Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Yudo posted:

She praised it and owned it as an achievement. So yeah, it's on the resume.

Yeah she totally should have called her husband and the President of the United States an rear end in a top hat. That definitely should be what she did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yudo posted:

Yeah, she helped to cause the problem in the first place.

I just checked and nope her name isn't on that piece of legislation :confused:

Doesn't change the fact that every candidate beating the war drum over this thing isn't actually doing a goddamn thing about it, including your guy.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Epic High Five posted:

Doesn't change the fact that every candidate beating the war drum over this thing isn't actually doing a goddamn thing about it, including your guy.

He's voted against every free trade agreement that he's been present for, which is a better record than your meme candidate

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

She actively advocated for it and claims it as an achievement. Are you calling her a liar?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

MC Nietzche posted:

Yeah she totally should have called her husband and the President of the United States an rear end in a top hat. That definitely should be what she did.

She probably called him worse than that when she found out he was getting blowies in the oval.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

MC Nietzche posted:

Apparently, she completely caused Bill to make a 180 on the bankruptcy bill which at the time she disliked. She liked NAFTA and openly advocated for it.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

smg77 posted:

She probably called him worse than that when she found out he was getting blowies in the oval.

Yeah but not publicly. Then again maybe she didn't give a gently caress. People get weirdly judgmental about marriage but maybe she was just pissed he got caught and then had to feign disappointment.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Free trade is also the main employer of quite a few towns in this state thanks to Honda factories, etc. You want to be the one to tell those towns they have to go under?

Plus you know, 25 years ago versus right now. Sanders isn't doing anything RIGHT NOW, even when it would cost him nothing, but he wants the credit for it? Lol gently caress off. I'm sure people like Donna Edwards are suuuuuper happy they hitched their wagon to the progressive

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Epic High Five posted:

Free trade is also the main employer of quite a few towns in this state thanks to Honda factories, etc. You want to be the one to tell those towns they have to go under?

Plus you know, 25 years ago versus right now. Sanders isn't doing anything RIGHT NOW, even when it would cost him nothing, but he wants the credit for it? Lol gently caress off. I'm sure people like Donna Edwards are suuuuuper happy they hitched their wagon to the progressive
Donna Edwards endorsed hillary, but got more support from Bernie voters than from Hillary voters

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Free trade is also the main employer of quite a few towns in this state thanks to Honda factories, etc.

Sanders has been voting and speaking against free trade deals for his entire congressional and senatorial career e.g. attacking NAFTA in 91, 92, 93, etc.

Also visit detroit, cleveland,milwaukee, st. louis, etc.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Dont japanese car companies give money to anti union Republican candidates to keep rural areas lovely

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Uncle Wemus posted:

Dont japanese car companies give money to anti union Republican candidates to keep rural areas lovely

Toyota and Nissan often build factories in right-to-work states. Toyota also closed and moved its only union shop in the US in 2009.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Can't even get progressives elected so he just gloms off the successes and PR work of the same machine Democrats he hates, and his supporters just lap it up :sad:

Uncle Wemus posted:

Can't speak for other regions but the setups here are union and great gigs. Honda I believe.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Can't even get progressives elected so he just gloms off the successes and PR work of the same machine Democrats he hates, and his supporters just lap it up :sad:

Can't speak for other regions but the setups here are union and great gigs. Honda I believe.

There are more autoworkers in Mexico than in the US. Many of those jobs were from detroit and were part of the UAW. Go NAFTA.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
honda builds some cars now in Mexico

donald trump will outlaw honda

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Yudo posted:

Sanders has been voting and speaking against free trade deals for his entire congressional and senatorial career e.g. attacking NAFTA in 91, 92, 93, etc.

Also visit detroit, cleveland,milwaukee, st. louis, etc.

Manufacturing employment peaked in 1975 and had been declining for 20 years before NAFTA was passed. After it passed, it remained flat for almost 10 years, only falling off during the Bush years. Meanwhile, Canada's manufacturing employment boomed, despite having similar cost of living and wages.

Maybe "NAFTA sent all our jobs to China" isn't actually true and other factors were at work, which people blamed on NAFTA.

You don't suppose that maybe Republican union-busting has had a hand in this? Or is it just easier to blame Democrats for everything?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

logikv9 posted:

honda builds some cars now in Mexico

donald trump will outlaw honda

He will invade mexico and force the jobs back at gun point.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

facebook jihad posted:

Real talk I don't understand Bernie's motivation in staying in the race at this point. He's not going to win the Democratic nomination and is basically an annoying ulcer in the race at this point. His staying in the race is only going to leave a bad taste in the the DNC's mouth and his influence on the platform will only diminish as he keeps causing trouble.

If he really thinks he still can make a run for it it's probably time to just go independent. I don't know. Maybe a more enlightened Bernout can explain it to me.

He is a motherfucking loser who wants a President Trump because he is a loving loser.

As Bernie Sanders shows, always ratfuck independents. Always. Ratfuck 'em fully. Ratfuck those ratfuckers constantly.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Manufacturing employment peaked in 1975 and had been declining for 20 years before NAFTA was passed. After it passed, it remained flat for almost 10 years, only falling off during the Bush years. Meanwhile, Canada's manufacturing employment boomed, despite having similar cost of living and wages.

Maybe "NAFTA sent all our jobs to China" isn't actually true and other factors were at work, which people blamed on NAFTA.

You don't suppose that maybe Republican union-busting has had a hand in this? Or is it just easier to blame Democrats for everything?

Can't blame Clinton for GOP union busting, so it wasn't blast

Q.E.D

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Major free trade treaties started in the 1970s as a way, in part, to bust unions and break up the democratic vote by Nixon. It's great to know that the Clintons wanted to help out that effort. And NAFTA had nothing to do with China what are you on about?

