Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

howdoesishotweb posted:

Had my Samsung gas dryer refuse to spin today, learned how to take it apart and found a half melted idler pulley. Incredible that it would go 3-4 years into the life of the dryer after only having ancient Kenmores going on 20+ years before. At least it’s something fixable, my first thought was ‘poo poo new dryer time’. Of course no one locally stocks em so to Amazon I go.

samsung appliances are poo poo in terms of reliability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
standard joists that aren't like engineered are designed to still provide stability for a maximum protrusion of 1/3 into the beam itself. Beyond that, sistering joists is how you would strengthen them if somebody did gently caress up. It's also close to a structural wall.

But yeah probably some single idiot contractor did that or some previous owner.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

This is an amazing post. I know that you are venting, but I have a couple of criticisms/recommendations for future contract work that might help you out a bit. and some things that might ruin your boat.

1) The likely order that you did your termite inspection/spraying is incorrect if the issues are as big as you seem to make them out. There is a good chance that the termite company came out, saw the issue was big, and wanted to make a quick profit by spraying your house and then left. Since it's likely you're doing other work to possibly the framing, wood portions of your house, there is a chance that any flooring + wood that you bring in from the lumber yard has termites. If the termite problem was as large a you had thought, then it's probably best to tent the house. However, since you are doing a bunch of other work, it's best for the tenting/termite proofing to happen once you are mostly done with the work.

2) You're correct on your assessment of your attic and your crawlspace (I'm from Northern California, and understand the weather patterns in Southern California as well). Ultimately, since you have a rat problem, the real gut of the issue is that you need to find how the rats are coming into your house. This first requires an external assessment of the house structure: Are there any crawlspace entrances that are not completely sealed off?

To seal them off, you need to be using 1/4 inch steel mesh correctly stapled to those sections to close off the space. Then clean out the space and spray enzyme cleaner to help clear out the scent.

If you are not finding any entrances into the crawlspace, then they are entering through your attic. The roof is a very common place for rat entrances and is most commonly due to the type of roofing material making it easy to have penetrating holes. Before doing any additional work, this MUST be sealed off (or you will continue to have a further problem).

After this, you then take out all of the insulation, sanitize the area, then wait 2-4 weeks while trapping rats. Then, after things are verified sealed, you put insulation back in.

3) We had problems with our attic insulation + pest control contractors as well. However, I think this is best summarized as: nobody in the world really wants to be an attic contractor. It's filthy work, there's risk of hidden asbestos, and anybody who would want to work on somebody's house would rather be an electrician, plumber, painter, etc. It's also a major city in CA, and there are an infinite number of other construction related jobs since there is a high demand for building things.

Insulation is something that a handyman can install, but attic/pest control contractors like to charge an infinite cost to put it in because it's free money for them. So naturally, the right thing to do is to really distrust these crawl space/pest control companies.

4) 'Licensed and bonded contractors' in at least California tend to either be a super-minimum threshold or not really tied to whether a construction worker is actually good or not. The entire construction business is shady. What actually happens is every company has a license + bond under a single person in that company; that license takes like 1-2 years to get, is mostly a paperwork test + forms, and just proves that somebody can understand the bare minimum. Then, every other person in that company is unlicensed and 'works' for that single licensed worker.

This is further exacerbated by the fact that a good large chunk of construction in major metropolitan areas of California are non-permitted. This means that there have to be a huge ton of unlicensed people who are doing the unpermitted work or licensed people who are doing things in an unpermitted way. Not all of the unpermitted work is bad --- there are people who are doing unpermitted work because of the bureaucratic nightmare involved in actually filing for all of the permits in whatever city. Also, there are some people trying to avoid paying property taxes.

An example of this is my general contractor (who does electrical, plumbing, structural, and mechanical altogether and rarely hires outside people). My GC is a father-son combination, with the father having no license and the son having a contracting license. The son takes all of the permitted work, while the father takes all of the unpermitted work, but they all work on both of the projects. Their unpermitted work isn't necessarily bad, it's just that a bunch of clients dont want to deal with the paperwork and the city. Even though the father is unpermitted, he has way more construction experience than the son and basically leads all of the projects.

