Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, I gave up on maid services. None of the three I tried at various times(move out cleaning, move in cleaning, etc) have been worth a drat. And contractors in general, just not calling back, not showing up, not billing, etc I just don't understand how any of them stay in business.

And keep in mind, this is after already filtering these people through things like Angie's list, google reviews, etc. I hate to think about how much worse they could be.

Where do you live? I use franchise http://www.maidbrigade.com/ which has locations in every state of the USA. I love them. They do a great job, don't break or steal my poo poo, and don't mind that I have two cats that get in their poo poo while they clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Medullah posted:

If there's a better thread for this, please point me to it. Went from a 800 square foot house to a 1700 with an equally large basement, so I've got a ton of space with almost nothing on the walls and general lack of decoration. I'm a single guy and quite frankly I'm terrible at decorating. Are there any places where I can, say, upload some pictures and get advice from people smarter than me?

Also, I need to get a bed for the spare bedroom. Not likely to be used often, but I'd like to have one in there. Are there any fairly cheap but not completely terrible ones out there?

We're about to give Modsy a try for room decoration, I'll definitely share how it works.

I got a mattress from tuft and needle and really like it. Like 600 bones for a queen?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I found click together hardwood flooring for 6 bucks a square foot. The store says they'll remove my carpet and install the new flooring for a total project cost of $16 a SF. That seems insane for the materials to be less than half the total cost. This is a 1400 SF flat home with no stairs and doing only 4 bedrooms and a hallway

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Labor is routinely more expensive than materials. Whether it's appropriate in this particular situation, I don't know, but that kind of ratio is not at all unusual in general.

For like... Building a house, or a staircase maybe. But these are prefinished slats of wood to be nailed down in 5 large rectangular rooms.

I'm recarpeting an old house for $3/sf including materials, disposal, and labor, so the hardwood labor just seemed like a "go away we don't wanna do it" bid

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah you never feel more like an oversized beef lord behemoth than when you're stuffed over a little circle toilet with no ability to maneuver a hand to the butthole region

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
gently caress trees

We just hacked down a ton of enormous trees in our community that had been installed by the builder based on instant street appeal and no thought for long term growth. They got huge and hosed up our sidewalks, sewers, and irrigation

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I didn't lift a finger, the HOA did it all :smuggo:

... as part of my $270/month HOA fee :negative:

I'm so excited to be moving to a regular house soon

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
So if I'm planning on doing three things:

1. Wallpaper removal & subsequent drywall repair
2. Carpet removal & new flooring/trim installation
3. Painting the walls

Is there a definite must-do order to them? Maybe wallpaper->floors->paint so that the existing floors take the hit, and the new trim is in place before paint?

I'm new to home improvement so I want to make sure I don't have to re-do steps.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
House built 1981,

What is this thing on the wall screwed in to an outlet? It's sitting where the fridge should go and pushes the fridge like 3" into the room

The water line to the fridge looks like poo poo. Should I have a plumber come out and update this?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Rexxed posted:

The transformer looks a bit like what I unplugged that was powering an old alarm system from the 80s. They used phone cable to run all the stuff here (mostly window and door sensors) including the low voltage side of the transformer. It could be any small electrical thing, though.

The house does have an extremely 80s looking alarm panel in another room. Should I get a professional involved or just unscrew it and unplug it? I'm worried the alarm system will start freaking out.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

StormDrain posted:

GGGC if you are calling a plumber spend the extra dough and have an icemaker box put in the wall with a hammer arrestor. You'll get the fridge closer to the wall without any banging when the valve shuts.

This seems like a good plan. They'll probably have to open the wall up, right?

The area for the fridge is 37.5 wide, 70.5 high, and the counter is 25 inches deep from the wall. Very shallow. I'll need a counter depth fridge that's what, at least 27 inches deep excluding doors, so they can open?

Will a 36 x 69 (nice) fridge fit in the 37.5 by 70.5 space or is it important to have more room than that?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The water line to the fridge looks like poo poo.

StormDrain posted:

GGGC if you are calling a plumber spend the extra dough and have an icemaker box put in the wall with a hammer arrestor. You'll get the fridge closer to the wall without any banging when the valve shuts.

Ta da!

Also ongoing,

I agreed to pay a painter a specific hourly rate for 3 people. They sent two, arrived an hour late, left an hour early, and took an hour lunch. They're extremely fired

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

QuarkJets posted:

Ugh, wallpaper. Good luck to you

Seriously. It's a bitch. They didn't prime the wall and just glued the wallpaper (two layers) directly to the drywall.

My painter says he can scrap the removal and just oil prime over it and texture to make it invisible. Anyone had experience with that? If it works, that would prevent me from having to repair all the drywall!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's two layers directly applied to the drywall, so just removing the wallpaper from 3 bedrooms is expected to cost about $7,000, and then I need to do a mix of new drywall and drywall repair.