Yudo has issued a correction as of 05:00 on May 4, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

He is a motherfucking loser who wants a President Trump because he is a loving loser.

As Bernie Sanders shows, always ratfuck independents. Always. Ratfuck 'em fully. Ratfuck those ratfuckers constantly.

But, but, shouldn't we rest all of our hopes on the whims of a group with no consistent ideology that turn out poorly and don't participate? I've been told that it is VERY IMPORTANT!

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

But, but, shouldn't we rest all of our hopes on the whims of a group with no consistent ideology that turn out poorly and don't participate? I've been told that it is VERY IMPORTANT!

Jesus, agreeing with MIGF...look at the low you have sunk to.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Yudo posted:

He will invade mexico and force the jobs back at gun point.

the cars built there actually had serious cosmetic issues and a ton of parts were stolen while in transit to the factory :shrug:

trump 2016

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
You're mad about how bad your candidate is on trade issues and, hell, it's pretty funny.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

No, Democrats should never rest their electoral hopes on Republicans. Are you loving insane?!?!?!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Frankly I'm past NAFTA. I'm worried about right now which Bernouts just don't seem to understand.

Their guy = isn't doing a goddamned thing for me
Clinton = doing a whole lot

Of course I'm not going to be sympathetic when he tries to chide Carrier like he's doing something about it. His neglect allowing the Tea Party to strengthen their hold here would do far more damage to the state than NAFTA ever did. Kansas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma weren't ALWAYS rolling tirefires

My Imaginary GF posted:

No, Democrats should never rest their electoral hopes on Republicans. Are you loving insane?!?!?!

"The most important thing is to secure Republican votes if you want to win as a Democrat" - people whose candidate can't get a majority of Democratic votes, of course

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Deteriorata posted:

Questionable interpretation of your data there, because despite "declining for 20 years" since 1975, it looks like the US specifically still had the same manufacturing employment in 1995 as it did in '75, as did Canada, two of the countries involved in NAFTA. Meanwhile, the floor has fallen out from under the US employment level and Canada has crashed from its recent high as well. Also it would be much more interesting if there was corresponding data from developing countries to see if the manufacturing employment has been increasing in those nations as its declined in the countries above.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Like how do you post a graph showing declining manufacturing in developed nations and then say manufacturing hasn't moved away from developed nations as capital seeks cheaper labor abroad, especially without even showing the developing nations in the data.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Has this thread had any, ahem, Nice! meltdowns? I'm particularly interested in the posts shrieking about how it doesn't matter, how the one true queen should ascend the throne etc.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774435&userid=212024

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Powercrazy posted:

Has this thread had any, ahem, Nice! meltdowns? I'm particularly interested in the posts shrieking about how it doesn't matter, how the one true queen should ascend the throne etc.

Excuse me I think you meant kween.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fast Luck posted:

Questionable interpretation of your data there, because despite "declining for 20 years" since 1975, it looks like the US specifically still had the same manufacturing employment in 1995 as it did in '75, as did Canada, two of the countries involved in NAFTA. Meanwhile, the floor has fallen out from under the US employment level and Canada has crashed from its recent high as well. Also it would be much more interesting if there was corresponding data from developing countries to see if the manufacturing employment has been increasing in those nations as its declined in the countries above.

Well, the movement of jobs to China started before NAFTA and even screwed Mexico. They got very little from NAFTA, because if a company was going to relocate for cheaper wages, there were better places to go than there. Ross Perots "huge sucking sound" was bullshit.

All I have read is that there were a lot of coincident things going on in world economies at the time NAFTA was passed, and it ended up getting blamed for a lot of stuff that had nothing to do with it. Things like Canada doing well with manufacturing jobs isn't mentioned, presumably because it seems to be tied to their strong unions and that's a bad story in America that people don't want to hear.

I'm not saying NAFTA had no bad effects, just that close analysis suggests its maybe not the bogeyman it's made out to be.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

What Im' saying is capitalism will always seek out cheaper labor to exploit if you let it and a lot of jobs surely went overseas whenever policy allowed them to do so, in order to take advantage of lower wages, lower environmental standards, etc

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Frankly I'm past NAFTA.

Lots of people lost their jobs, american labor has permanently changed for the worse, organized labor has gone on life support and many cities collapsed or slowly rusted. But as long as you're cool I guess it's not a big deal.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yudo posted:

Lots of people lost their jobs, american labor has permanently changed for the worse, organized labor has gone on life support and many cities collapsed or slowly rusted. But as long as you're cool I guess it's not a big deal.

sorry you think opposing something 25 years ago is the same thing as making things better now

maybe that's why your dude is losing emphatically by all metrics, even his own made up scenarios

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

You know what metric he's not losing in? the Indiana democratic primary one

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Epic High Five posted:

sorry you think opposing something 25 years ago is the same thing as making things better now

maybe that's why your dude is losing emphatically by all metrics, even his own made up scenarios

What if you oppose something from the present that is similar to NAFTA, for the same reasons you opposed NAFTA?

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
She waffled on TPP as recent as 8 months ago but as long as it doesn't concern you, it's ok, right?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

trade is still a major issue, but clearly it doesn't concern you so you don't care, right? Hillary has voted for every trade deal that she has had opportunity. She even aggressively pushed for the PTPA. How can I possibly trust her RE TPP?

e:

Fast Luck posted:

nice.

Yudo has issued a correction as of 05:42 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

luckily that doesn't actually determine anything I guess

Powercrazy posted:

What if you oppose something from the present that is similar to NAFTA, for the same reasons you opposed NAFTA?

TPP ain't gonna steal jobs from the US. Indiana would be worse off under Sanders because he'd stand idly by while the Tea Party took over, period.

• Locked thread