5) Contractors for remodeling in CA cities are hard to find because they can pick and choose. These contractors want expensive + complex + beautiful projects. So there is a higher chance that a contractor you hire for something small is going to suck, since you are small fish for them.

6) Hire the right person for the right job. There are an infinite number of people who can say they build anything. But the trend for the bay area, and likely riverside as well, is (and sorry for the stereotyping here, but):

Chinese people control all of the supply stores. This includes tile, flooring, cabinet making, trims, etc. This is because a lot of the materials these days come from China, and a lot of Chinese people have an inclination towards logistics. About 15-30 years ago it was mostly Hispanic people who controlled the supply, but that has changed. Even if you aren't interfacing with them when you shop at your local tile store, chances are the store itself is.

Caucasian people will often over-charge you for everything. This is because they put a certain amount of resources into marketing, which has a cost that is associated with it. They also want higher margins.

Chinese people are usually fast at many things, but weak specifically at (1) electrical, and (2) finishes. This is cultural, as a lot of Chinese people tend to be chabuduo about finish work. On the contrary, Hispanic people are often really good at painting, tiling, and all of the finer parts, since there are a lot of Hispanic apprentices who eventually became really good at it and then started their own business. Americans are best at electrical since there are often some engineering/safety considerations involved.

7) You have to inspect things very carefully, or contractors will find a way to do way less work. This basically means watching their work almost daily. I've made random inspections and looked carefully through every part of the project as they did our second floor, including showing up unannounced at lunch every once in a while.

You shouldn't breathe behind somebody's back obviously, but it's important to see things very carefully. IE: Somebody leaving stuff in the crawlspace? I would have yelled at them as they were doing it and asked to see the internals of the subfloor *before* they covered it up, since who knows what other damage there could have been.

Yes, I know this sucks as a person who has a day work job :(.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 15, 2019

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
You can feel free to ignore culture all you want, but that doesn't mean that.

(1) other people aren't racist and
(2) people pick and choose contractors from their own race a lot

There are a lot of multicultural cities in CA, and stereotypes are defined by cultural interactions. Yes, I know that a lot of people who talk about culture sound racist, but that's honestly better than pretending that you are perfect and unbiased at all. Don't conflate the two.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The opposite, more recently.

ADUs are now available for a lot of the bay area due to the housing crisis, with steps to speed things up.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeesh, I got another bathroom remodel bid, this time literally only looking to do two things

-replace old jacuzzi tub with a walk-in shower
-replace an old two-sink vanity with a new two-sink vanity

$45,000 :psyduck:

My 1981-original bathroom is looking better and better all the time

I got a high class remodel of a bathroom and bedroom in the bay area which has the US' highest construction cost and that didn't exceed 25000.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
lol yeah that's not the best way to find a contractor.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
It's only in Benchmark - they took the zoolite stuff they got from Thermador and have stated placing them into Bosch.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Here's another reason to run away:

Historical homes are difficult to acquire permits for because you have to go to your city's planning department to accept before you make modifications. I would never want to buy a historical home, because the city will be able to but in and make you do things that you do not want to do. Note: historical vs built a long time ago are different classifications.

The permits are a pain in the rear end, if you really want to buy it and then repair the windows. As these can possibly be structural things, depending on your jurisdiction, this might make even acquiring the permit difficult. You need to do the research on this before you accept the purchase fully.

Now even beyond that, suppose you want to replace the windows. Are they standard sliders or casements? Because sliders will cost you around 400-500 per window, with casements costing you around 1000ish to replace, for each window. This is for the material cost, and excludes labor. If you are in an expensive jurisdiction, the labor is going to be equivalent to the work done, so double the number. Heaven forbid you have to make a structural modification to a header.

