Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Home ownership t-minus 31 days: a woman who owns a landscaping company told me about her crew of "Mexicans... but all legal and vaccinated!" that can do a landscaping job for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Started to get quotes for some yard work, curious what everyone would feel about these.

Project is converting a roughly 350 sqft area from two parking spots into a yard. Involves tearing out brick pavers, removing whatever underneath (probably gravel), removing several inches of dirt, then bringing in several inches of fresh dirt, then sod.

First quote was from a very young guy for $1k, but I don't get a sense that he knows what he's doing.

Second quote is from a larger, experienced company and should be between $5-$6k. They see the job as six days and the cost is basically entirely labor.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I mean, isn't oil actually used to condition wood? So as long as you're soaking up the access, I can't imagine it'd do anything long term damage-wise, I guess the biggest risk would be staining the cabinets?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Is dealing with contractors always nightmarish? Have booked some landscaping and cannot get them to call me back. So. loving. frustrating. Ahhhh.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I am sure their front desk person hates me but maybe call me the gently caress back so we can SETTLE ON THE ACTUAL START TIME.

Jesus christ.

And of course in this market my 6k job is too nothingburger for most of the companies to even bother (I had multiple landscapers tell me they're not doing anything under 100k!).

Thank gently caress this is the only major house thing we need to do right away when we buy the house we're purchasing... until we decide to redo the kitchen at some point.

I hate people and I hate everyone.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

What is the name of the part on blinds that raises and lowers them, and how easy is it to replace? Previous owner decided to remove them all :gasp:

Day 1 of home ownership :D

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Motronic posted:

Do you mean the stick thing that rotates the thing on top of the blinds to change the angle they are at?

I have no idea what that is called but your blinds are nasty and whatever it costs to get that stick is like 75% of the price to just buy new blinds that are both clean and in the color you want.

No, the string on the other side. They controls the blind height.

Yea it’s weird.

I’m gonna take most of the blinds down anyway. And probably just replace them in the bedroom where it’s the only room we care about.

Blinds are stupid.

I need to take one apart and see what’s happening because I’m confused how that piece is missing while everything is still strung.

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 5, 2021

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Also plantation shutters are loving stupid and it pains me that after I take these things down I need to store them for the next owner because these dumb things are custom made and cost probably thousands of dollars.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Sirotan posted:

They're not that difficult to restring, and it will be way cheaper than replacing all of your blinds. Idk what kind you have, if you google "<blind style> restring" you should find a million guides. New blinds/shades for an entire house are surprisingly expensive.

I don’t understand how it can be strung correctly but not have the adjustment pull. I need to take one apart.

But yea we only use blinds in our bedroom so I’ll probably just end up buying new ones if that doesn’t fix it and get rid of the rest. They’re fairly nice ones with wooden slats.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Oh my God you just push them up. I am so stupid

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I also spent two hours looking for the panel box and of course it’s outside because of a code change.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Well, it was good for a laugh. They're pretty nice. From Levolor. I guess thats a good brand? I mean I'm never buying new blinds because blinds on any room but our bedroom are worthless, but I guess they'll sit in the up position for the next several years! They're wood.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Also the previous owner left an enormous Persian rug and I have no idea what to do with it. It has no brand marks, is kind of faded, and is like, 15 x 12. Its got to weigh like a hundred pounds, its half an inch thick.

Is this worth anything? How the gently caress do you even appraise a rug?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

DaveSauce posted:

Did they leave it on purpose? Because IIRC in most states you have to give them a chance to claim it if they left it behind on accident. Personal property that doesn't contractually convey isn't necessarily yours after closing just because the seller left it behind.

Might want to ask your realtor about it, or better yet your closing attorney if you used one.

Should probably do this before determining its value... don't want to find out it's worth a ton of money and then have it taken away from you. IMO better for it to disappear assuming it's worthless.

I assume they left it on purpose considering they also left a matching runner which you could throw into the back of a car, and there's nothing else in the place. I will email my closing attorney though.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Sorry for post bombing the thread, but not sure where else this would go.

Anyone have recs for a good two sided code / keyed lock for a regular gate? I've found some two way locks for gates but for some reason you have to unlock on the side you locked, which is worthless.... best case would a key pad.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

StormDrain posted:

That's what I thought as well. A lever on the inside is easy to push and open using a stick. Using a knob solves that problem, unless it's a picket style steel gate that you can put your hand through and turn it. Then you add a shield that extends on each side to prevent that. In all cases, unless the top is blocked a determined party can climb over. I prefer to balance the real world with my convenience. I'm not punching a code everytime I walk through, I think the only kind that will work that way is normally locked and once you open it it locks again.

