Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We just switched insurances. The new agency called me up yesterday about sending out someone to do an inside and outside inspection tomorrow. Our last company did not do this, relying on on drive by inspections.

Are there things in my house I should be concerned with for this? I am getting a slight level of anxiety from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bozart posted:

Patio is done, on to the deck. Time to see if it makes a waterfall in our basement...

May I ask what pavers you used, where you got them, and how much they were?
Planning out putting in one myself hopefully soon

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Judging by the black and gold fleur de lis some sort of Saints paraphernalia

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Roof in living room is leaking. Hooray. Looks like the decking is all hosed up judging by the plywood I can see via the hole in the dry wall I ripped. Got a guy coming out tomorrow assess and quote
:homebrew:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My attic is super shallow. I have maybe 3 feet of clearance at the peak. Climbing to the other end to find the roof leak was the least fun experience in my life.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

LawfulWaffle posted:

Any recommendations for a decent wi-if extender? We're in the middle of moving from a duplex to a real-deal house and while I haven't tested the internet's range (AT&T's guy is working on it at the moment), I'm anticipating similar problems to our old place where the bedroom didn't have the connection speed I wanted. Since there's now room for an office, I know more tech is going to be upstairs and a few walls away from the router. I'd like to use my Vita to play my PS4 while in bed, and I've dyed extenders in the past but I don't know much about them. Do they need to be aligned with the router somehow, or do they just amplify all so-if signals they pick up? What's a good mid point between cost and quality?

Also, if anyone's dying to recommend a brand of doorbell, I need one of those too.

I honestly don't trust any extenders or repeaters. Nothing beats a good wired AP in reliability. I'd try out a powerline adapter instead.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Went to pay the house this month and I was greeted with a payment almost $500 more than the norm. Just had our escrow analysis by the lender, I called and found out they didn't remove our previous homeowners provider that I canceled a couple months ago, joy.
Even after adjustment, still looking at $150 more a month than before. drat tax reassessment.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I have a wemo light switch. Aside from some issues with getting it to see wifi initially and the lack of support for it on my Logitech hub, it's not bad.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Please keep us updated because I love hearing about crazy neighbor comeuppance.
On a related note, one of our neighbors has an old BMW that doesn't seem to work well that is parked on the street near our house and my father in law desperately wants to play proxy annoying neighbor for us and call and report the car despite us saying we don't care about it at all because we have our own driveway and the neighbors car isn't even in sight from any egress of our house.
The lesson here is all inlaws are awful.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

SiGmA_X posted:

Report away!!! They should be keeping the broken cars on the front lawn because America. That is the real violation.

The car is causing literally 0 issue for us aside from stirring up my easily agitated FIL

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Did you not have contents coverage on your flood insurance? Mine covers up to 60k in contents before structure is even brought in.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Sorry to hear that man. The insurance game is never fun. Good luck with recovery.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Don't cheap out on tree removal services. Make sure they are insured. That's about the extent of the advice I was given when we got a pine tree out front cut down.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Hide a hunting camera in your bin, or nearby. Or...fill your bins with yellow jackets.

Do both and share the video, thanks.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If the neighbors have been unknowingly owning that property for however long, wouldn't they owe a ridiculous amount of back taxes on it now?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

drat Bananas posted:

Both my trees came crashing down in a storm this spring, I don't have to rake now! :woop:

I'm quietly hoping this happens with the 2 pine trees in our front yard that are on the strip of city property between sidewalk and road. One of them leans just slightly, luckily away from the house. I'm tired or pine needles and pinecones everywhere.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
New flood rate came in, canceled old policy and got the new one. $1300 refund check in the mail and dropping monthly escrow by over $100.
Feels good.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Appraisal for our refinance came in. $325,000 as is. We bought the house for 200K in April of 2014 and haven't really made any improvements.

And here I was hoping we would have just enough to clear the 80% for the refi

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I like unmarried couples that buy a house together. That's what allows me and my wife to buy up a house in a great neighborhood for rock bottom price and double the value in 3 years.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Me and my wife just pay different bills or expenditures and split monthly house payment in half. Personal debt is your responsibility and anything left is up for you to decide what you want to do. It honestly works out really well and lots of potential fights are avoided as a result.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Ashcans posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you handle stuff like retirement saving or health insurance? Do you plan that out together like house payments, or discuss it periodically, or just hope you're each doing ok?

She is self employed so I put her on my work health insurance (or I would if they weren't insanely expensive to add a spouse so I just have an ACA plan for her that I pay monthly instead). I have a 401K and she has a Roth that she maxes out.
Basically we split anything house related, whether it's an escrow overage check or a cost such as a repair or improvements.
If one of us is struggling for whatever reason, the other helps out. Everything works out well, to be honest.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Cement filled posts on the grass by the curb assuming that's allowed by code in your area

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Battered Cankles posted:

I imagine finding out which of my neighbors is failing to clean up after their dogs. If I can give video to the police, rear end in a top hat neighbors get tickets. What could go wrong?

