Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm looking to buy a Sonnet external gpu enclosure. They come in 350 watts and 550 watts. Will the 350 be enough to run a Radeon RX 580?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1332124-REG/msi_radeon_rx_580_armor.html This is the card

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1338299-REG/sonnet_gpu_350w_tb3z_egfx_breakaway_box_350.html] Enclosure

e: nevermind, after research Sonnet says that the 350 is plenty.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Crucial MX500 has good reviews and they have a 5 year warranty.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If I buy using a guide on partspicker do I need to buy any extra stuff along with it? I have screwdrivers but do I need to buy the sata cables and extra screws and things like that or are they usually included in the mobo or the ssd itself?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Does anyone make a premium version of the Thermaltake Core V1 mini itx case? The design just seems a bit old and it's kind of worrying that it's only $50. Anyone make something with better fit and finish maybe for $100 or so?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like that it's a cube basically. The last PC I owned was a huge tower that had room for like 6 hard drives and I hated it because I want it to be on my desktop. I guess the V1 is fine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lord Stimperor posted:

I don't have the V1 to compare. But I have the fractal design node 804, which is a big mATX cube, and have seen the node 304, which is more appropriately sized for mini itx. These are very high quality: sturdy, easy to work with, tons of nice little details like filters and cable guides.

That looks really good but holy it looks super cramped in the pictures of the 304.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I would pay the extra $10 for the Crucial MX500 for the 5 year warranty and 180TB write lifetime. The BX comes with 3 years and it's like 100tb or something.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wonder if more games will be optimized for 4k when the next gen consoles start coming out next year. At some point the UI for games will look like trash in 1080

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Johnny Truant posted:

Sweet, thanks!

Unrelated: my mobo came with a heat sink cover for my SSD in the M.2 slot.. is that important? When I was putting it together I must've stared at it for 5 minutes without figuring out how it attached.

I thought it looked like I needed to remove something that almost looked soldered in so I :ohdear: and tucked it away for later.

Do you have a picture of it?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think some of the first nvme drives ran hot

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lungboy posted:

For someone that doesn't care about ultra graphics settings and has a U2412M is there any point buying anything more powerful than a 580/1060?

Most of the 1060 6gig cards I see aren't much cheaper than the 1660ti. If you can swing $280 then definitely get the 1660 ti since it's like a 30% performance boost in some games.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

fuckpot posted:

Hey guys. Recently bought this CPU/mobo/RAM/case upgrade -

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($388.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($599.00 @ Centre Com)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3733 Memory ($312.00 @ I-Tech)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO ATX Desktop Case ($173.22 @ Amazon Australia)
Total: $1472.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-07 15:09 AEST+1000

It will be using a single GPU configuration.

I have two m2 SSDs and have heard that there can sometimes be issues with them sharing PCIE lanes. PCPP doesn't detect an incompatibility but I'm not sure how reliable that is. Also on the official webpage for the motherboard it doesn't have 3733 Mhz RAM listed, nor does it on the PCPP page. This seems like an oversight to me as on some review pages they did say it was supported. Anyone know whether 3733 Mhz is supported or not?

Cheers.

I'm not sure if you noticed but your motherboard costs $600 :psyduck:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just built my first pc ever with ryzen stuff, 1660ti, and the Core v1 case. Took like 4 hours because I got confused by the pled/hdled/pwrbutton plugs but everything else was straightfoward once I organized all the screws. I hate how I have to deal with 6 different types of screws that aren't labeled.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lube banjo posted:

to upgrade my old ivy bridge I needed a cpu, mobo and ram. I feel like I did pretty good here:

Plus a RX570 for $103. Microcenter clearance is great

motherboard missing a backplate but for that price who cares

Isn't the backplate on the X570s used as a heat sink?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I used the stickers to cover up the bright as gently caress LEDs on my Thermaltake v1 case. The blue and orange lights are ungodly bright. I managed to turn off all the lights in the BIOS but the SSD activity light won't go away.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm too scared to open up the case again.

Also ideally the lights would all be on but just be very tiny. On my laptop it's just a subtle white LED to let you know when it's sleeping.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Check out the new Ryzen 5 3600. Same watts as your processor and it's $200.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-6400-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/2578vs3481

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My power supply came with a sata power cable with 4 plugs on it. I can get three of them to attach to my SSD but the last one at the other end seems to be "male" and it doesn't connect to anything and just gets in the way. Why is it there?

e: it looks like this

https://www.btosinte.com/Seasonic-6pin-to-four-SATA-connectors-Modular-Cable-SS-64xSATAB.htm

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 13, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dead Goon posted:

It's a splitter.

Only three should be able to connect.

That's annoying. It also came with this

https://www.btosinte.com/Seasonic-6pin-to-two-SATA-connectors-Modular-Cable-SS-62xSATAB.htm

And it's labeled 6 pin to two SATA connectors. It's the same thing here where only one fits. Do I need to buy something extra to make the other work?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I built my first pc. I'm just trying to figure out what everything is and google isn't helping. There's nothing in the manual about it and no video tutorials ever talked about it in my research. As of now I had to just zip tie it down to prevent it from flapping around.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ItBreathes posted:

The other one is for if you have another drive, multiple drives can be powered by the same cable.

