Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Five gallon bucket with a roller screen over paint tray imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

You can get a Hikvision PTZ IP68 POE powered tamper resistant camera for under a hundred. Make sure you get the domestic version. If the box comes in and it's all in Chinese send it back and report it to Amazon.

FWIW Hikvision has some hard-coded vulnerabilities in their cameras that are so bad that Genetec kicked them off their platform entirely for a while and now only allows them back on with giant warning signs.

A lot of IP security cameras and other devices have default backdoors and whatnot that cannot be changed or are "randomized" but still vulnerable to exploits. Your home security camera probably isn't going to be the target of a knowledgeable hacker, but you never not what somebody's who's just snooping around will come across and decide to gently caress with.

For the love of god, at least make sure you change the default passwords off of "admin/admin" or whatever it is, and ideally don't use the default ports and enable SSL or other secure communication and authentication between your endpoints and your DVR/NVR/VMS!

fake eta: note the above concerns don't apply as much if you're not putting your camera on your home network with internet access as I now see that's what PitViper wants to do.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The real trick is to marry into a family of union painters who'll do the hard stuff for free and in about 1/4 of the time!

My wife and I still repainted most of our house ourselves. It's not the most fun job, but as long as you get good at cutting edges so you don't have to mess around with bullshit painter's tape, it's pretty easy. I can't imagine ever paying someone to do it.

If you have 20' ceilings or big two-story vaulted areas that's a different story though.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Can confirm that the Honda push mowers are great

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm pretty sure something died in the walls in one of my bedrooms. Smells like rotting death and I've checked everywhere within the room.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Insurance policy should cover that, no? Sucks to make a claim and have to 1) pay the deductible and 2) deal with this right at move-in, but hopefully she's not on the hook for the full cost of the repairs.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

On our previous house, we got lucky with the furnace going out in the middle of winter (house wasn't occupied for a couple of months) a few days before our inspection, which caused the pipes to freeze. Did about $15k worth of damage, which meant we got half of the basement re-drywalled and carpeted for free along with brand new hardwood flooring throughout the upstairs.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

We had a similar yearly root problem at our old house. The last guy we had it also recommended root x. We used it for a year, but then we moved so I can't say if it really helped or not, just another plumber's recommendation

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Demolition company. :rip: your house

Probably a plumber though, and cutting into drywalled ceiling to fix a leak shouldn't be that big of a deal. I'd think more on the order of several hundred rather than thousands.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

There are squirrels in my soffits and I found a chewed up tube of toothpaste with mouse poo poo all around in the bathroom drawer this morning.

Sometimes living next to a big prairie sucks

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

therobit posted:

Yeah for some reason chimneys are like scammer magnets. It is super common to have someone come in to clean one and them tell you that you need to spend like 2k on a liner or whatever.

Yeah, we had someone out to clean ours and it turned into a $1500 quote for refractory parcoating the inside and mechanical cleaning of the flue.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Whoops wrong thread

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm enjoying this season on This Old House where they keep mentioning a "tight budget" on a project that includes a completely new kitchen including a six foot bump out, a new front porch, building a whole new master suite on the second story including custom tiles in the bathroom, oh and a huge new garage with a whole apartment. That has to be $250k.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's what it sounds like, sure, but realistically they only make the budget sound tight in order to increase drama.

TOH isn't really about drama like that, but they were definitely playing it up as more of a limited budget than inflexible.

Which, to be fair, it is a pretty limited renovation compared to what they normally do on that show.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Every HGTV show is “The 24 year old husband has a part time job collecting house spiders and the 23 year old wife does an hour a week of substitute teaching. Their budget is only $800,000 so we have to make this work!”

Just once I’d like to see the Property Brothers do some work for poor people instead of trust fund babies.

The last episode I saw was somewhere near Atlanta. Home prices were reasonable as was the budget, less than $200k total iirc. Who knows how much of the prices they give are real, though.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Most cities have a “call before you dig” signage on poles and posts so you could check around and look for that.

For instance, WA/OR/MT/HI all use a common service it looks like: http://www.callbeforeyoudig.org

I think 811 is the national number and they'll direct you appropriately.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

FCKGW posted:

I haven’t seen gold anything so you’ll have to tell me where in your part of the world you see it’s back in style again because it sure as poo poo ain’t here.

Mid century modern has been making a big comeback the last few years, and it features a lot of wood tones, especially walnut, with brass or gold accents.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Nail Rat posted:

Speaking of furniture building, just got a countersink set for screws and man, was I stupid to not predrill/countersink before. Not only does doing so prevent splitting, but I think it probably takes less time to do the predrilling and then screw versus fight with the screw all the way. Definitely saves screwdriver bits too.

I'll get this poo poo figured out yet.

Get a pocket screw kreg jig

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The header above my garage door appears to be splitting and my garage roof is sagging a bit in the middle. What sort of contractor do I call for that?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

If this is a sudden change (past few days) I would get your car out of there, shut the door, and not go in until a contractor comes out. If it fails it could be sudden and catastrophic.

If you are handy and own a floor jack or two you can take some pressure off with a 4x4.

It's not, is just that I was finally up in on a ladder in my garage and really got a good look at the beam. Good warning though, should get it fixed sooner rather than later

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Never do HOA

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

GarethOmni posted:

And here I am bitching about my small 9k sqft lawn. I can barely find time to landscape what I want to do with all the other projects to do. Oh, and those drat moles.

