Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I've noticed that the GTX 980 doesn't really have a home in the OP. Do the X80 cards and now the 1080 sort of always land there? Like if you're thinking to get the 80 you might as well get the 80ti or just get the 70?

I usually build a new PC every 3 years and this summer would be the next time. It looks like you guys would recommend just getting a video card though and waiting on the rest of the upgrade.

I have a 4670k, Asus Z87-A, 8GB DDR3, and a GTX 760. I also need a new SSD. I have a 1200p monitor but I want to go dual screen and a new monitor I get would probably be newer/better for gaming so I imagine I'd be down to 1080p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
When thinking about which GPU to get to power my current 1200p monitor, how much should I be thinking about what sort of monitor I'll have in the next 3 years during the GPU's lifespan? VR seems like a real possibility and I might just say screw it and buy a 1440p monitor at the same time as the GPU meaning I'll need the GTX1080.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Terry Crews is putting together his first PC. Pretty cool I think. http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/15/12197206/terry-crews-positive-pc-gamer

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
My friend wanted to build a gaming PC but his budget is only $500 excluding monitor and I believe m/kb. He wants to play overwatch and I imagine CRPGs.

Is this doable? Where should I start? I feel like finding a used setup would be best. We have another friend with an old GPU he could probably borrow, hoping that he can eventually get his own soon which would leave the 500 for everything else.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Are you near a Microcenter?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/474288/G151_Desktop_Computer

Downsides: No SSD, 8GB RAM.

Alternate option: https://www.techbargains.com/deal/443007/dell-inspiron-amd-gaming-desktop

Downsides (again): No SSD, 8GB RAM.
Upside: 4GB AMD 570s are going for ~$200 on eBay, so if you could snag a decent 'used' GPU from a friend, it'll hit his price point.

Yes I'm right by a MicroCenter. Do you think prebuilt is the way to go? Even this is still $650.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

From just parts this is what I scrounged up:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mPZ6JV doesn't have windows and I know nothing about the power supply that the thermal take comes with. If you have a microcenter nearby any CPU/Mobo combo purchased together gets $30 off so that makes it a bit easier to squeeze a windows 7 key and then Win 10 upgrade in. The nice thing about the current AM4 platform is that say your buddy builds this and then gets a bit more money (after a GPU of course) and wants to upgrade. The 1600 or even 1700 will drop straight into this socket. Additionally, say 9 to 12 months down the line he's looking to squeeze an upgrade, but can't both GPU and a new chip. There are APUs coming that *should* drop straight into the AM4 socket as well. Now, take that particular upgrade path with huge grains of salt because performance wise no one really knows what it's going to do....will it be a very solid performer like Ryzen or kind of a poo poo show like Vega :shrug:?

And for GPUs, if you aren't going for the moon, the 1200 OC'ed and paired with anything short of a 980ti, 1070, or 1080 you really won't be bottle necked.

When you say "anything short of" do you mean he should get one of those cards? Because those seem very impossible for the future based on his current budget.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I game at 1440p with a 1070. I have an i5-4670k. Is this new generation of CPUs THE ONE to upgrade to?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Isn't it unfair to compare a previous i7 to the current i9? I mean of course the new generation is expected to be faster but it's even more obvious that the higher end chip would be as well.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I game at 1440p with a 1070 and a 4560k. Think there's a need to upgrade to one of these 9th gen i5s or i7s? Sounds like next year is when the true next gen comes out.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 12, 2018

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
What case are people recommending now? I have an upgrade itch but I probably don't need to upgrade my 4670k so I thought a new case might feel like I'm upgrading. I've been seeing the H500, Meshify C, and LL Dynamic as a good, better, best situation.

