Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

skipdogg posted:

drat they’re 8K now before discounts?

I’m a pet haver and I would pick the MCL leather as it’s the thickest full grain leather they have. I bought a couch a few years ago and wanted something my cats couldn’t destroy and went with a full thickness full grain leather. They’ve managed to scratch it in a few places but the leather has held up really well.

That or pick a fabric and just deal with the potential damage and budget for reupholstering.

The MCL is sadly discontinued, although I don't like how the MCL (intentionally) forms creases over time.

The 'Prone' leather is their successor, and has the thickness that you mentioned. I'm just trying to decide between the classic black leather, or a slightly off-white (I don't want to think about how the pure white would age) or something out of left field like a blue or green...

Fabric Eames seems like heresy but would also be incredibly comfortable...

Something like this

or like this

Green is the new black!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Keyser_Soze posted:

this is all the chair needed, you overpriced chair hipsters. :colbert:

those colors are on the way back (again) too!

(I've never seen an episode of Frasier so this might be the The Joke, but... is that also an Eames in the picture???)

For all I know the premise of the episode is Frasier's friends think he's an overpriced chair hipster and they replace his Eames with a swanky recliner

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

brugroffil posted:

Jesus Christ

Also there's an interior design thread floating around that might get more answers than the general house thread

That thread is unfortunately a nightmare. It's one user's playground to post a 'word of the day' followed by several dozen images from zillow listings

EDIT apparently that was the interior design chat thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955939&pagenumber=86#lastpost. The Q&A thread looks far more navigable

I figure this thread and subforum is the perfect locus of 'people who know how to match wood tones/fabrics' and 'being able to talk high end furniture without guillotine emojis'

marjorie posted:

I don't know that that's exactly The Joke, but it is a theme of the show and thus related to the general joke premise. Frasier (middle left) likes swanky things and his dad (far left) likes regular things. Frasier's dad had to move into Frasier's fancy condo and brought his ugly-but-comfortable recliner, much to Frasier's distaste (I think the picture is from an episode where Frasier gets rid of it, but then brings it back to make his dad happy; the still looks to be the reveal that it's returned...or else it's when the chair first arrived).

Anyway, here's the interior design thread.

I appreciate this! Out of curiosity, how did the Eames factor in to the episode? If at all. One of the things I love about it is how it disappears into a room, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Eames is just the chair-in-the-background rather than a part of the chair plot

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 16, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

The algorithm... it's listening...

My phone just sent me a push notification for this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/home/2022/02/01/eames-chair-popularity-millennial-men/

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't mean to put you on the defensive. I just think the one thread is dead and the other one is bad & also dead, but that's just how it goes with the low population subforums.

Palisander & blue is my favorite if I don't go with Walnut & black, but I need to to manhandle the leather samples more. Some of the leathers are more like a basketball or a football vs the traditional smooth MCL and I'm not sure I'd like that.

The HM living room sale is over but apparently the authorized dealers are the better way to go, regardless. They can beat the sale prices year-round in exchange for a slightly longer wait, which seems well worth it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bwee posted:

Any thoughts on the best way to deal with pooling water? We had a ton of rain last week and our backyard looked like this. It's dry now but clearly this is an issue. The grass in the backyard is ehh and there are several dead spots, but I'd like to deal with the pooling first before I deal with reseeding or resoding.

Regarding the 'add an inch of sand' option - Is your soil clay? There are three schools of thought on adding sand to clay

- It will make the problem worse, because sand + clay = adobe bricks
- It will not do anything, because you would need a 1:1 ratio and you're not going to till a foot of sand into your topsoil
- It will solve the problem

I don't have an opinion of my own, but it is fiercely debated!

Although heads up that sometimes it simply can't be solved. I live at the bottom of a hill, on top of a spring, and so my 'lawn' has standing water on it from October to June each year. Keep meaning to find a clay-loving bog-dweller to at least have a happy plant back there...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What if instead of 'flushing your water heater' you simply 'take 25 minute hot showers every day'?? Empty is empty, yeah?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Best practice when a neighbor is building a fence is don't say poo poo about the fence ever for the rest of your life

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

blue squares posted:

So you pay for asurvey and find out your neighbor “stole” six inches of yard. What are you going to do about it? (Correct answer is nothing because that would be insane)

Sounds more like the neighbor bought me a fence and installed it for me! Sick!!!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/please-dont-mount-your-tv-over-the-fireplace/

CNET eating that low hanging fruit

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
And they will gently caress your wife

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

StormDrain posted:

I'm not sure where this question is leading but I don't think it's relevant to my question.

