Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I would talk to the local garden center to see if there is anything that fits the bill. In the northeast you see a lot of pachysandra for this kind of thing, but they need lots of water. There may be some equivalents where you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Appliancechat: I knew Home Depot had a bad reputation, but their Labor Day sale on washers and dryers was ridiculous so I figured, well screw it I'll order from then and deal with problems, but spend less money. So we go to the local store and get a clerk to sell us a new washer and dryer, and pedestals because my wife said that they would be really good and I almost never do laundry so I'm not going to argue. Delivery day comes and they bring 29" pedestals for 27" appliances. I reject the delivery like the HD guy said to if there was anything wrong. And the installation guys got pissed that they had to put our existing machines back so they put them in the wrong places and tore our walk off rug.

Next the HD won't call back even after leaving a bunch of messages over 2 days, and finally a week later they refund the order when I go there in person to get them to do something (their clerk had ordered the wrong size)

Then when I go back to try to get the right appliances ordered, they say there are none of them left in the US. Also they haven't seen their appliance manager in days and don't know where she is.

They are right, all of the big stores that sell this model for this price are out of stock, and I'm like gently caress it until I look at consumer reports' rating of appliance sellers, and do you know who is on top? loving Amazon. Lo and behold they do have the right model at the right price and had it shipped 2 hours after I clicked buy, and I know for sure they have good customer support, so hooray Amazon I guess.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Sounds like a triage situation - fix the water penetration because that can wreck your house, cosmetic stuff like sod and stucco need to wait for free funds.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

moana posted:

orgy, duh. Put it in the orgy room.

Orgy couches should have a mottled color schem, duh

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

life is killing me posted:

Anyone have any experience with overly-sensitive fire detectors? The one in our kitchen goes off at the slightest bit of smoking from a skillet or pan, WITH the vent fan going at full blast. It's super loud and noisy which is a good thing if my house was actually on fire, but I want to be able to cook without the alarm going off 2-3 times every single time I cook. I have to open doors to get the alarm to go off, broomstick is a no-go. Is there a way to set the sensitivity to a little bit lower or am I up poo poo creek? Not sure taking batteries out would be a good idea.

There are two kinds of detectors, ionization and photoelectric. You want the second kind, it is less sensitive and is typically used in kitchens.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

DJCobol posted:

I max out my Roth and my HSA. I don't max out the 401(k) though because I dont like the options I have through my employer's plan. It's just in a target year fund, but the ER is twice as much as my Vanguard options in my Roth.

Well obviously contribute up to the 401k match if any. That poo poo is free money.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah this possibility is actually pretty scary. I've thought about investing in a fiberoptic camera, but I think they're kind of expensive for this one stupid job, but it might help me figure out how the house is wired for ethernet. (The builders put CAT5 all over the house but there are NO drops. I opened a coaxial panel and saw that the CAT5 is running up north out of it but I don't know where it loving ends, ugh.)

You can buy a rotoscope on Amazon for like 40 bucks. Hooks up to usb. Don't put it inside of anything living though.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Just get an electric dryer you nard

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Back of the envelope is you save 10 cents per load, do 1 load per day, and have the dryer for 15 years. NPV at 10% says you should do it if you can spend less than $250 compared to electric. (Assuming it is as safe as electric)

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
The pro line also has 20 more gallons in first hour recovery in the same sized tank apparently. That implies some different insides. It might be priced higher because of that - new efficiency rules require a heat pump if the tank is over a certain size, but this model is just under the cutoff, with a beefed up heat source. So for people with larger older tanks this might be an attractive option, so they slap a big markup on it to get that sweet sweet profit.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I have a Summit because I am literally made of money and I really used it quite a bit more than I thought I would. The rotisserie is loving awesome and you can do some smoking in it too - you can fit 2 birds on the spit, probably did 12 of them over the summer and even did the second turkey for Thanksgiving on it (and a practice turkey the prior month). It is a beast.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Devian666 posted:

I'm watching the number of urgent or motivated sellers in the Auckland market. It's a form of entertainment for me with people that have realised that renting out a McMansion has a terrible return when interest rates increase.

It hurts US housing too, because people with the same income level can't borrow as much when interest rates rise, so demand for housing falls, so your home is worth less. However, you only experience that loss when you sell, sometimes dramatically (see 2008, for example).

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
So Home Depot has a daily flash sale, today they are selling grills. Not much of a discount, but the Weber genesis is $100 off.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

QuarkJets posted:

Get a photoelectric alarm. They're unlikely to cause nuisance alarms due to kitcheny things and it's recommended by the IAFF that you replace all of your ion smoke detectors with photoelectric smoke detectors

The nest is a photoelectric alarm.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
You're a doofus don't buy a house with someone you aren't married to

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
So I got a home energy audit that is subsidized through my electric provider, and they said they recommended aero sealing my ducts, and that it would be at no additional charge (120 for the audit). I looked up the price and it is normally 1000 or more? Am I getting a great deal or am I getting scammed?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
lol if you aren't putting in a moat

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
So get some chickens to eat the centipedes and gain 2 locovore levels

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Goon from some other place checking in, we have some things but not other things.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Does it extend into the hill? Is it an enormous mining truck??