Additionally, if you have to replace a structural header for some reason, this cost goes up faster.

The permit is also going to cost money.

The lead could cost you more. Now, I know folks in the construction industry who will take shortcuts and pretend the lead doesn't exist, but if you not directly connected, you're going to get hosed at every stage.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 14, 2019

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
You have two really major issues:

1) Counter space for preparing food
2) storage space for pots/pans/supplies/cabinet space.

(2) you can solve by having like temporary storage racks, but (1) will probably remain a problem.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
What's the load on the panel? If you start adding a lot of appliances, then the rationale reason for upgrading the panel will be to support those new appliances (as most panels of that age will likely be 100A). But do that when you add those appliances.

Otherwise, there is no reason to upgrade the panel. The brand is GE, which is generally trustworthy. It's not my personal choice of panel brand, but it isn't a danger.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I've never done reno work before but it seems like a three day job max for two people, like it would take more time to get materials in and out of the building than actually build a new straight partition wall and put up the drywall. Looking at zillow at least one other unit in the building has done something similar in the last ten years.

lol

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Actually answering your question for real, you are in the SFBA, where the market for renovation work is the most competitive out of any region in the entire United States. The price of a renovation will also be at least 30% above average, and at worst 50% to 100% above average. The quality of workers who are willing to deal with a project of your size is going to be complete and utter poo poo. So unless you already have a GC that you know, you're going to get obliterated by all of the people who will make offers for your project.

Additionally looking into the bay area, it is no longer a sellers market and probably an even market. In bay area terms, this means that condo prices and townhouse prices are probably going down, because the even market is pretty much boosted by SFHs. There is a very large amount of condo/townhouses coming up the market this year, all of which are going to be competing against other sellers. So the risk of your house value dropping if it is a condo is not looking good.

Finally, you are dealing with the CA permitting process in a region that is pretty strict. You are dealing with wall changes, which can drag on the remodel; you need somebody who can do electric work along with framing work and a structural engineer or architect to confirm the load bearing nature of walls before you submit.

So the question: do you have somebody or connection that will help you establish the ins and outs of the construction and material industry, esp in a competitive market like the bay area? Are you good at determining pricing for construction and pricing the value of houses (meaning are you personally a real estate agent)? If no, then holy poo poo you should walk away right now.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

El Mero Mero posted:

I think it has a marginally positive influence on home value too.

Who the gently caress told you this!?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

El Mero Mero posted:

I mean it's an easy question to answer empirically (more here and here)

And every single article you linked either statistically does not say what you want it to say, or is based on an examination of houses in Nebraska.

Neighborhoods with historical houses, if you examine the statistics, in aggregate are going to be more expensive than neighborhoods without them, because historical neighborhoods were mostly designated by rich white people who were in the early 1900s trying to (1) prevent other races from buying houses near them and (2) focused on the 'character' of their neighborhood. However, correlation does not imply causation.

Houses that are historical are a net negative to the people buying houses in the bay area because everybody knows that historical houses are terrible for costs, remodeling, and doing anything. And a poo poo ton of people in the bay area buy old houses to remodel them. They wouldn't touch a historical house ever (except ask me about the folks who bought a historical house, remodeled it unpermitted anyway, and then sold it lol). However, a lot of people want to be in neighborhoods with historical houses, they just don't want to be in one.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

El Mero Mero posted:

Did you just look at the first link? What's unclear about :

"The results presented suggest that historical designation results in a 16 percent increase in housing value [for mills act houses in California]. This result is significantly higher than the capitalization of the property tax savings would suggest, implying market value in the historical designation itself. "

Like, "what is the impact of this single well-defined element of a house" is really easy to study in the housing market. It's why every single house gets the same low value-high impact upgrades made before selling.

I'm 100% happy with not touching the poop, even in light of the credit's bonuses because there are a lot of non-financial drawbacks that I'm trying to fully understand as well as other clear financial drawbacks that aren't tied to tax credits or valuations (repair costs, the additional permitting process, etc.)

