Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

On the topic of this upstairs safe question, I've always wondered, how much is your average upstairs floor in a house rated for? I figure it's got to be enough for a couple of fat people standing close to each other to not crash into the downstairs, but on the other hand there's got to be an upper limit to that where it's inadvisable to stick heavy machinery up there.

edit: would it also be a house fire consideration? I can't imagine firefighters would appreciate 500-600 pounds of safe + guns dropping on their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Idk about steam but in the supermarkets here I usually see the Rug Doctor I think, a big rear end carpet cleaner. Sprays water (hot?) on the carpet, agitates and sucks it back up. Always looks super nasty in the collection tank. Works well. Generally not worth owning but worth renting when needed. A little spot cleaner like the prior post is fantastic for spills or pet stains or whatever.

Don't steam clean wood floors. That came from my trusted flooring installer. It's injecting your wood with moisture and that's bad, it can warp. Just mop them with a moist, not dripping wet, mop. I really like to hit them with a vacuum cleaner, with the right attachment so there's no beater on it, to pick up dirt from any cracks or crevices.

Can confirm that Rug Doctor will pull some loving poo poo out of your carpets, holy cow. I make a point of renting one every time I switch rentals because it goes a long way towards making the place look nice enough to hopefully get your deposit back, and the rental is cheap.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Get a stud finder. Super useful, fairly inexpensive.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Like that's per trip right? It's a shopping basket and later is a trash bin, fish tank cleaning bucket, stuff holder, car wash bucket, stoop, chair.. tht list goes on.

Hit the bottom with a drill a few times and it's the cheapest large plant pot in the store.

edit: by like. . . a third. I think similarly sized purpose designed plant pots cost like $15.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lawnie posted:

did you know you can pop your peppers into a closet in your house over winter and they’ll come back the next year better than ever?

Ok, so I've read this a few places and how's that work? I've got like . . . six or seven buckets full of pepper plants and they're not going to over winter well here. Last year I just put them inside and called them houseplants over the winter, but I'd like to avoid that this time around.

Do you cut them down first? I'm reading online about people cutting off the main trunk/stem thing with like 3 inches poking out above.

Do you water them at all? Again, seeing people saying that you just slash them and throw them someplace dark with no water for a bunch of months and they'll come back when you splash some on.

I'm just skeptical as hell and don't want to kill my peppers, but if that's all it takes gently caress it I'll start cutting and starving them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Alarbus posted:

Hearing protection. With spares if friends or family are stopping by to help.

Can’t emphasize this enough. A few months ago I had to cut one board with a circular saw and figured I’d be fine.

It was not fine. Dumbest poo poo I’ve done with my ears in years. Stopped half way through and went to get my ear pro.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lawnie posted:

To add another emphasis: look up how to use disposable earplugs. Almost no one does it correctly and they’re not getting the protection they think they are. It’s extremely important to straighten your ear canal and get full penetration with the plug.

Yeah, you want to be pulling the top of your hear to get it seated right. Here's the video I tend to point people to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S20hJqoauE

Something I'll add is that a lot of construction type noise is probably OK with just earplugs or just over-ear ear protection, but if you're doing anything really loud double up. I'm a huge, huge fan of using in-ear earplugs under electronic ear pro. The plugs and muffs kill most outside sound, while the electronic earpro is still piping in enough that you can hear someone nearby talking. It's the best of both worlds.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

As someone who hosed up caulking a sink a while ago I’ll say make sure to use the silicone. That was my noob mistake and I had to scrape it all out and re-do it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Does anyone have advice on shopping for ovens? Ours is pretty obviously on its way out and it's a piece of poo poo anyways. If I'm reading the serial right it's also a 14 year old piece of poo poo, so we're not going to bother trying to fix it.

