Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm no lawyer, but that might actually be illegal? Like, people die due to lack of air conditioning. Maybe not in 90-degree temperatures, but in 100-degree, sure.

And the grass poo poo is just dumb.

Cities also have watering laws that restrict how much you can water during the week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

potatoducks posted:

Not an expert obviously but that's a lot less than I thought it would cost. You're going to have a really high garage to house ratio.

One of my neighbors has what must be a 1,000 square foot auto shop style garage attached to his tiny 1960s ranch. A man with priorities.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Getting paid via weird P2P app, then claiming non-payment and going for double payment via legal system.

Zelle isn't a weird P2P app and it leaves way more of a paper trail than cash. My bank, USAA, signed up with Zelle and it's fine. Paying a contractor with it might be against the TOS or something though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I checked out a custom blind shop and they quoted me $700 per window at a minimum. You can get wooden blinds at Home Depot or Lowe’s that they’ll size for you in store and aren’t remotely difficult to install.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

howdoesishotweb posted:

The prior owners twice removed of our house added a 2 room addition of around 1000 sq ft. They went with all recessed lighting which looks nice but leaks a ton of heat. Last winter you could feel gusts on those below zero days. The one, smaller room had 6” fixtures which I changed out for LED retrofits. The central ceiling fan also felt drafty as well. Is there any way to seal the fan fixture without creating a fire risk? We haven’t used the fan at all, so second option would be ditching it altogether.

I looked this up because literally all the advice I'd seen about re-doing attic insulation had a step where you sealed all the air gaps around ceiling penetrations with spray foam and I was thinking about doing it myself, but it turns out the foam is super flammable and should never be used on a hot surface. An LED retrofit wouldn't get nearly hot enough but another homeowner could theoretically replace it with an incandescent one for whatever reason. Ceiling fan boxes wouldn't have the same problem and you can caulk around where the fan meets the ceiling.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fill your breaker box with mineral oil and seal it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do the locks with automatic bolts work with doors that require a slight pull to get the bolt to work smoothly? I’m guessing “not at all.”

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I've lived in a desert basically all of my life and that's only another argument for just not giving a gently caress; you shouldn't be wasting precious maintenance time on a futile quest to preserve some ugly outdoor furniture

Setting up a parasol takes no time at all if you're not a feeble sun-fearing basement goon

Yeah like why do you think everyone has brown houses in the desert

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Thesaurus posted:

of course all of the 1950s walls and poo poo were totally screwy and required extensive modifications.

Sometimes I get kinda mad reading reddit DIY posts about people remodeling their 2009 mcmansions where all the walls and floors are straight and the electrical boxes aren't hanging freely inside the wall to be supported by load-bearing romex and face plates

Then I read a post from a guy who finds out all his outlets have fake grounds and his wiring is knob & tube buried in asbestos insulation and I remember it can always get worse

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 8, 2018

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RoboCop 3 posted:

Realtalk: If you are a single person of modest means who works full time there is absolutely no reason to buy a house or own property at all. You might think that even though you’re single and work 50+ hours per week that you have the time, money, and perseverance to make it work.

You do not. It will destroy you.

If you have a spouse and/or kids who can help shoulder some of the burden, then maybe — MAYBE — it’s worthwhile. But even then, I’d advise against it. This comes the week after I paid about $4,000 to have my lawn renovated because Japanese beetle grubs literally devoured every blade of grass on my property.

Sorry, I’m just a little upset is all. I’m gonna go eat some ice cream. :(

My coworkers all have 3000sqft+ McMansions and live paycheck to paycheck and it just seems like an insane lifestyle to me. My place is a 1700sqft home from the 1960s and I feel like my fiancee and I can barely keep up with it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Queen Victorian posted:

Wow that's terrible and dumb. How would it be discriminatory if it's an amenity or you straight up make all new tenants use it? If I were a building owner and wasn't able to take measures to prevent new tenants from bringing in bedbugs because it's "discriminatory", I'd be loving pissed (and would find grounds to sue to implement said measures). Bedbugs give no fucks about socioeconomic status or cleanliness anyway.