I know waiting for certain parts is silly but I figured I'd wait until 10nm. That looks to be longer away than expected. Anything else upcoming that would have a worthy jump?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Ah I wouldn't be switching to water cooling at the same time so the Dynamic would be out I guess. Water is just quieter right, not any cooler? Or at least the AIO coolers?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Saw this Lian Li case deal https://www.walmart.com/nco/LIAN-LI...B-80c/507659482

I've had the upgrade itch for awhile, but don't think I actually need to replace my i5-4670k so I've been holding off. I thought maybe getting a new case will make it seem like I'm upgrading since it will still have that fun rebuild experience. Does it make any sense to do that if I don't necessarily want to replace my Noctua NH-D14? Would that even work on the next gen CPUs though?

I also see there's a good Microcenter price right now on the 9700k. Maybe there's no reason to wait until next year? I've seen that the next big leap in CPUs has been delayed anyway.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The next big leap in CPUs comes out next week, hold your horses.

I just saw that the leaked Zen2 benchmarks look pretty good. With my limited knowledge on the subject, the smaller process is what I equated to the big leap and I guess the 7nm here would qualify even more so than Intel's 10nm (not taking actual performance into account). For someone who upgrades every 5 or so years, do you think this is a good chip to jump on coming from a 4670k?

Stickman posted:

The O11D is a fantastic case, but unfortunately it's designed with AIO coolers in mind so only has 155mm of CPU cooler clearance. Unfortunately, that leaves out a lot of the popular large cooler, including the D14 (which needs 160mm). If you decide to get the O11, the $45 Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B squeaks in under the height requirement and is decently close to top-end coolers like the D15.

Other than the height requirement and potentially blocking the top PCIe slot on some motherboards, the D14 is still a great cooler and would be fine for pretty much any consumer CPU you want to put it on. If you choose to go with AMD Ryzen you'd need an AM4 mounting kit, though. Noctua was giving them away two years ago, but I'm not sure if the free program is still going. They're still decently cheap if not!

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I'd have some decisions to make. Hopefully the deal doesn't evaporate before I get a chance to think on it.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Thinking about upgrading because of the release. I currently have an i5-4670k that I got in 2013, so that's probably how often I upgrade, maybe slightly more frequently since I'll be making more money over time.

- I won't be upgrading from my 1070 GTX and I game at 1440p.
- I plan to overclock, probably with a 360 AIO since I got the LL 011D case. Custom loop sounds cool, but quite expensive.
- I just game and browse the web

Was thinking about the 3700X since I've never had the i7 level CPU (only i5). I do see that the 9700k wins in gaming, but maybe not as significant at 1440p. It also OCs better. I have access to a Microcenter so both CPUs are $330 but the 3700X has the $50 discount with a mobo instead of $30 for 9700k. Think the 9700k is worth $20 more? I suppose I should also consider the 3600 or 3600X vs the 9500k though.

I also thought that the new X570 boards could be nice for when I get a new GPU maybe next summer assuming nvidia releases a new process or whatever it's called. Any recommendations there for Microcenter options?

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 7, 2019

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Want to upgrade from my i5-4670k from 2013. In the past I've upgraded every 3 years, but it hasn't seemed necessary with my current CPU so far. I got the 1070 in 2016 and left it at that. I could see myself with this Ryzen 3 for another 5 years in case that weighs into the advice.

- I'll be keeping the 1070 and I game at 1440p/165hz
- I pretty much only game and browse the web

Here are my thoughts and questions on the new components (big write up on last page was helpful):

CPU: Was thinking 3700X since I've never had the "7" level CPU before (just i5), but it could work in my budget now. I know that's a silly reason though, and since I plan to overclock to maximize value (not just to get the highest number) maybe the 3600 or 3600X would be fine. Since I don't upgrade as often, I also thought maybe the 3700X would be better.

Mobo: Is the X570 overkill? They're pretty expensive so I've only looked at the cheapest options for each line. Would getting a nicer X470 or B450 make more sense? It looks like the cheap X570s can overclock everything except maybe the 3900X? I don't need Wifi. My case has a front USB-C and the cheap X570s don't come with the correct header, but not a deal breaker. My only thought on the X570 is that it has the PCIe 4 which might be nice if I plan to get whatever new nvidia GPU comes out next year. Is that nonsense?

