Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Your gas and/or electric utility might have rebates for insulation or other energy efficiency work. I know mine does and when they recently redid insulation in my old apartment the landlord wouldn't stop talking about how it was basically free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Motronic posted:

I'm on septic and a very heavy garbage disposal user for food scraps, especially vegetables. I wouldn't think twice about firing leftover panko down there.

It's pumped every three years and completely and totally fine.

I read this as 3 times a year at first and my eyebrows hit the ceiling.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
My parents are yelling at me for not using my dishwasher enough. I usually don't use it very often because I don't use many dishes. I am being told I need to run it once a week to keep it from drying out and then leaking the next time I do use it.

Do I really need to run it once a week or is once a month ok?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Anyone have a combi heating system? I have one and want to go from a regular 50 gallon tank to a tankless set up. The guy I had here to look at the heating part of it gave me an outrageous estimate for getting that done. I am going to call around to some other places but I wondered if anyone here had done something similar.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

FISHMANPET posted:

So, I asked about this when I was having my water heater fixed, and the guy told me that because my city's water was so cold, especially in the winter, that I would need an absurdly sized boiler, and would need to upgrade the gas service, to actually heat that water on demand. What they did recommend was a side tank (I keep forgetting exactly what they call it) where hot water from the boiler is fed through pipes in the tank to heat the domestic water. You've still got a tank, but only one fuel burning appliances.

Lochinvar specifically was the brand they quoted me, the tank would be about $4500 (on top of the $20k to replace the boiler) but it's a stainless steel tank with a lifetime warranty, vs a water heater that will last 10 years. So a bit of an investment.

Yea that sounds like a similar system that he recommended to me. There would be one tankless water heater heating water for the radiator and separately heat water for the kitchen/bathroom. He said something like 8-9k for the tank and installation which seemed really high considering a regular tankless WH install would be about 5.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Had the power flicker a couple times on the weekend, enough to reset clocks. Clock on the Original to the home stove said "FFF." That made me laugh. Used the range daily just fine but when I went to use the oven nothing happened. Googled the F error code on an old GE oven range and it means the board is dead and will need to be replaced.

F indeed.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I'm not an expert on hvac at all but if two hvac companies came out and said the furnace is fine that makes me think something in the vent is getting melty when the heat is on.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Is it this https://youtu.be/Y_Up5jScFEo

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Is there a significant recovery or energy cost difference between a 42000 btu and 50000 btu gas water heater?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
How do I get PMI to go away? When I purchased my home I only put down 5%. According to Redfin* my home has appreciated 20% or so since I made that purchase. Do I just pay for an appraisal and send that in to the loan servicer? I should have asked when I got the financing but I wasn't expecting this to happen so soon.

*I know this number is not to be trusted fully.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

tater_salad posted:

Call your servicer.
but yes you'll have to fill out a form, hand them $500 for an appraisal and hopefully you get PMI gone.

Yea that makes sense. I also want to know what happens of it appraises in and I have like 19% equity. I will call them at some point and ask.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Sundae posted:

Guess what my mortgage servicer just did? :D Rocket Mortgage just informed me that they are not entertaining any PMI removals on the basis of escalating property values. There must be a major renovation associated, which would increase the value by a percentage relative to your initial cost/value to greater than 20% equity relative to the starting value. This was "due to unstable real estate market conditions" and was a repeated statement from two different sets of calls (I tried twice in case I got a weirdo the first time).

They literally went with "We don't believe current appraisals. Gut your kitchen if you want to remove PMI." :haw:

"I just spent 20k remodeling my kitchen to look exactly the same. Please send out an appraiser"

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I got a weird survey in the mail. It is to new homeowners and it says it is trying to get housing preferences in the community for builders. The weird part is they included a $1 bill with it. I want to fill it out to tell them to build denser housing but I am afraid if I do my junk mail will quintuple. Anyone ever get anything like this before?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Context: I live in a condo and have never had to use my homeowner’s insurance.

Water line for the building fire sprinkler system broke in the ceiling of my upstairs neighbor’s unit. Water from that came through the walls and their floor into my unit. Repairs are supposed to start tomorrow. The HOA manager and a board member have told me that the HOA will pay for replacing my floor, walls, ceiling etc but that for personal property and a hotel (which I will need while they are working on the place) I will need to use my own insurance.

Does that sound right? I didn’t do anything to cause this so why should I file a claim with my insurer, risk a rate increase and pay a deductible?

I guess what I want to know is how I should handle this for minimal financial impact for myself. Thanks for your help in these trying times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Mr cooper sent me a letter earlier this year letting me know that my information (ssn, address, phone number, etc) had been compromised. Very cool.