I don't even have a fence on one side of my house and I don't want one for the same reason, it's nice to have a big access available.

Its a vinyl gate, so, kind of poo poo.

But yea it opens to an alley in an urban area. Currently the 'security' method from the previous owner is a u-lock on the interior latch. Which works, but I can't open it from the outside, and seems unsafe. I'd like a solution that is safer, can be locked/opened from either end, and ideally would be able to be quickly opened in case of a fire.

Also to all the haters, suck it, it is a handloomed enormous rug that they left! (That I'm going to sell to a rug dealer.)

Also day 3 of homeownership, running costs: $1700.

And a rug shot for everyone reading my terrible posts:

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 6, 2021

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I would knock and give them a heads up about the pods and and if they don't answer leave a note introducing yourself and explaining the situation, apologizing for the inconvenience, and leaving your number incase they have any problems (which you can't solve because the Pods are the Pods, but, its a nice gesture).

Otherwise in general you'll get a sense of your neighbors because the nosey ones you'll hate will introduce themselves.

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 6, 2021

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Hadlock posted:

Well I already have a nice quality $600 knock off from Amazon

I was just mostly curious, if the thread thinks $24k for a rug is too much, is $4500 too much for a chair

I would pay $4500 for an Eames lounger because they actually retail for $6500 so its a deal.

But, yes I would actually pay $6500 for one if I was committed to buying one, for a few reasons:

* Even with the nice knockoffs Ekornes/Stressless I've found there's a difference in comfort and feel
* Eames loungers hold their value exceptionally well

With high end MCM furniture it depends a lot on the piece. I own a real Saarinen tulip chair (that I bought used) but a fake Nelson slat bench I got for $75 off Amazon.

Rug update: was offered $800 cash or $2000 in trade. Will go and see what rugs we can trade for!

It's a post-war Indian made knockoff of a Persian rug, but its still hand loomed.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Home ownership sure is fun.

Owned the house for 5 days, probably spend $3k so far, easily. Need to go back to Home Depot today and buy a ladder.

Some expected (rugs, bulbs, paint, stair treads) some unexpected (new couch).

We were excited to see the previous owner left smoke alarms but ah, no, they're 30 years old AND when you remove them you get to see the old wall color!

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Gonna own paying $700 for two outlets because that’s the floor for a local electrician to even bother in this market.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

It’s adding two new outlets. I know nothing about electrical work and don’t want to learn on plaster walls.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

One of our toilets is acting odd. Sometimes it doesn’t fill, then it does? Any thoughts?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Hadlock posted:

New tank fill unit, they are $20 at any hardware store. Eventually the float trigger gets sticky. Takes all of 5 minutes to replace. Any YouTube video canb walk you through it. Just make sure to turn off the supply valve at the wall first

You could limp it along with some jury rigging, but it's not worth the hassle

Yep thank you! I jiggled the fill valve and it filled. It seems to not fill after it’s been sitting, but then when it starts to fill it’ll keep filling. Replacement part o. the way.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I am now a baby lawn owner.

I am now the prod owner of like 400 sqft of basically new pavers. 3 pallets worth, basically. What are these worth? What can I do with them?

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 13, 2021

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Elephanthead posted:

You can pave a 4 foot by 100 foot path?

I don't know what happened to my picture. I hate mobile SA.

I guess I could also build a wall!

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

So, the air exchange in our tenants unit has no AC filter, and I don't think I can fit one in (the lip is too shallow for even an inch).

Huh.

Is there anywhere else this could be located? I checked the actual furnace and don't see anything. I guess I could try to cut one down to fit.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Yea I know that, the grate in the wall has no space for a filter, which is confusing to me =/ Each room has a single duct.

I might try to cut one down in width so it'll fit, but the grate doesn't seem like it was ever intended to be removed. To the manual!

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Home ownership is... expensive.

Anyway, I'm looking into yearly termite plans and I'm curious what people's experiences are.

Home is about 110 years old. On the termite inspection that was evidence of staining from a nest by one window in the basement... at some point, in the last 110 years. And there are some small holes in the original wood beams. Everything is structurally sound and there is no active infestation (good!) so this is not something that needs to be taken care of urgently at all

I had a company come out and they're quotiing me $800 in 'upfront' costs for a treatment for their piece of mind (and on my wallet..), and then $120ish a year after that for basically a termite bond on the property. Good? Bad?

