Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

I'm catching up on this thread and just want to say - A perfect password manager is a little black book. It literally cannot be hacked. My mother in law started doing it 20 years ago and accidentally stumbled onto best practices because it made it easy to have unique passwords per site.

My heirs can use my death certificate to get access to things, gently caress em I'll be dead. :v: (My spouse is directly on a majority of the bank accounts.)

A physical book is def the best password manager, assuming you use unique passwords and make them challenging. That said, the downside is obviously super inconvenient.

For digital, I can’t recommend 1Password enough. You make one very difficult password and then it makes everything else just randomized, and you just copy/paste from the app. Unlike Last Pass, they have yet to be hacked as well (yes you never know).

On this topic, reminder that for iPhone at least, you can designate who can control your phone and info if you pass away.

Having worked phones for 14+ years, I’ve seen a LOT of people struggle recovering info when someone passes and no one say, knows the lock code, knows the password, etc. it’s morbid, but having digital stuff in order for when you pass is honestly something I do recommend (I know you’re not saying otherwise, but just wanted to note).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PainterofCrap posted:

The only downside I have found to using one of those password/passkey-generating algorithms (including Chrome & Firefox) is when logging in to streaming services from one device to another, or when we travel with a Roku. It is an enormous pain in the balls to try & key in the proper string/PW, especially using the remote to navigate the character field

Legit, I use an Apple TV, and while the box is more expensive , It runs super quick, syncs with my stuff well, and I can use my phone as a remote or input, so for passwords I click the field, and just paste the password from 1Password on my phone, done.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Catatron Prime posted:

A week? Lock door, set thermostat to eco (min 52, max 90ish I think), and try to remember to turn off the non smarthome lights.

More than 3 weeks? I'd mess with the water shutoff valves at that point imho. I would very much like to install a smart water leak shutoff sensor, and it looks like there's some good mainstream options now instead of the early adopter stuff I looked at ten years ago. Been through all the ups and downs of smarthome stuff so I'm wary with what I bother wasting my time with now.

I’m considering getting this:

https://www.moen.com/flo

$500 for the water shutoff, prob $500ish for someone to install it (haven’t gotten a quote yet), seems worth it to avoid major water leaks.

I got a 3 pack of the sensors , and 1 works great, 1 won’t turn on (prob just needs a new battery), and one probably bas a faulty sensor because it keeps goes off immediately upon setup. So that has been a bit hit or miss on that part.

I’ll take any opinions on if getting a shutoff like this is a good idea or not.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Speaking of water sensors and frozen pipes - do they trigger if you drip the faucet to prevent pipe freezing in the winter?

Delayed response, but from what understand of the Moen one I posted, it’ll only shut off if a sensor detects water or you do it manually. So dripping would be fine assuming it doesn’t over flow the sink or leak or something.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Baddog posted:

I got this letter and I've never had escrow!

I was like "who the gently caress is mr cooper and why did they have my data???" But it's like the fifth company to confess to losing my info in the last couple years, including my goddamn health insurance company. So whatever I guess. Got so many of those "complimentary year of credit monitoring" stacked up now.

This is why I keep our credit frozen at all times unless we’re doing a major purpose. I wouldn’t trust them to be good at credit monitoring anyway.

I dealt with insane amounts of fraud daily at my work for 14+ years (not so much now), most fraudsters are pretty bad and obvious (hi I want to buy 4 iPhone Pro Maxes, all new phone numbers), but they get by on volume alone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thufir posted:

Homeowner’s thread: Ugh now I’m bleeding and covered in sewage

Please please.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Aptitude is a thing but you don’t need any to do basic home repairs. Any idiot can patch dry wall or replace a toilet or put in a new faucet.

I will have you know I am not just ANY idiot when it comes to home repairs, I am THE idiot.

All of this is good point though and a lot of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

I’m not great at all with tools or handy work, but I can do basics if I set my mind to it. I just don’t enjoy it at all.

Thankfully one of our best friends here does handy work for a living and has been helping us out. I try not to reach out often, I don’t want to take advantage of anyone, but def helps lead in the right direction if we aren’t sure.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ok, so goddamn it, we move in to our house, and already may have an issue.