Wallpaper removal in three bedrooms and a freshly painted entire interior of a 2,900 SF house is going to cost me about $20,000, yowch

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

StormDrain posted:

I can't breathe.

Then you must be standing too close to my mold infested and water damaged crawlspace, my dude. Be careful!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh man. I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with my new painter, and I'm completely in love.

His team of 5 guys had all the wallpaper in the house removed in under 4 hours. They said the painters that tried last week did it as wrong as you could possibly do it, and it wouldn't been easier for his team to do it if the last painters had never even tried.

They're going to have 6 painters in my house every day from 7 to 4 for the next five business days, and they're going to...

Paint every wall of my house (2,900 SF!!!)

Paint every bit of trim

Paint all the doors and upgrade all the door hardware

And he even said "Hey so we saw they cut up your drywall by the refrigerator so we're gonna fix that while we're there"

This is the best experience I've ever had. Dude is beyond passionate about painting (he literally sent me photos of some of his celebrity paintings to show off how much he "loves paint and stresses the details") and just makes me feel like he cares about this job & my house

I'm having a good day

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Dango Bango posted:

You mind sharing the cost difference from your first absurd quote? (If that's okay to ask)

$8,000 for all of that! Compared to ~$7,000 just for wallpaper removal from a different painter. I'm over the moon right now

The entire project is going to be under $2.80/SF which is absurd

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The brand of CO detectors in my house have a 7 year timer that kicks in after initial turn on. Once you hit 7 years, they constantly indicate CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTED but it means "it's been 7 years, replace me"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

gently caress sump pumps gently caress sump pumps gently caress sump pumps.

Uh oh, what up? My house depends on a sump pump to survive so my heart is with you on whatever you're dealing with

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Jesus, my window coverings are standard blinds with an incredibly fine, silk-strand-thin cord to raise or lower them.

In the past 24 hours my cat snacked on every single one and severed the cord for all 15 of my windows.

Time to get some plantation shutters and also hope my cat can poo poo the cords back out

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

H110Hawk posted:

Blinds.com is a shockingly good deal around these parts. It's like $150 for a random axe murderer to come out and measure everything, then someone I presume named "Stephanie" calls you and you order all your blinds in one fell swoop, then said axe murderer comes back and installs all of them. We have Bali cordless cell shades and they are awesome.

Apparently blinds.com and Home Depot both route you directly to "Avalon Blinds" who is coming to my house next week to check it out.

I've also got some bougie Hunter Douglas people coming out too, so I'm curious to see how much the pricing and quality each differ.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

H110Hawk posted:

It's all one company basically. We're really happy with ours 3 years later. Our 3 year old beats up his on the regular and it still works. The "Bali" ones are the upgrade from the "blinds.com brand". We just ordered 6 more for the rest of the windows we should have done 3 years ago. Whole project is coming out under a grand installed.

This is incredibly encouraging. I've got 14 windows and 1 sliding patio door to get done and I've been told to expect everything from $3,000 to $30,000

EDIT: holy lol Avalon is going to be perfect for me. This is my dumbass bathroom

and this is one of the top images in their gallery

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 21, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My ceiling has those lovely old "ceiling titty" light fixtures throughout the entire house. Changing the bulbs is a HUGE pain in the rear end requiring tools, ladder, and a second set of hands.

I need to replace them immediately. ~14 fixtures in a mix of hallways, bedrooms, bathrooms and a closet.

Should I look for new ceiling titty fixtures that are easier to swap bulbs, or go for like... recessed lighting? I don't want to break the bank here, but I want to have SOME built-in lighting in each room.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Leperflesh posted:

You might ask this in the interior design thread if you're looking for style choices? If you just want options, the lighting section at any home improvement store or lighting store will have a number of options.

Recessed lighting requires cutting holes, at a minimum. It's easier to do if you have an unfinished attic space above, but if you have a floor above the fixture that can complicate matters. One or two is totally DIYable, 14 I'd want to hire an electrician.

Thanks a ton! I had no idea this thread existed. I have so many house projects swirling around my brain so this thread is going to be a good read.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

StormDrain posted:

Unless every bulb is burned out, no you do not need to replace them immediately.

Slow down and take a measured approach to what the design of your house looks like before buying anything. Then just do it as you can afford and need.

6 of 14 have dead bulbs and/or broken-in-place bulbs, 3 are missing the dome covers because the painters broke them, and all 14 are loose enough that you can twist the entire mounting plate off the wall with two fingers

You have a good point, but it does feel reasonable to just take care of it all in one fell swoop rather than have an electrician made 8 visits over the next 6 months as the bulbs burn out.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't gently caress with electricity other than plugging stuff into sockets.