The argument that designation hurts valuations makes 0 sense however. It both sounds like a myth and also doesn't seem to be supported from any research I can find.

I said it in my post. But more specific to that particular example:

• The analysis was done on only two zip codes in California immediately introduces a bias into your sample selection based on the number of zip codes.
  • The analysis was done on San Diego, a completely different market from what you are considering
  • The analysis was done at a different period in time, which also introduces bias as your market group is now different.
  • The sample size is approximately 30, which is statistically error prone
  • In fact, proving that the study is not useful, the study already indicates that there are significant differences in number of br/ba, lot size, etc. In fact, specifically if you compare lot size, you will notice that in that exact study, houses that were historical had a lot size that was 14.5% greater than the houses that were not considered historical. If you consider the lot size as a sole determining factor (it's not) for price, then a 16% is easily within error bounds for equivalent $/sqft. So the study doesn't have a legitimate control.

In a super efficient market, price should reflect how much people want to buy the house. If enough people don't want to touch the poop because it will lead to clear permit drawbacks, heating drawbacks, and other things in maintaining the house, then that should be reflected as part of the price.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

El Mero Mero posted:

I mean this is why I looked at multiple articles. There are like dozens of articles going all the way back to the 80s using hedonic price models and every one of them find some positive influence. Here's a literature review that pulls together a bunch of them.

It's so funny because this is literally the least important point to me since I have no intention of selling and valuations do nothing for my life, but people get so loving amped about their property values that it loving obliterates the actual question I had, which is whether the easy to measure positives (like valuation and credits) are in any way worth the hard-to-measure downsides. I want to understand the hard-to-measure stuff, but you're stuck on what seems to be the easy-to-measure stuff.

Why yes, I am indeed aware that there is a lot of FUD literature about real estate out there.

The part I seriously don't understand is why you think that the impact of price specifically on houses that are already historically designated in the bay area is easy to understand.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

marjorie posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on replacing skylights? I'm getting my roof redone and the guy offered to install new skylights if I buy them since he has to take out the old ones during the old roof teardown anyway. Is it just "buy something that fits the hole?" The current ones aren't anything special (two of them are actually diy out of poorly cut safety glass or some poo poo), and I don't get a lot of sunlight so I don't think tinting or domes or whatever are needed.

Standard is Velux, available at home depot.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

joepinetree posted:

We ended up getting killer deals regardless, and since the stovetop was working just fine we just let it go.

That's not a deal, that's just the standard discount :)

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Get a permit to do some other work that is sort of tangential, and then hide the structural beam from the inspector when he shows up. Then, when it's final, it's as if you got the permit!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I actually bought my anderson windows all via Home Depot, at a 25% off discount.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Democratic Pirate posted:

Is replacing wired smoke/CO detectors an easy DIY task, or should I hire it out? The process seems straightforward, but the combination of electrical work and risk of an incorrectly installed system not catching a fire or carbon monoxide leak has me willing to pay an electrician.

I would recommend hiring a handyman to do this for you. I would charge you $400/hr + a flight to your house myself :)

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Residency Evil posted:

gently caress. Our shower is leaking in to our living room again. Last time, it was an issue with the caulking around the shower door, which I fixed myself after we had a plumber come out and water mitigation people come out and make sure there wasn't a more serious leak. I also ended up recaulking the bottom part of our shower completely after that. We were planning on repainting our living room to fix the water damage, but should my first step in this case be to hire someone to do a very good/thorough job of resealing the shower completely?
A shower leaking in the way you have described usually means the entire shower may need to be replaced. Is this tile construction with a raised entrance into the shower?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Whoa, I was JUST whining in the Discord that the roof company I signed a contract with in August had been ghosting me since September.

They emailed me moments ago to say "materials finally came in, planning to install November 16th". Neat!