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Manwich posted:

All I see reading is that it saves on lime buildup on pipes. All the information comes from water softener companies, which means I need to take everything with a grain of salt.

:cawg:

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

It's nice I guess but your neighbor in the chair looks like an idiot

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Also I am seeing some mildewing appear at the lower edge of all of our windows, especially down in the basement. Does this mean we need a dehumidifier?

What is your interior humidity? Ideally it is someplace between 30-50%.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
The mildew is showing up because water is hanging around for a while. You could try running the bathroom vent for a while after using the tub, or put in a dehumidifier or something.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Drunk Tomato posted:

That's a pretty cool setup. I've heard of attic fans to push hot air outside, but yours seems better. It's like... Geologic cooling!

I am a bit skeptical that the basement has the capacity to cool a substantial quantity of air - but you may be able to reverse the stack effect.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Charles Mansion posted:

I'm going to be getting some estimates for a solar installation on my home and I'm curious if anyone has any general advice, warnings, etc. I know very little about the topic and I'm wondering if there's anything I should watch out for.

Be very sure about what happens when you sell your home.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Ugh I found a winged ant* infestation in our front room. There seems to be an Orkin in our area, should I go with one of the major companies or a local crew?

Is this the kind of thing where hippy dippy natural solutions can suffice or should I tell them to spray poison?

*please god not termites, I looked really closely and they seem to not be termites they do seem to appear to be ants but who the gently caress knows - need a professional. Ugh.

You can also put diatomacious earth around all of the floorboards, that will give them a bad time.

But on the exterior I would use serious business poison and then figure out how they got in and caulk or seal that somehow.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I don't know how big of a deal it is but weber recommends putting grills 10+ feet away from the house.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Lysandus posted:

Is speed queen the official goon appliance company? Because just bought a Speed Queen dryer.

Sure :feelsgood:

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

QuarkJets posted:

I've never really understood the upsides/downsides of tankless. It seems like a cool thing but if it's so great then why does everyone seem to have a tank?
/

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

porkface posted:

On the subject of water heaters, ours is getting well past life expectancy.

Is there ever a reason to replace proactively, or should we just wait for it to die?

I replaced mine because it ran out of hot water too often and it was 19ish years old and it was heated by oil. And two weeks later my furnace failed.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
turns out my toilet line is leaking somewhere between the second floor and the basement, and it isn't the wax ring, oh boy

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

There's a shower in the basement for some loving reason and the utility sink next to it both constantly drip water. That's my first thing to tackle in the land of plumbing so we'll see how badly I gently caress it up.

that's a decontamination chamber for working on bioweapons

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Christobevii3 posted:

What should I do first once I close on my house?

get all new toilet lids so that you can poopy without getting gross

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

QuarkJets posted:

I'm the stack of monitors sitting right in front of a fake fireplace

can i be the old ps3 games that will never be played again in the basement

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Rocks posted:

I've got a couple storage rooms in my house that are extremely musty due to basically no air flow getting there. One of them I'd like to store clothes, luggage, etc., stuff I hardly use so the door will be shut 99.99% of the time. I was thinking of adding one of these through-wall fans to the room that is installed and flows out to the exterior. Maybe on a timer so it runs during the day only.

Thoughts on this? What else can I do to "remove mustiness"?

Try putting in a dehumidifier and bringing down the humidity to like 35%.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Rocks posted:

Is a dehumidifier a long term solution? Seems to me it's more of a band aid fix. Need proper air in/air out no?

It will work as long as the dehumidifier is working.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
New plumber (old one was a no show twice) came and figured out that the prior owner had screwed into the waste pipe for the toilet in 4 locations, somehow. Not much room around the pipes so hopefully there is an in-place product to patch without adding much size to the pipe, otherwise this is going to get expensive.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Ixian posted:

Is it ABS pipe, old iron pipe, what? Guessing the former if a screw went through it but you never know.

If the holes are small (from screws) and in a vertical section epoxy will do the trick usually. If they are on horizontal sections you can do that as well but there's more chance of it failing in the years ahead, depending on where the hole is. Not that likely though if you prep it correctly and the hole is small enough.

If it is older iron pipe you can use epoxy and put a clamp fitting around it.

In all cases a plumber will tell you the correct approach is to cut out the pierced section and replace it. Which is the best way for certain but will also involve cutting out sections of the wall, etc. and in general be an expensive pain in the rear end as you know, particularly if it is older pipe.

It is a vertical section. He's suggesting using a combination of epoxy and maybe the rustoleum silicone tape, replacing the pipe would involve some serious renovation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Plus side of detached home living: in the last month I've seen foxes, geese, ducks, deer, rabbits, a heron, bats, bluejays, feral cats, a groundhog that was not scared of me, cardinals, robins, frogs, snakes, and coyotes in my yard. It's a loving zoo out there.