There must be something missing from that story, like the hot box being mandatory for tenants of certain income levels or something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have had 0 issues with my Nest thermostat, though it's only hooked up to a hot water radiator system. I probably could've gotten similar functionality out of a standard programmable thermostat but the Nest tells me the weather when I walk buy, communicates with Alexa, and seems to be pretty smart about learning when to pre-heat so the house hits a certain temperature when I want it to. It was also free due to an Amazon mix-up in my mom's favor. It's also one of the few fancy thermostats that will work without a common wire.

I'm planning on getting one or two of the Nest sensors so I can finally get my upstairs bedroom to heat properly

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Queen Victorian posted:

Your hot water radiators aren't zoned, are they? If not, you might just need to bleed the radiator(s) in the room that's not getting getting sufficiently warm.

We have just been dealing with our radiators (refilling the system and extensively bleeding everything) so now I know a good deal about them.

They aren't zoned but they are baseboards. Does the same advice apply? One item perpetually at the bottom of my to-do list is to straighten and clean all the radiator fins.

I suspect the problem is due to the thermostat location because we supplement the heating in its area with a gas fireplace that makes it pretty toasty.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

So this is something I'm just less familiar with, but theoretically I enjoy open kitchens. Can you elaborate on why you prefer them closed off? And do you actually use your formal dining room? Growing we had them and they got used once a year and we had to dust them weekly.

I can understand not wanting to juggle a bunch of social interactions and have people get in your business while you’re preparing a meal.

Plus if you don’t have an extractor it can keep smells from invading the rest of the house.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but I seem to recall you are required by law to disclose any known major maintenance items or other issues the house has.

Does it apply to things that aren’t technically broken or a maintenance item? I never hear about lawsuits against the people selling houses with undersized, groundless knob and tube wiring.

I had a sewer inspection done on my house and got the owner to repair the line but it was actually busted.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

Apparently I should read the mail from the bank (I just put it off by a couple weeks, it's fine!)

My escrow is short not unsubstantially. I got the option to either pay off the shortage as a lump sum by sending them a check or they'll increase my escrow over 12 months. On paper, it looks like there's no difference. (Higher escrow - lower escrow) * 12 = lump sum payment.

I figure I might as well keep that money in the bank to earn some interest and just pay it off over 12 months instead of sending them a check. Did I miss anything? TIA

I had the same thing happen early this year and called Wells Fargo to ask that exact question. They told me there was indeed no benefit to paying it off as a lump sum vs. spreading it out over the year. Escrow stuff doesn't accrue interest.

I missed it too because the escrow shortage/overage bills look identical to the standard mortgage statements that I file away.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Painting question - I want to paint my baseboard heater covers but there's currently a ton of old paint globbed on to them. Would I have any success trying to sand them down or should I just bite the bullet and get to strippin'?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

This is state-by-state. Though now that Ally and their ilk are up to 2% it's a wash. California escrow accounts pay 2% interest so it was marginally beneficial to true up via a lump sum. Now it's a wash or negative as I forget and don't care if it's 2% APR or APY.

Huh, good to know. I’m in CO

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If anyone isn't already bought into a power tool system, Home Depot has a killer deal going on right now in their stores. Check the website to see if your location has this item:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1...P1837/305439006

If they do, you can get it and any two items from an extensive list of bare tools and batteries for $199 total. That's 5 tools and two batteries for under $200.

I bought a similar kit (mine came with an oscillating multitool, flashlight and a sawzall) with wedding money and I love it to death. The only thing I’d add to it is a mini cordless screwdriver but my old Black and Decker is still hanging on.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 18, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Ryobi charger does battery tending so I don’t see lifespan being much of an issue. I don’t keep it out in the garage, though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Technically you could undermine your fire barriers by drilling holes through the attic/crawl space to run the cable and failing to seal them back up. Which reminds me that I have to get back into my spider colony to do that...

