Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I love my Weber Genesis I got last year.

My parents won a Weber Summit 12 or so years ago and theirs is still going strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

LogisticEarth posted:

The real compromise is to get a gas grill and a charcoal smoker.

dual-zone smoking on my weber genesis owns

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/2-zone_indirect_cooking.html

I've got a little box for wood chips that goes under the grates, and it's really easy to set up my grill to hold a temperature steady for hours with zero interference from me.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Leperflesh posted:

The thing to take away from all this is that you should never pay extra for property on the basis of its view. Views are nice, but you don't own them and don't have to be compensated when they're taken away.

This is why we bought adjacent to a several hundred acre forest preserve that was created about 10 years ago. If it had still been farmland, odds are it'd be giant warehouses or another plot of tract housing within the next 5 years.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

the neighbor across the street at our house owns a giant tractor with a snowblower attachment and does the block (6-8 houses depending on how far down he goes) every time it snows. it's great because my driveway is like 50' long.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

LogisticEarth posted:

Couple options: rent a power auger, or hire someone who knows what they're doing. Either way a split rail fence is probably going to be your cheapest, easiest to maintain option that doesn't look like poo poo and doesn't involve delivery of large rocks.

Hiring someone is the way to go. We had a fence installed last year, and I was blown away by how quickly a crew of four guys got the entire job done. About four hours total start to finish for about 200' of fencing and all with manual tools. That would have taken me a months worth of weekends to do myself.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Rocks posted:

View out of the fixer upper house I just bought :3:

(honolulu)

Well that explains the price tag. Awesome view.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What is the point of an elaborate home CCTV system?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I was using CCTV to mean security camera systems in general even if they are networked.

I want a thermal camera for my backyard to watch animals, but I don't really get why I'd want to otherwise have a bunch of cameras on my home.

E: I get it from a cool tech toy aspect I suppose

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 11, 2017

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Droo posted:

I found my hot tub to be far more annoying than my pool. Maybe because my pool has a small leak somewhere which prevents all the bad things from building up in the water, so I never have to really drain any water, just pay a bit more in chemicals every year to keep the levels right. Draining and refilling the hot tub twice a year was annoying.

Both things came with the house, and I got rid of the hot tub about 4 months ago and I am surprised by how much less annoying stuff there is to deal with now. Plus, the pool is actually nice to look at. I also think it's hard to find a professional company to take care of a hot tub because people are gross and the hot tub water gets way nastier than pool water.

I agree with your $400 estimate, and if your hot tub is in decent condition you could sell it privately or to a hot tub dealer - you won't really get much money out of it but at least it will be gone.

Even if your hot tub is completely broken in many ways, as long as you want to give it away to get it out of there you'll get 24 offers in 24 hours and it'll be gone in 36 hours from first posting it!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I bought myself a Weber Genesis last year after my old grill rusted apart and have loved it so far. Use it 2-3 times a week even through the dead of winter. My parents won whatever the biggest Weber Summit series grill was back in ~2005 and that one still looks like new with regular use. My inlaws have a Spirit that's seen regular usage for 4 or 5 years now and it's holding up well, too.

I also regularly use my Genesis for smoking.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

Please tell me how well this works if you leave it outside. Is your uncovered and still fine? Because that's what I want, but maybe not really possible. FYI, it snows here and I have and will continue to shovel snow off of my grill to make steak. My generic charcoal thing is rusting out after 6 or 7 years. I'll just get another and be fine with that if what I'm asking for isn't a reasonable thing.

We're in the Chicago area, so the grills I mentioned see plenty of weather abuse. My parents and my in laws both keep their grills covered whenever they're not in use. I have a cover I sometimes use, but we have a big covered deck right off our kitchen that my grill sits on that shells like shields it from everything but sideways rain.

Like I said I've only had mine for a year, but after seeing how well my parent's has held up for over a decade now, I felt it was worth the extra money for something I use almost as frequently as our range.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

We just have an over-the-range microwave; it's not a range hood by any stretch, but it does absorb and remove odors really effectively. These things are just a recirculating fan with a filter but they seem to do the trick whenever we want to remove smells. We cook almost everything from scratch and don't encounter any of the problems being described in this thread.

We don't do a lot of pan frying; that may be a difference. Wok and dutch oven cooking hardly produces any vapor at all, and sauces obviously aren't an issue either. I guess if you're regularly using a deep fryer that would probably produce a lot more vapor than the occasional light frying that we do.

It sounds to me like you're overcooking your bacon; common wisom is that bacon comes out best when cooked slowly under low heat. You should get some smoke but you seem to be describing a significant amount more than what's normal.

Are you letting your bacon warm up a bit or are you slapping it into a pan cold? That can also make a big difference

Yeah I'm cooking from scratch nearly every night of the week and I very rarely have any sort of smoke or grease problems. I do cook in the slow and low side, though.

