

Exceptionally low voltage requirements for that CPU though.

ASRock continues to loving destroy everyone else at memory tracing, even if their low end VRMs are disappointing this cycle.

E: I think the most important takeaway however is that even the cheapest boards can run 5GHz fine, it's not like you'll be capped down at 4.6GHz or anything stupid. Just that if you want to push for 5.1-5.3 it's probably worth considering stepping up.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 20, 2017

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Palladium posted:

If I were you I would just look for a <$200 i5-3470 refurb and put a SSD in.

I was wondering that, I think I was looking at the wrong model, as they were ~500-600. I will look again for that model.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

BurritoJustice posted:

ASRock continues to loving destroy everyone else at memory tracing, even if their low end VRMs are disappointing this cycle.

E: I think the most important takeaway however is that even the cheapest boards can run 5GHz fine, it's not like you'll be capped down at 4.6GHz or anything stupid. Just that if you want to push for 5.1-5.3 it's probably worth considering stepping up.

Keep in mind though that that CPU he's testing with is an exceptionally good one that is stable at really low voltages. A more "average" 8700K that requires more like 1.35v at 5.0GHz probably won't be able to get there at full load on one of these lower end boards.

In other news, after much waffling about which case to get for my own build I finally picked up a Be Quiet Dark Base 700 on a flash sale for about 120€ the other day and was feeling pretty good about that - I liked it but wasn't feeling it at its MSRP of 180€, so that was cool. Then, literally two days later, Fractal Design pops up and releases the Define R6 which does mostly same thing but with less German overengineering and a few nifty features :argh:
Ah well, it's still more expensive than the 120€ I paid and the practical differences are pretty minuscule.

If you're shopping for a silence-focused mid tower (and especially if you have use for a 5.25" bay in the dark future of 2018) I think the Define R6 is gonna be a really good pick. A tad expensive, but at least you won't have to buy extra fans. A noise suppression focused case that manages to get the notorious airflow fanatics at GamersNexus to begrudgingly rate it "not garbage" really has gotta be something.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've grabbed Dark Base 900 on a sale, and it's fukken huge. 2 motherboards and PSUs huge. What's worse I had this idea to switch motherboard by 90 degrees and didn't really do that much research into whether it's possible without irreversible modifications. It's not.. Still the case build is very good and it's very quiet.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

How does this look like for a build? I have the video card and SSD already.

Purpose: Email, web, gaming. I have a 1440p monitor. I'm coming from a 3570k, but I need a much smaller case. I have a Define R5 right now, which is a great case, but way too big for my space, plus I only use a single SSD anyway...

Questions:
Is there a better CPU cooler I could use?
Should I drop down to an 8600k or 8700 non-k? I have my 3570k OCd, but not sure if I'd want to OC a new chip.

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($26.90 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($175.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($209.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.34 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A12x15 PWM 55.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($19.95 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A12x15 PWM 55.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($19.95 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Total: $1016.01
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-20 21:31 EST-0500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
450W seems a tad low, and esp for that price, imho.

Why not something like this?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151189