Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mega man 1 is "nintendo hard" because it's very old, everyone got salty about getting guts-dumped, the ice man blocks, or the rock monstera nd then rejoiced after beating them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's majorly improved by save states because it's the only w/o passwords and nobdoy wants to play a whole game like that in one sitting.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i mostly like the nobuo eumatsu/koji kondo "let's write for nintendo like composers" thing but there's something charming about how the Mega Man music leans into the fact that it's made on some kind of 8 bit chipset. that complainer guy got bubble man stuck in my head.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i'm traumatized from getting all the way to ice man and having to leave for baseball practice.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cobalt Viper posted:

Real gamer kids know about leaving the NES on all night long but strategically covering the power light with a sock or a blanket or something so that mom doesn't notice the red light and turn it off.

i'm extremely mad at eight year old me now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

go beat the game now

i've beat all the NES mega man games. i know 2 is the best, but 3 is my favorite. i like the doc robot stages.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

crash man, i guess.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

im going crazy trying to think what could even be considered a maze in the entire game lol

if you vaguely associate "puzzle" with maze then there's that wily boss with the crash walls maybe but there aren't any ladders

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

i looked up an faq and they use the word maze twice in the entire thing and it was the start of flashmans stage. and even then they just say its kinda like a maze

crash man maze:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

solve my dastardly ladder maze mega man

lol all of the dead ends have prizes in them

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the bubble background races through my mind and the E box vanishes with an echoing scream. i fire my gun, but the birds wheeling in the sky simply stop as my second meter inexplicably decreases. all is discordia.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

Even if you guessed the right ladder by accident the first time you would see the e tank and jump off to get it

and face TWO bird enemies again?! the E tank doesn't even make either of the meters go up!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That image gave me intense nostalgia for reading the NES Game Atlas with all the maps.

i still have this. all the pages fell apart from use but i put them inside sheet covers in a binder. it's great.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I rebought it off of eBay along with Mario Mania and the secret passwords guide a few years ago

i had forgotten about these... i used to quiz my little bother on "Mariology" based on the mario mania guide but i can't remember what was in top secret passwords.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

crash bandicoot is no king k. rool

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

i don't think megaman beyond 1 is really that hard unless you're like trying to to stuff like not use boss powers or abilities like flying or whatever. and even 4-6 give you the mega buster which deals good damage to every boss without exploiting its weakness making it easier

there are some sections of 2 that are kind of hard IMO. quick man lasers is probably about as hard as the guts dump platforms. the rest of them aren't super hard but i think literally all of them are harder than say, donkey kong country or super mario world.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Next up: Uncle at Nintendo criticizes Nintendo when a game uses "itch" as an intransitive verb, when it is clear that Waluigi isn't scratching anything.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Playing Mario Odyssey for the first time. The New Donk City Festival is the best thing I've ever experienced in a game.

The whole game is really good, and the festival is just Nintendo taking a victory lap for 30 great years of games and inviting you to the party, and handing you some champagne.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

torn between that, peach's choice when you beat the game, or cappy's monologue when you climb the huge tower in darker side as the game's best moment.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

everyone has to cry about mario sometimes. i cried about this, from the gamer tricks thread, the next day, when i was on the toilet for almost an hour.

Bicyclops posted:

one time i was playing Super Mario World with a roommate, and he was getting bored because he kept dying really quickly and having to wait for me to finish a level, so he told me you could kill the bone fish with a cape attack, and he managed to be convincing enough that i tried it and lost my cape. i survived the level anyway and then he immediately died again, so he offered to make some frozen chicken nuggets while i played the next level. then he put a bunch of habanero pepper sauce on one of the nuggets as a prank, so my face was numb from the spicyness.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sunken city ftw

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

that ivy guy posted:

Wet Dry World is forever one of the coolest and most abstract level settings

Mario 64 has a lot of cool but abstract level settings, which is no complaint about the cool but less abstract Odyssey settings.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Reading about it, it seems very similar to Out of This World, which we rented a bunch of times, but I don't think ever beat until years later on an emulator.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Same devs (Delphine Software), though different people designed them

yeah, it looks visually very similar and a lot of the gameplay elements are similar, but Flashback seems crazier and a little more puzzle focused

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I played this at a "Virtual Reality Expo" on this big, weird machine you had to look down into. I remember there was a wizard who would yell at you for being an idiot every time you got killed, which was like every two seconds.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i think the 90s virtual reality expo also had the first instance of Jordan's Furniture's Motion Odyssey Movie, which is a weird thing i still don't understand how it happened.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The online game service has replaced the LAN party as the center of many gaming communities. Earning achievements, itself, has become the activity that brings gamers together. On here, advertisements are always playing. What time is it? No time to look back.

ahahahaha

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

my morning jackass posted:

I am playing through wind waker hd and holy gently caress does the fast sail ever improve the game infinitely.

That, reducing the money you have to pay Tingle, and the improvements to the camera all make the game so much better

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

extremebuff posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1024324008580399105

during the tourneys and stuff they showed that smash balls have more complicated behavior too, they dont just float around predictably and hover away. they can become heavy and start rolling around, start zipping around super fast, and their health varies a lot so a fake smash ball could become a hot potato. i cant wait for this game lol

129 days, it's going to be good

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*reaching for my flame war popcorn, only to find that xbox ambassador has disabled food items* haha, whoa, things just heated up!!!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

all aboard the smash bus

https://i.imgur.com/brPPqGD.mp4

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i think i see where my mistake is coming from now - I should have searched using Microsoft's Bing

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

NienNunb posted:

I hope Nintendo brings back King K Rool and The Kremlings for the next Donkey Kong game.

hell yeah

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

a 3D Donkey Kong Country game not tainted by Rare's weirdness would be pretty cool. basically just Odyssey with bananas instead of moons where you could switch between Kongs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Skylark posted:

I am REALLY wanting Tails to be in Smash and I felt very enabled by this direct cause they showed assist trophies and went straight to Knuckles... No mention of Tails. So hopefully he'll actually be playable!! Seems totally within the realm of possibility given all the other characters were getting 🙏

I think if we've learned anything about Smash Bros it's that if you're willing to wait long enough, nintendo will make all of your dreams come true.