I also don't sear steaks because it isn't necessary.
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_searing_seals_in_juices.html

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Does code these days require an external vent for the hood above the range? Neither of the homes I've owned have had one and nor do my parents or in-laws' homes built in the mid-90's.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The Genesis is definitely a more "heavy duty" grill than the Spirit. You can especially feel it in the weight of the lid.

The version I have is the "EP" series, which means I have the enamel exterior parts but upgraded stainless steel interior cooking surfaces. It's super easy to get my grates clean after or before every cook. I don't know if the latest version of the Genesis that just came out this year has this option or not, but something to consider.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

oh that's the house with the awesome view on Oahu right?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

That's what I do. Just make sure you watch the dehumidifier when you first hook it up because my hose wasn't pushed into the unit all the way and it soaked the carpet in its little area at first.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Stained and stamped concrete can be pretty expensive. We did a 20x20 or so paver patio at our old house using these from Menards (we're also in northern IL):
https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...44441476275.htm

They come in a few different sizes an you can make a bunch of different patterns with them. The prep work for it--digging the hole, spreading out the gravel and sand--was the worst job I've ever done myself and I'd recommend hiring that out to someone with a bobcat rather than doing it yourself if you go with either concrete or paver blocks. We were only in the house for a year after we built the patio so I'm not sure how well those particular pavers hold up.

e: my parents are also in northern IL and have a big poured pad. There's a crack in part of it but it's otherwise held up well over the 10 years they've had it now. It's probably 30 x 15 and has two tiers.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Isn't composite decking $$$ though?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My philosophy is to just cut the grass, throw down grass seed if there's some bare spots somewhere, and otherwise not really care on a ~1 acre lot. I don't get people who obsess with fertilizing and throwing down weed killer to get a uniform and ultimately pretty sterile monoculture yard. It's a big waste of time and resources. I like clover in my yard because bees are cool and good.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

LogisticEarth posted:

Bingo. Most grass keeps the majority of it's strength/energy in the first 3" or so, so if you only mow after your grass gets around 3", you'll help keep the grass healthy, strong, and weed resistant. Clover is kickass too. Only worry about fertilizing if you actually see a problem, or have taken a soil test. Pro-tip: Most state land-grant universities have soil testing kits for cheap that will give you N-P-K numbers. In PA Penn State Extension charges $9

Completely unrelated question: What's the deal with interior paints? I'm trying to figure out the real difference between something like Sherwin-Williams, which is like $60-70/gallon, or Behr or one of the other big-box brands, at ~$30-40/gallon for the "premium" stuff. I've painted many times before, but always for apartments or friends and such. So I'm OK with the methods, but my paint selection experience beyond "whatever is moderately cheap and looks ok" is lacking.

I have an approximately 12x15' room with wood paneling that I'm turning into the nursery. I already primed over the paneling with Killz for...some reason. I know it helps to prime dark wood paneling. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to buy a good, durable paint that can withstand kid abuse and time.

I love using Sherwin Williams top of the line paint because it goes on easy and covers well in a single coat and they're pretty much always running some sort of sale usually 30% off

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Also learn to cut around corners trim etc by hand rather than relying on painter's tape. Will save a ton of time and money and it's not too hard once you've got the hang of it.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Advertise it as "clean fill" and you'll probably be able to get someone to haul it away for free.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Elysium posted:

Is there a goon recommendation for a cordless drill for various DIY house projects? The rest of the internets suggests Dewalt or Milwaulkee, although this list suggests Bosch. Most of that list also is the smaller 12v drills, and not the 18v ones. I get that they are lighter and cheaper, but should I get an 18v one just in case I do something that needs more power? Is it worth it to also get a dedicated driver?

I've got a bunch of Makita 18V tools that I love, and the driver probably sees the most use by a factor of two or three.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The charger can play different songs when you plug the battery in and when it's done charging!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Manwich posted:

I have a question about the pros and cons of a water softener system.

All I see reading is that it saves on lime buildup on pipes. All the information comes from water softener companies, which means I need to take everything with a grain of salt.

We have a new construction home, and as far as I know all of our pipes are not metal and there is no lead so I have no concerns about heavy metals leaching into my water. I live in Southern California with harder water. Is a water softener worth the upfront costs of a water softener, and maintenance costs?

Overly hard water will also leave calcium deposits on dishes, fixtures, shower doors, etc. and won't have the same "feel" as softened water.

Have a few companies come out and do free water tests/sales pitches to find out what your water chemistry is.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I too live in the great lakes region. Municipal water where I'm at is extremely hard. If you're not actually getting water from the lakes, you're probably drawing from a limestone aquifer, which means lots of dissolved calcium.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

General question here.....what exactly is the aversion people have to proper gas powered small tools?