I couldn't imagine trying to deal with acreage. Get me some of that flat grassy farmland if there is any, and a nice riding lawn mower. Speaking of farm fields, I hear you can get really good deals on grass seed by getting the seed farmers use for pasture if you are looking to get a ton of grass growing after uh, tearing apart your 6-8 acres.

Because the edge of my yard is now woods and prairie rather than landscaped edges/fences plus I use a riding mower, it takes me about the same time to cut and weed whacker my 1.25 acre yard as it did to cut my previous 1/4 acre.

I can't imagine having 6-8 acres of grass though. Turn it into some sort of natural landscape or an orchard or something. What is the point of that much grass?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Anyone have any troubleshooting advice for my riding mower that keeps dying after a couple of minutes?

Little bit of background, it's a mid-90's Poulan with a Tecumseh engine. Earlier this summer, it started running only with partial choke. So about a month ago, I replaced the carb, throttle body, air filter, spark plug and fuel cap. Ran great for two cuts after that, fired right up and ran for an hour or so with normal throttle.

Last weekend and now again this weekend, it'll fire right up when I first go to start it, run fine for a few minutes, then die. It won't start again for a minute it so, and then it'll only run for a very short time. I replaced the battery this weekend as well since it was very old and not holding a charge well anymore, but that didn't help. Doesn't matter if I've got it ongreat or blades engaged or not, still seems to start, run, and die on the same manner.

Any thoughts on what what I can test or replace? Grand total I still only have like $80 into this thing since I got it for free two years ago so it's still worth it to me to throw some parts at it.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

CloFan posted:

e: ^^ check the spark plugs, I bet they're fouling out. Was the carb OEM or aftermarket china?

I paid $30 for some faux wood ones at walmart, they are decent

Definitely some cheap aftermarket one, paid $20 for carb/air filter/fuel filter lol.

Not sure if oem is around anymore since Tecumseh stopped making engines I think?

If the plug is fouling what would be the next step to check? I am very bad with carbs.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

$2400 estimate to have a cleanout installed on my septic sandtrap...ugh

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

TheWevel posted:

6' shadowbox due to HOA requirements. If it was regular privacy it would be a lot cheaper. :(

Shadowbox has the added benefit of being that much more of a pain in the rear end to restain

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

Yep, this. Electric heat is a deal killer here. Well, I mean, usually unless you got some crazy good hookups and can score free or cheap datacenter leftover generators and are willing and able to deal with that kind of thing.

So, for example:

This 5 foot long 2000 lb generator that I'll be installing has a Ford 6 cylinder pickup truck motor in it and will only (lol, only) be able to produce about 185 watts of power:

It's a 35kw generator.

You need a 65k. And the cheap ones are like $16-20k not counting the transfer switch, panel and fuel storage. You will burn well over 100 gal per day if things are running full tilt.

Maybe I am confused but how is a six cylinder engine only putting out 185 Watts?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Started looking into some sort of wireless interconnected smoke/CO2 alarms since my house was built in the 80's and just has a bunch of stand alone units. I'd really rather not have to run wiring all over the house, so I was looking at these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-B...27448/205133645

but they're ionization-type detection only. First Alert offers a similar product, but they're photoelectric sensor only. Are either of these a reliable option? Just get this three pack and put them outside bedrooms/in garage/in basement near furnace, and still have photo/ion stand-alone sensor(s) elsewhere in the house?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

skipdogg posted:

My wifes grandparents have a kenmore gas dryer that turned 50 this year. Manufactured Jan 1969. Still does 1-2 loads a day

Nice

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

$2400 later and my septic system is functional again :toot:

bad news is the concrete at the top of the settling tank is starting to get pretty soft

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Sepist posted:

While I have the walls off, is there anything I should be adding to the main bathroom? It didn't have an exhaust fan, added that in on a 1/5/10/30/2 hour timer. I replaced all of the cloth wiring with romex, added 3 GFCI outlets, and am insulating the walls. I took pictures as we're reducing our bathroom storage by about 25% and I have a feeling my wife will want me to cut out some niches. Not gonna bother with heated flooring.

Where are your cut beams and sunken tub going??

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Tfw you're fine minutes late getting home with the generator and your basement floods

Unrelated, any tips for fixing sticking casement windows?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

check your insurance, some do full coverage for a new roof, others do diminished value coverage based on the age of the roof

but my parents and their neighbors both just got brand new roofs for $1k each that way so yeah definitely think about that option

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Residency Evil posted:

You guys are just joking right? :confused: This isn't a legit thing?

My parents and friends both just got new roofs for $1k each, deductible

I checked my policy and we have the depreciated value thing so I'll probably be changing policies soon.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

There are tons of shady fly by night roofing companies that do terrible work. I guess check with your neighbors?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I would try to match the original spacing, both those other options look off

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

they do make 2 panel x 4 panel doors as well, or even flat ones where you could have them cut the window in with better spacing? might be a little more expensive than your standard 4x4 though idk

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Sirotan posted:

Windows you can't even loving open is not something that you "just accept" with older homes. For a historic home it's not even that old. Your agent doesn't sound like they're really acting in your best interest because any other potential buyers of this home are going to learn about this issue through an inspection and unless your market is absolutely red hot (I assume not since you got the house for less than list) they're all going to ask the sellers to resolve this issue before the sale is finalized too.

And windows have to be replaced at some point. There are plenty of options out there for replacements that will keep the character of the originals, if you had to go that route.

Real estate agents have exactly one person's interest in mind

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What about gutter covers for pine needles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

are radon self-testing kits worth a drat?