We went around and looked at a few stores just to see what's around and frankly it was all confusing as hell to me. There is loving zero information about them, either in the stores or on the websites. Best buy wanted us to scan a QR code to look at the specs on their website, but the website info was also lacking. In particular, we do a lot of baking so it's important to know how hot it will get. A few years back we had an apartment with a really lovely oven that only went up to 425 or 450, for example. The one we've got now is crap but goes up to 525, which is good for breads. We want something that will at least hit 500, but amazingly zero ovens we've looked at list the max temperature. The guy at best buy just shrugged and said that we'd have to plug it in to see that and he can't do that. I was flipping through manuals in the store and they didn't seem to list it either. I think it's nuts that I can look up what factory in Taiwan made my RAM but somehow I can't get basic specs on an oven.

Anyways, that gripe aside, what are the brands to avoid? We're mostly looking at LG, Samsung, and GE (because that's what was available) electric models in the ~$800-1100 price range. I've got a weird mental knee jerk reaction that says GE is poo poo, but I might also be remembering a relative complaining about something in the 90s so I dunno. Googling this is not helping. Any good resources that are trustworthy? Mostly I'm just finding clickbait Top 10 Worst Appliance type things, and they're all contradictory to the point where two back to back said that Samsung was awful, always buy GE and then GE is awful, always buy Samsung.

If there's a better thread for this point me at it. I just want to be able to make a halfway informed decision about this and it's maddening how garbage the info out there seems to be. If you all need any other info from me I'm happy to help.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

skipdogg posted:

GE doesn’t make appliances anymore.

Honestly I’d try to find a locally owned appliance shop with a knowledgeable staff you can ask your specific questions too. They’ll know the answers.

Not much of an option where we are, unfortunately. We'd be talking an hour-ish drive to find someplace that isn't home depot, best buy, costco, etc.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

therobit posted:

You should take the drive. Samsung and LG are total poo poo. Also what is your budget? I went through all the stages of grief when doing our kitchen remodel and ended up with a higher end range that cost $3500 and it doesn’t even go up to 525.

Budget's in the $750-1000 ballpark. $3500 is out of the question.

And yeah, that's half of my issue. I don't want to get the fucker home and find out it doesn't go over 500. I have no idea why they make finding out the max temp so hard.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

I suppose the other question is does your current oven actually go to 550 or does I just think I goes to 550?

It gets there, or at least close enough that I'm not going to wring my hands. The last time I screwed around with thermometers to figure out how it behaved I noticed that it would get up to the higher temps, but that you had to give it a couple minutes after it said it was that temp before it was really there. So set for 525 and give it five after it dings.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

Same reason people spend that kind of money on watches when a $20 casio tells time just fine

Look at this bougie rear end in a top hat not watching the sun’s progress across the heavens for $FREE

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Motronic posted:

I believe you don't go on the list until you also own a belt fed .30 or .50 cal full auto. That would be constructive possession of a technical.

So technically technical possession? :haw:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Old houses break in different, equally exciting ways.

All new houses are alike; each old house is broken in its own way.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hadlock posted:

In terms of appliances that warrant significant cash outlays, a box you put food in and then gradually gets hot over a 30 minute period is not where I would choose to invest that money. Maybe you bake an unusually large amount of cookies and double size meatloaf, or something, or your wife is really into souffles and needs that ever so sightly higher grade thermostat

I mean, I'll be the first one to laugh at people spending $USED_CAR money on an oven, because some of that high end poo poo is just dumb, but if you cook at all a nice oven is a really, REALLY loving nice thing to have.

It's not just "put food in box and make hot." The first thing you pay for is actually having the temp you want be the temp you get. Your typical rental-grade oven needs a stand alone thermometer and a conversion chart for what the oven says and what it really is. That's not being an elite Tier S uber-chef, it's pretty fundamental for making the food you put in your "make it hot" box taste decent. You don't need to drop megabux, just don't buy the absolutely cheapest garbage that you find at Home Depot.

If you're gong to drop any money in your kitchen at all, a half-way decent stove/oven is where to do it. I could live with hosing my dishes off in the yard as long as I had a decent oven.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

That is... interesting logic.