Cooler: I thought about getting into a custom loop just because that's pretty much what the case was designed for, but that's a steep price increase. It doesn't look like there's much headroom on the 3000 for overclocking anyway. I think the idea with the 360 is just that it will help fill things in, plus I'll need some fans for intake anyway and I think that's how it would be positioned in this case. I can get this one at a discount too.

Power Supply: From the wattage estimator I don't think I need a new PSU, but this one is also 6 years old. Any advice?

Ignore prices as I own most, I also have Microcenter pricing
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($183.76 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($158.90 @ B&H)
Storage: Intel - 320 Series 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.85 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($138.90 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - Spinpoint F3 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($81.55 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - Spinpoint F3 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($81.55 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB G1 Gaming Video Card
Case: Lian-Li - PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Adorama)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $1198.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-08 13:57 EDT-0400

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

If you want to keep your CPU for a while I like the idea of a 3700X, the next gen consoles are going to have 8-core Zen 2 CPUs so having that same configuration on a PC should make it last a very long time. I would go with an X470 or B450 since you don't need ultra beefy VRMs or PCI-E 4.0 and you can save a lot of money, something as inexpensive as an MSI B450 Tomahawk would be fine. There are cheaper cooler options but if you can get that one on a discount it will work fine. As for PSU I usually look at the EVGA SuperNOVA G2/G3 or Seasonic FOCUS Gold 550W units as they can often be found for pretty cheap and they're very high quality.

Thanks for the info. After looking at Reddit a lot it seems like most are recommending the B450s. You don't think that having the PCIe 4 will matter if I plan to get whatever the next gen GPU is next summer?

The MSI Carbon and Tomahawk are sold out at my Microcenter probably because of the Flashback feature. Any other good B450s for my needs?

Do you think it's a good idea to get a new PSU? I think everything is compatible, just wondering about reliability for the next few years. Would also suck to get one now if a new GPU next year required a different connector or something.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
How does the MSI B450-A Pro compare to the Tomahawk or Carbon if I want to overclock an R5 3600 (those are sold out at MC. They have other brands too)? Would the stock cooler be able to handle things or would a better cooler provide a better ceiling (assuming it isn't CPU limited). I was planning on getting a 360 AIO for my new Lian Li 011D, but the new Ryzens seem to already be near their ceiling so don't think a big AIO would do much. I'm thinking about the Scythe Mugen 5 instead, plus some intake fans.

It seems like thermals have become more advanced in the past 6 years since I last built, not to mention RGB. How is RGB even controlled? I have a corporate discount and can get these for about half off as an example https://www.bestbuy.com/site/therma...p?skuId=6339072

I also don't really know anything about fan curve, PWM, really anything manual about fans. I've never done that with my current PC, I've only done manual CPU overclocking in the BIOS but the temp control has always been fixed.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Stickman posted:

The B450-A Pro is roughly equivalent to a Tomahawk, so it will be fine with anything up to a 3900X. The VRM is the same, but cooling is ever so slightly worse.

Ryzen stock coolers will get you very close to the precision boost overdrive limit and there's really not much performance to be had going beyond that. That goes double for 3rd-gen Ryzen - just let the boost do it's thing and don't bother trying to manually overclock. The stock coolers are louder and hotter than aftermarket coolers, though, so a Mugen 5 is a fine choice if noise is important. (E: what OJ said - the 3600's stock cooler has less overhead than the 3600x's)

The RGB fan kit you linked comes with a controller box. You connect your fans to the box and connect the box to an internal USB 2.0 header, and then the RGB and fan speed are controlled through Thermaltake's software.

PWM fans just mean that they're controllable with a pulse signal instead of by directly varying the voltage. That generally increases the precision of control and makes them controllable at lower RPM than DC-controlled 3-pin fans. Setting up fan curves is usually pretty easy in bios, but the default fan curve is usually pretty good.

Thanks, missed this edit yesterday. I'll see if I can find out if the others are coming in stock soon otherwise that might do.