I mean, I get that if you leave crap ethanol gas in them they don't want to start. But this has been an entirely solved problem for quite some time now (google: trufuel and you'll find that as well as many other brands).

Small engines pollute like crazy since there's basically no emissions regulations on them. they're also noisy and it's super annoying if you run out of gas mid job. Plus the extra maintenance above and beyond zero for electric.

I run all gas because of the size of my yard, but I get why people would rather use electric if it's feasible.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Something like FESTOOL is high end. A DeWalt or a Makita etc. that's seeing homeowner level usage should last a long time.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

You might want to check out buying a softener from somewhere like here and getting a plumber to install it:

http://www.cleanwaterstore.com/

I did some research last spring, and the general consensus I found was that while a system like Kinetico may be great, it's going to be $$$ and it's all proprietary parts. Something with a Fleck or Autotrol valve on the top can be repaired or replaced by anyone versus having to call out a specific local vendor rep who has exclusive rights to your territory.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

Paver stones question: my entire backyard is made up of them (less mowing hell yea) and they're full of weeds in every corner. Just picked up a power washer for $80 from Aldi, what kind of sand do I want to sweep into the gaps once I blast all the detritus free?

Also my lawn is all thatched and I think I'm going to have to hire someone to aerate it :(

Polymeric paver sand. Follow the directions and it'll "lock" in place

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

No Butt Stuff posted:

Fiberglass sucks to install and if you ever replace a can light or whatever it will fall on you and get in your eyes and on your skin and it is, in general, satan's insulation.

Blown in cellulose is much better. I'm thinking I may rent the machine and blow more into my attic before summer really hits here.

wear proper PPE

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

For some reason, ants decided to take up residence inn my mail box. There were thousands of them with a bunch of eggs last night. I sprayed the hell out of the box and cleaned it out, but I'm really confused why they'd go there in the first place. Anything u can do? This is a mailbox on a post, not house mounted

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I hate myself for phone posting "u" instead of I, but I will take your suggestion to heart.

Was trying to figure out how to rig up a blow torch for some brush/weed clearing anyway

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

hmm guess I should have done something about that 12" hole that opened up in the winter cover a couple of months back

tried running the vacuum, and it clogged the vacuum line and the filter in about 10 seconds with a solid chunk of pine needles. I've already scooped out 2 five gallon buckets of leaves, algae and pine needles.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Nail Rat posted:

About a year ago my cat began the puzzling ritual of making GBS threads directly in front of his litter box in the same spot. If I see him getting ready and tell him to go in the box, he complains loudly and then does it. He always pisses in the box.

I keep the box clean, and he's been to the vet about it and he's fine. If he stays with someone else when I'm out of town he only shits in the box, even though they don't really clean it.

Animals are weird.

same thing happens with our cat. doesn't seem to matter how clean we keep the box, and she's been checked by the vet multiple times. she just decided "I poo poo here now" instead.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Home Depot cuts cellular shades to the exact size you specify

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

That is what blinds.com maps through to, along with a bunch of other sites which you will see once you get further into the process. Talking to them on the phone helps with the process.

To me it was 100% worth it to have the guarantees in place by paying someone else rather than dealing with offsets, mounting hardware, etc.

That's true. My MIL paid for that (through JC Penny I think?) and oops the consultant measured every single window and door wrong, sorry that'll be another 2-3 weeks until we have your window treatments ready. Enjoy having no coverings on your windows for that time since you've already taken everything down.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Droo posted:

You are forgetting that the Millennial generation is so lazy it spawned a service to move your garbage cans from the side of your house to the street on garbage day.

http://www.trashday.co/

e: I thought millenials didn't own homes anyway thanks to avocado toast? I'm gonna go ahead and blame boomers, the laziest and FYGM-ist generation in history.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Weber offers their grills in propane or NG configurations. Probably not going to find NG in stock anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Cannon_Fodder posted:

That's my opinion before even sticking my dick in this particular beehive.

Guys, is there a consensus of whether it's worth getting a paint sprayer? I just closed and I am not in love with a bright yellow living room or half the other goddamn rooms.

Would a few paint rollers be more reasonable? I want to do this pretty quickly and not hate myself.

Additionally, was there ever a conclusion to paint-chat earlier? I'm hoping for recommendations and I'm overwhelmed by the amount of poo poo that suddenly found itself on my plate. Plus, the ladyfriend wants a puppy. :hb:

sprayers are great for say repainting doors in the garage, mass amounts of new trim in the garage, repainting a cabinet or vanity, etc.

I'd never try to use one indoors. I'd imagine they're just way too messy. Get good at cutting in corners and edges without painter's tape, which is the biggest PITA part of the job. Rolling out the walls is the easy part.

And spend the money for good paint. Cheap stuff will look like garbage and require more coats than good stuff, so you end up spending just as much money and twice as much time.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 23, 2017