Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
A low key nightmare scenario for me as a homeowner is a catastrophic water flooding due to a burst pipe. I've purchased a number of zigbee/wifi water monitors for our toilets, but I"ve been hearing about central water shut-off options. Has anybody installed one/using one and how do you like them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

I always try to shop around for home insurance comparisons this time of year but I live in CA and looks like my zip code 'isn't an option' for some of the major insurers. Should I consider going with a local insurance agent or is there any other recommended aggregator for home insurance I should be looking at (hippo, policygenius)? I know it's always a pain in the rear end so I figure I'd ask other people their experience with this.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

oh rly posted:

I'm in So Cal living in a high fire risk area in Chino Hills. No insurance company will cover us without using CA Fair Plan for fire except State Farm.

We've owned this house two years and insurance has gone from 3200 to 3300 to 4000 per year with State Farm. I doubt they would give us a new policy so we're kinda grandfathered in.

Were staying with state farm at 4k per year because they aren't requiring us to go with CA Fair Plan as well.

Any insurance company who wants us to use CA Fair Plan wants 6k+ per year.

State Farm just raised our rates 20% this year instead of canceling us. I expect to be not renewed with State Farm for 2025.

MarcusSA posted:

I am with State Farm and my dad is with State Farm (has been for 30+ years) and we both expect to not be renewed soon. He’s up in Paso Robles in a high fire area as well.

Huh, I'm also in So Cal (951 woot) and also use State Farm. From what I can gather looking at the firemaps, I'm not in a high-risk area but my call this year for comparing rates was met with ??? regarding my zip code hence my question. I think I'm going to cautiously put down the phone and just keep State Farm given everything else I'm hearing on here. Thanks for the heads up

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

I was walking around our backyard and noticed these roots heading towards our AC units and my wall. The trees they’re coming from aren’t very large, maybe 8-10 feet at a maximum and I’m not super attached to them either.

I’m assuming these need to be cut, how can I ensure that this is removed properly and/or not tunneling into my foundation? I can probably dig down and cut these myself with hand tools but is there anything I should be weary of regarding the concrete slab for my AC units?

adnam fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 11, 2024

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

8-10' tall or wide? How long have you lived at this house? Is it possible there was a much larger tree in this location previously? I am skeptical that an 10' tall tree would have surface roots that large and far away, and they look pretty dry and old, but I am not an arborist.

I am bad at estimating height, but I also realized those are the trees post winter trimming. I’ll go ahead and cut them myself. The concrete AC slabs look pretty intact though and they remain level so that’s reassuring.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

devicenull posted:

Are they even real concrete? The usual thing to do these days is a pad like this

I really just assumed they were concrete but I think that’s true. Either way time to pull out some biggie shears and go to town on this guys. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

I'm seeking advice on if there's any way for me to hire someone to confirm a slow pool leak from a neighbor vs just talking to him directly. I live downhill a mild slope from my backdoor neighbor who installed a pool about 2 years ago. We noticed over the last 2 years (but didn't put two and two together until recently) that the backyard corner/path directly downhill from their pool is filling with water more frequently, staying damp/not draining after rains ever since they installed the pool. We actually removed and reinstalled a DG path since it was flooded and staying wet (but thought that the flooding came from the torrential California rains) about a year ago.

I just hired an landscape person to look at our irrigation system (mostly mulch/trees, no grass) and he also didn't see anything beyond small leaks that were easily repaired. Otherwise, no major leaks but he pointed at the retaining wall as being the source of water.

I will probably talk to the pool owner directly behind me, but I was seeking guidance on what I should be asking him, I was thinking of the following: I am having water pool at the base of my property behind your pool. Are you having to refill your pool frequently, and if so can you do a pool leak test?

Below is a photo of my irrigation guy pointing at the retaining wall/slope he thinks the leak is coming from, directly behind that fence is the location of the neighbor's new pool.