I would do this in a heart beat. gently caress people who don't pickup after their dog.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

QuarkJets posted:

It's a question of risk

Centipede stings become relatively common when there's a big nest of them nearby, and they result in huge painful welts for several days (like you ever been stung by a wasp? That's a very mild version of a centipede sting). A centipede infestation is just about impossible to deal with because the little fuckers are super resilient and can go anywhere. They don't respond well to insecticides or commercially-available repellants, and there's not really any such thing centipede bait. You're basically hosed until you remove all of the debris from your yard, and then you'd better pray that they're not living in your walls because you will definitely never, ever get rid of them without bombing the whole house (and there are stories of centipedes just leaving and coming back when a house is bug bombed)

The likelihood of catching any disease, much less bubonic plague, from a mild rat infestation in the suburbs is extremely low. And if by some rare chance you do catch it, it's extremely easy to treat (with common antibiotics). Drywall damage is a couple hours of repair work at worst. A rat infestation can be cleared up with common preventative measures like traps and bait

So yeah, I'd rather have to deal with a rat infestation than a centipede infestation

Great, now I have one more house related thing to keep me up at night. Centipedes give me the God drat chills worse than spiders.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I think ours has the same line, they still took my can full of sheet rock I ripped out. They also took some old aluminum gutters I left out as well, but only on bulky item pickup day.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm in the market for a lawn trimmer. I had some hand me down 2 stroke model and I'd like to move away from gas powered. Is there a recommended brand for electric ones and should I spring for a battery powered or settle for corded? I have the extension cords and the outlet placement outside for corded if that's a good route.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Hubis posted:

Do you need a weed whacker or an edger?

Preferably one of those weed eater models that has the wheel on them to do easy edging because I'm awful at keeping it straight.
I might go with the battery just to not have to deal with the cable every time. Thanks for the input.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Motronic posted:

General question here.....what exactly is the aversion people have to proper gas powered small tools?

I mean, I get that if you leave crap ethanol gas in them they don't want to start. But this has been an entirely solved problem for quite some time now (google: trufuel and you'll find that as well as many other brands).

My mower and my honda generator are the only gas powered devices I feel like dealing with and both use standard fuel and I have very little problems with them.
I am not handy with engines at all and the less I have to outsource for repairs, the better.

There's also all the environmental and noise benefits people mentioned.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
In my experience, nextdoor has only been good for neighbors tattle tailing on people who park illegally, someone pointing out a person in a hoodie walking down the street, or someone complaining about stray cats. I simply watch for the entertainment and occasionally egg on people that are being ridiculous.

In short, I get very little actual value out of the app and suggest you not lose much sleep from your neighborhood boundary being messed up

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
How much slack? And is it just a bundle of cut cables sitting in the middle of the crawlspace? If you've got the slack, might be worth finding a closet from underneath and pulling them up through to it and terminating them in there

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We got our large outdoor couch from World Market and it's held together nicely for a year now. I think we stacked the poo poo out of coupons and a current sale and got it for about $500 or so. It's an L shaped sectional, pretty nice wood frame with white cushions, cushion cases are removable and washable.
They don't have the widest selection, but most of the stuff we get there has been pretty quality.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Christobevii3 posted:

What should I do first once I close on my house?

Cry.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I use a Honda EU2000i for my tailgate. It is a fantastic piece of machinery that sips gas and is super quiet. Would buy again

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Man, I'm super bad and impatient when it comes to floating drywall and I'm pretty sure even I would have done a better job than that

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Anyone with dogs use any of those poop composters in their back yard? I'm interested in getting one for our yard and was looking for opinions on if they are a good idea or not, which ones are best, and if I should rely on the enzyme tablets they provide or get something like meal worms which I've also seen recommended.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If it's an R22 system, you are probably better off replacing.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I just ignore the filter warnings and reset the timer on the fridge. I'm sure this will bite me in the rear end one day.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Uhh, gently caress that, I'd be on the phone with Home Depot raising a huge poo poo fit. They are replacing that unit

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

meat police posted:

Closing on a house soon and my realtor has been a real bag of dicks throughout. Would only send two week+ old house listings, so it was pure luck the Mrs. found our house online right when it hit the market. After our bid was accepted he gave our e-mail out to about a dozen shady insurance agents, tried to personally sell me on a MLM scam. He didn’t show up when I was having the place inspected/appraised. Then whined a lot because I didn’t use the inspector he wanted for kickbacks, and that I wanted to close a town over because it’s closer to my other errands. Ready to wash my hands of this jabroni.

I know they’re supposed to be ‘working for you’ but I’d be wary about the trust given. Protect ya neck.

I've seen some people in this thread recommending reporting agents like this to the local board or bureau or whatever you call it.
It might be nothing comes of it, but maybe this guy has a track record full of sketchy and this is what does him in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Home ownership update: I grilled for the first time this year last night. It felt good.