The county assessor is going to ask you that question as soon as you start the dispute process, so it's important to start making a case!

Find some sale comps, review the Marshall and swift cost schedules, etc

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
One of my tenants is a moving company and the guy straight up told me, "do not move any time soon if you can help it" because the only people he can find to hire are so poo poo that he expects them to either quit or be fired after a single job.

He's looking in to hiring people straight out of prison at the moment

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
And don't forget the magic of "hey neighbor I think your outdoor light is pointed the wrong way!" VS "I demand you turn off your lights as they are pointed at my property!!!!"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
And fill in the cracks with gold too, unless you are a stupid baka

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My wood staircase is a little slippery for my dog. Any recommendations other than the top result on Amazon for "stair tread"? I don't want to do a carpet runner because it'll get trashed.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

MarcusSA posted:

This is why when we did the floors we specifically left the stairs carpet.

Well that and stairs are fuckin expensive as hell to do.

Honestly though this is probably your best bet.

https://www.runrug.com/us/stair-carpet-runners-c38

Not sure you have many other options.

That's a cheap carpet runner for sure but I'd rather go with individual treads I can plop down and replace when they're messed up. There are frustratingly TOO many options! But I guess there's no sense thinking too hard about an object that's designed to get trampled.

Looks like Orvis makes some that are basically just doormats cut to stair tread size? That won't look very nice but it'll probably clean the hell out of some muddy paws!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Enos Cabell posted:

That style is also nearly impossible to keep clean of pet fur, if that is something you have to worry about. It actively resists being vacuumed up. We got the HOMEER brand carpeted tread recently, and they have been pretty great so far. No sliding around and much easier to keep clean.

Boom, we have a winner!! Thanks to you guys from last page on this

Water/sewer are such bullshit. Areas that have less rainfall will have lower bills because the federal subsidies cover the sewer maintenance costs

The PNW gets water for free from the sky all day every day, but we have some of the most expensive water bills in the country because the sewer systems are entirely customer-funded

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's a simple incantation, too.

mortuus senex
puer resurget
veni son

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just how rude were you to the receptionist? The real price should be ~$200 to $450

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Synthetic turf was one of those ideas that depended on technology advancing during the life of the product. It was a way to pawn old toxic rubber tires onto consumers and promise that there would be a way to recycle it by the time the fields reached end of life.

The synthetic turf Council doesn't even try to argue that the crumb rubber exposes children to heavy metals including lead. They just argue that the exposure doesn't actually cause any harm.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The fake blades of grass have gotten really realistic and soft!

It's the other layers of the tiramisu that are no good.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Beef Of Ages posted:

I think I could get a deck that size completely replaced for $2600.

I don't know about refinishing estimates, but I would expect a brand new deck a foot off the ground in a generally rectangular shape to be between 50 and $100 per square foot

Done well/done right that is. Anything under $10k for a 200+ SF deck is going to be 2x4s on a couple bits of concrete that won't last 5 years

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My gutters fill up about 8 times a year and I got fed up with writing a $280 check every time

This thing is fun as hell. It's like a crane game at the arcade but the prize is my foundation stays intact

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Tremors posted:

What is this fine contraption and where does one obtain it?

An extendable pole (so many more uses than I would've thought at first, now that I have it on hand)

And a gutter scoop tool, just-add-pole!

I got them both on Amazon. The pole was 'Docapole' brand, and the gutter tool was some generic seller. There are tons and tons of them that show up under 'ground gutter cleaner'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jenkl posted:

How high up are you going? I considered one of these, but decided it would be too cumbersome at 20-24'.

QuarkJets posted:

I've been thinking about better ways to clean my gutters too, this seems like a good solution. In the summer I walked around on my roof with a leafblower and cleaned the gutters that way, everything was dry so it worked really great. I was thinking of erecting some rigid tubes that I can hook up to the end of my leafblower so that I can take the ladder out of the equation, but two gutters are probably 20 feet up and I'm not sure if that'd be worth it

I'll probably forget the whole thing and try out your suggestion, sounds a lot cheaper and better at dealing with wet leaves

I really recommend it! It cleans about a 12" span of the gutter with each pull. I used it on a 2-story house with gutters located about 10, 16, and 24 feet off the ground with no issue at all.