Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I need to know if it's a console/handheld hybrid because that's the only way I can play Monster Hunter with a real controller and I love the series but I really don't think I can play much more of it on the 3DS my hands are too big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of Nintendo, anyone here been to the big Nintendo store in NYC? i'm bumming around the city for the day tomorrow and wondering if it's worth a trip there. also do I get any cool Spot-/Streetpasses if I take my 3DS there

It's worth it if you're in the area already. It's kinda small but it's packed with neat stuff and cool merchandise. When I went December they had a Mario Maker exhibit with some original concept art by Miyamoto and some other folks from the old Mario games which was pretty cool to see.

But I don't think there's enough there to specifically plan a trip to that part of town. My girlfriend and I literally stumbled upon it when we were dodging Christmas crowds and had a good time, it was some Harry Potter Finding A Secret Magical Shop poo poo.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Yeah my wife wants to check out the Rockefeller Center which is like two blocks away from Ninty so I figured I'd dip in there while we were around, thanks. Debating whether or not to lug my 3DS around all day while we're there, I fuckin love Streetpassing for real.

Go then you'll like it.

Re: Streetpassing, Starbucks used to act as a hub but it hasn't been working for me lately, they changed their WiFi from att to google and I suspect that broke whatever their thing was.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

Miiverse had better continue on the next system.

They will, Miitomo is a thing that's reasonably popular and I assume the "pay gold (or real money!) to dress up your Mii" thing is intended to tie into other Nintendo stuff instead of just existing in a random app that does nothing else.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

elf help book posted:

i feel like if no new games were ever made again, i would still have good games new for me to play for the rest of my life

Same but I think this would be true even if it was just stuff I already owned. It'd definitely be a longass time to get through the backlog and that's before taking into account stuff like Civ and Xcom that I could dump a ton more hours into if I ever had time. And then replaying Metroid Prime every year etc.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

You know how there were those stories about people who wanted to kill themselves because they couldn't live in the world of Avatar or whatever. That's basically me but because I can't play Breath of the Wild right now.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I can't wait to get home from work and explore the vast Hylian Wilderness on a big tv, finding some shrines and getting their fast travel points so that I can solve their puzzles during my commute the next day while playing on the portable NX tablet.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

As long as it becomes their new handheld and thus I can play Monhun on a real controller I'll be happy. It will play Zelda so we know at least it isn't like a phone app or something.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm realized I'm ok with it if it's primarily portable. I'm pretty stocked up on gaming in front of a tv, but wouldn't mind a more powerful portable that hopefully is a little more comfy to hold onto.

I actually brought my WiiU upstairs to play on the pad in bed or on the balcony :D

Lmao I've been assuming it's a portable that docks into the tv but I just considered what if it's literally like a gamepad that doesn't use a tv or anything, some insane monkeys paw thing where its all portable and I'm doomed forever to play Monhun and all Nintendo games on tiny devices. Nintendo can't be that stupid but they also totally can be.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The NX is a millenial that plays games for you while you're out and about, you can call him whenever and he'll describe what's happening and follow your instructions so it's just like you're playing yourself even while you're driving to work or at the grocery store.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hell yes. Metroid is back baby

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I love the new Donkey Kongs but the secret worlds in both games are kinda underwhelming. The temples are awesome but the fruit sky stuff is a lame finish to games with otherwise great settings and music, and they're not really hard or interesting in terms of gameplay.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 27, 2016

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I've been playing my 3DS a lot lately and realized it's such a good system. I came late to the party and only got one last year because of Monhun but I have like a dozen+ games for it now and all of them range from very good to great. And there are a bunch more I need to get. It's one of Nintendo's best consoles.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

talking to my normie friends who heard about E3 they think VR is the poo poo and its the future etc. and i had to explain no it's the 800 dollar wii, but that goes to show these turds are being pushed hard. almost like tech companies are desperate to make the money back on their absurd investments

lmao

Most of my normie friends don't even know what the current consoles are much less that VR is trying to become a thing.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If Smash 4 U just had a decent classic mode instead of whatever the hell they threw together I'd have played it way more.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

tbh playing 3d world with my gf the game gets pretty engaging from world 2 on. It's not like, "hard" but the level design is sharp and fun, I never felt like I was just coasting and I still died a bunch. And it is actually quite tough for someone who hasn't been honing their gaming skills for decades. If they made it harder it'd be dumb imo.