Weather on Nov 16: rain rain rain!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
My main issue with Bifenthrin is that it only lasts 1.5 months once sprayed :(

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
That's no more significant than any other Black Friday discount that's often seen, but it's worth checking out if you do need more tools :)

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Motronic posted:

Now let's see if he follows me to the Bosch Benchmark club to have that sweet sweet totally nerdy and not useful at all countdown timer projected on the floor. (and honestly that whatever tech they got from the Thermador acquisition really does make things dry well.......I think it's still only in the benchmarks)

yeah, I have a Thermador and that dry thing does work really well. along with the nerdy countdown timer.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Even with a heat pump in ca the heat alone is about 15-17 kw/d

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Tezer posted:

A non-code compliant install may not trip a breaker, but that doesn't mean it would pass an inspection.

Given the track record of building inspectors here, I'm sure it would pass inspection!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I'll bite.

Residency Evil posted:

Just curious: if we want to rebuild a separate garage and put a nanny suite/office above it, how much are we thinking, ballpark wise?

A nanny suite above a separate garage is going to require a structural, MPE (Mechanical/Plumbing/Electrical) plan, and potentially an energy related plan. Formerly, a lot of in-law units used to be above garages when the structural requirements were way less strict. However, this is less common now because it's been noted that living spaces above garages have a structural weakness to earthquakes in many cases. Additionally, there are more fire-proofing requirements and difficult issues to consider from a mechanical perspective. Finally, in a case like this you are talking about a new roof above a 2nd story, which already adds more complexity to the project.

So now you have a full structural plan (3000-4000), architectural fees (7000-10,000), Plumbing/Electrical/Mechanical (Let's say 16,000), permit fees (varies), foundation fee (10-15k), finishing, drywall, roofing (13k-18k), framing (10-20k), and that's on the cheap side. That's assuming a rebuild on the same location.

This is before the material overhead, garbage disposal, and any other issues that may arise and you can see why the numbers go up. Mind you, this is the the price that a DIY GC would pay.

devicenull posted:

14x20 shed is ~$7k delivered. I have no idea what the foundation costs would be, but I'm capable of doing all the interior work. I'd only hire out hvac (previous mini-split quote was $10k) and the electrical for the sub panel (maybe another $10k?). We're still only talking ~$30k + foundation work.

I'm not at all sure this is big enough that I could get a GC interested, especially given what I've heard about how busy contractors are during COVID.

Lol, no. You are undervaluing the work that architects and GCs do, along with the work to construct a valid livable building. Sorry, if you were a person who was in the construction industry, then this could be doable for relatively cheap. However, because you are not, you must pay the consultant fee and the price for living for other folks who are knowledgeable in this area.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Yeah, my Thermador is also easy to clean, but it costs a lot.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The main elements for a decent vent hood are:

(1) a 8" pipe through your exhaust space with minimal bends in the pipe. Even 1 can sometimes strongly restrict the flow
(2) a minimum potentially 600 CFM hood, but more if you like to stir fry or splatter oil a lot.

Makeup air isn't (but sometimes, check your jurisdiction) required for residential, assuming you are ok with opening a window in the worst case.

As for hoods, I recommend https://elica.com/US-en/range-hoods. They are not insanely expensive but quite practical, although there are a bunch of other companies that will work too.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 23, 2021

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

B-Nasty posted:

Just like how bathrooms aren't required to have exhaust fans so long as there's an operable window. Then people wonder why their paint is peeling, corner beads are rusting through the paint, and they have mold spots.

I live where it gets cold enough that the last thing anyone is going to do voluntarily is open a window to ensure proper drafting or ventilation.

Not exactly the same analogy.

Tezer posted:

IRC 2015 requires makeup air for all "Exhaust hood systems capable of exhausting in excess of 400 cubic feet per minute" (M1503.4). The makeup air cannot be a window, because the makeup air supply requires one gravity or electrically operated damper (ie - not a window) to ensure automatic operation. I quote 2015 because I think that's where most USA states are.