It’s hard to imagine a scenario where somebody would act pissy over unpermitted network cabling though. Every house older than a decade probably has a ton of shady stuff going on with the switches and outlets that would be a greater concern.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That house looks like a drat FEMA trailer.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bought a bench vise and file today to sharpen the lawnmower blade. People charge for that? It took me 5 minutes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I love free bench vises and files.

Bring your sling blade by and I'll do it for $50

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I bought collapsible hoses from Lowes and I don’t give a gently caress if they break every year because they’re worth it

I think mine have lasted two so far but I bring them inside for the winter.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LogisticEarth posted:

Part of this is inflation hiding the true cost of things. I looked up "what did a fridge cost in 1970. You can find ads for what look like were presumably very nice (for the time) fridges for $700. In 2019 dollars that's...$4600. I bet if you spent $4600 on a fridge today, the thing is going to work. Part of that cost decrease is less time spent on QA, and bean counters min-maxing materials.

A $4600 fridge today would be a $600 fridge where one door is a giant Android tablet running a 4-year-old OS version.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m sorry I just can’t believe that savvy small business magnates might be fooled into buying poor equipment for lots of money.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Covering up wallpaper with heavily textured paint ain’t exactly the brightest move

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So what's the proper way of wiring a ceiling light besides letting it dangle off the tiny ground wire while you do the rest? I've replaced a few but always felt like I needed a third hand (and replacing a ceiling fan was a nightmare).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TheWevel posted:

It’s not a brand thing though? Every ceiling fan I’ve ever installed has had a ball and a hanger.

It could be a brand, a newer trend, or just what you get when you spend more on a fan. None of the ones that came in my house have that and I'd guess they're 10 years old.

Elephanthead posted:

This brand is amazing. I did one 20 feet up and it was easy as pie. Even the wires had a quick connector you pre wired and just snapped together. Other then that I recommend you buy some zip ties for other things and just temp zip it up there while you do your thing and get the mount screws all started.

Ooh zip ties is a good idea. Never thought of that.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 23, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can you take a picture of the table with a bowl of strawberry-filled hard candies on it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gotta have those dull Phillips head drivers for all the screws that refuse to accept a nice sharp head

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

clover is the best because it tucks itself in for sleep at night and it's the cutest thing

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I ran a new outlet just to avoid having to put the TV over the god drat fireplace.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

When I was a kid I always dreamed of simulating the front row theater experience in my own home

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sepist posted:

Fortunately (I guess), in the span of 4 feet I have 11!!!! joists because the builder was smoking crack, so I guess the second floor is secure.

they should just make the whole house out of joists

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dazerbeams posted:

My house came with a satellite dish that has remained unused for the past few years and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. Should I bother removing it or just leave it be?

You can take the dish part off the mounting bracket. Hucking it off the roof is a lot of fun

I didn't bother removing the bracket because I would've had to fill the penetrations

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

skipdogg posted:

Just something to think about, older people often have mobility issues, so a basement MIL suite might make sense now, but would it make sense farther down the line?

I know when I built my current house it was a deal breaker not to have a guest room on the main floor. My MIL doesn't live with us right now, but probably will be moving in, in the next couple of years, so we bought this house thinking about accommodating her living with us. I planned my current house for what we need 5 years from now, not what we currently needed, as I'm not planning on moving again until my kids are out of the house in the next 12 to 15 years.

I'd just be wary of going into a home purchase already making tons of compromises. I understand the NoVA housing market is difficult though.

I’ll keep an eye out for a house with a guest room at the bottom of a steep, winding staircase.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Post a picture, get another estimate. They should be able to get specific technical reasons why you need a new panel.

Why should he even bother doing that if he has no expansion plans, no issues, and the panel isn’t one of those explodey ones?

I think an electrician would probably be able to come up with a genuine-sounding reason to waste money on a new panel. The guy I hire a lot pitches them to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can see clearly that each breaker does not have a dedicated Wi-Fi connection to Huawei

If you’re comfortable with that then so be it.