Same with 3d land which I've been playing off and on, I haven't got to the hard levels but there are a bunch of bits I got past and thought if I wasn't an autistic career gamer that would've been tough.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

idk. games should get hard once the player has a feel for the mechanics, but mario games pull their punches until the very end. like kirby games though that doesnt stop them from being fun, i just really like getting my rear end kicked

Yeah I guess my point is I think the game is appropriately tuned for most of its target audience. I may be wrong because I'm trying to average out the difficulty between myself who has been gaming autistically for 25+ years and my girlfriend who has literally never played a game before. But I think a lot of stuff that you or I can do on autopilot is actually fairly complex if it's not hardwired in your blood. Like that autoscroll level early in world 3 was brutal.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 6, 2016

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

goferchan posted:

Ok it is on Wii U and here's a video that shows it off pretty well. Don't get turned off by the king constantly bitching in the vid because it's not non-stop like that in the actual game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M-mNbs5mR0

The main gameplay mechanic is those ropes that you tie to the chariot but you also unlock other tools later that let you do different things. It's not one big open world like a Metroid game but instead there's a world map and a bunch of levels have alternate exits like in SMW that unlock different routes. The game is really fun honestly and I never hear anybody talk about it but I imagine that's because the co-op is local only and even though the game is technically playable single player I feel like it would be kinda soulless and it's my understanding it's impossible to complete some of the optional challenges without doing co-op (which were some of my favorite parts of the game)

This looks cool, thanks! I'll check it out.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Average Gamer: Monster Hunter 3U is pretty great, i hope they port the sequel to Wii U too so I can hunt more monsters without my hands cramping up!

Me, after poring over sales charts: I'm sure they will... *puts a gun to the back of his head as my eyes well up with tears*

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bill Barber posted:

If we're seriousposting here you're an idiot if you haven't already gotten out. That type of increase is not sustainable and if you're buying now you're way behind the curve.

It's not even out in Japan yet. You're right in that the bubble is gonna burst but not yet imo

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Every time I replay Metroid Prime I do 100% scans and read every one. smh at some of you.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hopefully it feels more like a gamepad and not a 3ds

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

*stares as a finger curls up on the monkeys paw* Wait is this gonna use circle pads instead of joysticks

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

breath of the wild. monster hunter 5. splatwon. mario maker X. gaming's ambrosia

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The reveal is definitely going to be Reggie walking out on stage playing it, pretending to have just noticed the crowd and being like "Oh hi, do you guys want to see what I'm playing?" at which point he docks it on the stage and keeps playing Breath of the Wild on a huge screen.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I mean if it's truly portable then it's going to have the handheld games too. This is loving awesome.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

they just released the new 3ds its not getting portable games lol

this. it goes on and on about specs and then at the end theres a short paragraph "this is just a rumor and when we contacted nintendo about it they told us to go gently caress ourselves"

The New 3ds will have been out for two years when this thing launches with like one and a half exclusives in that timeframe, the 3ds itself is older than the Wii U. If the NX is actually portable why wouldn't they release handheld games on it?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I got an update that they added some of my all time favorite games to the SNES virtual console on 3ds but I didn't bother clicking on it because I've already bought them on the Wii and paid the upgrade fee on the Wii U eshop and I assume they want me to pay full price to buy them again.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Aston posted:

between the Wii U and a gaming PC you can have every game worth playing for like the last 15 years

*sheds a single tear and turns framed picture of bloodbourne box art on its face*

I looked into this, and it turns out this setup can't play Link Between Worlds. I give this claim Four Pinnochios.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

mabels big day posted:

Its because the gameplay is fun but not especially hooking, and the other parts of it don't really keep you coming back either.

It would be way better if the "levels" didn't force you to exit the mansions. It loving sucks that anytime you do anything E. Gadd calls you and tells you you beat the level and teleports you away and is like "guess what, my research says there are more ghosts!" and then teleports you back to the entrance of the mansion so you can walk back to the place you just were at.

It's super charming and well presented though. I like it and I don't.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I could've sworn there was an escape sequence in MP1, wtf...

And the steampunk skyworld in 3 is really cool. Rest of the game is just alright.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yea that's fair, I only played 3 once right when it came out so I don't remember it well.

Whats the final verdict on color splash, I want paper mario but I heard it's some watered down adventure game thing

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

NX Miiverse will support miitomo clothes and I, the last miitomo player, will be vindicated with the marvelous clothing options I've been gathering.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fungah! posted:

ohm y god this is everything iw anted

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

[hijackers see get a peek at Zelda BOTW...next thing you know theyre gathered around it laughing and having the time of their lives and have given up their brand of violent jihad] Looks like Nintendo saves the day again

Me on United 93: wait guys don't rush the cockpit yet, Im almost at ganon. let's hold on and see how this plays out

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tbh its unlikely you'll be able to have more than a handful of games at a time if it's 32gb internal storage. Wii U is already pushing it. Unless you want to carry around an external ssd everywhere.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's SD-card compatible.

Hell yes... The boys at Nintendo have done it again

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

HORMELCHILI posted:

its going to be one of those things where like, at first everyone laughed and wasnt sure about the tiny d-pad, but then the review builds are going to go out and everyones going to be talking about how they cant play video games without a tiny d-pad anymore, and how the only true way to play the new zelda, is with a tiny little d-pad near the top of the controller.

The true gamers will ship their Switches to some guy in Seattle who charges $200 to solder a bigger dpad onto the controller.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I've moved past Switch euphoria and now I'm depressed I have to wait six months to play this drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I wonder if wiimotes/nunchuks will still work with this thing, since the split up controller isn't that many buttons. It's been nice to be able to get a 4 player Wii U session going with the junk I've had lying around for a decade instead of needing to spend hundreds on controllers.