Also found the one thing the PO kind of cheaped out on: the edge of our balcony floor is covered in this water sealant window tape, which: a. looks bad, and b. will only last 3-5 years. Its brand new so whatever, but at some point in the next 5 year going to have to spend $1500ish to get that redone properly.

Also have a furnace guy checking out the boiler since it suddenly got cold.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

DaveSauce posted:

Our termite warranty is currently around $150/year. Don't know what the treatment costs, but there are several different types that have different costs associated. PO had re-treated a year before we bought, so we're not due for a few more years.

If you're in an area that has termites, and there is evidence that they once visited your dining establishment, it's probably a good idea. Treatment at minimum, of course, but fixing termite damage costs thousands of dollars (both to eliminate the infestation and to repair the damage), so it's a good idea to protect against via the warranty.

Yea, I think we'll do it. Its not at the top of the list, and we just had the inspection so know everything is fine today, so this can wait for a few months. Will get some other bids too.

We are not a termite prone area and the house is mostly brick, concrete and steel, but better safe than sorry!

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Isn't it just a proxy or heat? Hotter = more termites.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Thank god. Late 1980s boiler still trucking along, just fine. Perfect shape, runs well. Just need to keep it serviced :toot:

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 21, 2021

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Steam heat?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Aluminum dryer vent hose - how hard is this to replace? Just patch with aluminum tape instead?

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 31, 2021

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Hadlock posted:

Ideally you replace the original part, but yeah

They cost like $10, so not a question of cost lol. How hard is to replace it?

To be clear its a vent hose, not a duct. Sorry.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

What's the best / most cost effective way to mow a 400 sqft yard? I own zero yard equipment, so here's a fun chance to buy some stuff!!

Its just grass surrounded by a fence.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Stupid loving fridge is leaking, reservoir for the water dispenser is cracked. I love home ownership.

Also any recs for a electric leaf blower? Would like to spend $200ish or less. Do not have a battery system currently so would need to buy a battery. Planning on grabbing something on Black Friday.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Also - and this is not a project anytime this year, or next year, but maybe in the next 5 years - what's a rough estimate to sand and refinish 1500 sqft of wood floor? Its 110 year old heart of pine. $15, $20k?

(becuase I'm a monster I would tear this out and replace it with modern wood floors in a heartbeat if it wouldn't knock $50k off the value of the home. same with our ugly rear end transome windows with stained glass) 

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Oh that's very nice.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I tried 3 leafblowers:

1. random Amazon brand my wife found, total garbage
2. 20v dewalt using existing batteries, total garbage
3. said gently caress it, invested in a nice 40v greenworks vacuum/blower, works like a champ. looked into some of the other battery deals for black friday but see myself needing more lawn stuff than power tools right now. and i already have some dewalt tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

AHH F/UGH posted:

They're not that bad, honestly. Just need to be cleaned new paint coat and some new hardware. Regardless, new cabinets would be going way overbudget and we're already basically at the end of our finances with the carpet, paint, baseboards, bathroom, the last two of which I didn't expect to have to do.

edit: We are getting new countertops in the kitchen though. I'm paying for those out of pocket.

Are you living in this house? Cause you seem to have been glossing over the many posts about how difficult it is to get cat and rat piss out of walls and floors and how you need to be tearing out the drywall while wringing your hands over the cost of a $27 enzyme cleaner. This does not bode well for the future. Also your comment about buying countertops "out of pocket". Where else would that money come from? And if you're concerned about a $27 cleaner... then I'm not sure what you expect other basic maintenance costs to be.

What I’m saying is make a thread because this has a lot of potential.

From how you’ve described the house (condition, price, the fact that it’s condition likely killed someone) it seems like it needs a gut and you’re settling for tearing out carpet and throwing down a single jug of cleaner. This isn't going to end well for either you and your family if you're living there, or whoever you end up selling this to.

(To give some personal perspective, too: I recently bought a house that was extremely well maintained by its previous owner with mostly new major fixtures, particularly for a house of its age. Even with all that, so far in two months of ownership I have spent: $120 for furnace check and yearly maintenance, at least $100 on miscellaneous repairs for things breaking, $240 on some plumbing work, and spent $130 getting my fridge repaired today. Also have a quote for $700 in preventive termite treatment -- something we'll probably do in the next 6 mos. to a year.)

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 3, 2021