Huh, CA building code doesn't follow IRC at all but does have a makeup provision that is pretty vague which technically requires it for small kitchens that is based on a specific pressure calculation. As a result, given my kitchen size makeup air is not necessary. Good news! None of the building inspectors in my region care anyway!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
It's difficult even with large form tile when you want your tiles to not warp but also be consistent (with a 1/16 spacing). Self leveling tile spacers are very useful.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
How significant were those structural changes?

170k is legitimately *a lot* even for the SFBA. And I do know most of the prices for tile/vanities/hardware.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Tezer posted:

Very few actual structural changes, but moving all the walls requires repainting three adjacent rooms and replacing some cabinetry that no longer 'fits' anymore with the changes.

It's always possible to spend more money. Find the most expensive piece of hardware in one catalog and there is another catalog that starts at that price point. Like, 'good' cabinet hardware starts at $10/piece or even less. The cabinet hardware in this project is around $45/piece. A normal toilet is around $600 maybe, the toilets in this project are $8,000 and there are toilet options up to $20,000 available without even going to a weird brand.

Somebody really wanted 2 Neorest toilets I guess. But even those you can get them at 40% off of MSRP.

I mean, when doing my remodel I noticed like three price ranges for cabinet hardware:

1) $3 = Home Depot
2) $6-9 = Top Knob
3) $10-20 = Luxury Brands
4) ??? = Super Custom ???

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The Diamond contractors in SFBA charge way more, and the contractor I hired to do mine was great even though they weren't a "Diamond Contractor"

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I would wager that most remodels are likely to be done without a permit (above 50%) in major cities like the bay area. Remember that there are degrees of permitting - in the case of replacing or adding one electrical outlet, most folks wouldn't request a permit from the city because it's bureaucracy. Frequently, work is done to a bathroom or kitchen without permit, and then people do not notice when the property sells (or give the excuse of AFAIK a permit is not needed).

However, in the case of a full addition, because it's so noticeable most people would actually get the permit. There are some really insane exceptions though to what things people will do.

BTW, my supplemental tax for "substantially equivalent construction" for a remodel of 3 bedrooms, full changing of layout of kitchen, structural changes, and two completely new bathrooms with wall teardown involved came back, and the county has determined that my cost for improvements (including labor + materials) is $31,000! :laugh:

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Queen Victorian posted:

Some Bay Area jurisdictions are a combination of two and three and then some - onerous permit fees, not being able to get approval in the first place, and also not wanting to risk triggering a reassessment come together to form a perfect storm of everyone avoiding permits like the plague. Why would you want to pay four to five figures in fees and get your taxes hiked?

It's not actually that bad in many circumstances when the building department is the one approving. The big issue is usually the planning dept, and places like Palo Alto, SF, and a couple of other places make this a PITA. Reassessment is also only done for the improvements that are considered equivalent to new construction, and most people who are filing permits under-report (and counties in the bay area tend to be lenient on the reassessment).

The problem is that there is a bureaucratic process, and many people are not good at dealing with government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

El Mero Mero posted:

I was told by my jurisdiction that for some structural work to expect the cost of the permit to come out to 10% of the cost of the project and take a few months to process.

California is also just extra hosed in the way people think about permits too because the uncertainty around reassessment triggers is a nightmare.

Like...if you had certainty that a project would not trigger a reassessment you might go forward with it, but they can't tell you until you're done.

You should check with an architect or structural engineer in that jurisdiction.

In the City of Mountain View, my project with structural changes (7 Glulam beams, underpinning, etc.), remodel creating two new bathrooms, removing walls, kitchen, and consisting of 3 bedrooms consisted of the following:

Valuation: $98500 (totally an under-report)

City:
$3550 Permit Fees ($1033 Plan Check, rest was Permit)

Permit contains: Building/Electrical/Mechanical/Plumbing.

$4500 Structural Engineering Fee
$11,000 Architect Fees
$500 Special Inspection by Structural Engineer.

Additionally, my total supplemental assessment is $31,000. Don't worry about the taxes that much.