I'm also now curious to know more about the onboard sound in mobos. I always figured they were about the same but I heard even the Tomahawk is worse than the Carbon. I imagine the A Pro is the same as the Tomahawk. I have Audioengine A2+ and Senn HD599 so it would be nice if they sounded good.

I also didn't realize mATX is as popular. I don't see reviews as often. Are they used with overclockers?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Stickman posted:

Your Audioengine A2+ has a built-in DAC (digital-audio converter), so if you plug it in to a USB port it will bypass the onboard audio entirely. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have a headphone jack, so you'll still be using the onboard audio for your headphones.

Onboard audio on cheaper boards (like the Pro-A and Tomahawk) usually use the Realtek ALC892 codec, while top end boards use the higher-quality ALC1220 codec. Board amps will also vary, but that information is very hard to find. The basic rule of thumb is that if your headphones aren't loud enough you'll want an external amplifier and if you're noticing distortion or static you'll also want an external DAC. I think there's a DAC/amp thread around somewhere, but the Schiit Modi 2 (DAC) and Schiit Magni 2 (amp) seem to be highly recommended. Unfortunately the Magni 2 seems to be out of stock everywhere and the Magni 3 is quite a bit more expensive than the 2's firesale price.

mATX has kind of been the odd duck out - most motherboard manufacturers haven't bothered making high-quality mATX boards for the last few generations. The B450 offerings top at at about the feature set of the Tomahawk (in the MSi Mortar), and those boards have been discontinued. Apparently ASRock has releasing a high-quality X570 board, though!

Very helpful, thank you. I had no idea I was supposed to be using USB with these speakers!

I'm looking at the images of the DAC and I'm not seeing any sort of output other than the RCAs on the back. Where's the 3.5mm for headphones? Also I have a boom mic added to my HD599 so I have an additional 3.5mm for the mic (one of those little U shaped things at the end with one for mic one for headphones). Is there someway to get both of those working? The front panel of my case has both so I just plug in there.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

ItBreathes posted:

So a buddy of mine decided he wanted a gaming PC, and wants something better than 1080p60. I talked him out of 1080p144 as all of the internet say the panels suck, which means we're going for 1440p144. We live near Microcenter so I spec'd out the below, using their prices. Some parts can be had cheaper but he's not willing to wait / make multiple orders.

Really, what I'm wondering is what GPU to recommend; the 2060 and 2070 super as well as the 5700 / XT all seem good but I don't want to go with a blower and the supers aren't in stock yet so there's some time to decide, does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also, while I can look up ultra benchmarks all day long, what kind of experience can he expect turning things down to high or lower? I've never had a 1440p144 setup myself.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($40.00)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($83.00)
Storage: Inland - Premium 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($95.00)
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($100.00)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($110.00)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($25.00)
Monitor: Acer - XF270HU 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($350.00)
Total: $1401.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-10 23:56 EDT-0400

Plus about $78 in tax, and they're sold out of the Tomahawk, but $50 off the Mobo can't be beat.

For the mobo you'll have to see if it has one of those Ready for Ryzen 3 stickers on it otherwise you'll have to update it yourself with an older Ryzen CPU. Tomahawks were sold out and have been for awhile at mine too so I got the MSI B450-A Pro since that is pretty much the same and has the BIOS Flashback.

You could get a 550 or 650W PSU too. They have Supernovas or Focuses?

I'd have to guess people would recommend the 2070 over 2060. The card needs to stay relevant at that resolution for the duration of its life meaning newer games too.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I already got an MSI B450-A Pro at Microcenter since the Tomahawk was sold out. I haven't built yet and now the Tomahawks are in stock.

I would like to OC as much as reasonably possible. Think it's worth switching? I have a 3600, a Scythe Mugen 5, 16gb Ballistix 3200 CL16, a GTX1070, and game at 1440p/144hz.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Should I be looking to get an NVME drive? I game, browse the web, and that's about it. I have an 850 Evo SATA right now.