It's an extremely :goonsay: take.

Exhibit 1: the belly full of tasty pork loin I cooked an hour ago in a functional oven.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Also corded electric mowers are great. It's only awkward the first time or two while you get used to where everything goes. Don't go too low on the cut or it will get all muddy.

Cordless are also pretty decent these days if you have a typical flat, suburban lawn. If you've got an acre of hillside out behind your house obviously they aren't for you, but they're great for what your average quarter-acre-lot suburbanite needs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Armauk posted:

Yes.

I can be flexible on budget so long it's not made in China.

If you're firm on not made in China I'd start hitting pawn shops for brands that you know are made in the US.

edit: also:

Motronic posted:

Which begs the question "why?"

If you are using this as a proxy for quality you're wrong.

If you are doing this for other reasons you are probably also wrong.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If you're dead set on having a made in the US toolbox I can't give you any suggestions off the top of my head, but you'll probably have the best chances if you do some research into who manufactures toolboxes for the US military. Maybe some federal agencies. There are a good few companies who exist solely to fulfill mandates that the government purchase "made in America" goods. The ubiquitous Skilcraft pens and other office supplies you'll find in government offices exist largely for that reason.*

But, you're going to pay more than you would for a similar quality toolbox made by pretty much anybody else.

If you're really, REALLY dead set on it you might look into surplus auctions, or at least business that liquidate surplus auctions. I know someone who just picked up a very large, locking fireproof filing cabinet for cheap from a military base that way.

Alternatively, do like my grandpa did and make your own toolbox.

*well, kind of. Way back when they started as a way to get work for blind people, but at this point it has more to do with made-in-USA legislation than employing people with visual disabilities

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

tomapot posted:

I inherited these from the PO, hanging onto them in case I build a disco room.

I'm pretty sure my little sister had exactly those faceplates (plus ones for the light switches) when she was in her princess / sparkle / pixie / etc phase.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

My understanding is that you can’t get the smell out without gutting the dry wall.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Don't discount people being superstitious and weird and not liking something for strange reasons. It doesn't matter if it's rational, it still reduces the buyer pool and can depress the price.

I mean, at the end of the day it's the same reason Flipper Grey exists as a thing - because a sweet wood paneled library and a living room with a hot pink accent wall might appeal to you or me, but it's going to turn off enough prospective buyers that the safe bet is to slap on some HGTV-approved shade.

edit: that said, I'm sure there is also a core of truth to it when it comes to HOW people died and what happened to the body afterwards. A messy suicide that didn't get discovered and cleaned up for a few months could be a significant problem for much the same reason as a cat piss livingroom.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

AHH F/UGH posted:

In Japan, if someone dies in an apartment or a house it's basically perma-hosed. The people there are extremely wary of those homes and wouldn't live in them if you gave them to them for free. There are a few select people who realize it doesn't really matter usually, but like 98%+ of the population would never live in a house where someone had died.

Strong post/av synergy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

I've changed my mind about dying at home after my stubborn rear end Pops went through it back in 2019. It was really awful for my Mom.

Depends a lot on your situation. It was a very positive thing for my wife’s grandma.

This is a profoundly YMMV issue dependent on your specific circumstance.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

Sure - of course but for us It was mostly lack of equipment like an IV to deliver drugs instead of crushing them up and putting them in water that he'd usually spit up, hoists to get him up out of the way to change sheets or bathe, etc etc and the support that a full hospital would have for the last 90 days where he was basically an immobile zombie staring at the ceiling with his mouth open. The hospice people would show up a few days a week at most go through some checklist and just drop off more pills, morphine and bibles.

Yeah, in their situation it was a 90-something year old lady who was lucid and could eat on her own to the end (and by the end they were bringing her fried chicken and all the junk food her doctors said to avoid in the past decade because gently caress it) but needed some help getting to the bathroom. Kind of bed ridden plus I guess you'd call it?

