Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I have a 960 now (pc built about a year ago). I have a pretty small case so I'll need a version that isn't bulky, but any reason I can't swap in a 1070? My PSU is 550w so I should be able to accommodate the power increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Rookoo posted:

Anyone have experience with mini-itx cases? I fancy going with the corsair 250D mentioned in the op, as apparently it supports a lot of full sized parts, and so the prospect of picking up my PC and moving it isn't a mammoth undertaking.

The Z170i i picked due to its mini itx form factor.

I'm planning on building now and using the integrated graphics until the gtx1070 is out soon. Does anyone know if the new cards any longer/bigger than the 970/80?

I'm going with a corsair RM650X, and 2x corsair dominator platinum 8GB sticks, and was thinking of getting a Noctua NH-U12S for cooling, as apparently the case supports up to 240mm radiators.

My question is: Should this all fit, and would the temps be bad for the graphics card in such a small case, or should I be okay?

I have a thermaltake core v1. It has an MSI card in it now. Just eyeballing the 1070/1080 looks like it is too long. MSI might release a shorter version but not in June. You will want one with good cooling for a mini itx case.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I'm not ready for a full rebuild, but I am looking to upgrade from a GTX 960 GPU with Cyberpunk 2070 in mind. Likely looking at a RTX 2060 range. My current build is:

i7 4790k
16 GB DDR3 RAM
Thermaltake Core V1 case

I will have to check, but my current power supply should be 550W.

Will a new card fit in that setup and which one should I get? Is there a better sweet spot than the 2060? I see the OP has been updated with an AMD card for the Value Gamer.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 14, 2019

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Stickman posted:

It’ll fit so long as you double-check that it fits! Just be aware that EVGA’s single-fan cards are triple-slot, so they won’t fit in a V1.

Unless you want it for something right now, I’d hold off for at least a few weeks. NVidia is likely announcing a refresh of the 2060, 2070, and 2080 next week, which will probably bring prices down and performance up a bit. There’s also been rumblings of the next generation (Ampere) launching in 2020, and we’ll likely at least get some more information about that before Cyberpunk launches.

Yeah, I'm going to wait until I need it. No sooner than after the Cyberpunk reqs come out. I just want a card that fits my mobo, fits in my tiny case, is the best value around the $300 price point, and runs Cyberpunk.

I see some double fan MSi models that look to be about the same height and length at the MSi 960 I have now.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Stickman posted:

It’ll fit so long as you double-check that it fits! Just be aware that EVGA’s single-fan cards are triple-slot, so they won’t fit in a V1.

Unless you want it for something right now, I’d hold off for at least a few weeks. NVidia is likely announcing a refresh of the 2060, 2070, and 2080 next week, which will probably bring prices down and performance up a bit. There’s also been rumblings of the next generation (Ampere) launching in 2020, and we’ll likely at least get some more information about that before Cyberpunk launches.

Is a 2060 suited for 1440p gaming? I have no interest in going for 4K gaming, really ever, but it occurred to me GPU bump plus 1440 monitor with Gsync might stretch my base hardware out just a bit further than sticking with 1080p gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

GutBomb posted:

I have a 2060 paired with a Ryzen 2700x on a gsync 144hz 1440p monitor and it’s great. The pixel density makes AA less important so that’s pretty much the only setting I turn down and everything runs around 90ish FPS very smoothly. It also works great with VR.

AA at 2x looks good. Above that and I lose too many frames for too little benefit.

How much of this is CPU intensive? You've got 8 cores to my 4.