There's a crucial P1 on sale.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
OJ posted this info some pages back that I was looking at about OCing Ryzen 3000: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409&pagenumber=728&perpage=40#post496689448

Just wondering if this is still the right way for my 3600 after seeing GN's video on PBO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7NzNi1xX_4

tl;dw via Reddit

Precision Boost (PB) - AMD's boost algorithm, decides core clocks based on power (voltage¤t) and temperature. Can only boost to max stock clocks.

Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) - Increases the power that can be provided to the CPU by the VRMs, doesn't change clocks.

AutoOC - Increases the value of the max clock by 200Mhz. DOES NOT mean the CPU WILL now boost to max clock+200Mhz, just that it CAN if Precision Boost (PB) decides there's enough power and thermal headroom to do so.

PBO and AutoOC don't do much right now because throwing more power at the CPU is useless if the CPU doesn't have the thermal headroom to clock higher. IF you have an LN2 setup, then go right on ahead, the CPU clocks scale linearly all the way to -56C.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Should CPU-Z be saying my DRAM Frequency is 1600MHz? The BIOS shows it at 3200 after I enabled XMP. This is at idle or at the CPU-Z stress test. Ryzen 3600 with CL16 3200 RAM using Ryzen Balanced in Windows.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 20, 2019

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Was looking at this for my new 3600 about voltages: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

When I follow the instructions to turn everything off, I'm still getting 1.2-1.3V. I filled out the survey, but do I need to be concerned? Haven't looked at this stuff in the past when I upgraded 6 years ago.

Also, looked at this about fans going crazy https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cecleg/psa_sick_of_your_fans_going_crazy_fix_it_the/

My 3 Thermaltake Pure Plus intake fans are going nuts speeding up and down when I'm idle at the desktop with my various background apps open (discord, b.net, origin, updater tools for drivers/viruses, etc.). The fans are all connected to a controller and then USB so the MSI BIOS doesn't have anything I can modify there. The TT software doesn't either.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

The Gate posted:

Does this thread have any go-to recommendations for good 1440p monitors at high refresh for gaming? I tried going through the monitor thread, but most of the discussion seems to center around non-gaming applications so I figured this might be easier to ask. Ideally, something with an anti-glare coating or option because my apartment has giant loving windows and my screen looks half-white until sunset currently. :v:

Acer Predator XB271HU. That's 27" 1440p 165hz IPS GSync.

There's an ASUS PQ something that is usually the other one with the same specs.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
My 3600 and B450-A Pro worked no problem. My intake fans keep speeding up unless every program is closed probably due to the random boosting. Voltage stays between 1.1-1.2v with just CPU-Z open.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
What should I charge on Craislist for my old PC which includes:

Noctua NH-D14
Asus Z87-A
G.Skill Ripjaws 8 GB DDR3-1600
Corsair 200R
SeaSonic G 550 W 80+ Gold

Thanks

Edit: in Minneapolis

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 3, 2019

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Sorry it's in Minneapolis. Interesting about the parting it out. What's the best way to figure out what to charge for shipping? I've only really sold video games so shipping is pretty easy.

I can't imagine someone would pay what I assume is a huge fee for the case though.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
My friend tells me he's going to upgrade tomorrow at Microcenter. He has bad ADHD and enough disposable income. He's terrible at making buying decisions at every store from PC parts to groceries. He hasn't picked out anything but he said he heard the 9900k is the best and why wouldn't you want the best??

He games at 1440p with a 2080. He also does some occasional CAD work on the side. He is also thinking about VR but that's probably because of what I explained above.

Would he still be fine with a 3600 or maybe the CAD work justifies a 3700x? Is 16GB ok? I'm just going to tell him to get a B450 board.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
For those of you who built a Ryzen 3 rig recently, are you having problems with Windows going to sleep? I can't keep it asleep. I'm on the Ryzen Balanced power plan and I've checked the sleep settings of the profile and the generic settings. It will wake up overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Constellation I posted:

Trying running "powercfg -lastwake" on command prompt to see if it can tell you some useful information.

Do this after putting it to sleep and seeing that it woke up at some point?