Either way, she passed with literally a BK quarterpounder on the night stand next to her and the most recent history book she was devouring on her chest, people thought she'd just fallen asleep for at least a couple hours.

Meanwhile I was party to a friend's grandma who died at home following a long bout with alzheimers and it was closer to what you are describing. Just loving hell for everyone involved.

On the third hand my wife's other grandma had some serious cognitive decline at the end and was in a home and it was a really good choice for everyone involved. She got scaling care as her condition progressed and at the very end had professionals dealing with the nitty gritty rather than pushing that off on her kids.

LIke I said, it's profoundly YMMV and something that is going to be extremely case by case.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Man, I want to meet the guys who walked into that place and said "yeah, this is a lady I wanna gently caress"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hadlock posted:

SD memory cards for cameras, raspberry pi etc are also, weirdly, a major counterfeit item. Buy those from your local photography shop or somewhere like Adorama.

At this point I just assume anything on Amazon is probably a counterfeit and treat it like the portal to Alibaba that it is. When my mouse died yesterday at the beginning of the work day and I was stuck using the poo poo awful trackpad on my work laptop? Yeah, sure, give me the nonsense-named brand with the horrible english in the product description. It's a $15 bluetooth mouse that you say you'll get to me before the end of the business day, whatever, don't care. Printer paper? Cool, give me whatever. Sponges? A cheap wristband for my fitness tracker? Random plastic pots for growing seedlings? IDGAF, as long s it's even vaguely what the product claims to be we're good.

Anything even slightly expensive or where I need the actual, legit item? Fuuuuuck no.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

redreader posted:

We have 2 rooms (one above the other) that get REALLY REALLY hot when the sun is out. They bear the brunt of the sun and the rest of the house isn't so bad. They have blinds, and closing them makes very little difference. The only solution I can currently think of is blowing air in or out to or from the rest of the house, or turning on the AC. What is a normal solution for this kind of thing? They both have ceiling fans which are generally turned on a fair amount.

Box fan in the window set to blow out would be my first step.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Does it have to be white wood?

Sailboats solved the decorative wood outside 24/7 it's called spar varnish, it's pretty cheap, looks nice enough, and should go 2-3 years between coats, maybe more. There's other varnishes as well, but spar varnish is unusually weather resistant

If they're doing butcher block I'd assume they want it to be food safe. If you're doing any kind of cutting on it varnish is also a bad idea for obvious reasons.

Unless it's just decorative butcher block in which case, whatever.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

From my experience with mineral oil on indoor cutting boards I’m not going to say it’s impossible but you’d be oiling it a LOT. My main cutting board gets re-oiled every couple of times that I wash it because it starts looking dry and I’m pretty sure I’m a bad, lazy cutting board owner.

I can’t imagine sun, wind, and rain would be gentle to a mineral oil finish.

From a food safety standpoint I’d also be wary of putting food on a porous surface left outside. And that takes you back to doing a thorough clean before use which is right back to having to re-oil it all the time.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Something else to note about stuff like cat piss soaked dry wall is that even if you're only worried about smell, it can come back down the road. Basically if the crud is soaked in and you successfully treat the surface, it can leach back out. I'll let someone with experience dealing with it talk to the issue, but my understanding is that on things you really don't want to replace (e.g. studs) the answer is to both clean the gently caress out of it then use another product to seal what remains inside.

From where I sit in the comfort of my not-cat-piss soaked posting lair it sounds like you might end up costing yourself more in the long run, both in terms of money and effort. If we're just talking about affected dry wall, well, dry wall isn't cheap but it's also not expensive. If I hypothetically owned a cat piss room I think my first step would be to take off all the drywall a good 4 feet up from the floor, dumpster it, and replace it. It's one of those things where I suspect that long term that's going to be cheaper than incremental approaches.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Even rat droppings aside I'd be worried about, well, everything else that having a house soaked in cat piss is going to imply about how well it was maintained and how much the PO was worried about water intrusion etc. Like, if poo poo was so bad that the owner was living with cat piss spraying up their walls I'd want the dry wall off entirely just to make sure for myself that there wasn't a literal rat's nest surrounding an electrical junction or some ungodly mold problem etc.