If removing a 38 year old fixture and installing a new one is truly idiot proof, I'll put my idiot mettle to the test, but I was under the impression my options were much more limited on the DIY side (as in, I must use a New Ceiling Boob)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I've got a natural spring at the edge of my lawn. Even in dry weather there is a little area where 3-6" of standing water collects in a 5 foot diameter.

It's making the lawn insanely muddy and I bet it gets absolutely huge in rainy months (I just moved in a week ago).

The property slopes off hard into some wetlands about 8 feet away from the spring... Maybe I can just cut a channel and have it drain by gravity? Or plant a weeping willow and just absorb it all?!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's the only water with real Chris Bits™ in every gulp!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I've got a natural spring at the edge of my lawn. Even in dry weather there is a little area where 3-6" of standing water collects in a 5 foot diameter.

It's making the lawn insanely muddy and I bet it gets absolutely huge in rainy months (I just moved in a week ago).

The property slopes off hard into some wetlands about 8 feet away from the spring... Maybe I can just cut a channel and have it drain by gravity? Or plant a weeping willow and just absorb it all?!

All this water is from running my sprinkler system. We've got heavy rain coming this Thursday/Friday so it's going to be interesting to see what gets hosed up and how badly.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sirotan posted:

Anybody have a good recommendation for some interior door handles that come in both lockable (with a knob/button) and dummy varieties? They need to be satin nickle. My mom wants to replace all the hideous brass door knobs and hinges inside her house with satin nickle and I'm trying to get her to convince her to use handles and not knobs when she does this.

I just redid my house with these. I like 'em just fine. The Dummy versions are $10 per single lever

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Why the gently caress would you hang wallpaper in tyool 2019, OP

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

StormDrain posted:

I don't give a fart what you think of my design choices.

Post pics of the wallpaper pattern!! I'd love to see what modern vogue is after just finishing up 4 rooms of pink floral poo poo

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I like that!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My downspouts feed in to PVC pipes which disappear into the ground

Every 10 minutes my crawlspace sump turns on and forces water up and out of those PVC pipes like a geyser, so now I've got standing water up against my foundation.

The crawlspace guy basically hit me with a "not my problem, call roto rooter" and says my yard drainage lines are probably clogged or busted

Water.... Is bad

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Potrzebie posted:

Don't you do proper inspections before closure in the US? Here the sellers basically always pay for inspections and often the buyer does it as well before settling the final payment.

In other news, my electricity bills are $neg since May. Solar panels are magic.

Yep, the inspection passed with flying colors other than a crawlspace water intrusion issue, which was fixed on the seller's dime.

It ended up being a simple fix. Roto-rooter snaked the yard irrigation system and blasted a TON of old plant matter out, and now my drainage works like a charm!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bird in a Blender posted:

I had a similar thing happen. I'm surprised you have roots getting into your pipes if they're PVC though, or does it switch to something else?

I believe it wasn't roots growing in to the pvc, but rather old decaying plant matter getting swept in and forming a big mucky mess

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
18cu ft refrigerator that fits well or 22cu ft fridge that's just a hair too wide for optimal asthetics??

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Leperflesh posted:

You don't suppose your underground pipe/irrigation stuff could be related to your "natural spring" at the edge of your well-watered lawn, do you? I'm thinking broken sprinkler line at that spot?

OH this was the best part! When the roto rooter guy cleaned out my drainage pipe (giggidy!) we literally watched the wet spot vanish into the earth. It's just mud now, instead of 6" of standing water. Woo!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

How many people does the fridge need to support?

Just me currently but it'd ideally be serving 2 to 3 people within a couple years. Is there a good way to upload an image on Android to imgur and post on the forums? I've never quite figured that one out on mobile. I'll post a Pic of my fridge slot. It's annoying in that it's right next to the door to the kitchen so it makes it feel like a 3 foot tunnel rather than a doorway.

http://imgur.com/E5G7fXj.Jpg

How in the blazes do you bbcode an img on mobile!! It's forcing url code every time I edit, grr

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 2, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

The cabinet is a 33" wide cut, but the counter tops were cut a full 1" into the fridge recess, so if you put a property-fitted fridge in there it looks bad because it's ever-so-slightly off center.

I opted for a 36" fridge since the space between the counter top and the door frame is 37.5"

It's going to be a tight fit and look like garbage, but at least I'll have decent fridge capacity. Sub-20.0cu ft fridges were nightmarishly small

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah my house was built in 1981 and owned by the same family from 1985 to 2019. Every single improvement or update they made to the house was with a primary goal of "Cheap". I'm expecting my first year in this house to mostly be fixing their handiwork. The ceiling is low because they saved $$$ on their recessed lighting project by adding a drop ceiling :laugh: The counter tops were probably just because they hosed up at measuring

It was no surprise at all when I found a wad of letters stuffed in an AC vent with this cover letter:

Fuckers had NO money

If anyone can read Korean, there were a dozen similar letters that look like even more balances from friends