Pretty straight forward: the air conditioning can’t seem to actually blow cold air. It’s like, somewhat cool, but it can’t get the temp below like, 77 or 78.

All appliances are new.

What should we look at and what’s the simplest way to try and fix this?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ok, update, we fixed it

There’s apparently a big on and off switch with a cover near the air conditioner outside.

It was set to off.

We switched it to on.

I believe we now have air conditioning.

Don’t worry, I am sure I will have stupider poo poo to post here.

For the record: we did get a full home inspection before buying.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lawnie posted:

Your home inspector should have turned the A/C on full blast and measured the temp of the air coming out of your vents after a few minutes to check for efficacy. Not saying your inspector did a bad job, but if anything else comes up that seems like it could have been caught, it might be worth getting someone out for a second look.

Actually that’s a good idea for a smart person to draft and post: list of checks any decent home inspection should include.

I’m pretty sure he did this, and lien, I think he might have even shown us the button , but I can’t tell at this point if I do remember that properly or if my brain is now making it up.

Either way, I will take it just being the button.

We had a radon test as a part of the inspection, it was like $100.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So we have a wooden deck, it’s very new but needs to be stained.

We’re starting to research this, but def figured I would stop by here and get recommendations on the best ways to go about it? Tools needed, paint brand, etc.

Going off of this link to start, obviously I don’t think it’s the best guide.

https://www.homedepot.com/c/ah/how-to-stain-a-deck/9ba683603be9fa5395fab90de38c905

Anyway, I’ll take any recommendations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SamsCola posted:

Make sure to let your wood weather for several months. Treated wood has a hydrophobic component that will prevent the stain from penetrating properly. You can test by sprinkling some water on the wood; if it's readily absorbed, it's ready for stain.

I always go for Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore over HD/Lowe's paint products. I've always heard that their quality is better for not much more money.

Plan on reapplying every few years, especially if your deck is exposed to a lot of sun.

When applying, you'll need to plan according to the weather. Not too hot, not too cold, and definitely not raining in the previous or next 24 hours. If the wood is wet, the stain won't work properly.

I've seen good results on cedar with a penetrating sealer instead of a stain, but aesthetically, I don't like the look of pressure treated pine, so I use a solid stain on that wood.

This was super helpful thank you !

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

God dammit.

This is my large downstairs window. About 6x5’

That’s a 2” gap allllllll the way along the bottom.in it I’m finding and coffee lid and old cigarette butts.

And dead ladybugs. Lots of dead ladybugs.

At least it isn’t your phone breaking ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
We just bought our house Dec 15.

Our mortgage was with United Wholesale Mortgage.

It is getting transferred to Mr Cooper.

Should I be concerned in any way?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is normal mortgage poo poo, but as someone who's mortgage is owned by Mr Cooper, gently caress Mr. Cooper. Good god they're worthless.

This isn't a new thing either. They used to be Nationstar and re-branded in part because everyone hated them.

Pay attention them and brace yourself to sit on the phone for a few hours if they gently caress something up. Their CS is god awful. My tip is when you get into their phone tree and can't find the option you want, go to "mortgages" and keep buttons until you get a salesperson, then tell them the phone tree brought you here and could you please give me the correct number for someone to help with my issue with an existing mortgage? Literally the only way I've found to resolve crap with them.

The thing they gently caress up with me annually involves a check box on their end they should be able to check off but can't because of some software problem. At least that's what the clearly ill trained lady who was working the system that day told me. She straight up said I'd probably have to call every year because she couldn't check the greyed out box that she needed to check off to prevent me from getting nasty grams about my insurance.

In summation: gently caress Mr. Cooper.

Oh great.

But basically nothing to do but go with the flow and wait and see. Fun poo poo.

Second question: so like, if I want to re finance down the road because rates go down or whatever, can I got through the same person who I got the OG mortgage setup with, or do I have to go through this new company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Muir posted:

Refinancing is just taking out a new mortgage and using it to pay off the old one. Unless you are in the quite rare situation of having early payment restrictions, your current mortgage holder doesn't need to be involved except to get repaid at the end of the process by your new mortgage.

Awesome. I thought so but wanted to check thank you.