It's like seeing a friend who's got track marks. The obvious issue is probably just the tip of the iceberg and is a huge red flag that there is a LOT of other problems you're not seeing beyond the major thing that you're dealing with immediately.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

AHH F/UGH posted:

Does anyone know how hard/easy it is to get new appliances right now? I'd like to at least get the refrigerator coming ASAP so that we have that ready if there's some kind of supply chain problems with that stuff.

I you need new appliances order them right now.

We got a new stove a while ago because ours was clearly on the way out and it took about a month and a half. Nothing fancy, either, just a bog standard mid-grade electric stove/oven from Home Depot.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

AHH F/UGH posted:

So buy a refrigerator from the Home Depot that they have in stock. Got it.

The one we got a month and a half later was “in stock.” I presume it was in a warehouse somewhere in the region and it took a while to get it on a truck or something.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Here's some nighmare fuel from the crappy construction thread:

kid sinister posted:

I don't think I've ever seen such bad water damage. https://v.redd.it/jdiax95tsw481

Click through, it's worth a watch and it's short.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Verman posted:

Sound isolation, warmth/comfort mostly.

Also less sweeping.

I'm not even talking about gross poo poo, just the random amount of misc. crap like small bits of leaves and random crumbs etc. that you just generate by being in a house. Rugs hide those and it all gets picked up when you vacuum, while any kind of wood, tile, etc. surface shows them all and requires much more frequent sweeping.

Some people consider that an argument for carpets because they can just vacuum once a week or so and be fine, others think that's gross and insist on being able to see all the dirt so they can sweep it immediately.

(cue five page argument about what's goonier - living in filth or living in terror of the tiniest fleck of dirt)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Don’t forget estate sales. If you have any in your area they can be great. Go early if you’re after nice stuff or go late for deals on poo poo people just want gone.

Also elderly relatives, as ghoulish as that sounds. Quality furniture can, and should, be handed down and way too much of it ends up in dumps because no one knows what to do with grandma’s old dresser.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I have a "Jasper" sofa from Room and Board and it's AWFUL. In 18 months, the back cushions crumpled to nothing and are basically lumbar pillows now. The fabric is also prone to snags. My cat walked across the back of it and got physically stuck and pulled 3" loops out with each footstep

It's apparently their most popular and highest reviewed line but we can't stand it. It also seems built for people under 5'5

My wife and I have a distinction we make on furniture: "looking or living?"

Basically a ton of poo poo out there is made to look really nice but you should never, ever attempt to actually use it or it goes to poo poo. Say it's a couch: can it withstand someone flopping their rear end on it after a day of work? I'm not talking jumping up and down like a kid, just a good, adult, flop when you're burned out and ready to zone out with TV and phone scrolling. How about the fabric/stitching/etc? If you flop on it is it going to pop a seam?

In my limited experience a loving LOT of couches and chairs especially are really not designed for actual use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

PageMaster posted:

Are home gutters an easy DIY? We had a heavy storm which gave us to chance to see how the house does in wet weather since it rarely rains here, and I found there's one section of roof that doesn't drain into a gutter:

It's a pretty short section, but like everything else we've started I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually a huge pain that's going to cause more headaches than it seems. I would also need to deal with the roof tiles in that section as well.

How is water not just flowing under those tiles hanging over the edge form the ones behind them? They're sitting over the top of the bottom tiles on the roof proper, so if I'm seeing that pic right the water should be going right under them and god only knows where after that.

Like, I'm not a tile guy but from what little I understand you want to layer them in the same direction so water flows over the top, otherwise water flows under them which is bad news.