SATA drives need both a power cable (this one) and a data cable between the drive and your motherboard, which should have come with one.

Oh yeah it came with two data cables and they both fit. I'm talking about the power connection. The one on the other end will not fit into my SSD. Only the connector in the middle. It's the same with the other cable which says it has 4 sata ports but only 3 will fit my SSD. There's nothing about a "splitter" in the manual so I was confused.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 13, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I tried to fit it both ways and it woudln't go in. Maybe it needs way more force than the other connectors? It does look a little different physically from the other three.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ThePineapple posted:

Is it generally suggested to get an aftermarket CPU cooler to go on a Ryzen 3600? I'm in the process of building a new computer and just want to know whether I should buy a CPU cooler or not. Planning to do a 3600 / 5700 xt AIB video card and trying for a 1440p / 144hz monitor.

I have a CPU cooler from my last (very old) computer - the hyper 212 evo. Not sure that works with the 3600, or is even good. Alternatively I've heard Noctua is good but they offer many different coolers so I was a little lost.

From what I've read the wraith stealth is very good stock cooler (and it works great on my 2600). But if you're planning to overclock then you want a larger cooler.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you get an X570 motherboard you won't have to deal with updating the BIOS.

The older X470 and B450 might need a BIOS update. Some of them already have the update and some don't, so it can be a crapshoot. If you can see them at a retail store the box should have a sticker or someothing saying it's Ryzen 3000 ready.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 20, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 660p is super fast but it will start slowing down when the drive gets full. One of the tradeoffs for cheap NVME drives.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why not amd?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Prices are bad in Canada but also keep in mind that the AMD comes with a workable cooler and the Intel doesn't. I think the regular 3600 will handle pretty much anything at 1440p. Do you need more than that?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought a $25 win 10 pro key from a goon on SA mart and it works perfectly. Just grab one of those as a last resort.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What are the unreleased games you are planning to play? Because stuff like Age of Empires and Hitman can be played on cheap systems. If you are willing to play at 1080p then a ryzen 2600 and a gtx 1660 ti will handle anything you can throw at it. One of those builds costs around 700-800.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dominoes posted:

Whatever good games come out within the next few years. I'm just trying to get a good computer. Not trying to use a non-native res. Would like to make Rust compile times low and matrix ops fast, so faster is better.

Then grab this processor

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-37...&language=en_US

And this graphics card

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeF...=gateway&sr=8-5

You'll be set for a while.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 25, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

_jink posted:

looking at this list stickman posted the other day (+1 storage hdd), are there any obvious upgrades if I had a couple hundred usd more in my budget?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($195.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: *Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($25.00)
Total: $1060.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-25 15:35 EDT-0400

Probably just my personal quirk but I would get a fully modular power supply. I'm already paying nearly $100 so I should be able to plug sata or whatever cables into the exact spot I want.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why not just return the 5700 and buy a new one? Or if there is a different brand with better reviews then even better. I wouldn't RMA anything I just bought. Just get a refund.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ThePineapple posted:

Sorry, I've never done this before so I might be confusing terms. I thought RMA = returning for a refund or replacement?
The card I got is this exact one: https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-100416p8gl/p/N82E16814202349
Under Warranty and Returns it says it is not refundable, but is returnable for a replacement within 30 days, so I would have to try to return for replacement (and hope I get a replacement relatively quickly, that thing has been going out of stock instantly)

I might got terms confused too because I thought RMA meant you return to the company making the video card. But that return policy is bullshit. See if they can send you the replacement at the same time so you don't have to wait around.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Ryzen 2600 + GTX 1660TI is an amazing match. I can run anything on 1080 ultra. The only difference for me is I went with a M2 SATA SSD from Crucial. It's way slower on paper but in real use you won't notice a difference.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You should buy your own power supply, one of the gold rated Seasonic or Corsair that are always recommended here. E: I guess it comes with a good power supply. But that case is super expensive. The Ryzen 5 3600 is also cheaper ($200) while also running cooler and faster than the 2700x.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 26, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The blower cards are useful if your ITX case is ultra small like the Dan A4. But the average itx case from thermaltake or NZXT are better with non-blower.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do people typically buy the Xbox One controller? I bought a bunch of console style games like Cuphead and Assassins Creed and they don't feel right with mouse keyboard.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TT8QQ5M/?tag=pcpapi-20

2060 Super? It's a little slower on paper but it runs cooler and quieter. I see that you have a 1080 monitor. This card will be able to do a lot of games at 1440 ultra.

I personally have a $280 GTX 1660 Ti and it blows away any game I throw at it. If you're just doing 1080 the other cards seem like a waste to me.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 28, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

By significantly faster are we talking like 2 or 3 seconds? I do notice Doom takes a little longer to load compared to other games but i find it very minor annoyance. I would rather buy a SATA Crucial mx500 than something like the budget nvme drives like Intel 660p and Crucial P1. Though when the premium ones like the Samsung NVME drops in price I would definitely buy those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah and might as well post it on sa mart too since it couldn't hurt. I sold my laptop to a goon a few years ago and it went smoothly.